Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1912 - 1914 Canada $5 & $10 Hoard Being Sold!

Comments

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's strange...when I ordered, the '13 was the only one available. Same site with the mintages added this info, as to why the '14 is the lowest: >>

It seems safe to say that the 1914 $5 at 31,000 mintage will remain the king.....of the $5's.

As for the $10's - the 1912 is the lowest mintage. However, in many of the standard reference guides, the 1914 $10, followed by the 1913 and then the 1912 is the order of value - high to low - for unc coins. Exactly opposite their actual mintages - where 1912 is the lowest, followe by 1913 next lowest and 1914 the most common.

I want to see the revised mintages - I certainly hope the RCM does the job right and edits the mintages for their melting of 200,000+ coins - so we can see where the true rarity lies in the Canadian $10 series after the dust settles.

This means you better have at least one 1913 and 1914 $10's to cover all your bases!! At very little over melt - it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the news and RCM link posted here, I was able to order one $10 1913.
    I am so excited for a chance to hold a piece of history (original - unmessed with) in my hand.

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭
    Ok, can someone knowledgeable in Canadian explain this to me.....

You could buy 5 of the 6 issues at the Premium Hand Selected quality for $6,125. But, the complete six coin set is $12,000? Is the single 1912 $10 in Premium Hand Selected condition worth the extra $5,875?

You could buy a regular Hand Selected 1912 $10 for $1,000. Is a high grade 1912 $10 worth that much more?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    Premium hand selected $10's @ $1,750/ea x2 coins + Premium $5's @ $875/ea x3 = $6,125 + the 1912 $10.

The price on the 1912 by default is $5,875.

See closed Heritage auction prices for 1912 $10 PCGS MS64 - $8k+.....

I dont see the value in the premium hand selected coins - The others are a lot closer to the gold melt price. Lot more room for profit.

• Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone want to venture a guess on what the grade ranges are for hand selected and premium hand selected coins. The photos in this thread ( I am assuming are premiums )sure look like Gems
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Really, what are the chances that they didn't let a dealer or some other organization cherry pick the best and/or get them sent off for grading before this RCM offering? I suspect we'll see a whole bunch of high grade gems coming up for auction over the next couple years.

I can't imagine many if any of those offered to the public will grade MS64 or higher. Especially the lowest mintage 1914 $5 pieces.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, can someone knowledgeable in Canadian explain this to me.....

You could buy 5 of the 6 issues at the Premium Hand Selected quality for $6,125. But, the complete six coin set is $12,000? Is the single 1912 $10 in Premium Hand Selected condition worth the extra $5,875?

You could buy a regular Hand Selected 1912 $10 for $1,000. Is a high grade 1912 $10 worth that much more? >>

Not exactly. The quality of the coins in the 6-piece set is over and above the "premium handpicked" singles, by the verbage on the RCM site:

The coins selected for this 6-coin set were carefully hand-picked and represent the very best in the entire collection.

They took the best 840 coins out of the 245,000 hoard and offered the group for $12,000.

Get 6 of the very best coins out of a quarter million to choose from, for only $12,000? I'll take that deal.

Unfortunately, 140 very fast people beat me to it.
  • Options
    Got the 1913 and 1914 $10. I suspect these too will sell-out very soon. Thanks for the thread, wonder if the mint will provide any special packaging.

In the future a cool thread would be for the buyers that have these TPG to post how they are grading out.
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    An eBay presale is already up for a 1912 $10 hand picked at $1350
  • Options
    It would be a cool thing if our HOST would certify these to the "Bank of Canada Hoard" with a special label - and how about a First Strike if received in a sealed RCM mailing box.......

I know that comment will get alot of responses!!!
  • Options
    The pictures online of "Premium Hand Selected" and "Hand Selected" with the accompanying descriptions lead me to believe.....

That the difference between the two may be:

1) More bagmarks on Hand Selected vs. Premium Hand Selected
    2) Some Toning - probably orange peel or golden hues on the Hand Selected vs. Premium Hand Selected
    3) The Premium Hand Selected look very bright with no evidence of toning, etc.

Even though the premium Hand Selected MAY obtain a better overall grade at the services........keep in mind a similar catagorization effort was done with GSA Dollars by the GSA in the 1970's.

