Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is BBCE finally drying up?

Comments

• Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    It would be great if this thread got back on topic....so, is BBCE finally drying up?

Personally, I believe so. As is the case with the other big buyers/sellers of unopened product (such as Kruk, Dave&Adams, Blowout Cards), it seems the only new inventory is mid-90s and up.
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, my dad and I were just talking about that yesterday. The last few months there hasnt been anything really in the late 70's; early 80's on the website. I understand that our group rips have really put a dent in his inventory though, and it just seems like the recent buying trips haven't yielded stuff from this era.

I've been watching some unopened product on EBAY. Last night a 79 cello box sold for $520. Seems pretty high for a 79 cello box, but since I have one at home, it makes me feel good image I've been hanging on to most of my boxes that I've bought from Steve the past year, and am somewhat eager to purchase a 78 baseball wax or cello box; an 80/81 topps basketball box; but havent seen much for sale. I'm hesitant to buy from anyone else just due to the possible tampering issue and with EBAY I cant even look at the packs myself, so I'm sort of at a stagnant with unopened product right now. I'm hoping that he gets some cool stuff in time for the national.

Maybe its good, because it can shift my focus back to my 56 topps set that I'm building in PSA7. I've gotten away from that the past year with getting into the unopened product a little bit more. I just wish I had an endless money supply!!! ha ha...

Jeremy

• Options
    Great thread guys, I have been working on a 1970s mega-set and have been a steady buyer on BBCE since 2007. I can say with 100% certainty that there has been a significant decrease in what was available. I remember that 1975-1979 boxes, cases, were plentiful throughout 2009, I could go on the website and buy at will, 2010 it began to become sporatic, and over the last few years it is down to packs for the entire decade.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    Also, a little investigation will show a major drop-off in large unopened 1970s lots in the major auction houses since 2010. Certainly, it can be a lull...but I am not sure. I remember glancing at a recent auction of a 1977 vending box going for an extremely high price (I want to say 1800.00 but might be wrong). I just remember doing a double take knowing how bad the centering is on most of them.
  • Options
    Sorry one more note: Using BBCE is a great exemplar and nice way to introduce this chat because Steve is the biggest seller of unopened and his business is to churn (immediately buy and sell) not hold. Therefore, there is no ulterior motive or conspiracy on his part. The final signal about available quantities then can be simply noted by the fact that between 2007-2010 I remember distinctly that there were ALWAYS 7-8 pages of unopened material for the 1970s...it has been only 3 pages for a while now. I highly doubt that there was some major shift in holding and hoarding that occured in the past several years that wasn't there before.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question the unopened market and the value of wax, rack and cello prices are rising and will continue to rise as product becomes scarcer and tougher to find. I remember picking up 1978 Topps baseball cello boxes for $375 and 1979 cello boxes for $250 a decade ago. Prices have doubled since then.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>No question the unopened market and the value of wax, rack and cello prices are rising and will continue to rise as product becomes scarcer and tougher to find. I remember picking up 1978 Topps baseball cello boxes for $375 and 1979 cello boxes for $250 a decade ago. Prices have doubled since then. >>

How much has unopened material gone up in price since graded cards came into existence?

I was looking at BBCE the other day and it seemed like they replenished some 80's stuff. But then noticed that 1986 Topps is gone again, for the second time. I did not think this product was that rare. I see sellers on eBay wanting $30 or better. BBCE had them at $13.

Besides that, most of the 70's stuff are either oddball stuff, rarities or otherwise very expensive packs.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No question the unopened market and the value of wax, rack and cello prices are rising and will continue to rise as product becomes scarcer and tougher to find. I remember picking up 1978 Topps baseball cello boxes for $375 and 1979 cello boxes for $250 a decade ago. Prices have doubled since then. >>

How much has unopened material gone up in price since graded cards came into existence?

I was looking at BBCE the other day and it seemed like they replenished some 80's stuff. But then noticed that 1986 Topps is gone again, for the second time. I did not think this product was that rare. I see sellers on eBay wanting $30 or better. BBCE had them at $13.

Besides that, most of the 70's stuff are either oddball stuff, rarities or otherwise very expensive packs. >>

I can't easily find - right now - a 1992 SCD - but did find a 1994 Feb 18th copy...

