Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1912 - 1914 Canada $5 & $10 Hoard Being Sold!

Comments

• Options
    why not the 1913, what is wrong with that one

I'm guessing statement was made because 1913 mintage is higher. No one knows at this time how many of each year. 1914 being the last year might be the largest amount in the hoard. That might be why the 1914 commands higher price less in circulation and most in the hoard. Things could change.

<< RCM must have done their homework here, no money left on the table. MHO >>

If RCM did such great homework they would have charged more for the 1914 $5. I think the coins are going to be several different grades with some people getting late Christmas gifts from RCM.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I believe someone pointed out above that although the 1914 has a higher mintage, it has been commanding a higher price up to this point in time in the secondary markets for some reason.
    Whatever.....all good!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wonder which one will be the next sell-out the 1913 or the 1914? I suspect the 1914, just my guess. >>

why not the 1913, what is wrong with that one? >>

People like even numbers.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It's strange...when I ordered, the '13 was the only one available. Same site with the mintages added this info, as to why the '14 is the lowest: >>

It seems safe to say that the 1914 $5 at 31,000 mintage will remain the king.....of the $5's.

As for the $10's - the 1912 is the lowest mintage. However, in many of the standard reference guides, the 1914 $10, followed by the 1913 and then the 1912 is the order of value - high to low - for unc coins. Exactly opposite their actual mintages - where 1912 is the lowest, followe by 1913 next lowest and 1914 the most common.

I want to see the revised mintages - I certainly hope the RCM does the job right and edits the mintages for their melting of 200,000+ coins - so we can see where the true rarity lies in the Canadian $10 series after the dust settles.

This means you better have at least one 1913 and 1914 $10's to cover all your bases!! At very little over melt - it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. >>

There it is.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Due to the advent of WW I 1914's were made in a very hasty fashion, and many were of inferior quality and sent to the melting pots. The hoard that remains is not exempt and most are being rejected and will not end up in collectors' hands.

I just made that all up, but is sounds good, huh? Please excuse (or enjoy) my sense of humor. On the other hand, I think these Canadian gold coins are a reasonable buy while they are still available.

Have a good weekend.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    1912 $5 2400
    1913 $5 2600
    1914 $5 500

1912 $10 4200
    1913 $10 10,000
    1914 $10 10,000

These are only my guess on how many sold of each so take it worth a grain of salt, lol. The 1912 $10 could be lower, maybe down to 2000 so if that is the case add more to the 1913 and 14 $10's.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As gold bullion this is a unique type of offering.

Some speculative food for thought...

My guess is that most of the ones headed for melting are the last ones that were made. Since these were minted in anticipation of being used to finance war expenses, I would think that the first ones made would have been spent, and the last ones made didn't quite make it out the door.

If that is the case, then the $10 coins having the largest mintages might very well be the ones with the largest melt. Unless the CM provides an accounting, we may never know which ones are the scarcest. For certain, this will pump up interest in old Canadian gold.

Either way, this is history in the making. Cool stuff.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ok, can someone knowledgeable in Canadian explain this to me.....

You could buy 5 of the 6 issues at the Premium Hand Selected quality for $6,125. But, the complete six coin set is $12,000? Is the single 1912 $10 in Premium Hand Selected condition worth the extra $5,875?

You could buy a regular Hand Selected 1912 $10 for $1,000. Is a high grade 1912 $10 worth that much more? >>

Not exactly. The quality of the coins in the 6-piece set is over and above the "premium handpicked" singles, by the verbage on the RCM site:

The coins selected for this 6-coin set were carefully hand-picked and represent the very best in the entire collection.

They took the best 840 coins out of the 245,000 hoard and offered the group for $12,000.

I see how that's worded now. They are supposedly the best of all the coins. Thanks for the clarification.
    Get 6 of the very best coins out of a quarter million to choose from, for only $12,000? I'll take that deal.

Unfortunately, 140 very fast people beat me to it. >>

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought the 1913 and 1914 $10 early this morning.

Depending on what credit cards you have in your wallet, you should use one that does not charge a foreign currency transaction fee--usually 3%. Capital One cards generally do not charge this fee.

