Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post your greatest eBay steals here with pics

Please? I would be very entertained if members of this board would do so. If you bought a coin which ended up being worth much more than you bought it for-including pictures of the coin, details of the auction, etc, go ahead and post it here. If it is a current auction, or you are waiting to receive the coin, then of course don't post it! I would start with mine now-but I don't have pictures of the coins, they are in a bank vault. My best purchase was an 1886 s morgan dollar in ms 62 for 280 dollars. The coin had slight purple toning, and it is probably worth about 350-400 now. I know, it isn't a really a steal-but most other purchases where I came out on top would be influenced by the value of the silver content of the coins. So go ahead and show off your eBay steals. I would love to see them to learn more, or just for fun.

Comments

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchased raw in a Buy it Now for $350, now residing in a PCGS MS61 holder:

• Options
    Wow, when was that? That seller did not do their due diligence. I'll be your lawyer if the morality police come later in this thread.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    bought it because i like it, when im the one buying the coin, the only opinion that matters is mine.

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    What did you buy the quarter for, and what is it worth now?
  • Options
    id say its in the neighborhood of a $1500 coin. ive yet to make a huge score off ebay, i do much better off dealer websites
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 15 years ago, I spent 30 minutes on e-bay, didn't like what I saw, and have not been back since. That, plus what I know about the perils of grading from an image of a coin, I see no reason to return to the site for coins.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    i honestly wish more people felt that way
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CC Morgan was a heck of a great score....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, when was that? That seller did not do their due diligence. I'll be your lawyer if the morality police come later in this thread. >>

It was a little over two years ago about two weeks before Christmas. The listing was three days old when I found it. The seller's pics were less than optimal, so I monkeyed with them in Photoshop and saw what looked like original luster and Unc details. It was a "Buy it Now or Best Offer" - I didn't bother with making an offer and hit the BIN.
    Thanks for the lawyer help offer - I figure the fact that it had been sitting there for 3+ days should absolve me... image
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $18 Buy It Now in December 2012 ...
    (My jaw dropped when I saw it)

• Options
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$18 Buy It Now in December 2012 ...
    (My jaw dropped when I saw it)

image >>

That's a you suck award IMO. image
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought this one as an NGC AU55 in March 2000 for $540. Crossed to PCGS as AU50. Figured I about doubled my money.

JH

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the only bidder on this 1917-D 3-1/2 legger that sold for $175 too long ago to remember exactly. I guess others were scared off by the NNC slab grading it MS-62, but I didn't care if it was only an AU or even an EF.

No idea why no other cherrypicker didn't spot this 2-feathers that was unattributed in an NGC MS-64 slab even longer ago than the legger, but I was glad to get it for $80. Don't think I'd be as lucky today

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    1950 Franklin PCGS PF-65 CAM. Purchased in 2012 within 10 minutes of auction listing. BIN $500 with free shipping. Alerted to this by a forum member. BIN was at LEAST 50% below market value.

Seller's communication was spotty and shipping very late -- thought Seller would back out, but it all worked out.

• Options

I know that coin has graded at PCGS, but that looks like a brutally artificially toned coin. I don't understand why that graded. There is nothing natural about that look.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    Here are a couple.......

Submitted ATS came back 68* pop 2/0

Bought a 1941 "mint "set" image on ebay.....for under $60.00...it was a proof set image

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ancient of Octavian. Got it for $125 and its easily a $300-$500 coin depending on the dealer you'd buy it from. Its pretty scarce too.

Octavian, Triumvir and Imperator, Augustus (27 B.C. - 14 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Bare head of Octavian right.
    R: CAESAR DIVI F, Mercury seated right on rock, playing lyre, petasos around neck.
    Struck 32 B.C. - 31 B.C.
    Rome? Mint
    3.33g
    RIC 257, CRI 401, BMCRR 4335
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1950 Franklin PCGS PF-65 CAM. Purchased in 2012 within 10 minutes of auction listing. BIN $500 with free shipping. Alerted to this by a forum member. BIN was at LEAST 50% below market value.

Seller's communication was spotty and shipping very late -- thought Seller would back out, but it all worked out. >>

nice score.
  • Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

I know that coin has graded at PCGS, but that looks like a brutally artificially toned coin. I don't understand why that graded. There is nothing natural about that look. >>

+1
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a roll of 1960-D Small date's for $6 and when i opened the roll, I found 14 Small over Lg dates gave some out to some of the board members and sent some in for grading rec 6-MS64RD, 7-MS65RD and 1-MS66RD Sold the 66 for 2k. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭

<< <i>I picked up a roll of 1960-D Small date's for $6 and when i opened the roll, I found 14 Small over Lg dates gave some out to some of the board members and sent some in for grading rec 6-MS64RD, 7-MS65RD and 1-MS66RD Sold the 66 for 2k. image >>

That is awesome!
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    1942/1-D 10C ANACS EF-40 old holder, bought off ebay in 2011 for $450. Don't know if it was a steal but was able to BIN instead of waiting another 5 or 6 days for the auction to run its course. (auction was started at $399.99 or BIN for the $450) I'm glad I pulled the trigger, it's one of my favorite purchases off the bay. imageimage
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options

<< <i>My ancient of Octavian. Got it for $125 and its easily a $300-$500 coin depending on the dealer you'd buy it from. Its pretty scarce too.