Mark Murphy was selling:

75OPC wax box: $1500
    76OPC wax box: $650
    77OPC wax box: $350
    81T wax box: $110
    82T wax box: $225
    83T wax box: $275

I remember 79T BB wax boxes going for around $300 around 1992-ish...

I believe this stuff was low - exploded - came back to earth - and is now - perhaps - drying up enough to see some real appreciation at this point? Not really sure.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Besides that, most of the 70's stuff are either oddball stuff, rarities or otherwise very expensive packs. >>

I can't easily find - right now - a 1992 SCD - but did find a 1994 Feb 18th copy...

Mark Murphy was selling:

I believe this stuff was low - exploded - came back to earth - and is now - perhaps - drying up enough to see some real appreciation at this point? Not really sure. >>

That's the same way I see it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mark Murphy was selling:

I believe this stuff was low - exploded - came back to earth - and is now - perhaps - drying up enough to see some real appreciation at this point? Not really sure. >>

That's the same way I see it. >>

Me too. A lot of the unopened stuff from the 80's I was so excited about investing in completely plummeted and hasn't come anywhere near what it was in the mid early to mid 90'. I am talking about 1984 Donruss boxes for $400, 1989 Score Football for $500, 1983 Topps for $300, 1985 Fleer $300. How about 1989 UD for $195 or 1990 Leaf for $275?

But pre 1980 stuff should continue to be solid
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    I would think that nothing in the ninties would hold it's value except for 93 Topps Finest, 92 Bowman or maybe 93 SP. In the eighties, anything post 85 will never be worth much. I think 80 will continue to go up like the 70's un-opened and 81-85 will hold it's own but not appreciate like pre-81.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that the tougher wax will do well. I've been setting aside random rarities like 86 Panini, 85 Topps traded BB wax, 92 stadium hi FB, 70s basketball boxes for a while now. i like the bizarre stuff.
  • Options
    I have 2 sealed 1977 topps baseball cases and about 20 unsearched vending boxes...all purchased from Steve Hart before 2010. I was going to break one of the cases this spring but having read this forum I have decided that I will break the loose vending and hold the sealed cases for a while....just need discipline image
  • Options
    oddityoddity Posts: 124 ✭✭

Rip! Rip! Rip!!!!!

• Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 2 sealed 1977 topps baseball cases and about 20 unsearched vending boxes...all purchased from Steve Hart before 2010. I was going to break one of the cases this spring but having read this forum I have decided that I will break the loose vending and hold the sealed cases for a while....just need discipline image >>

Or we could do a 77 wax case box break image

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options

[q[Or we could do a 77 wax case box break image

Mark >>

I see mega profit potential and mega fun!!!!!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • Options
    that is good advice, the vending boxes are sealed with BBCE card inserted the others are vending cases not rack. I also have the invoices for the loose vending as providence. I dunno if I can sell any of the 77 stuff I have because I just KNOW the one I sell will have the Fidrych rookie in a 10.
  • Options

<< <i>[q[Or we could do a 77 wax case box break image

Mark >>

I see mega profit potential and mega fun!!!!! >>

I concur! LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    We'll see Tim, but the main point of the story is that I got back into cards in 2006ish - I thought at the time 70s stuff can be had at will...Gator (matt) told me that the 2 1977 vending cases were the only ones (other than the one he broke) he had seen for a decade. I thought yah, maybe true, but when I went on BBCE I saw plenty of boxes of cello, wax and vending for most of the years between 1975-79, I was a heavy buyer but more seemed to always pop-up. Over the last 3 years, it has been almost nothing. One insight on this thread which I think carries some weight is that the guys that hold 70s stuff are probably in their 40s. We are probably not in this to make money or profit so really why would I sell if the joy is in the ripping? So I have some stuff from 75-81 and figure I'll have one great rip before I pass on...maybe we SHOULD make it a community thing image
  • Options

<< <i>We'll see Tim, but the main point of the story is that I got back into cards in 2006ish - I thought at the time 70s stuff can be had at will...Gator (matt) told me that the 2 1977 vending cases were the only ones (other than the one he broke) he had seen for a decade. I thought yah, maybe true, but when I went on BBCE I saw plenty of boxes of cello, wax and vending for most of the years between 1975-79, I was a heavy buyer but more seemed to always pop-up. Over the last 3 years, it has been almost nothing. One insight on this thread which I think carries some weight is that the guys that hold 70s stuff are probably in their 40s. We are probably not in this to make money or profit so really why would I sell if the joy is in the ripping? So I have some stuff from 75-81 and figure I'll have one great rip before I pass on...maybe we SHOULD make it a community thing image >>

I agree with your assessment--unopened product is much tougher to find these days than it was even 5 years ago--especially full boxes and cases. I have been able to acquire product from private collectors but in the retail world the stuff is just not out there.

