Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How to best display a UHR... Raw or slabbed?

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm finally going to cut my losses. I absolutely love the 2009 UHR and bought two when they first came out. They both graded 70 and I flipped them, enjoying a very healthy profit. As 2009 progressed, the cost increased a but, and I figured it would eventually drop, so I never bought myself a raw one to enjoy. Seeing that they are now selling for more raw than I sold my 70s for and that gold isn't really moving, I'm going to bite the bullet and just get one to enjoy. It is more than I want to pay, but I figure a lot of the value is in the gold and it's a coin I will certainly enjoy. Anyhoo...

I've arranged to get a PCGS MS69 with all the original packaging (I also happen to think the packaging for the set is great). I want to display the coin, rather than just stash it away. Just considering display aesthetics, am I better off keeping the coin in the PCGS holder and angling it in the display box, or should I crack the coin and out it back in the original capsule? The piece will be around eye level, and the display box flat.

Your thoughts?
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks best in the original case IMO, with the book and box.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I do like the looks of those milled out original wood mint boxes that fit a slab.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do like the looks of those milled out original wood mint boxes that fit a slab. >>

Here they are

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The display box does allow for one to tilt the capsuled coin in order to maximize its viewing enjoyment.

I routinely crack out the MS69 coins for easy storage back in their original capsules. Besides, one day PCGS might have the "+" grade extended to MS69 coins (it only goes up to MS68 right now) and I will be ready image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If for display and enjoyment, I would keep it raw....they are awesome coins and deserve to be appreciated in the natural state. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack and put in the original capsule and with the OGP.
    Send the label back and get fifty cents. Of course the stamp will cost you forty seven cents so it's a wash, but a 3 cent check would be cool.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My plan requires that one send the label back C.O.D.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd keep it raw- they're beautiful and fun to hold.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos for displaying that lovely piece.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from the pieces I need for my registry sets, I keep all of my modern in their mint containers. The original box most especially the book that came with UHR are way cool. I would like to have a better example of UHR because I got one with too much die polishing, but it is not high on my want list at the current prices.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I got one too but didn't enjoy having so much money tied up in one coin, especially a 3 yr old coin. I wanted older coins with more history so I bought a bunch of morgans with the money. Sometimes I want to buy one but the price puts a damper on things.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Openly displaying is like putting a target on your back IMO.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I like slabs, I think the UHR's look best raw in their original government packaging.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Openly displaying is like putting a target on your back IMO. >>

That is a very sad perspective.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Openly displaying is like putting a target on your back IMO. >>

That is a very sad perspective. >>

Sorry but mine stays at the Credit Union. You will see more guns than coins at my house.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I vote for raw. It is more eye appealing. Slabbed is good for establishing value and selling but not necessary for display purposes.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put it on the front porch so they don't have to break in. image

I have a spare original box you can have if you can find it cheaper.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file