That effort by the GSA - culled out wildly toned coins that eventually graded just as good or better than the so called "uncirculated" coins sold in the CC Hoard.

In this case, just think about looking through a couple hundred thousand coins and pulling out the two categories. I would think ANY gold toning went to the hand selected category without regard to surface abrasions. Thats why I think the hand selected could be the best deal in the lot.

By the way, they REJECTED 215,000 uncirculated coins - due to not being the quality they would sell........all of the coins offered have to be choice to gem.
  • Options
    Canada's quality control is very high. I expect to see very nice coins. Not saying gems but I think they would reject baggy 60's (more likely an AU63 would make it through.)
  • Options
    Only 12.25% of the Hoard - of almost a quarter of a million coins were up to the quality they would offer.

Here are the product pictures of the "Premium Hand Selected" and "Hand Selected" Coins:

Hand Selected:

Premium Hand Selected:

The ONLY Difference is the toning on the Hand Selected examples.

When every coin in the hoard looks like this......expect quality

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I must be going blind as the hand select looks better than the premium in those photos. BTW they say this about the selection process-

As the Royal Canadian Mint does not grade any of its products, the use of the expression "Hand-Selected" and/or "Premium Hand-Selected" as used herein does not imply any form of coin grade, or suggestion thereof, derived from current numismatic grading standards, or other form of grading systems.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I must be going blind as the hand select looks better than the premium in those photos. BTW they say this about the selection process-

As the Royal Canadian Mint does not grade any of its products, the use of the expression "Hand-Selected" and/or "Premium Hand-Selected" as used herein does not imply any form of coin grade, or suggestion thereof, derived from current numismatic grading standards, or other form of grading systems. >>

The disclaimer was a showstopper for me.
  • Options
    Disclaimer could turn out to be a positive. Ever get a coin to grade higher than sellers grade?
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I just got off the phone with a nice woman from the Canadian Mint....their web site stopped working last night in that it will currently not accept valid credit card security codes which is causing the site to not accept more orders.
    The wait was 10 full minutes on the phone but once you get thru you can place an order.
    She said these coins were causing lots of phone call orders and once they soon sell out the phone wait should go away.
    So, don't be surprised if for now at least you cannot order on line!
    Best
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>Only 12.25% of the Hoard - of almost a quarter of a million coins were up to the quality they would offer.

Here are the product pictures of the "Premium Hand Selected" and "Hand Selected" Coins:

Hand Selected:

Premium Hand Selected:

The ONLY Difference is the toning on the Hand Selected examples.

When every coin in the hoard looks like this......expect quality
    image >>

I like the original skin. The mint did existing holders of these coins a favor by not releasing the entire hoard, but rather melting the vast majority of it. Seems to be this also relieves the uncertainty of large releases that would depress prices -- such as the 1903-O Morgan releases that crushed the price. One may argue that the melting of these coins in some way makes them more valuable.
  • Options
    While not hoard coins these coins are readily available everywhere, sight seen and certified. I think the story is interesting but a poor coin value. You can buy USA pre 1933 gold quarter, half and full eagles all MS certified with less than 200 graded for a lot less. .... If gold and rarity is your thing. No returns also scares me. Just saying.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While not hoard coins these coins are readily available everywhere, sight seen and certified. I think the story is interesting but a poor coin value. You can buy USA pre 1933 gold quarter, half and full eagles all MS certified with less than 200 graded for a lot less. .... If gold and rarity is your thing. No returns also scares me. Just saying. >>

You can buy PCGS/NGC certified, classic US half eagles and eagles in MS for a lot less than the $500 and $1,000 per coin the Canadian Mint is asking on these Canadian coins? Really?
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>While not hoard coins these coins are readily available everywhere, sight seen and certified. I think the story is interesting but a poor coin value. You can buy USA pre 1933 gold quarter, half and full eagles all MS certified with less than 200 graded for a lot less. .... If gold and rarity is your thing. No returns also scares me. Just saying. >>

You can buy PCGS/NGC certified, classic US half eagles and eagles in MS for a lot less than the $500 and $1,000 per coin the Canadian Mint is asking on these Canadian coins? Really? >>

Yeah, probably from China.
  • Options
    Never bought a coin from Canada before, anyone know if there is any duty fees?
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>Never bought a coin from Canada before, anyone know if there is any duty fees? >>

I have bought from Canada and Europe but customs clearance went pretty smooth.
    I don't think the US has any duty on gold and silver.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Never bought a coin from Canada before, anyone know if there is any duty fees? >>

According to US Customs There is no duty on gold coins, medals or bullion but these items must be declared to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer. Please note a FinCEN 105 form must be completed at the time of entry for monetary instruments over $10,000. This includes currency, ie. gold coins, valued over $10,000.

