Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Official 2013 BBCE PSA Group Break #1....LETS POST SOME SCANS

Comments

• scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>anyone open there 1975 minis or any of the 1987 BK packs yet? I hope mine come today. And if you are worried they have 0 chance of staying unopened on this day.
    I bought 1/2 a box of BBc last 1975 minis and opened them. None were gradeable, 0. So Im hoping this box is better. His 1987s for me this last 4 months have been 50/50 though. Either all the cards were centered or all the cards were 90-10 in the packs. Still have not pulled a jordan or a jordan sticker from that year and Ive opened half a box of this stuff. Shows how these can be picked through which I dont like. I bet if Fleer BK packs were not in sequence they would be easy 550-600 a pack for 1986-87 Fleer and 65 a pack for 1987-88, and 20-25 for 1988-89 Fleer BK packs. >>

The 75 Minis were very sharp. Centering was so-so, but I have one with a shot at a 10 and a couple of sharp possible 9s. I hit the Jordan sticker in the 87/88 Fleer but I wish I'd known it was on top and I would've slabbed the pack.

Pics when I can upload...
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • wronglegwrongleg Posts: 441 ✭✭
    Just got my package. Cards came UPS. Orange County, California.
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone gotten any of the big pulls from:

1994 SP Baseball
    1995 Bowman Best Baseball
    2001 Bowman Best Baseball
    2000 SP Authentic Football
    2004 SP Authentic Football

<< <i>Has anyone gotten any of the big pulls from:

1994 SP Baseball
    1995 Bowman Best Baseball
    2001 Bowman Best Baseball
    2000 SP Authentic Football
    2004 SP Authentic Football >>

I had 4 x '94 SP, 2 x 95 BB, and 7 x 01 BB and got ZERO big hits. So the Pujols, Ichiro, and ARod RCs are still in there. I got a Mattingly HoloFlex or something like that, but that's it. My pulls were ROUGH this time. image

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone can stop ripping and leave your packs sealed.

I HAVE PULLED THE '84 FLEER GLENN HUBBARD WITH THE SNAKE.

There is no need to rip any further, as this will easily overshadow a '75 Brett or '94 ARod. Sorry to spoil all of the fun, guys. It's a strong candidate for a PSA 8, so I'm already looking at real estate in the Carribean.

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Thats awesome, Ive never seen that card before.

<< <i>Thats awesome, Ive never seen that card before. >>

I'll sell it to you raw for $35,000 and some Cool Ranch Doritos (must have PSA/DNA).
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I just got mine and plowed through it.

I got:

1995 Bowman's Best: Bobby Abreu rookie and Jeff Conine Refractor
    1994 SP: Mike Piazza HoloFX (non die-cut)
    1984 Donruss: Don Mattingly - looks like a nice 9.
    1983 Donruss: Tony Gwynn - likewise, nice 9.

Haven't opened my racks yet, but that's about the size of it.

Also, if anyone has any 1995 Bowman's Best minty commons and such they want to sell, please let me know! I'm working on completing this set. image

Thanks again Mark for organizing this!

Justin
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Rats, UPS guy didn't come today. I guess tomorrow will be today.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    Got my packs in RI today. Haven't opened them all, added some extras too, but the only star rack I received was from 1985 Topps with an Eric Davis rookie on the bottom.
    Anything big pulled I will share.
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭
    Well I got my 2 1972 OPC Baseball packs today. I am leaving one sealed for a rainy day (or snowy). I got the action cards of Munson and Jackson. Too bad they did not have the centering the Jeter has.................Oh well, it was a fun rip!
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Got my 2 packs on 1993 BB SP. THE JETER IS STILL OUT THERE HOWEVER!!

I did pull a Nolan Ryan which looks like a 9 I guess. Ill probably get it graded just to recoup some of the loss but overall nothing worth scanning. The rest were duds.

