Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1994 Bumble Bee Miami Hurricanes Set....New Scans Added...Dwayne Johnson and Ray Lewis...

I have been looking for this set for a few months and just got this in the mail today.

Unfortunately some of the cards are damaged and the Dwayne Johnson has a a surface issue. It is not a full crease but you can see it starts right under the corner of the Hurricanes logo.

The other key cards in the set are Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp and Dennis Erickson.

I was hoping for a better Dwayne Johnson card and will just keep looking.

This came as a full sheet and I took it apart and here are the scans of the key cards.

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting set . I never knew they existed . Thanks for sharing .---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a back scan of one of the cards.

I have the Dwayne Johnson in a big book with a bunch of magazines on top of it to try and flatten the card out more.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never heard of this set - great players in it.

Congratulations on your pickup.

I'm guessing this set is scarce?

Super looking cards too. Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. So are there only two sets with Dwayne Johnson as a Miami Hurricane? This set seems harder to find of the two.
  • Options
    Yes it is scarce. Only one card ever graded by PSA.

• Options
    I am not familiar with the other set. Please share any info you have.

• Options
    My mistake. This was the set I was thinking of and there aren't two. I was going from memory.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I had forgotten about this set. I need to search for a complete sheet. Awesome cards, despite the condition. I'm a Hurricanes diehard; only football memorabilia I really collect circles around Dade Co.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Really cool cards. The Lewis looks very sharp. Although you were dissapointed in the Rock card... The Lewis could be a nice score. I've only started searching for these for a few months and your seller is the only person that I've seen that has had any of these. It's always great to get early cards of HOFers that many people don't even know exist. Congrats on the pick up
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I love these cards!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I despise perforated cards, but I do like store brand issues from the 80's and 90's.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup regardless. I have been looking for one of these sets for awhile. I love all of the yearly UM sets.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Cool pickup. I have been wanting that card myself.
  • Options
    I got my second sheet.

Here is the Dwayne Johnson example.

There is some denting on the left hand border that you might be able to see in the scan but you definitely can in hand.

I am just going to have to keep hunting for a better one.
  • Options
    Nice pick up. I've only been looking for these a few months but seem pretty tough to find. The Lewis might do just as well as the rock.. Very interesting set... Some crazy personalities on that team too. Imagine partying with sapp Lewis and the rock... They might give Michael Irvin's hurricanes a run for their money
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

Here are the scans of the Ray Lewis. I looked him up on EBAY and there are 11,378 listings for his cards in the recent completed listings. There is a good size market for his cards.

• Options
    I recently purchased four complete sets of the 1994 Miami Hurricanes Bumble Bee set and one was signed by the entire team.

I also purchased a number of other Miami Hurricanes sets from the 90's and a few were signed too.

There were creases in the 1994 signed sheet and since I really purchased it for the Dwayne Johnson card I decided to break it apart.

Here are the scans of the Dwayne Johnson, Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp signed in 1994.

I also included scans of the other Dwayne Johnson cards. The hunt continues for this card in high grade.

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/DwayneJohnson_zpsd5b4c8ee.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/RayLewis_zps303acf70.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/Warren1_zps534cc3af.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/DwayneJohnson6_zps04812435.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/DwayneJohnson4_zpsd1620915.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s767.photobucket.com/user/dpeck100/media/DwayneJohnson5_zpse489f165.jpg.html]image[/URL]

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Hi David- Do you think the players signed the sheet while in college? If the whole team signed the sheet, I would suspect that is the most likely scenario, as opposed to someone gathering all the signatures later. I like cards that I know were signed in a player's early days.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Yes these sheets were signed during the year they played. The guy I bought them from had a relative who worked with the college program. There were signed team sets from a few other years including the 1995 team set and it has a great looking Ray Lewis signature.

[/URL]">Team Signed Sheet

Here is the pic the guy sent me prior to purchasing.

• Options
    Very nice pick ups. Now you just need a psa/DNA red flip special
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Being the Hurricanes fan I am, I've been wanting to pick up one of these sheets, but I see now I'm going to have to get lucky and score one on the cheap. A lot of competition brewing.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Here are the scans of the two cards I sent in from the first sheet I bought.

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    God. I love these cards and never knew of their existence. I am a proud Cane. Two National Championships in my four years of college. Where's the Rohan Marley card?? He was a sick player.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    In my research I had found that there was a BGS 9.5 of the Dwayne Johnson out there. I about had a heart attack when this card hit EBAY. I sent the seller an offer of $550 less then 20 minutes after it was listed and another EBAY bidder sent in an offer as well. The next day I still had not heard back from the seller and decided to just hit the Buy It Now.

