Home Precious Metals
Options

Poll - Is the price of PMs being manipulated?

derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the purposes of this poll manipulation is considered a deliberate attempt or action which creates a misleading price.

You cant see the results until you give your opinion.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I voted yes.

• Options
    Try and buy physical silver for anywhere near spot price. The paper has gone down and the premiums have gone up.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    It's close!
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Voted "yes."Certainly seems "artificially managed" , maybe to accomplish some constructive stability in other financial instruments (dollar? equities?)yet certainly the "appearance of wrongdoing" has become the norm, and it is too easy to assume a nefarious purpose.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really have not a clue, other than when I go to sell, the price drops like a rock, and when I go to buy
    it's like a rocket to the moon. Somebody in government is reading my mind and thus manipulates the price.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I say if it is being manipulated that we take advantage of the opportunity while it's low. Once they run out of gold to flood the market... the price should go up.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Directly or indirectly, every market is manipulated in one way or another. I do not believe the PM markets are being directly manipulated to create misleading prices.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Is this a trick question?
    Of course! Old news.
    Try to ride the coat tails is all we can hope to do!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously YES. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does a bear s**t in the woods?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    uh huh
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We read on here that everything is rigged and manipulated, that all freedom and liberty is gone, and that the constitution, the dollar, and every social and cultural institution in America are dead.

The only question left appears to be, who is more deluded, the people who still believe in and love the United States (with all its faults) , or those who don't, but still stay here anyway and voluntarily participate in what they believe to be corrupt markets?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>We read on here that everything is rigged and manipulated, that all freedom and liberty is gone, and that the constitution, the dollar, and every social and cultural institution in America are dead.

The only question left appears to be, who is more deluded, the people who still believe in and love the United States (with all its faults) , or those who don't, but still stay here anyway and voluntarily participate in what they believe to be corrupt markets? >>

Belief that markets are manipulated, that personal freedom and liberty are disappearing and that the constitution, the dollar and institutions are dying might get one added to the Baley "watchlist," but I doubt they have much to do with one's love and belief in America.

You have to much blind faith grasshopper. I'll have to side with these deluded people:

"Distrust and Caution are the parents of security." - Ben Franklin

"A government is like a fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." - George Washington

"History, in general, only informs us what bad government is." - Thomas Jefferson

"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men." - Abraham Lincoln

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

• Options
    LowBudgetLowBudget Posts: 383 ✭✭
    if its all fixed, have you sold it all? No point in holding it one more day.
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options
    it's interesting to see in the poll results that so many on the precious metals forum members think that metals prices are being manipulated higher by gloom-n-doomers, conspiracy theorists, and folks making money selling newsletter blogs and novelty metals products at premium to spot as a business for a profit.

• Options

<< <i>it's interesting to see in the poll results that so many on the precious metals forum members think that metals prices are being manipulated higher by gloom-n-doomers, conspiracy theorists, and folks making money selling newsletter blogs and novelty metals products at premium to spot as a business for a profit. >>

Higher or lower, manipulation is manipulation. image

Why don't you just write off the poll results as more internet propoganda.

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Hhhmmm. It's the dreaded 20% - 80% ratio.

Total Votes: 71
    Yes
    58 (votes) 81.69 (%)
    No
    13 (votes) 18.31 (%)

It's said that -

20% of the fisherman catch 80% of the fish, the remaining 80% of the fisherman catch the remaining 20% of fish.

I bet the 20% No voters in the poll have made money off PMs, the remaining 80% who said Yes are still waiting to make money.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>it's interesting to see in the poll results that so many on the precious metals forum members think that metals prices are being manipulated higher by gloom-n-doomers, conspiracy theorists, and folks making money selling newsletter blogs and novelty metals products at premium to spot as a business for a profit. >>

Higher or lower, manipulation is manipulation. image

Why don't you just write off the poll results as more internet propoganda. >>

No, it's more likely "sampling bias" image

• Options
    other applications of the 80/20 rule: 20% of the employees do 80% of the work, and 80% of the things people worry about have only a 20% probability of occurring

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the US government manipulate the price of gold and silver when gold was $35 and silver was $1.29 for many years? Did the Hunt brothers manipulate the price of silver when it hit $50 per ounce?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Voted Yes, but don't care. Can't care or be too concerned because I really can't do a think about it.
    It goes as it goes, so I am trying to look at the overall view and how best to work it for me.

Anywho, no one knows for sure where its going, even if you know its fixed, or not. All the predictions were for climbs,
    until short views showed lack of support. Too many variables.

So, given that, its best that "being rigged" is accounted for in your planning. So work the system.
    COA
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh,

Manipulation is such a nasty wordimage

How bout we term it...... "subject to market forces" image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, which one of you conspiracy nuts is responsible for last weeks silver gain manipulation?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>So, which one of you conspiracy nuts is responsible for last weeks silver gain manipulation? >>

That was me, working the system.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So, which one of you conspiracy nuts is responsible for last weeks silver gain manipulation? >>

That was me, working the system. >>

Good job...How about a repeat performance for this coming week.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The floor goes lower, and it never reaches the ceiling until it bounces off the floor.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold at $1475 - 0417 Eastern Time
    Silver @ $24.36.

What will the week hold? image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on guys, lets help out the OP. Theres just gotta be at least 100 people who think PMs are manipulated.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    I bet the 20% No voters in the poll have made money off PMs, the remaining 80% who said Yes are still waiting to make money.

I couldnt have said better myself.

Many, many people have been promised higher PM prices through fear mongering, politicizing, and indisputable "fundamentals". They are now wondering what happened to that promise. And since the story was so good, there must be a manipulative conspiracy to suppress metals prices.

I wonder what the response of people would be if one went to a baseball game and told people that gold was nearly $1500 per ounce. My bet would be, "Wow, I cant believe its so high."