Octavian, Triumvir and Imperator, Augustus (27 B.C. - 14 A.D.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Bare head of Octavian right.
    R: CAESAR DIVI F, Mercury seated right on rock, playing lyre, petasos around neck.
    Struck 32 B.C. - 31 B.C.
    Rome? Mint
    3.33g
    RIC 257, CRI 401, BMCRR 4335 >>

That's a rare 31 over 32 BC variety to boot!
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Do not break the plastic on the 61 proof half. image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    That is an ugly, altered coin that never should have received a numerical grade at any service. Send that one back in, they will buy it back from you. YUCK.
  • Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I don't have the link anymore but about 12 years ago I bought a 1939 jeff which was suppose to be ms with a poor obverse pic for $3 plus$1 for shipping. When I got it I was disappointed as it was only Au. I then turned it over and it was the DDR! Sold it for $85.

My best finds are at coin shops and shows.
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That is an ugly, altered coin that never should have received a numerical grade at any service. Send that one back in, they will buy it back from you. YUCK. >>

You've got to be kidding. You haven't seen very many toned proof franklins then eh? That is the right color for them. I have submitted hundreds that look very similar to Robec's coin.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bought this one as an NGC AU55 in March 2000 for $540. Crossed to PCGS as AU50. Figured I about doubled my money.

JH >>

How do you double your money going from AU55 to AU50? Its worth less if its AU50.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Picked this one up for around $160. PCGS MS65.

imageimage
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options

<< <i>Picked this one up for around $160. PCGS MS65.

imageimage >>

The coin has a very sharp strike and very clean fields for the grade of MS65. Is it an old green holder or rattler?
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked this one up for around $160. PCGS MS65.

The coin has a very sharp strike and very clean fields for the grade of MS65. Is it an old green holder or rattler? >>

No, it is not an older holder. I think the hit on the jaw holds it to a 65.

imageimage

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    CoinCastCoinCast Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    I recently had a Barber dime in MS 65 OGH get a gold CAC off of eBay. Doubled my money on that one.

Partner @Gold Hill Coin

• Options
    I agree this is controversial and some won't like it ... (but would you like it for $49?).
    I did submit it Secure Plus so it could be sniffed for illegal chemicals ... needless to say it passed that test.
    These animations give a better idea of the in-hand look ... (you can see the images are NOT messed with (i.e. NOT photoshopped) by watching the color of the slab label).
    For $49, I like owning it. I think it might be the most colorful PCGS graded Franklin I've ever seen.
    It's sort of a glossy dark iridescent maroon color from straight-on -- the rainbows pop at a particular oblique lighting and viewing angle.

imageimage

Also I think it helped me that the colors matched the Sunnywood Color Progression Chart. From what I understand, it's hard to cook a coin with this progression (but Sunnywood is the expert on that front).

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't have pictures,because it was well over 10 years ago. My most memorable pick off the bay was an 1861 Pike's peak $5 gold piece. I had been looking for 1 for a customer for over a year! I still sit and wonder how it was still on ebay. I hadn't looked in several weeks and was bored and started looking. It had been on ebay for almost a week with a bid or buy it now. I chewed on my lip wondering if I should gamble to save $75....H no! I bought it and called the dealer(West Coast bullion dealer) and told them I would pay for overnight shipping. LOL,had an interesting conversation convincing the employee that they did indeed have the coin listed on ebay. His 1st comment was"We don't deal in that type of material". Obviously they had bought it across the counter for scrap as they didn't know what they had. What they listed as a cleaned VF was actually an AU! I called Kagin and was basically offered triple what I paid sight unseen. That is what I sold the coin to my customer for.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nevermind... photo too big to post.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That is an ugly, altered coin that never should have received a numerical grade at any service. Send that one back in, they will buy it back from you. YUCK. >>

You've got to be kidding. You haven't seen very many toned proof franklins then eh? That is the right color for them. I have submitted hundreds that look very similar to Robec's coin. >>

That coin is blatantly artificially toned.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked these obverse and reverse bashlow CSA cent hub trials up for $40 a piece on a bin a few years ago. I know a set sold for like $900 once.image

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I think it helped me that the colors matched the Sunnywood Color Progression Chart. From what I understand, it's hard to cook a coin with this progression (but Sunnywood is the expert on that front).

I would say nearly impossible rather than just hard.The half dollar looks fine to me.Look at enough coins with the Sunnywood Color Progression Chart in one's mind and even the neophyte numismatist can eventually catch on to recognizing natural rainbow toning when he or she sees it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bought this one as an NGC AU55 in March 2000 for $540. Crossed to PCGS as AU50. Figured I about doubled my money.

JH >>

How do you double your money going from AU55 to AU50? Its worth less if its AU50. >>

It's now worth about twice what I paid for it.

JH
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

You've got to be kidding. You haven't seen very many toned proof franklins then eh? That is the right color for them. I have submitted hundreds that look very similar to Robec's coin. >>

That coin is blatantly artificially toned. >>

I sure am glad you don't grade for PCGS ... How do you explain the secure holder? It passed the sniffer too...
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have done very well on e-bay purchasing raw and sending them in for grading. I don't always win but I have a very good batting average. Here's a 25-S I purcased raw for $375.00. It's now in a pcgs holder graded 63 and worth about $1800.00. This is my latest score.

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchased this for I think $125. I had an ANACS photo cert grading it MS65/65. It's now in a PCGS 67 holder

imageimage
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here are a couple.......

Submitted ATS came back 68* pop 2/0 >>

That one gets a "You REALLY suck" because I was the underbidder. image

(Seller's photos were dark and blurry, as I recall)
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

JH >>

How do you double your money going from AU55 to AU50? Its worth less if its AU50. >>

LOLZ, someone doesn't know the power of the right plastic!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file