I do like the one great group rip idea, Henry--but without you passing on. LOL!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Henry ... you and others may RIP AWAY, but Tim's WILL provides for a second casket to be purchased and all of his unopened product be buried next to him!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Henry ... you and others may RIP AWAY, but Tim's WILL provides for a second casket to be purchased and all of his unopened product be buried next to him! >>

BURIED???? BLASPHEMY!!!! It has to be a hermetically sealed vault. Puts a whole diferent twist to RIP!
  • Options

<< <i>Henry ... you and others may RIP AWAY, but Tim's WILL provides for a second casket to be purchased and all of his unopened product be buried next to him! >>

Speaking of estates, Doug, do you know any good attorneys?? LOL!!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• Options

<< <i>$3,200 with 2 hours remaining >>

Absent a scan of a receipt or some type of certification, can't anyone just say... "From Larry Fritsch"??
    Joel
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Absent a scan of a receipt or some type of certification, can't anyone just say... "From Larry Fritsch"?? >>

You know what they say about fools and money.....

And you can buy a 4th series box directly from Fritsch right now for $2100 as per the current catalog!

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Absent a scan of a receipt or some type of certification, can't anyone just say... "From Larry Fritsch"?? >>

And you can buy a 4th series box directly from Fritsch right now for $2100 as per the current catalog! >>

Exactly, though in the case of Fritsch the 4th series box is listed as such.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭
    You won't be able to buy that tomorrow at that price.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

And you can buy a 4th series box directly from Fritsch right now for $2100 as per the current catalog! >>

You better put in your order before the next catalog.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    1975 Topps Cello same providence (or lack thereof): 23 hours over 2100...what will that end up at? Guesses?
  • Options

<< <i>1975 Topps Cello same providence (or lack thereof): 23 hours over 2100...what will that end up at? Guesses? >>

3K is my guess..would go for more if centering on top cards were a bit better, imo..

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Guys, the word is provenance, not providence...
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, the word is provenance, not providence... >>

Unless it's from a divine source, you mean..image

• Options
    I have a stupid question: I recently cracked 6 1976 and 6 1977 vending. The 77 vending was about 60% miscut with about 95-5 or worse T/B centering (1976 was similar)...i threw them away. Am I dumb or just stupid? I didn't want to sell them - they looked so horrible to me. What do you guys do with those cards? I did the same with the miscut cards in my 2 Mini casebreaks...just threw the miscut out
  • Options

<< <i>I have a stupid question: I recently cracked 6 1976 and 6 1977 vending. The 77 vending was about 60% miscut with about 95-5 or worse T/B centering (1976 was similar)...i threw them away. Am I dumb or just stupid? I didn't want to sell them - they looked so horrible to me. What do you guys do with those cards? I did the same with the miscut cards in my 2 Mini casebreaks...just threw the miscut out >>

There are a lot of collector who put together raw sets who would buy those cards, even OC. I use my OC minis for raw sets, as well. Please send the 75 minis to me before throwing them out, Henry!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a stupid question: I recently cracked 6 1976 and 6 1977 vending. The 77 vending was about 60% miscut with about 95-5 or worse T/B centering (1976 was similar)...i threw them away. Am I dumb or just stupid? I didn't want to sell them - they looked so horrible to me. What do you guys do with those cards? I did the same with the miscut cards in my 2 Mini casebreaks...just threw the miscut out >>

There are a lot of collector who put together raw sets who would buy those cards, even OC. I use my OC minis for raw sets, as well. Please send the 75 minis to me before throwing them out, Henry! >>

Agreed. I wouldn't throw them away. They're still crisp nearly 40 year old cards. Lots of people would like to have those cards. You may not sell them for anything close to what you paid for them but people will pay something for them, or you could donate them.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know anything about the dugout _unopened_wax user on eBay. He currently has a 75 BB Cello Box and a bunch of others, including some cool OPC

Safe?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know anything about the dugout _unopened_wax user on eBay. He currently has a 75 BB Cello Box and a bunch of others, including some cool OPC

Safe? >>

I've been trying to put together a run of 1980-1991 Topps Cello Boxes(1991 is last year they included gum). So I've been watching his auctions and several have gone above and beyond the price others have the same boxes listed at BIN price. On a recent auction, the 1981 cello box went for more than BBCE is asking for their...substantially so if I remember correctly. BBCE has it at $119 and the auction ended in the low $130'ish range.