Also note if your order is $2,000 or more, the Canadian Mint asks for your SSN.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From PR Newswire:

Ian E. Bennett, President of the Royal Canadian Mint and Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of Canada
    unveil Canada's first gold coins at the Mint's Gold Refinery Vault in Ottawa, Ontario on November 28, 2012.

Produced by the Mint from 1912 to 1914 and previously stored at the Bank of Canada for over 75 years,
    the coins are now available for purchase from the Mint

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>From PR Newswire:

Ian E. Bennett, President of the Royal Canadian Mint and Mark Carney, Governor of the Bank of Canada
    unveil Canada's first gold coins at the Mint's Gold Refinery Vault in Ottawa, Ontario on November 28, 2012.

Produced by the Mint from 1912 to 1914 and previously stored at the Bank of Canada for over 75 years,
    [/IMG] >>

I wish that was my basement! image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never bought a coin from Canada before, anyone know if there is any duty fees? >>

I bought a 1902 UNC eagle out of a hoard from Gander AFB Newfoundland many years back and it sailed right through the USPS. No additional fees.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>From PR Newswire:

image >>

I hope the pieces scraping against each other in the bag and rubbing against the table are the coins they intend to melt and not the "premium hand selected" uncirculated coins that they are selling.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    ^^^ I would suspect that those are coins destined for melt; as the staged packaged coins appear ready for sale.
  • Options
    Those wood boxes are cool. I wonder if they are worth the extra $750.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If they grade MS63 or less for premium I imagine many will be disappointed. If the hand select are MS63 or higher then yes it is a great deal.

7/8 The only coin that is more rare than the Lucy Hayes unc is probably the 1914 $5, the rest will be released in higher numbers than that coin. >>

Exactly, I don't thinking people are looking at these through the historical lens correctly. The subject "spouses" are actually older in many cases than these coins and of more historical signifigance. Where would we be without Alice Paul, Martha Washington, etc.

Clearly the spouses have more historical significance taken as a set. These look like a three year bullion set. >>

Is this a joke?

These coins do not compare to those half ounce rounds..

1. The first spouce coins have an overall boring theme

2. The designs are like chuck-e-cheese tokens - boring, ugly old hags

3. They are a half ounce of gold - with over 40 in the set (20+ ounces of pure gold) just at melt price needs over $30,000 to complete. Which prices out many people from collecting.

4. As mentioned above, these coins are destined to become the American Arts medallions of the future, with "historical" themes - that most people poo poo. And American arts medallion collectors will be upset - their series has continued with an aditional 40+ coins.

These Canadian gold coins are all low mintage - each under 150,000 minted.

100 years old, original uncirculated. There are only 6 coins in the entire set. The RCM is offically melting 1/3 of the overall mintage. etc etc etc
  • Options
    Wonder if they'd consider throwing in one of those gold bars?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>

Is this a joke?

These coins do not compare to those half ounce rounds..

1. The first spouce coins have an overall boring theme

2. The designs are like chuck-e-cheese tokens - boring, ugly old hags

3. They are a half ounce of gold - with over 40 in the set (20+ ounces of pure gold) just at melt price needs over $30,000 to complete. Which prices out many people from collecting.

4. As mentioned above, these coins are destined to become the American Arts medallions of the future, with "historical" themes - that most people poo poo. And American arts medallion collectors will be upset - their series has continued with an aditional 40+ coins.

These Canadian gold coins are all low mintage - each under 150,000 minted.

100 years old, original uncirculated. There are only 6 coins in the entire set. The RCM is offically melting 1/3 of the overall mintage. etc etc etc >>

I agree that they are old, but still a short bullion set. Looking at it that way, I quess people do pay premiums for rare englehard bars. So I can see these as collector bullion, but the spouses are collector coins.

• Options
    I think Draped10c must be deep into Spouse coins.
  • Options
    I think Draped10c must be deep into Spouse coins.

If that is the case, it really hasn't been a bad move overall since they were first issued, if profitability is the ultimate motive. The same might also be said for these particular Canadian issues, but I suspect that the jury will be out for awhile on these.