Thanks to Mark and BBCE. Ive always wanted to rip a couple of these packs. Was a little nerve racking lol

Edit: Because I could never spell everything correctly the 1st time.
  • Got my box in today - San Diego, CA. Woot

Maybe I can have a repeat performance of last rip and get another Rice and Young rookie?? image I am a little hesitant to open the OPC given what I know. But we will see.

Hey guys, I am trying to put the 80-86 Topps FB sets together through the breaks. If anyone is not collecting the sets or sending any out for grading I would be interested in buying your left overs. Let me know.

Thanks,

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Got my packs but haven't started ripping yet.
    These 81, 84, and 86 FB cello packs are nice a loosely wrapped. Should be some good cards inside if the centering holds up.
    Are any of you other guys with 75 mini packs familiar with how they might grade. Seem really nice and clean. Any chance at PSA 8 or 9 with these??

Brian
    UPS guys just came YIPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEE. Going to start ripping in a few minutes. image
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Mine came USPS and didn't get squat. Two of my 3 SP football packs were EXACTLY the same also. Oh well, that's why I buy a few packs once in a while, and not a whole box.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just busted mine as well
    2 1987 BK Fleer
    2 1975 Mini Packs

Squat on the mnis again. I dont like it that the name is clear and visable on the bottom of the back of the packs. But thats how it goes.
    The 1987 Fleers were double packs again. Same sticker and same cards in both packs. I think Im done with this product.

Ok I think Ive got the bug out of me now. Back to singles please.
  • Woof on the 1975 Minis centering. The only star power was a Luis Tiant and a Fred Lynn rookie (which was the gum card).

The 1998 Black Diamond football yielded an Elway and few semi-stars.

My two packs of 1993 Pinnacle produced a Bo Jackson, Barry Bonds, and this (dust is from the scanner):

• Overall disappointing rip

75 minis-most were miscut however did pull a mccovey that looks like a 9 and a keith hernandez rookie that is likely an 8.
    82 donruss-nothing
    82 fleer-nothing
    82 topps-off center nolan ryan and decent pete rose i/a
    83 donruss-nothing
    83 fleer-ripken...has a shot at a 10
    83 topps-gwynn-off center print mark probally a 7
    84 donruss-nothing
    84 fleer-nothing
    84 topps rack-strawberry and gwynn
    89 ud-nothing-50 packs now without a griffey

football
    80 topps-walter payton-a real blazer 9 or 10
    81 topps-dorsett, gastineau, franco harris all 8 or 9's slightly off center
    82 topps- 2 dan fouts-1 is an 8 the other likely a 9
    83 topps-beautiful fouts-good chance at a 10
    84 topps-absolute garbage
    86 topps-steve young..likely an 8 perfect centering but a small print dot and upper left corner a little soft, also pulled an absolute walter payton blazer i have to think it grades a 10.

Could have been worse I guess.
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    81 football was all off center but did get a Payton.

84 football was absolutely gorgeous and well centered. Someone's got a sweet Elway and Marino in theirs. Here's the best:

"Molon Labe"

• Alright. Well, I decided to cut to it and open them all. It was a blast and a tragedy all in one. So I am gonna go worst to first on this...

89 UD - nothing
    80 Topps FB - nothing

The 1972 OPC Baseball. I had some hopes of at least getting a few healthy cards. But the first pack I opened. Every card was seeped with gum stains. No survivors. What is also sad was I pulled a decent looking although off center Steve Carlton.

A few minor stars from the same pack. All with gum damage.

Second pack revealed no stars, but I did get one card unscathed, although its off center. Most of the cards were badly centered. If not on the front, then on the back.

So, the 72's were a bust, but fun to open.

Onto the 75 Minis...Like others, centering was a major issues. Lots of miscuts.

But I did pull this card. Do you think its worth grading? Its not a 10, I know that, and those fish-eyes are tough.

1986 Cello Football was decent. Some good stars and a few HOF's. Centering was not great and even miscuts here and there. Dont think any are worth grading.

This came in the second pack.