The main thing to be aware of is that most credit cards charge a 3% foreign transaction fee, so it's a good idea to see if you have a card that doesn't charge this.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like these. Couldn't help but get the trio $10. I think these will be a hot item for the gold nuts, especially if there is a designation given to the slabs.

Thanks RCM for the neat offerings...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Well, having looked at the meager ebay completed sales offerings for these coins, I'm in the RCM is selling these coins for fair market value minus grading / transaction costs camp.

RCM must have done their homework here, no money left on the table. MHO.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know just how many of the '13 $5's get melted. With a mintage of under 100,000, who knows. But, the asking prices, as far as ebay goes, there's one in MS62, at $1,049, and one raw at $629. The 1912, there's three on the 'bay. As far as the '14 $5's, none (but, perhaps someone has a better way of searching.

So, unless someone has a better search for these.....

The $5's, there's three '12's listed,
    The $10's, one raw '12 listed, starting at $989 (no bidders), no '13's, and one 'raw '14, starting at $989 (no bidders), one '13...NGC MS62, asking $ of $1,049, and no '14's...there is a set listed, 1912-1914, MS62, 62, MS61, listed for $3,300.
    The $20's, no '12's, no '13's, no '14's

No access to populations.

Strange that the graded ones, that I could find, were all graded low MS. I haven't checked HA, but, unless someone knows something I don't (as far as searching Canadian gold coins), high graded coins could fetch some decent premiums, as I only see low MS, or raw. Now, as a disclaimer, though I DO go up there twice a year (and friends come down here 2X a year), I've only actually SPENT Canadian $$, usually on beer, or biere as the Quebecois (sic?) call it, I have NO clue as to Canadian coinage. I didn't intentionally set out to buy one, just wanted to see the design...I saw the design, and got the lowest minted $5 left (I'm still in college....last semester......and would LOVE to buy those $10's, but with limited funds, especially before the holidays (being PC), I'm happy with what I was able to get...a coin with a mintage of under 100,000, who knows how many will be melted, leaving XXXX as a final mintage, as they are melting a passle of coins. Should be interesting....and I'm sure a mintage figure from the RCM would be available quicker, and be more accurate than our mint's final decision (?)

So, I guess I should thank the OP, candy2012mustang, for turning me onto a cool coin, with a small (about to get smaller) mintage, (never considered Canadian $$ unless I was spending it, as I said).......so, thanks! Regardless of what it's detractors say (and you all have the rights to your opinion, no arguing), after looking at the sets of these Canadian $5 and $10's, looks like MS65, and a few MS66's are highest graded, all single digit top pops, and, as I said, it's either a 65 or 66 top grade. Anyone that may happen to get lucky enough to garner a 65 or 66 out of this hoard, looks like it could be a big hit....even an MS64 could be a score. It's weird.....as was mentioned, mintages on the $5 , highest is the '12, then '13, then '14, while the $10's are the exact opposite, with the '14 being highest, '13 middle, '12 being lowest. (never considered Canadian $$ unless I was spending it, as I said).......so, thanks!

This just might get me interested in selecting a Canadian series to start. Been a long time since I opened my first book, learnt me a little sumthin', then went out and bought the coin (still paid the tuition we all do, at first). Anyone with Canadian coin knowledge, please feel free to give me some FREE advice...lol....thanks!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Anyone who is having regrets about buying the $5 denomination of these for $500 -- I will buy them from you for $5 more than you paid. PM me. Obviously first come first served.

Thank You.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken, I hear ya on your reasoning.
    Regrettably, I didn't see this before and was out at my son's games all day (and urgent care for him after someone landed on him and tried to rip his arm out), so all the $5 were gone.
    I did go ahead and Christmas present myself with the 1913 $10 Premium. Not sure if I really want it, but maybe it will turn out good. None of us, in the family, are Canadian, so no real reason to get one since we don't collect any other Canadian (or other foreign coins unless they are 1-offs that we like) coins.

