Home Precious Metals
Options

Metal "too cool to melt" premium?

BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
Seeing all the excitement over the cruder forms of gold and silver as "old pours" and in coin form whether newly-issued perfect NCLT coins or discovered bags of Canadian $5s and $10s,

It occurs to ask, at what point does the "collectibility" of a PM item mean it will practically never again be melted and reshaped in another form or used in industry, and therefore stop being driven primarily by metal spot price (though the metal puts a floor under it) and value primarily be driven by collector demand?

The point being, if it's a collectible, it stops being a commodity available for "value added" practical technological use and is relegated as just something for one person to admire while it's being stored.

Something that throws off no income nor generates any value multiplier to anyone, except for an intangible, purely mental "pride (or security) of ownership" value the owner and a delayed capital change (gain or loss) for the owner upon eventual resale to a different accumulator and storer (or his heirs for those who say, "never sell")

My person practical reason for asking is, should I buy a few ounces of gold, or take the extended family on a vacation? Which memories will be better on my deathbed, the memories of a 10 day Caribbean cruise for 10 people, or the memories of owning another half a dozen double eagles? Assume I have to do one or the other, and the option of "buy the gold and take 2 cruises later" is not available, because 2 of the people won't be around much later, and 4 of them won't be kids much longer.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Simple......take the cruise.
    Becky
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never been on a cruise but given the choices that is what I would do. Cruise me..................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Buy 1/4 of the equivalent of the gold in silver. Pony up and take the cruise as well.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    The question is: did you buy any of the canadian coins?! image

Joking aside, I vote for the cruise and family time.
    Nothing is more valuable!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Really?
    I think on your death bed taking the cruise with family would be remembered/appreciated well before how much gold did one accumulate.
    You may or may not be able to buy more gold later but from the sounds of it you will never have the opportunity to do this cruise again with the people you mention.
    JMHO.
    Best!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Cruise.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate the idea of being on a cruise ship in the ocean. Send nine people, tell them to have a blast.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I get seasick in the bathtub...send me the gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take the cruise.....live life.... there is no other. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Sell the fancy bust half (the discovery piece) and do the cruise!!!
  • Options
    the last paragraph is more of a rhetorical question, we're going on the cruise, but of course I wonder if I should have bought the gold to "save for later"

it's the first paragraphs I was more interested in, e.g. if it will never again get melted because it's "too cool" and carries premium to melt, doesn't it cease functioning as gold, and might as well be silver, copper, or paint and canvas, currency paper, carved ivory, whatever other substance with "value"?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrandAm image

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy participating in the numismatic hobby, but I refuse to miss out on memories with my family. I would walk away in a heart beat, if I had to chose family or hobby!
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baley .. have fun on your cruise with your family....You only live once, enjoy life while you can.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great memories are worth much more than gold.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It occurs to ask, at what point does the "collectibility" of a PM item mean it will practically never again be melted and reshaped in another form or used in industry, and therefore stop being driven primarily by metal spot price (though the metal puts a floor under it) and value primarily be driven by collector demand? >>

Very hard to say. Hard to specifically narrow this thought down. It could be as simple as 2 people wanting the same PM item, 1 paying moon money for it, then sticking it in the back of the safe never to be sold by him, even though it may be relatively common.

I have heard about key and better date Morgans/Peace $'s and Walker Halves being sent to the smelter. I guess it all depends on who ends up with them (i.e. Heirs) and where they take them to sell (i.e. Cash4Gold). Nothing is safe from the smelter if it's in ignorant hands.

Enjoy the cruise.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭
    Went on a Caribbean cruise for the first time a couple years back...cruise image

For fun...find some spot PMs while in port image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    take the cruise. Metal is where you go for financial peace of mind.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cruise of course, without question ... image

It occurs to ask, at what point does the "collectibility" of a PM item mean it will practically never again be melted and reshaped in another form or used in industry, and therefore stop being driven primarily by metal spot price (though the metal puts a floor under it) and value primarily be driven by collector demand?

I like this question. I don't have an answer, because I think it changes. And because it changes, I think the above-ground potential supply (for industry / fabrication / etc.)changes as well.