When I clicked on the bidders for some of those auctions, the bidders had an inordinately large percentage of bids with him along with a number of bid retractions.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    << Guys, the word is provenance, not providence... >>

Unless it's from a divine source, you mean..

Tim---hahahahahahahahaha. I am from Providence...some would say anything BUT divine.......
  • Options

<< <i><< Guys, the word is provenance, not providence... >>

Unless it's from a divine source, you mean..

Tim---hahahahahahahahaha. I am from Providence...some would say anything BUT divine....... >>

Manny, we all know you are on a higher plane! LOL!

• Options
    Just taking a gander and noticed that 1981 Topps wax boxes along with 1986 Donruss are completely sold out. They were there just a few days ago. Its kind of nice to see that there's still a demand and a large market for these 80's products - considering that it will probably be another 15 years before people will really start to call it vintage (although anything that was produced about 25-30 years ago will always be vintage in my book). Maybe its because 70's is just too expensive for a wax box for most and lets face it, card collectors will always love ripping affordable wax. Someone just even took 4 boxes of 1988 Donruss Baseball in the "cheap pay it forward" thread.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I'll fess up, though it may seem masochistic, I just bought the 81 fleer vending case and the 86 topps vending case. Its cheap crack and keeps me away from the more expensive stuff.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll fess up, though it may seem masochistic, I just bought the 81 fleer vending case and the 86 topps vending case. Its cheap crack and keeps me away from the more expensive stuff. >>

I always thought the 1981 Fleer were the best of the 3 sets from that year. Good luck finding the Nettles error. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know anything about the dugout _unopened_wax user on eBay. He currently has a 75 BB Cello Box and a bunch of others, including some cool OPC

Safe? >>

Seem to be legit. But prices seem high.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options

<< <i>

Safe? >>

Seem to be legit. But prices seem high. >>

+1

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Safe? >>

Seem to be legit. But prices seem high. >>

+1 >>

WAY over priced.

I picked up the following cello boxes earlier today on make an offers:

1981 Topps baseball - $85(dugout is 129 shipped bin)
    1982 Topps baseball - $110(dugouts $199 shipped bin)
    1985 Topps baseball - $80(I think dugouts is $119 shipped bin)
    Total shipping $18.

Of course well see what things look like when I get them in hand. But I haven't been burned thus far on inexpensive vending and wax.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OPC is 40-50% higher than BBCE had just a few months ago.

Arthur
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    have bought from him and stuff was ok. shrink wraps and labels like bbce lite i guess.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Just taking a gander and noticed that 1981 Topps wax boxes along with 1986 Donruss are completely sold out. They were there just a few days ago. Its kind of nice to see that there's still a demand and a large market for these 80's products - considering that it will probably be another 15 years before people will really start to call it vintage (although anything that was produced about 25-30 years ago will always be vintage in my book). Maybe its because 70's is just too expensive for a wax box for most and lets face it, card collectors will always love ripping affordable wax. Someone just even took 4 boxes of 1988 Donruss Baseball in the "cheap pay it forward" thread. >>

A few months ago, the 80's wax was 7 pages, now it shows to be 5 pages. Both Topps and Donruss from 1986 are out. I also 1987 Leaf boxes gone. There was an 85 Fleer either wax or cello that is now gone. The 83 Michigan boxes went post discussion, as did all the 80's stuff. The 81 Grocery packs went as quick as they came. It's nice to see demand in the 80's stuff, IMO. 1980 is becoming as tough as 79 right now in both prices and demand. The only thing keeping 81 cheap is the poor rookie crop, otherwise its getting tougher too. The 81 OPC seems near impossible to find, as does late 80's.
  • Options
    I'm looking for an 81 rack box or sealed case. Non-grocery racks.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)