Home Precious Metals
Options

Who thinks silver will reach $50/oz in 2013

Will silver reach $50 next year?

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magic 8 ball seems to give the odds of 50 as greater than the odds of 25 for 2013 ... but frankly I don't suspect a closing outside that range even once in 2013

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not likely.....perhaps a high of $39?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I voted no.
    I don't think it will break $40 in 2013.
    JMHO
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silver will close over $50/oz in 2013 on the way to a high of $100/oz by 2020 image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Yes, just inflation alone will carry it. This economy MUST inflate to avoid recession/depression. That is the goal of the present decision makers. They will achieve it.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess it will not close above $50 in 2013. I hope I'm wrong. If it does have a two day close over $50 Katy bar the door..............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I give it about a 60% shot of reaching $50 sometime next year.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I voted no. >>

Agree. Since Obama and Congress will work together to get our financial house in order there will be no pressure on precious metals to rise significantly.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe $40 is possible, I doubt much over that....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I think $50 will be broken this year, silver has been forming a pricebound wedge which suggests a breakout to the upside at some point and when it breaks it could go parobolic.

Think of it as a coiled spring, the more it is compressed the more it leaps. As for things that will cause it to leap I can think of QE to infinity being the main reason though eventually a currency problem can not be ruled out.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking 35 or 36.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I really don't know. Not even a clue. What I do know is that government finance won't be cured by the end of 2013.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I voted no. >>

Agree. Since Obama and Congress will work together to get our financial house in order there will be no pressure on precious metals to rise significantly.image >>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to me that this failure to work together would cause metals to rise? Sure seems to have worked that way in the last 4 years?

GrandAm image

I just reread PerryHall's post,,,,,, perhaps his statement was "Tongue in Cheek" image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I voted no. >>

Agree. Since Obama and Congress will work together to get our financial house in order there will be no pressure on precious metals to rise significantly.image >>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems to me that this failure to work together would cause metals to rise? Sure seems to have worked that way in the last 4 years?

GrandAm image

I just reread PerryHall's post,,,,,, perhaps his statement was "Tongue in Cheek" image >>

Yup. That's why I added the winky face at the end.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Past 8 year silver chart.

guess 25:50:25 that it breaks higher than $38, trades between 38 and 26, or breaks $26.

So I'll go with "trades between $26 and $38 in 2013 and ends the year at 32.

sorry it's not very exciting.. I will say that if it breaks out above 50 on volume it will probably run to 60 pretty quick before pulling back

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The economy is too fragile to not be allowed to improve. It will not be politically expedient
    to try to suppress the metals in the inflationary enviroment that's getting started. Silver
    should easily hit $50 next year.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not voting until PoM chimes in.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    6:30 pm on 12/09/12: All tied at 15.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Umm, I think it's got to break $35, and stay above $35 for more than a day, first as i've been saying for some time.
    But what do I know? Some here think I said it would never get above $30 ever again with sincerity image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, an ounce of silver will buy $50 in 2013
    and yes it will hit 35 before it hits 50

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    I do not see silver hitting and holding $50 in 2013. I do not see silver hitting and holding $50 before 2015. Just my gut feeling speaking to me.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the slightest idea, but IMO, i just dont see it holding any where near that level, in fact If it hits 45-50 again , it wont stay but for a very brief time before a major sell off /correction. Just locally, I know of about 5 customers who are waiting for 45-50 again to dump at least 2k oz , if it does. They have been waiting for an exit.(for a while now)
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold the same, I dont have as many as silver folks, but do have one guy that has 650 oz of gold, he is waiting for 2k gold to sell it all, and get out.
  • Options

<< <i>Gold the same, I dont have as many as silver folks, but do have one guy that has 650 oz of gold, he is waiting for 2k gold to sell it all, and get out. >>

he'll sell the gold because it hits his round number price target, even if there's still a national debt and gov't deficit problem? What does he plan to do with his $1.3 million?

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gold the same, I dont have as many as silver folks, but do have one guy that has 650 oz of gold, he is waiting for 2k gold to sell it all, and get out. >>

he'll sell the gold because it hits his round number price target, even if there's still a national debt and gov't deficit problem? What does he plan to do with his $1.3 million? >>

Maybe he'll buy it back at 2.1K
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options

<< <i>

he'll sell the gold because it hits his round number price target, even if there's still a national debt and gov't deficit problem? What does he plan to do with his $1.3 million? >>

Enjoy life & have fun....After all, you can't take it with yaimage
  • Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭
    Since I cannot see an agreement to cut our spending and raise taxes enough to cut $1 trillion a year from our budget, silver and gold will be significantly higher in 2013 so I voted yes.