Its ok. I dont think its gradable. The top left corner looks touched, besides the obvious off-centering and the fish-eye down at the bottom. But its a nice pull regardless, so I was happy. I think the one I pulled in the last rip is slightly better with corners and printing. Centering is almost identical.

Last was 84 Topps football. Centering moved around. Clean cards though, sharp corners. Got some solid players and HOF'ers.

So the story goes....I open the first pack of 84 Football Cello and pull this card...

Woot! image I do the happy dance. So then I opened the second pack and got one of these.

I do another happy dance!! image I think the second one looks gradable. What do you think? The first is a little low. Open to opinions.

All in all I was happy with the packs I opened. It was fun and got some good stuff along the way. Thanks again Cinci for putting this together!!!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anthony,

I think you're looking at an 8 on the Jackson card due to surface issues, but centering is real nice so maybe an 8.5 if you get a grader in
    a good mood. Sorry to see the 72 OPC cards...these are as bad as the last couple of boxes we've ripped unfortunately.
    Must have all been improperly stored through the years..

Edit to add: Sharp Marinos, though, make up for it!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Well I just ripped all my packs. What a freaking blast!!!!! Overall, I am quite pleased with the cards. Sure there was some centering issues on some of the cards but I had others that were dead centered. The 82 Topps BB were not centered very well and the 82 Topps FB grocery packs had some damage. Besides that, everything else was pretty good. Got a lot of star power as well. Now on to the hits.

Thought I was going to hit the Strawberry rookie trifecta but came up one short. The Donruss is dead centered with sharp corners. Will be sending this one in.

A little O/C Gwynn rookie and the ever elusive Ron Kittle rookie

Nothing wrong with a few Peter Edward Roses'

Or a Johnny Bench. 99 Signature was a bust though. Was expecting that.

Can't go wrong with a 2nd year Elway and Marino

Nailed two Dent rookies

A nice 82 Payton and Munoz rookie

And finally a dead centered 83 topps Dorsett

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

• << <i>Anthony,

I think you're looking at an 8 on the Jackson card due to surface issues, but centering is real nice so maybe an 8.5 if you get a grader in
    a good mood. Sorry to see the 72 OPC cards...these are as bad as the last couple of boxes we've ripped unfortunately.
    Must have all been improperly stored through the years..

Edit to add: Sharp Marinos, though, make up for it! >>

Yes, very pleased with the Marinos. I think if the Jackson gets an 8 or 8.5, I think its worth sending in to the professionals.

Cinci - love that Strawberry and Dorsett!
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Got my two mini packs today. Just opened the package.

Unless I figure out if I got a star on top or bottom I was kind of disappointed as both packs had small rips/tears on the top left corner. I don't open or sub packs so they might
    stay like this for a while. Also, was hoping to get the packs individually sealed with a top loader and/or business card from BBCE which did not happen again.

aconte

• << <i>image

image >>

ok, ripped the loosies. Nothing scan worthy. Rashaun Woods Patch/Auto from SPA and a Gwynn/Hunter Refractor from the 95BBs
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭
    Got mine today. Got my first major hit from BBCE. Here's a summary:

The 2 '72 OPC and '75 minis are staying sealed

I opened some '82 Donruss. The cards were nicely centered. Pulled a Winfield, Carlton, Eckersley, and Dawson.

The 99 UD SP Signature was a bust. Pulled a Fernando Seguignol auto.

The 87/88 Fleer Basketball was a hit. I was able to determine that I have a Jordan sticker showing. I'll be adding it to my stack to send off to PSA.

Good Luck, Everyone!
    OK, here is what I got. For the number of packs I opened (50!), I took a beating. I saved one '72 OPC and one Star Wars.

Before:

Some of the decent cards (either stars or should grade well):

The '72s were pretty good to me:

And here's the best of the best (which isn't all that great). Jordan sticker from the '88 Fleer, Donruss Mattingly RC, and the classic '72 Clemente IA.

• << <i>.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone can stop ripping and leave your packs sealed.

I HAVE PULLED THE '84 FLEER GLENN HUBBARD WITH THE SNAKE.