I broke my own cardinal rule in ordering some of these, because I think that this year's Gold Spouse issues are going to be the low water point in mintages and my motivation is certainly speculative profit for most coins I buy. Occasionally however, I get caught up in the coolness factor and the century-old Canadian gold fits into that category for me.

It's all gold, and the dollar is going nowhere fast. Take your best shot, it's all good.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an excellent article in this week's Coin World on the offering. I am not sure if this was already covered in this thread (and I apologize if it has been), but here are the salient points:

1. The Bank of Canada held 245,000 $5 and $10 gold coins since 1935
    2. RCM hired a professional grader to help sort the coins
    3. A total of 30,000 coins were offered for sale, and the rest are to be melted
    4. 140 6 coin "premium selected" sets are offered
    5. 291 $5 coins were designated as "premium"
    6. 4869 $10 coins were designated as "premium"
    7. The 1913 and 1914 $10 coins are the most abundant in the offering-- 22,763 in all.

The article is excellent, if you have access to it, and answers just about every question that has been posed here.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There was an excellent article in this week's Coin World on the offering. I am not sure if this was already covered in this thread (and I apologize if it has been), but here are the salient points:

2. RCM hired a professional grader to help sort the coins
    3. A total of 30,000 coins were offered for sale, and the rest are to be melted
    4. 140 6 coin "premium selected" sets are offered
    5. 291 $5 coins were designated as "premium"
    6. 4869 $10 coins were designated as "premium"
    7. The 1913 and 1914 $10 coins are the most abundant in the offering-- 22,763 in all.

The article is excellent, if you have access to it, and answers just about every question that has been posed here. >>

I'm no math major, but of 30,000, 22,763 are the '13 and '14 $10's? 7,237 remain of all the other dates/denominations? They made sure the '12 $10 was the 'key' to the $10 by putting out that many '13 and '14's.

edited for spelling error
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There was an excellent article in this week's Coin World on the offering. I am not sure if this was already covered in this thread (and I apologize if it has been), but here are the salient points:

2. RCM hired a professional grader to help sort the coins. >>

>>

And who might the "professional grader" be???
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

And who might the "professional grader" be??? >>

Beats me.
  • Options
    I really do not think the RCM would hire some fly by night grader.
    I am sure they did a good job.
    You either like/buy or don't like/pass on these.
    Purchases should be driven by desire/likes then other "goals".
    JMHO.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    we need to know the breakdown of the 245,000 melted.

that is much more important........
  • Options

<< <i>If that is the case, it really hasn't been a bad move overall since they were first issued, if profitability is the ultimate motive. The same might also be said for these particular Canadian issues, but I suspect that the jury will be out for awhile on these.

I broke my own cardinal rule in ordering some of these, because I think that this year's Gold Spouse issues are going to be the low water point in mintages and my motivation is certainly speculative profit for most coins I buy. Occasionally however, I get caught up in the coolness factor and the century-old Canadian gold fits into that category for me.

It's all gold, and the dollar is going nowhere fast. Take your best shot, it's all good.image >>

The spouses are lovely and the variety is great (yes a few lady's have portraits of their older selves).

These canadians are bullion, but I can see where these are more interesting than the age sets that have been the same for over 25 years.

• Options
    7/8 how is the breakdown of the numbers being melted more important that the amount they are releasing?

These coins were effectively out of the market all this time and the ones being melted will stay out the market now for good so it is a wash. The important part IMO are the ones being added to the market which are the numbers being released.

I think based on what they sold the $5's and the 1912 $10 should do well and the 13 and 14 $10's are too many for the Canada market.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first saw the thread a couple days ago, I thought "big whoop," but here I am with my receipt for a 1913 and 1914 $10 gold canada coin. Doesn't seem like much down side so it was worth a shot.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After looking through the related materials, I pulled the trigger and nailed a 1913 and a 14 $10..
    The web site wasn't accepting my SS number so I ended up on the phone with a Bloke who was extremely kind, efficient and helpful.

I'm of the thought that the 'risk to potential reward' profile in this issueis very good!

Not to mention that it's a image looking coin!!!