The card was graded in May of 2004 so it has been the only high grade example out there for over 9 years. There are six cards graded so far from PSA and BGS.

I can't wait to get this card in hand!

BGS 9.5 Dwayne Johnson
  • Options
    Here you go Nikklos

image[/URL]

• Options
    I wondered if you had snagged it. I saw it come up the other night and then disappear the next day. Congrats! Are you going to cross it over?
  • Options
    Awesome card DPeck! There is no getting better than that one...congrats on your purchase!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    It was graded in 2004 and BGS was very tough early on.

I have to see it in hand. There will be no cracking this card out though so I if I try it will be in the holder and quite frankly your chances many times are lower that way.

• Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Thanks DPeck! AMAZING cards!
    Nikklos
  • Options

<< <i>I can't wait to get this card in hand!

BGS 9.5 Dwayne Johnson >>

Great pickup! Amazing you found it so quick!
  • Options
    Great card. Did bgs slab it in their tall boy holder? You have to cross that over. I had good luck on my recent cross overs. All 3 received the same grade by psa. I agree with you though... Definitely don't crack it. Perforated cards are such a crap shoot you never know. This could be a case where the bgs slab actually helps you when crossing
  • Options
    I know I've seen the discussion before, but I can't remember.....what do most BGS 9.5s crossover at to PSA?
  • Options
    Every type of card is different.

When there are no other mint copies graded there is no telling what the chances are with this card.

With the Wrestling All Stars I have had less then a 40% cross over rate in and out of the holder.

• Options
    Cool, no matter what holder, great card.
  • Options
    I would love to see this one in a PSA holder but there is no way in hell you can crack it out so good luck!
  • Options
    I was able to pick this card up this morning from my local post office before it got out on the truck.

After buying six sheets of the 1994 Bumble Bee set and seeing how they come I feel very confident that there will not be many more high grade examples of this card.

Here are the scans of this very unique card. With the heavy plastic coating the scans do not do this card justice. It is very sharp and clean.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Tremendous pickup, Dpeck, congrats. I think with $1000 in it already, no reason not to get it reviewed, right?
  • Options
    I am not sure what my plan of attack is. The card is as mint as you can find for this issue but no telling if PSA will agree.

The good news is you can easily send this holder through the mail without damage.

Obviously I would prefer this be in a PSA holder.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Great card!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    You could just send it as a crossover and make your minimum grade a 10. Your only downside is the psa fee.. Just try that a few times and hope for the best.
  • Options

<< <i>You could just send it as a crossover and make your minimum grade a 10. Your only downside is the psa fee.. Just try that a few times and hope for the best. >>

I have tried this in the past with limited success. I need to check and see how expensive it is on a card with this declared value.

A few of the cards I submitted in the holders that got rejected I cracked out and sent in raw and they crossed.

I just don't want to take that chance here as there are no other mint examples graded.

• Options
    Dwayne Johnson

I sold this example this week on EBAY. I bought this in a lot from a guy from Miami who found this thread in its early stages and contacted me and a few of the examples looked worse when I got them and I posted them when I got them. I essentially broke even on the sheet but I think this sale proves that this card is in high demand.

If this can sell for $125 then I feel very good about the price I paid for the BGS 9.5.

This card in my mind is a true modern rarity in both condition and availability which is the ultimate combination for trading cards.

• Options
    I made a scan of the other example I got graded by PSA. It came back a PSA 4 and presents well in a PSA holder.

• Options
    It looks good. What brought it down to a 4?
  • Options
    There is an issue with the card that starts under the green part of the U and runs down the card for a good distance.

Here is the back scan.

• Options
    Bummer. It still looks good in the homder though, like you said.
  • Options

<< <i>Here you go Nikklos

image[/URL]

image >>

I did not put 2 and 2 together when I posted this card. This is Bob Marley's son. He was just on CNBC a few weeks ago for an interview to discuss the coffee company he co founded.

WIKI

• Options
    I just picked up an uncut sheet of this set. The scans look good and tge seller said there are not any creases on the Rock card. Hopefully ill get a clean sheet. Ill post scans when I get it.
  • Options
    The sheet the seller had listed looked great in the scans and I think you have a good chance of finding a nice example.

The listing only lasted 40 minutes on EBAY.