There is no need to rip any further, as this will easily overshadow a '75 Brett or '94 ARod. Sorry to spoil all of the fun, guys. It's a strong candidate for a PSA 8, so I'm already looking at real estate in the Carribean.

image >>

I've loved that card since I was a kid, have that card, and have never noticed the Phillie Phanatic in the background until now.
  • Received my package last night and finally got to open it this morning.
    No hits in the 93 SP and the 85 football rack was a complete waste.
    My two packs of 1987/88 basketball I haven't opened because I just bought them to see if I could get a Jordan sticker showing on top..... One of the packs does show a Detlef Schrempf on back though.... These two packs are available for sale if anyone wants them.
    And then my 1981 Topps Football packs were nice...except for centering...
    pulled a Montana, Monk, and Payton in my two packs

• That Art Monk looks pretty much dead on in my opinion!!
    Base on whats been pulled from the packs I bought I'm starting to get really excited.
  • FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    Received mine in OC California yesterday as well. Thank you again to Cincy and BBCE for making this happen.

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes: in my '72 pack, Ted Williams is clearly on top (the white pack color helps with my my blind eyes). Being that this is a manager card, is this still worth subbing (i.e. is there really any premium)? I'm leaning toward subbing it, but wanted to get some opinions.

Havent busted any of the other packs yet - waiting for my brother.
  • Absolute Nothing! in my 2-1987 Fleer NBA wax packs and 2-1981 Topps Football wax packs , somebodys chances jumped up in ranks image

Maybe next time!
  • ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I, too, got shut out pretty badly...not a good rip at all for me

2 1972 OPC Packs
    Good news! I got a Clemente and a Thurman Munson! Bad News: They both have a stick of gum sticking to it. If I send them into PSA, will I get a PSA 9(GS) (Gum Stuck)

2 1981 Topps Football Cellos
    Nothing but commons

2 1986 Football Cellos
    2 Reggie Whites and a Andre Reed-none worth subbing as they are badly O/C top to bottom

2 1984 Football Cellos
    Nothing but commons

1 1985 Grocery Rack
    Very nice Dan Marino (The prize of the rip)

Also, got a 1994 SP Derek Lee RC, a 2004 NFL SP Ben Troup3 Autograph, and a 2000 SP Authentic Shannon Sharpe Auto

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Ok I would like to preface this by saying I pulled the best card I have ever pulled out of wax since I started collecting back in the early 90s. Me and "Wax" don't get along. I have the worst kind of luck with wax and have honestly never pulled anything worth bragging about and to this day am trying to break that luck by taking part in these group rips. I love BBCE and CU for this reason, but my luck is still with me in a way.....

- I got nothing out of the two 1989 UD packs I opened
    - I got a Chris Redman Sign of the Times Auto out of the two 2000 SPA Football. I noticed an auto card and was super stoked that I had broke the bad luck. I did, but it was a bummer to see who it was.
    - I then was super excited to see a thick auto/patch card in one of the two 2004 SPA Football packs as I was opening, thinking I could have the Eli, Ben, or Fitz RC was running through my mind (I am a huge Giants fan and would have gone nuts if I pulled his SPA RC Auto). Hopes dashed, it was a Luke McCown Patch Auto RC, but hey two autos was not as bad as all commons.
    - Finally I got to the 87-88 Fleer. These were the most expensive packs I had ever purchased, other than the First Series GPK packs the other month. I was hoping for a Jordan like everone, and getting a gradeable one would be amazing. I opened the first one and half way thru started noticing print issues. Ink spots/splotches and even a card with an ink smudged finger print (Ill post pics soon), then I saw the Jordan!!!!!!! Great centering and perfect corners....then I saw the red ink:

- There is red ink by the B in Bulls, of course the two dots on the right side, a print line (?) on the bottom half, and what looks to be red under his left eye. Bummer!!!!!!! The best card I have ever pulled in wax, great condition, but print issues. On to the second pack and having pulled a Jordan in the first I kept thinking "what if I pull another, this in perfect condition". My luck had seemed changing but wasn't hitting all cylanders yet image

- As I started going through the second pack I realized the only different card from the first was the stiker. "Hey, is the a sequence like the one in the 86 Fleer set I see so much about" i was thinking. Then..... A second Jordan...with the same issues. No!!!!!!!!