In ?? late March / early April of 2011 as silver started (or was in) it's somewhat parabolic moment, I purchased a roll of pristine 1947-S Roosies for something like 15% over melt. I do not, and did not consider them part of my "stack" of metal, but the price they went for was coming in line with their metal price. They hold a place in my collection, although they don't fit anywhere really. Should silver reach 100. anytime soon (say within the next 12 months), would there be any collector premium left? Probably not. If silver steadily climbed with it's regular dips and peaks and volatility, and then reached 100. ten years from now? There would probably be a premium re-attached as the market for collectability readjusted to historical PM prices. But maybe no one would want Gem Roosies either, so that's no given.

I think the same is true for many "collectable" PM coins. Certain gold issues trade for roughly the same as they did when gold was 2/3rds of it's current price. The collectable premium eroded, in my opinion, do to the "quick" rise in prices. The market there has not yet adjusted. Should gold hold and advance over the next two years or so, I would suspect many gold issues will regain some, or maybe all of the premiums they used to have. Maybe not, but I think it's more probable the percentage premiums will increase for many as the historical PM prices support new baseline melt values.

BTW ... glad I saw your questions ... good way to start my day image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

<< <i>
    >>It occurs to ask, at what point does the "collectibility" of a PM item mean it will practically never again be melted and reshaped in another form or used in industry, and therefore stop being driven primarily by metal spot price (though the metal puts a floor under it) and value primarily be driven by collector demand?<<

I like this question. I don't have an answer, because I think it changes. And because it changes, I think the above-ground potential supply (for industry / fabrication / etc.)changes as well.

In ?? late March / early April of 2011 as silver started (or was in) it's somewhat parabolic moment, I purchased a roll of pristine 1947-S Roosies for something like 15% over melt. I do not, and did not consider them part of my "stack" of metal, but the price they went for was coming in line with their metal price. They hold a place in my collection, although they don't fit anywhere really. Should silver reach 100. anytime soon (say within the next 12 months), would there be any collector premium left? Probably not. If silver steadily climbed with it's regular dips and peaks and volatility, and then reached 100. ten years from now? There would probably be a premium re-attached as the market for collectability readjusted to historical PM prices. But maybe no one would want Gem Roosies either, so that's no given.

I think the same is true for many "collectable" PM coins. Certain gold issues trade for roughly the same as they did when gold was 2/3rds of it's current price. The collectable premium eroded, in my opinion, do to the "quick" rise in prices. The market there has not yet adjusted. Should gold hold and advance over the next two years or so, I would suspect many gold issues will regain some, or maybe all of the premiums they used to have. Maybe not, but I think it's more probable the percentage premiums will increase for many as the historical PM prices support new baseline melt values.

BTW ... glad I saw your questions ... good way to start my day image >>

Hey POL, thanks for the comment, that is the kind of insightful analysis that makes for interesting reading and thinking.. what got me started is the posts in other threads about the industrial demand for silver, and then the idea that collectible stuff with premium (old pour bars, proof NCLT in PF 70 TPG holders, maybe your roll of BU 47S dimes) might as well not be made of PMs for the purposes of availability for industrial use, because of the premium. I do wonder at what price level if any they are worth more for manufacturing, but also wonder, if they were melted, would they just instead be issued as new coins with higher premiums?

Because there seems to be no shortage of people who want to buy this year's mint output for quite a bit more than melt, even at higher PM prices.

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    If silver goes to a 150$ plus an ounce of silver in 3 to 6 months...my guess it would go down similar to this Indecent Proposal movie quote

David: [while playing pool] I guess there's limits to what money can buy.
    John: Not many.
    Diana: Well some things aren't for sale.
    John: Such as?
    Diana: Well you can't buy people.
    John: That's naive, Diana. I buy people every day.
    Diana: In business, maybe, but you can't buy people not when real emotions are involved.
    John: So you're saying you can't buy love? That's a bit of a cliché don't you think?
    Diana: It's absolutely true.
    John: Is it? What do you think?
    David: I agree with Diana.
    John: You do? Well let's test the cliché. Suppose... I were to offer you one million dollars for one night with your wife.
    David: I'd assume you're kidding.
    John: Let's pretend I'm not. What would you say?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx