Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Bored - Photo of my Unopened 80's Wax Collection - FIRST ORGANIZATION

Most of this was acquired last year. image

Comments

• esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Nice! That is a nice build up in just a year. Time to set up a display shelf? Love the '81 OPC.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • NIIIIIICE!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Thanks! I did a lot of good shopping last year. I will eventually get a display case of some sort. I do like that 81 OPC. I was able to get a second hand BBCE box, so I had no problem playing a premium on it. OPC boxes have been some of the more difficult stuff to get. Lately, I have been focusing on rare types of packs.

Not pictured is a box of Topps 89 Jumbo packs (100 cards per pack). Some random Jumbo packs from 87-90. Also a grip of Topps Grocery packs from 81-86. I think they come in packs of 12? I dont have boxes for them, so for now they will remain as loose packs. Eventually I will get to 1980. Goal being to have at least one sealed box of all varieties from the 80's. Focus is baseball.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • Looks like you bought enough for everyone. So, when is the party? I'm available for ripping any day this week!!!
  • dalstar66dalstar66 Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Great Job collecting all that in a year!

Which Football years do you have so far?
    Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing
  • Love it! I still need to get a few of those boxes. Waiting for BBCE to get in some more 84 Fleer wax boxes. Let me ask you, is this picture recent because I see you have 2 84 Donruss wax boxes but I'm pretty sure I recall you opening up a box and even making a thread. So you had 3 Donruss wax boxes or now are you down to 1?
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.....for whatever reason I started singing dust in the wind in my head when seeing that wax! image

In all seriousness, great start, some of my favorites in that pic.
  • Impressive collection for 1 year! Congratulations. So what's on the radar for the rest of 2013?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great Job collecting all that in a year!

Which Football years do you have so far? >>

Ya, what he said!! Seriously, nice stash!image
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I am going to admit something. I have always liked the 1988 Topps baseball cards. I plowed through a LOT of those packs, and I never got tired of them. I still think it is one of the nicest sets of the 80's. Obviously, since Topps made enough of them to cover the planet, they don't have a lot of value. But seeing that box brings back a lot of good memories.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • As far as Football goes, I really only have 1 cello box of 1987, but 6 cellos of 88 and 4 wax from 88 as well. I got them cheap. The rest of the decade is far too pricey for me to seriously consider at this time.

@Foo - I got a nice stash from all years and makes, and one of them was a box of 84 Donruss, which was my third. Those two I picked up from BBCE and they remain in their sealed state for the time being.

@DCan - My 2013 list includes: 1985 Topps rack; 1983 Fleer Wax; 1982 Topps Cello, Rack; 1983 Topps Cello, Rack; 1984 Topps Cello...as it gets closer and still available and even though I think its a waste of money, I have been eyeing that 1985 Topps Traded Wax box. But where else can ya get it? And to flesh out the rest of the year, some rack boxes and cellos from the junk wax era. I would like to pick up a sealed Wax Case of Topps 1986 and a 1989 Fleer wax case. In addition, slowly cherry pick odd packs like grocery packs. I managed to get the 1984 Topps Grocery Rack with Strawberry on top from BBCE and they also had 2 Grocery racks from 1985. My goal on those is to have a dozen of each year. Once all of this is set. Then I will focus primarily on 1980.

My favorites in this collection so far is the 1981 OPC; 1985 Fleer Cello; 1985 Topps Cello and, oddly, those 2 big blue boxes in the corner are actually from 1993. They are jumbo packs with 5 Gold cards in each pack from Jeter's rookie year. Not easy to come by (all things considered). They have 3 or 4 different pack types from 93 with varying amounts of Gold cards per pack from 1, 2, or 5 I believe are the different varieties. My other favorites include the 84 Donruss and then the 1989 and 1990 OPC boxes. Those seem almost as hard to find as 1991 and found them at a good price. So getting those was a waiting game.
  • ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 1989 and 1990 OPC? Well done. I can't find those to save my life. If you ever want to sell please put me on the top of your contact list.

• << <i>Wow, 1989 and 1990 OPC? Well done. I can't find those to save my life. If you ever want to sell please put me on the top of your contact list. >>

Seriously! Took me a while to find some. eBay sellers are asking $20 just for the boxes on those! 1991 is equally difficult if not more. Recent auctions were between $90 and $120 a box. I was fortunate to get 2 boxes of each 89 and 90 for $40 each and grabbed them ASAP. 1988 seems more common or just not as desirable. I think the latter, personally.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff!

I picked up some additions of my own this weekend for 100.00:

(2) cases of 1989 Topps (40.00 each locally - no shipping charge image)
    (4) boxes of 1986 Topps Wax (8.00 per box locally)
    (1) box of 1986 OPC Wax (25.00 locally)

My wife isn't happy about the space the unopened 80s is starting to take up. image

Justin
  • Your going to need a bigger shoebox to fit those into Justin image

• << <i>Great stuff!

My wife isn't happy about the space the unopened 80s is starting to take up. image

Justin >>

Wow! Nice pick ups. 86 Topps Wax at $8 is a steal!! And 2 cases?!? Wax I assume. The local store here wants $36 a box! Yikes! no thank you.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great stuff!

Justin >>

Wow! Nice pick ups. 86 Topps Wax at $8 is a steal!! And 2 cases?!? Wax I assume. The local store here wants $36 a box! Yikes! no thank you. >>

Totally agree. I've been going by card shops lately inquiring about the unopened 80s they have. Most are not too updated with the unopened market actually. They understand the 70s are getting harder to find, but they haven't grasped the 80s unopened starting to trend upward. Time to capitalize if you can!

Justin

• << <i>I picked up some additions of my own this weekend for 100.00:

Justin >>

Did those 1989 Topps baseball cases have any Michigan Test packs?

Damn good prices on those cases BTW, I usually have to pay about $100 per case.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that was good on the 89 cases in my experience. $100 is just about what I've paid.
  • Hey Mygotta, I can't see your pic...maybe it is a China thing like facebook and youtube. But I always enjoy reading your posts and feeling your enthusiasm. I have given up on the 1970s...too pricey. I am glad I bought a small stash years ago.
    I have noticed that there is large variance in what is available in the early 80s. As I mentioned in several previous posts, I get a sense that the inventory of 80-85 is very shallow and can dry up as quickly as the 76-79 did over the past couple years. Who knows?
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!

• << <i>Hey Mygotta, I can't see your pic...maybe it is a China thing like facebook and youtube. But I always enjoy reading your posts and feeling your enthusiasm. I have given up on the 1970s...too pricey. I am glad I bought a small stash years ago.
    I have noticed that there is large variance in what is available in the early 80s. As I mentioned in several previous posts, I get a sense that the inventory of 80-85 is very shallow and can dry up as quickly as the 76-79 did over the past couple years. Who knows? >>

Does this mean you are in China? Or that the computers parts made in China dont work in the US?

Not sure why the photo is not there. But a description does not do much justice, but lets just say there is roughly 40 boxes varying from 1981-1991. lol

Needless to say, yes, I agree. It seems like a good wave to catch while its cheap and, as mentioned by Justin, stores might not be on the pulse of how its drying up. I would like to get a 79 or 78 box one day for my collection. But its not on my radar. Once my 80's is complete, I will probably start seriously looking at the 90's. Those are super cheap. Looking through, most boxes average $10 (save for like 93 Finest and SP). Seems once 2000 breaks, the business changed to start charging $80 out of the case. Completely different market. Just look at BBCE case price of 1990 Traded. $75 for 100 sets! Thats .75 cents a set. Its clearly a sad sad set. But it was available in both wax packs and 3 kinds of set boxes (I think 3).

• I got really welcome and nice feedback from everyone, I thought I would post what was not in the photo or stuff that was hidden to get a better view. Who doesn't like photos here??

Commentary: This is a photo of 1989 Jumbo packs. 100 cards to a pack, 18 packs to a sealed box, which becomes a display case. They made these from 1987-1991. I think they replaced the Grocery Rack Packs.

Commentary: These are assorted Jumbo packs. 1990 mostly, a 1991, and a 1987 with Dale Murphy on top.

Commentary: This is a near complete set of 1986 Topps Grocery Rack Packs. 2 of them have Roger Clemens on top. I see some sellers break these down to sell the blocks individually as "cello" packs. I would avoid those as they are not in their original state. I am putting these together pack by pack, but I think they come as units of 12? Can anyone verify this?

Commentary: These are assorted Grocery Rack Packs from 1981-1985, courtesy of Estil. I added from the latest group rip a 1984 Grocery rack with Strawberry on top, and 2 1985 Grocery Rack packs. These seem the toughest of all the years to get in this form.

Commentary: Standard Topps boxes. The bigger 1983 are the Michigan test packs. Surprisingly I don't have an 84 box (although I have a rack box, with 2 Strawberry rookies on the bottom). But this is probably the least exciting set for me of the 80's, despite the good cards inherent in the set - with a good design IMO. Sorry for the upside down photo. Cant seem to get it upright.

Commentary: My current OPC collection. These are tough to get, save the 1992 set. I noticed from 1988-1992, there are factory sets out there. Hard to get as well!

Commentary: I actually like the 1987 Leaf set. This set, in my opinion is a better buy than 1987 OPC. Better rookie crop for a Canadian set with Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro and Maddux. Only Larkin is missing.

Commentary: My small entry into Hockey with these 1989/90 OPC. Apparently I misinformed myself thinking OPC is always the one to get when it came to Hockey. Well, this is the one year Topps is the one to get. No wonder I got them so cheap.

Commentary: Last but not leasts is my small, but respectable Heritage collection. I really like the blister pack of the 2001 Heritage. I think those are tougher than the regular hobby box. I once was gonna pursue one of each year, but the 80's proved to be enough of a focus by itself. So these will wait unless something I cant resist comes up.

Hope you enjoyed my show and tell. image
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Love the pics! Thanks for sharing!
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Great thread and pics! I'll never know how you unopened pack collectors do it. All it'd take for me is one lazy Saturday and I'd be buried is stale gum and empty boxes.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff

• << <i>Great thread and pics! I'll never know how you unopened pack collectors do it. All it'd take for me is one lazy Saturday and I'd be buried is stale gum and empty boxes. >>

+1

I only know how to rip!! As hard as I try I can't save anything!
    I have no collecting direction. I just buy stuff!

• << <i>

<< <i>Great thread and pics! I'll never know how you unopened pack collectors do it. All it'd take for me is one lazy Saturday and I'd be buried is stale gum and empty boxes. >>

+1

I only know how to rip!! As hard as I try I can't save anything! >>

Some of it regret. Some of it is experience. Some of it is letdown. Some of it is inspiration of the possibilities of what lies within those packs. Some of it is how nice they look all sealed and stuff. image So I think its an accumulation. But have no fear. It crosses my mind daily whether to open or not. I have though that once I have my loose cards sorted out, and cards piled that I was to send to PSA. Then I will consider ripping this stuff.

Unless there is an 80's unopened boom where I can suddenly quadruple my money. Then I would consider selling it. lol
  • I like threads like these. People showing pictures of there collections. Thats what its all about.

Thanks for sharing mygotta. Loving the pictures.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Great looking collection!!! Now you just need to get some shelving and you'll be all set. If you end up giving in to this guy image, you'll just have to buy more to restock the shelves. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

• << <i>Great looking collection!!! Now you just need to get some shelving and you'll be all set. If you end up giving in to this guy image, you'll just have to buy more to restock the shelves. image >>

He already convinced me to open a box of 84 and 85 Donruss. Both of which I did not find much in the way of submission, but exciting to open up.

But he convinces me less to open a new box, but rather to buy more boxes! I dont know which is more evil!! image
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad to hear those packs I sold you seemed to have gone to someone who truly appreciates them! I don't know about the rest of you but I'd much rather have cards go to someone who is getting them for their collection as opposed to some big dealer who just wants to cash in on any 10s image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    Love those OPC Boxes!

Here's my OPC Stash:

Here are some of my 80's cases...
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Anthony, love the boxes. You have a great start to your un-opened collection.

Eric - Dude you are the OPC and case king. image

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • I love those boxes of OPC you got there!! Those cases look mighty sweet as well.

This is one image I forgot to post, but in the corner there is a 3-box case if 1986 Topps rack packs. Currently the only case I own. I do hope to change some of that this year.
  • 1982 Topps Grocery Rack Packs from the group rip - These are now complete as far as I am concerned with a dozen on hand. No box though.

Adding to my collection is an 84 Grocery Rack pack, raising it to 2 packs, and then 2 1985 Grocery Rack packs raising my total to 3. So those will take some time to complete. Again, no box.

1987 Cello from the group rip. Added a box of 1985 Donruss wax and 1985 Fleer Cello from the group rip - because you can never have enough 1985 wax.

I don't remember ever seeing those 100-card jumbo packs as a kid but your pics worked as I just picked up a case.

• << <i>I don't remember ever seeing those 100-card jumbo packs as a kid but your pics worked as I just picked up a case. >>

Cool. Glad I can help. What year did you get?

Earlier in the year I bought a box of 1987 from someone and the darned thing got lost in the mail. And the dude never refunded me. He was communicative, but was not invested in refunding me. And while he kept me waiting, it ended up being too late to put in a PayPal report to retrieve it. Ugh. As complete boxes go, they are not easy to come by.
    It's a 1989.

Do you happen to know anything about the rookie insert cards that are in these packs? Were these packs the only ones they were available in?

• << <i>It's a 1989.

Do you happen to know anything about the rookie insert cards that are in these packs? Were these packs the only ones they were available in? >>

I believe they are the only place you can get them. Regular rack packs have the All-Stars. While these Jumbo's had the Rookie All-Star Team. They appear similar glossy/white stock. I will have to look over what I have, but they are present in 1987, 1988 and 1989. I have to double check the 1990 and 1991. There is also a Bowman 1990 jumbo, which for some reason has 62 cards per pack.
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    I worked for a local grocery store as a kid in 1988 and 1989, and remember those super cellos very well, as the market received a case each year and I was fortunate enough to set up the display. Was able to cherry pick before they hit the floor. Ah, the good 'ol days!

• << <i>I worked for a local grocery store as a kid in 1988 and 1989, and remember those super cellos very well, as the market received a case each year and I was fortunate enough to set up the display. Was able to cherry pick before they hit the floor. Ah, the good 'ol days! >>

So it does make sense that they replaced the Grocery Rack Packs for these super cellos or Jumbo packs.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Great stuff, I love the pics and your sharing a little commentary. Guess I need to take some pics of my early 80's boxes as well.

Can't believe those unopened cases Eric! NICE
  • It's been a while since I updated this thread of mine. I have not invested as heavily as last year, but this year called for some changes. But these are some of my latest pick ups which I am happy to have found:

Commentary: These are two boxes of 1987 Jumbo boxes. These were not very cheap considering the cards that are in them, but I got them mainly for the rarity of the box and packs. There is one box on eBay resting at $100 which I wont touch and the seller won't budge much on the price. So he can keep them. These are in packs of 100 as well with the All Star Rookie Team special cards in each pack. So they are a welcome addition to this collection.

I'm still on the look out for a 1988 box to complete the 80's run. I know a 1990 and 1991 jumbo packs exist, but have not seen boxes of those either.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Nice additions to the collection!!! Good luck finding those remaining holes in the collection.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Wow....great stuff! image
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Commentary: These are two boxes of 1987 Jumbo boxes. These were not very cheap considering the cards that are in them, but I got them mainly for the rarity of the box and packs. There is one box on eBay resting at $100 which I wont touch and the seller won't budge much on the price. So he can keep them. These are in packs of 100 as well with the All Star Rookie Team special cards in each pack. So they are a welcome addition to this collection. >>

I don't remember coming across these back in the day. Any idea as if these were a regional thing or retailer (i.e. Walmart) exclusive? Has the gum fused to the top cards? Any Bonds or Bo showing?

Snorto~

• << <i>

<< <i>Commentary: These are two boxes of 1987 Jumbo boxes. These were not very cheap considering the cards that are in them, but I got them mainly for the rarity of the box and packs. There is one box on eBay resting at $100 which I wont touch and the seller won't budge much on the price. So he can keep them. These are in packs of 100 as well with the All Star Rookie Team special cards in each pack. So they are a welcome addition to this collection. >>

I don't remember coming across these back in the day. Any idea as if these were a regional thing or retailer (i.e. Walmart) exclusive? Has the gum fused to the top cards? Any Bonds or Bo showing?

Snorto~ >>

I dont know if these were retailer exclusive. Were they doing that sort of thing back in 1987? There is nothing stating it is. I have not examined any of the cards for stars at this time. But when I collected, I do not remember seeing these either in the stores. The only thing that I can gather is they replaced the grocery rack packs as 1986 seemed the last year they made those. Regular rack packs in 1987 exist. The jumbo came 18 to a box. There is another picture earlier in this thread of an 1989 jumbo which is the same. I have 1990 Bowman Jumbo as well, but packaged differently.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am going to admit something. I have always liked the 1988 Topps baseball cards. I plowed through a LOT of those packs, and I never got tired of them. I still think it is one of the nicest sets of the 80's. Obviously, since Topps made enough of them to cover the planet, they don't have a lot of value. But seeing that box brings back a lot of good memories. >>

Agreed.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭
    I specifically remember getting a pack 87 of jumbo at my local grocery store. I was thrilled to get 100 cards in one pack. Good times!
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    I am really glad to see the love for 80's unopened. My best collecting memories come from those years.

Thanks for sharing!