Total tax revenues have averaged less than $2.5 trillion a year for the past several years while our spending has been in the $3.5 trillion range. Just to stay even, $1 trillion needs to either be cut and/or tax revenue increased. None of the plans being discussed now comes anywhere near that amount.

If taxes are raised too much, we could easily see a recession with greater unemployment which will reduce the overall tax collections or at best keep them where they have been averaging. I know we are not suppose to bring up politics on this board but poor politics (in the way our economy has been run) has been the sole reason gold is significantly higher and the main reason silver is much higher (industrial use has also been a factor for silver). If our politicians did their jobs correctly, there would be little reason to discuss precious metals and to have this board.

Kicking the can down the road for so long has left politicians with no good choices. I love this country greatly but I fear we are headed for an economic collapse. The people and their great work ethic made this country great for so many years. That work ethic and love of country started to wane the past 20 to 30 years. Our leaders stopped asking what the citizens could do for the country and instead starting telling us all - hey let your country do for you. Unfortunately, someone has to pay the bill when that happens. Creating money out of thin air can make that work for a little while but there comes a time when that house of cards comes crashing down - a economic collapse or severe monetary inflation.

Many of our political leaders and a majority of our citizens do not have an economic clue and because of that, this sadly will end badly for the US.
    American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Before I read the thread, I voted yes. Could spike to that level, but I wouldn't buy at that level because it would level back off or even dip further in rebound. I would def take advantage to sell off less desired items. I have no idea how that would affect ETFs or the other way around, or gold. Trying to think of what national circumstances would drive it that high within a year....

Ya can't guess on price, but you can have general plans in place for different scenarios.
    COA
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    TDS says...

<< <i>Silver should benefit from many of the same dynamics as gold, but also be helped by increased industrial demand. “Given the metal’s volatility, it should outperform gold with a price near $44/oz when it reaches its late-2013 highs,” TDS said. >>

Another place in the article they give an average estimate of $40.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Nope.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    As of now the vote is very close---32 No vs. 30 Yes. Tells me that many people aren't very optimistic about our economic future.

• Options
    We have 33 that still believe in Santa, the Tooth Ferry or J.S's ramblings.image

• Options
    I'll have to listen more to Glen Beck, and then I'll let you know.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I voted no. I feel we may get into the low $40's for a bit but will be stuck in in the $30's most of the year.

Now, if it hits $50+ an oz., it will put pressure on the old "SALE IT NOW" button!

So, it silver hits $50, where do you think gold will be in 2013?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think it will be in the same range that it is now. jmo
  • Options
    We haven't had anything like the buzz around higher silver prices we had in 1979-1980. I'm not sure that we'll see much resistance at $50 when silver decides to pop. Our baseline is $30 to $35. In 1979 the baseline was $6.00 to $7.00 and that was causing excitement. I don't see all that much excitement right now, but the value is there.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote 'yes' only because I believe the Fed will have a large QE program again in 2013.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    6 months later... what do folks think now?

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I still say, "no" but now I doubt we will hit in the forties and will feel lucky if we make it into the thirties, even mid to high twenties!!! But, who knows what will happen this fall. When does Ben speak again?
  • Options
    I haven't changed my view......"only when cows learn to fly" and I agree, it's unlikely that we'll see $30.
  • Options
    Will we see $15 or $25 first?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most predictions for higher prices seem to have been based around increased Govt spending (fundamentals).
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The indicators are pointing to $15 in '15 And gas could be under a buck.
  • Options

<< <i>Will we see $15 or $25 first? >>

Well, we saw $25 first. I'm betting that it won't go down to $15 before the e/o year. It's not very often, that this Forum with so many die heart conspiracy followers, actually had a majority who guessed correctly.
  • Options
    I wouldn't rule it out even now.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wouldn't rule it out even now. >>

I can figure if you're an optimist or pessimist. imageimage
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Highly speculative as usual, with a tendency to do the opposite.
    COA