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some more internet propaganda - NOT!

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>I bet the 20% No voters in the poll have made money off PMs, the remaining 80% who said Yes are still waiting to make money.

I couldnt have said better myself.

Many, many people have been promised higher PM prices through fear mongering, politicizing, and indisputable "fundamentals". They are now wondering what happened to that promise. And since the story was so good, there must be a manipulative conspiracy to suppress metals prices.

I wonder what the response of people would be if one went to a baseball game and told people that gold was nearly $1500 per ounce. My bet would be, "Wow, I cant believe its so high." >>

FWIW, I'm in the 80% saying yes and I have never not made money selling PMs. Then again, I have never panic sold after a price drop.

• Options
    THey gave THe TRee a SHake ToDay image

• Options
    Confirmed, 83% of Americans feel Precious Metals are being manipulated. image (Where is that tongue in cheek emoticon).

• Options

<< <i>Confirmed, 83% of Americans feel Precious Metals are being manipulated. image (Where is that tongue in cheek emoticon). >>

I'm surprised that the results were not at 95% considering it was taken in a PM forum. You will get a similar results by taking a poll in a doomsday prepper forum, and asking: "Do you believe in the imminent collapse of the US Dollar and should I stockpile one years worth of Food & Ammo."
  • Options
    15 shills image

• Options
    Wai.. wha?

is the price of PMs being manipulated For us or Against us? And how can we tell? Did they take your money? Or did you read about it on the intranets?

Looking for stories of how PM "manipulation" has affected you personally. There should be 80+ stories forthcomin?

• Options

<< <i>Wai.. wha?

is the price of PMs being manipulated For us or Against us? And how can we tell? Did they take your money? Or did you read about it on the intranets?

Looking for stories of how PM "manipulation" has affected you personally. There should be 80+ stories forthcomin? >>

It made 90% of all PM purchases since 5/2011 being underwaterimage
  • Options

<< <i>Looking for stories of how PM "manipulation" has affected you personally. There should be 80+ stories forthcomin?

• Options
    Okay, I laughed out loud on that one.

• Options
    It made 90% of all PM purchases since 5/2011 being underwater

Is that why some are cryin, MANIPULATION WAAA Waaaaa! image You'd think they'd be Happy image stackin at 50% off sale prices

Obviously, no one who voted "No" has anything to cry about, they just think it's the market doing what markets do including attempts at gaming them short term one way or the other

• Options
    illegal "gaming" = manipulation. The practice of naked shorting (sales with no intention of ever delivering the metal) is illegal.

If we really believed being temporarily underwater was so bad most of us would probably not have a home. Homes will be underwater much longer than recent metal purchases. "Underwater" is a temporary state in an economy loaded with money supply inflation and dollar destruction policy. If fundamentals don't do it (and they will) inflation will take care of "underwater" metals.

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I hope that they are manipulating, I really do. I want them to keep crashing the PM market so I can afford to buy more. Id love to be adding 100s of ounces with each purchase I make instead of 10-20 image

In all seriousness, it really doesn't matter as none of us can change it. There is nothing we can do to change the outcome.

I am stacking for the long haul and i will be a buyer for a long time. Short term price movements only change how many oz i can buy at a given time.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    how about now?

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>illegal "gaming" = manipulation. The practice of naked shorting (sales with no intention of ever delivering the metal) is illegal.

If we really believed being temporarily underwater was so bad most of us would probably not have a home. Homes will be underwater much longer than recent metal purchases. "Underwater" is a temporary state in an economy loaded with money supply inflation and dollar destruction policy. If fundamentals don't do it (and they will) inflation will take care of "underwater" metals. >>

Lol, what about buyers never intending to take delivery?...
    Inflation makes everything go up and doesn't make pm's go up more... Lol, maybe you changed all your old theories....
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In another thread about the rigging of markets a fellow member posed an interesting question that basically asks "how many people believe markets are rigged?"

For the purposes of this poll manipulation is considered a deliberate attempt or action which creates a misleading price.

For the 17% of people that responded no....they obviously didn't read the question very carefully. By answering no, you are stating that no "markets at any time, have had any deliberate attempt or action to create a misleading price."

Unless one has not been reading the newspapers for the past 5 years ($Billions in fines levied against big banks for interest rates and libor rigging, housing market rigging, commodity rigging, currency rigging, etc.)....I don't see how anyone could vote no....unless there's personal interpretations being applied of what "rigged" means. In any case, it's defined above for this poll. Some of the people that stated NO here, have stated YES in other places that "some rigging" is a part of normal market life. So is the poll just a reflection of the definition that "some rigging" is "no rigging" for the 17%. And the best rigged market of the past 2 months....driving oil down to $44. A masterful move by the masterminds. I guess the cure for low prices, are even lower prices. Though I never thought $60-$90 oil was all that high against a back drop of 18,000 Dow. image

There's something much bigger coming down the pike. We'll all know what that is in due time. Fwiw, I would have voted that markets are "rigged" back in 2004-2008. It has nothing to do with 2011-2015.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Were PMs manipulated from $1000 to 1900 and then back to $1200 so that, "Germany could get its gold back, as a favor to the Chinese, to fleece the sheeple out of their "true money", to solely enrich the evil banksters, as part of a New World Order, ect"?

NO.

Did some banks shave a few dollars on some trades? Probably.

Did lots of people lose lots of money buying PMs in hopes of "protecting" themselves and blame those losses on "manipulation" rather than accept personal responsibility? Absolutely.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    I've said it many times before, when I buy an asset, stock, metals, whatever... and it goes down, of course there is manipulation and it really gets my goat.
    Of course, when said investment goes up, it's in spite of manipulation and just an indication of my superior investing skill.