Home Precious Metals
Options

Post your best investment ideas for 2013!!! 3rd Quarter results posted!

Comments

• Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I'd go 100% into MAUXF this year. Dividends counted as cash payments, not reinvested. Thanks for making the thread.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Aww, am I too late to join? I missed out on last year too image

If it's not too late, I'd like to go all in with MAUXF as stated in my previous post. Also, thank you for organizing all of this.

Joe
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Day 1 Fun Facts:

51 portfolios up
    3 portfolios down
    1 portfolio even

Average gain YTD: 2.73%

Largest gain: +24.83%
    Largest loss: -23.98%

Top 5:
    cohodk
    rawteam1
    roadrunner
    Tiggs2012
    Wingsrule

OPA is NOT in 21st placeimage (although he may wish he was)
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm ...

DJIA ... +2.35%
    S&P 500 ... +2.54%
    CU Pickers ... +2.73%
    Russell 2000 ... +2.91%
    NASDAQ ... +3.07%

Smack dab in the middle of the market. Looks like RedTiger's 2012 observations held true for day 1 of 2013. image

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last year I played to hit a grand slam, this year I'm going to play smart. Highest percentage return wins right?
    My pick will be to sell the Apple January 2014 250 puts.

imageimage

Edit to change from 350 to 250. >>

whats price on that?
    $2.50 ??? tryin to figure it out...lol
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OPA is NOT in 21st place (although he may wish he was) >>

bummer..."I'll be back."image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Day 1 Fun Facts:

Largest loss: -23.98% >>

I think I can guess but, was that me?? image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options

I think I can guess but, was that me??

That would be a 'yes'. But don't feel bad. Guess who is the first person to drop from 'top 5' to 'bottom 5' in a single day?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guess who is the first person to drop from 'top 5' to 'bottom 5' in a single day? >>

image Works out good, looking for the right moment (maybe Friday) to dump ultra short silver paper at a nice profit. See ya back at the top shortly.

If it wasn't me, I suspect it was Wings.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>I think I can guess but, was that me??

That would be a 'yes'. But don't feel bad. Guess who is the first person to drop from 'top 5' to 'bottom 5' in a single day? >>

Its all good, when the market crashes I will be sittin pretty image

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Five of us geniuses managed to drop 40 or more spots in the last 48 hours...

OPA - only $4

imageimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, cohodk. Already in the money.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My b.j. hand busted for the first time in 5 weeks...bummerimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Its a long contest, I'll make up the ground in time... I hope image

Pretty funny 5 dropped 40 spots.

Thanks again for doing this, really fun post!

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>Lol, cohodk. Already in the money. >>

Wow, what a strange interpretation by Wingsrule. At a 10% margin requirement, $2500 per contract, that would be either three or four contracts sold if the account has $9900 in buying power (plus the $1000 in premium if $2.50 per contract). That would translate into a max gain for the entire year of $750 or $1000 or about 8% to 10% max gain for the year, basis the starting account value. I mentioned the variable margin requirements for selling puts much earlier in the thread.

The loophole does remind me of a paper trading contest while in school. We were allowed to pick any stock listed in the newspaper and get the price quoted in the paper for the close. The massive loophole was to pick some thinly traded warrants that consistently traded at 1/64 or 1/32 on the days that they did trade. I could double the contest money every few days by waiting for a print at 1/64 or 1/32 and buying at the lower price, and selling at the higher. The real world volume was often one lot so the actually dollar amount traded was $1.50 to $3, not the millions I eventually amassed in the paper game. This is about as bad as the loophole Cohodk has been allowed to use. How unfortunate for Wingsrule to waste all his hard work and make a total farce of a contest for the other participants that made sincere entries in hopes of winning some bragging rights.

These stories are more reasons why I believe contests are mostly a total waste of time and energy. There are often loopholes in the rules that allow a gamer to find a hole to crawl through. There was a recent contest on one of the big financial websites with valuable prizes that had a big loophole that many players found a way to exploit. In that case, if a contestant opened the contest order screen before the close, they could get that closing price as a contest trade. The loophole was to open the trade window before the after-the-close earnings reports and then go long or short based on the movement from the earnings, and get their contest trade at the pre-earnings report price.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of sour grapes. Very unfortunate.

The contest is to pick an investment that will have the greatest % return over the next year. It got confusing when a $ amount was added. There is no reason to have any dollar amount since the number of dollars on Dec 31, 2013 doesn't matter. The dollar amount was added last year to make it easier for people to see their return.