Thanks for sharing the info folks!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Anybody buying the premium hand-selected, or is the $1,000 option the better play?
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>7/8 how is the breakdown of the numbers being melted more important that the amount they are releasing? >>

This is important because it gives us the true net mintages of all of the coins - whether or not we will see a new rarity being made (i.e. 1914 $10 - 149K original mintage; what if 130k were melted and we were left with net 19k?)

Obviously, a 1914 $10 in BU with the highest minatges of the $10's - will always be thought of as the most common - as not only will the 10k coins offered here be available....but how many others in the marketplace?

But if we were dealing with a situation where the most common became the most scarce (through documented melting) - there wouldnt be as many possible BU examples therefore it would command a higher value.

Evidence of the 1914 $10 being scarce in BU, or scarcely encountered for that matter, is all over the historic Krause guides. BU values of this coin are higher than that of the scarcer 1912 $10.

Why does this happen? I believe that most of the mintage has been sitting in the BoC all these years and most of the mintage is destined to be melted.

So - I wouldnt count out those apparent common dates just yet........

• Options
    Once we start receiving these - anyone out there want to do some swapping????

I need 1912 and 1913 $5's. PM....

Have all the others......
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

And who might the "professional grader" be??? >>

Beats me. >>

never heard of him!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Evidence of the 1914 $10 being scarce in BU, or scarcely encountered for that matter, is all over the historic Krause guides. BU values of this coin are higher than that of the scarcer 1912 $10.

That was my finding as well.

I can see where these are more interesting than the age sets that have been the same for over 25 years.

I can't see that.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Once we start receiving these - anyone out there want to do some swapping????

I need 1912 and 1913 $5's. PM....

Have all the others...... >>

I think anyone with them is set already.

I hope you propose some horse for donkey trading, otherwise...
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    loaded down on 1914 $5's......

i dont think it will be hard for me to find 1912 and 1913 $5's.......they'll be enough fools flipping them for a few bucks over in a mad rush.
  • Options
    Well, I hope the grader is a top eye. those 6 coin sets need to be premium to be worth anything close to $12k

• Options
    I agree on the premium coins - not worth the chance.
  • Options

<< <i>loaded down on 1914 $5's......

i dont think it will be hard for me to find 1912 and 1913 $5's.......they'll be enough fools flipping them for a few bucks over in a mad rush. >>

Somebody ring. I have to try someway to finance my date with the lovely spouses.
  • Options
    Are you guys nuts?

Calling these $5 and $10 Canadian coins that are a hundred years old a bullion issue?

First off, they are a irregular gold weight - and they were issued as a circulating currency, etc.

That is like saying a GSA morgan is just a bullion coin. "throw it in the bucket with the rest"

Those spouse coins are just a half ounce slug of gold. All they are is junk bullion - as in even people stashing would prefer eagles, etc over that junk.

• Options
    I should clarify, that I don't consider these common bullion. I think they are similar to the three year "w" mint collector bullion coins.

Still a bullion set, with a slight kick.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you guys nuts?

Calling these $5 and $10 Canadian coins that are a hundred years old a bullion issue?

First off, they are a irregular gold weight - and they were issued as a circulating currency, etc.

That is like saying a GSA morgan is just a bullion coin. "throw it in the bucket with the rest"

Those spouse coins are just a half ounce slug of gold. All they are is junk bullion - as in even people stashing would prefer eagles, etc over that junk. >>

hey now.

let me make jokes about the spouses. I collect them. slugs? $10 comemmorative gold they are.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree on the premium coins - not worth the chance. >>

Good lord you guys gamble all the time but now have cold feet................bah
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    Just ordered the 6 coin set for $12,000. What are your thoughts on this sets. How big a gamble is it?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options

I have to pay $31k in real estate taxes in nine days, or I'd order the 6 coin set myself. Instead my money has to go towards paying for county potholes, grrrrr.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about this, but can not find a place in my collection for them.
    If I bought everything that's "cool" out there, I wouldn't be able to afford to buy anything,
    so must have disciplined focus in order not to have a random accumulation rather than a collection.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    A group of coins assembled because they're all "cool" is not really a random accumulation, is it?
  • Options
    Realone I think the 13 and 14 $10's could be DOA but the others should do well. I would not cancel any $5 orders, that's for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file