- Same exact print dots on right side. I mean EXACT. No ink by the B in Bulls and no Print line on the bootom half. Centering looks great, corners ar perfect, just the darn ink spots. Boo-hoo. First world card collector problems. image

• any 93 SP Jeters yet?
    Two MJs in two packs, classic, at least you had hits even if they were common autos.
  • For sure Vlad!!!! I guess I should have noted that my post was meant to be a bit more sarcastic, complaining about getting two Jordans in two packs is rediculous!!!! But the lines about me and "wax" not getting along is 100% true. Thos Jordans are by far the best cards I have ever pulled from any wax I have ever opened, and by far and away the best! But the sarcasm wasn't meant to be heavy... first world problems image
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet pull on the MJ's sorry about the print dots. There should be at least 3 Jordan's per box and you pulled two. I have noticed the centering on these cards are pretty good which for this year can be tough.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • What do print dots, like the ones on the Jordans, knock a card down to. Say if those Jordans were centered perfect and only had the ink issues? I guess I am asking if it is worth send those in for grading?
  • 1-2 grades IMO
  • abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for setting this up. It is appreciated. I received my packs today. Absolute strike out. Didn't get anything were mentioning but it was fun. Thanks.

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• Pretty nice rippp for a first-timer. The '93 SPs bb provided two winners ~ Jeter & Chipper, not too shabby for two packs. Jeter will NOT fetch the prized $11k 10 grade, but a nice add to the collection. Other notable pulls:

75 mini bb - Rice RC (very good centering, dinged corner, 8 chance)
    81 Topps bb - Baines RC (ho hum)
    83 Topps bb - Boggs RC (solid all around, 9 chance)
    83 Fleer bb - Boggs RC (slightly top heavy, 8/9 chance)
    83 Donruss bb - Ryan (slightly top heavy, 8/9 chance)
    84 Fleer bb - Ryan (perfect center, corner ding, 8/9 chance)
    83 Topps fb - Payton (slightly bottom heavy, 8 chance)
    85 Topps fb - Marino (nice centering, corner ding, 8)
    86 Topps fb - Rice RC (65/35, corner ding)
    87 Fleer bkb - Olajuwon (7/8 chance)

Would have been nice to pull more RCs, but overall a nice rippp. To those holding raks & cellos with visible 2nd & 3rd year stars.....c'mon, let 'em rippppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Scan those suckers!
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    Bupkis on my first group break. I suppose I should look at the 84 donruss cards a bit closely and crosscheck them to the psa registry for low pop cards.

However, I enjoyed...thanks much for setting this up Cincy, and thanks to BBCE for an amazing packing job, and for sending clean pristine old packs of baseball cards!
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my packs. '72 OPC packs are nice. Did anyone inspect their 1983T baseball packs? One looks fine to me but the other has a funky corner fold and the flap is stuck to the bottom card. It may be okay but I'd like to get others' inputs. I know a few people pulled a Boggs and Ryno RC but we did bust a few boxes. They're cheap packs so it's no big deal but I'm curious about them since the cheapo boxes are usually the ones that don't get inspected as closely as the 70s and older stuff.
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    And BTW, in this edition of don't do this at home.....

A month or so ago I cracked open a couple 1985 Topps packs and was dumb enough to try the gum. I instantly spit it up and had to go swish some water around in my mouth to get rid of the taste.

So it stands to reason that since 27 year old gum is terrible, I would already know that 30 year old gum and 37 year old gum is even worse right?

Of course, I had to go and prove it, with my girlfriend screaming at me not too...........

I swear some day male genetics are gonna be my undoing.