I am taking risk in that my Max gain will be less than 100%. Every year there ate 100 of stocks that go up more than 100%. Find them and you will win. Simple.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    RT - were you in my high school Economics class? We had that very same contest. Our group found a company named Bangor and their warrants were trading at the 1/32 and 1/64 you mentioned. We were doing great, until the company went BK, got delisted, and we ended at 0.

I understand your point but did not think about that possibility when the rules were initially posted. I am not typically one to change the rules after the fact. I have already added the disclaimer that it will not be allowed in next year's contest (if there is one).

While I believe that cohodk will end up at a smidge under $18K for his end-of-year balance, I also believe it will take more than 100% to win.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I made an extra $378 this past week. You know my mailing address WR LOL.
    You guys that dropped quickly will surely be back in the hunt at some point...51 weeks to go.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How unfortunate for Wingsrule to waste all his hard work and make a total farce of a contest ... contests are mostly a total waste of time and energy

RT, buddy, let's not get overly dramatic here, this is for fun and entertainment, we've got over 100 different securities to follow through the year, and anyone can choose to ignore the whole thing, follow every one, or whatever in between. I find it fascinating, the range of different ideas the group has come up with

I am taking risk in that my Max gain will be less than 100%. Every year there are 100 of stocks that go up more than 100%. Find them and you will win. Simple.

While I believe that cohodk will end up at a smidge under $18K for his end-of-year balance, I also believe it will take more than 100% to win.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of sour grapes. Very unfortunate.

The contest is to pick an investment that will have the greatest % return over the next year. It got confusing when a $ amount was added. There is no reason to have any dollar amount since the number of dollars on Dec 31, 2013 doesn't matter. The dollar amount was added last year to make it easier for people to see their return.

I am taking risk in that my Max gain will be less than 100%. Every year there ate 100 of stocks that go up more than 100%. Find them and you will win. Simple. >>

Fact is you're effectively cheating and you have no morals or regards for it. Even by your own 'fuzzy' margin rules, you're cheating further by being allowed more than 3 contracts and breaking the rules guidelines with your non-fungible play. You've violated the spirit of the rules and its very unfortunate that people like you have no problems with cheating at what should be a fun contest. Noone should be allowed who is not even allocating the 9k. Grats on making a farce of it all! Ever worked for Enron or JPM in the past?
  • Options
    its just a game
    any real thoughts on the market at this time metal or stock
    i'm not really getting a read either way
  • Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These stories are more reasons why I believe contests are mostly a total waste of time and energy. There are often loopholes in the rules that allow a gamer to find a hole to crawl through. There was a recent contest on one of the big financial websites with valuable prizes that had a big loophole that many players found a way to exploit. In that case, if a contestant opened the contest order screen before the close, they could get that closing price as a contest trade. The loophole was to open the trade window before the after-the-close earnings reports and then go long or short based on the movement from the earnings, and get their contest trade at the pre-earnings report price. >>

I was pissed about that. I was in the top 20 out of 600,000 or so portfolios when they froze the game. They should have just removed the cheaters instead of resetting everyone to zero. I'm sure I would have been in the top 5 if they would have done so with only a few weeks left to go. I was looking forward to the $1m grand prize. Had my eye on a few coinsimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Lots of sour grapes. Very unfortunate.

I am taking risk in that my Max gain will be less than 100%. Every year there ate 100 of stocks that go up more than 100%. Find them and you will win. Simple. >>

Fact is you're effectively cheating and you have no morals or regards for it. Even by your own 'fuzzy' margin rules, you're cheating further by being allowed more than 3 contracts and breaking the rules guidelines with your non-fungible play. You've violated the spirit of the rules and its very unfortunate that people like you have no problems with cheating at what should be a fun contest. Noone should be allowed who is not even allocating the 9k. Grats on making a farce of it all! Ever worked for Enron or JPM in the past? >>

Apparently you have no confidence in your own contest pics. I think this is proving to be a life lesson

• Options
    Let's do this.... eliminate the 9000 dollars thing as I think it's confusing people. the contest is highest percent return on your i nvestment pick. It is not to see who can make the most money on 90hi00.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is getting on of hand and no longer much fun.

This is WR's contest and his rules so tough noggies if you don't like them. He already said he will make the necessary changes next year but wouldn't make any in the current contest. He must watch a lot of NFL Football.

We had the same $9000 to start with last year. We were to put $9000 to work. Easy peasy.

This post is directed at no one person in particular. There are plenty rocking the boat.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is getting on of hand and no longer much fun.

This is WR's contest and his rules so tough noggies if you don't like them. He already said he will make the necessary changes next year but wouldn't make any in the current contest. He must watch a lot of NFL Football.

We had the same $9000 to start with last year. We were to put $9000 to work. Easy peasy.

This post is directed at no one person in particular. There are plenty rocking the boat.

MJ >>

I'm OK with it.

Just waiting for iTV to be announced later this year.
  • Options
    i'm sorry you guys have issues but this is a game lets play. hope you guys work it out
    lifes to short to do what your doing it's like they own you you figure it out
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I wouldn't have played unless I was fully confident in a 100% return. I don't expect to win, but you'll have to do quite well to beat me.image
  • Options
    Wingsrule, I appreciate your efforts. cohodk's picks are fine with me, because I made my own adjustments and I'm gonna kick ass this year.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    suggest that those not happy with the rules or application of the rules withdraw from the competition. just a suggestion.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    The future

Industrial Hemp

But not just industrial. Medical and recreational.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say if a person leverages, at the first margin call-----game over for them.

I would have thought that the gentlemans way to play the game is to not bring leverage into the equation. A person is granted 9k, not 9k + credit.

My way of competing is not shared by all obviously. It's a precious metals forum and stock brokers and traders apparently have lost track of that.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I take the "under" bet on all those expecting >100% returns for the year? image.........my only caveat is that I want to bundle them all (3 or more) sort of like creating
    a tranche of MBS's or CDS's. .....image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Yes Roadrunner, I'll take the over, let's create some derivatives on the year end results. QUAD IRONY! image

• Options

<< <i>I would say if a person leverages, at the first margin call-----game over for them.

I would have thought that the gentlemans way to play the game is to not bring leverage into the equation. A person is granted 9k, not 9k + credit.

My way of competing is not shared by all obviously. It's a precious metals forum and stock brokers and traders apparently have lost track of that.

image >>

So why is BAC one of your picks

Consistancy is credibility. image

• Options
    Congrats to Crazy4Coins, your PPHM UP 80% TODAY!!

• Options

<< <i>Congrats to Crazy4Coins, your PPHM UP 80% TODAY!! >>

Where was the heads up that this was going to explode! image

Nice pick

• Options
    Baley is on top of things! I was just about to post that. 15X average volume.

cohodk is now trailing him by about $2,500.
  • Options

Thats what I like to see. Hope he had smoe real $$$ on that trade.

And this is why stocks will always attract more $$$ than PMs.

• Options

<< <i>

And this is why stocks will always attract more $$$ than PMs. >>

Stocks will always attract more $$$ because the people that really profit from them control their price and can therefore make their price temporarily attractive (the old bear trap).

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would say if a person leverages, at the first margin call-----game over for them.

image >>

So why is BAC one of your picks

Consistancy is credibility. image >>

MaaaaMEEEE, davey is picking on me again.image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    I dont pick on anybody. Just call 'em as I see 'em. My posts over the past 9 years should prove that. I is what I is. image

And Im speechless over derryb's comment.

• Options

<< <i>I dont pick on anybody. Just call 'em as I see 'em. My posts over the past 9 years should prove that. I is what I is. image

And Im speechless over derryb's comment. >>

finally. image

• Options
    Crazy4CoinsCrazy4Coins Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

And this is why stocks will always attract more $$$ than PMs. >>

Thanks. All three of my picks should perform well this year. I'm expecting 400% gain....give or take a 100.

Unfortunately, PPHM is only on my watch list. I almost bought 5k shares when it was sitting at .70 cents. I was waiting for it to fall back down before entering the trade. Oh well. I am loaded up on the other two.
  • Options
    ...and wayneme joins the "over 40" club, along with HalfStrike...

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think its pretty cool 56 people signed up for this contest............................................... and only 47 of them are ahead of me image
  • Options
    I already hold the record for moves in a single week (tied for first, actually). Just setting up the playing field so I can also be the first to register a 50 spot move.image
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the KGJI RR, nice pick.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the KGJI RR, nice pick. >>

Speculative/volatile as all get out though. Who knows what goes on in Chinese companies? This insignificant little gold jeweler stock seemed to show the breakdown coming as
    early as mid-October. And on it's rebound back above a very bearish neckline seemed to broadcast a recovery. We'll see if it works. Unfortunately, I was riding
    the KGJI train twice already last month and jumped off on the spike. Then I was afraid to re-enter due to the typical tiny daily volume. The day I sold my shares I was
    about 20% of the daily volume....lol. Had I still been in it, I'd have been tempted to dump on the 2nd and 3rd spikes. I had no clue of the recent bullish news they posted this
    week. That's just dumb luck. These tiny gold stocks have whipped me 20 pts or so each week. Next week I could easily be back in the 20's or lower again. image
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    This is cool! I love this! I'm already clawing my way to the top, one cent at a time.image

I knew it would happen.