I hope they come with something that can easily show providence as, like the GSA dollars, I think they are cooler with the providence.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Keep hearing no money left on the table, is everyone around here a dealer now. You like them buy them you're a collector. I bet they're not the worst deal you ever got.
  • Options

<< <i>RCM must have done their homework here, no money left on the table. MHO >>

You guys are not looking at these as a genuinely RARE coin. Each issue has a very low mintage, we know that 215,000 are being melted and since these coins resided at the RCM/Bank of Canada and were never issued - expectations are that they will formally revise mintages.

Whenever you can buy a nice bu, never been released hoard coin, that has high metal content and is selling for very little premium over spot, and have the added potential of numismatic value appreciation because of revised mintages being unbelievably low - you have to RUN and purchase.

Dont WALK, RUN.

Dont THINK, just BUY.

This is going to turn out a better deal than ANYTHING the USM has issued in the last year. The funny thing is it slipped under everyones nose almost without being noticed.

• Options

What are you smoking??

How are these NOT hoard coins?? - almost a quarter million unrealeased coins in original uncirculated bags. It may not be a private hoard like the Redfield dollars, however is directly comparable to the GSA hoard.

**PLEASE*** show me where you can get a pre-33 US $5 or $10 gold with 150,000 or LESS mintage for less than the issue prices of these coins!

This is like finding bags of 1920-s Indian $10's, and selling them for $1,000 each in BU.

HOW is this a bad deal? Very small premium over the metal content, rarity to begin with - and 1/3 of the population being offically melted, making the coins even rarer.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>RCM must have done their homework here, no money left on the table. MHO >>

You guys are not looking at these as a genuinely RARE coin. Each issue has a very low mintage, we know that 215,000 are being melted and since these coins resided at the RCM/Bank of Canada and were never issued - expectations are that they will formally revise mintages.

Whenever you can buy a nice bu, never been released hoard coin, that has high metal content and is selling for very little premium over spot, and have the added potential of numismatic value appreciation because of revised mintages being unbelievably low - you have to RUN and purchase.

Dont WALK, RUN.

Dont THINK, just BUY.

This is going to turn out a better deal than ANYTHING the USM has issued in the last year. The funny thing is it slipped under everyones nose almost without being noticed. >>

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    If they grade MS63 or less for premium I imagine many will be disappointed. If the hand select are MS63 or higher then yes it is a great deal.

7/8 The only coin that is more rare than the Lucy Hayes unc is probably the 1914 $5, the rest will be released in higher numbers than that coin.

• Options
    I knew someone would bring up the First Spouse Gold Slugs in the same conversation as these classic rarities.

They are not even in the same realm.

Same as trying to compare our Burnished W ASE's to Black Pack CC Morgans. Maybe 100 years from now someone will notice. Not now.

Im a fan of many modern rarities, but those Spouse Slugs are destined to be the millenium version of the American Arts Medallions. 1/2 oz of gold. Thats it.
  • Options
    Oh, forgot to mention. I loaded up on 1914 $5's and 1912 $10's.

Hope you guys did the same. This type of offering doesnt happen very many times in a lifetime of collecting.

We dont know how many of each will ultimately survive.
  • Options
    They just dumped thousands of hopefully MS coins into the market, that doesn't sound rare to me. Like we saw with the plat unc coins, you have different sizes with the same design it it can hurt the overall values. I think the 1914 $5 is a winner at these prices, and if the rest grade high enough they will be too. But until we see them and get grades I would not yell from the mountaintop quite yet my friend, lol.
  • Options
    Nothing is guaranteed in this world.

But buying 100 year old hoard gold coins, in original bu, then melting over 30% of the original mintage (which was already very low) at about the same premium over spot as some modern cr&p gold.......

doesnt sound like a bad move to me.

Its going to be interesting where the higher mintages end up after melting the 215,000 coins. Is it possible with the outbreak of WW1 that the 1914 $10 (being the highest mintage of the $10's at around 149,000 coins) could have been stored in massive quantities and now will be melted? Could that net mintage end up around the 1914 $5 and create a new rarity?

Time will tell. But lots of opportunity with these coins.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be obvious from my previous posts in this thread, but I am pretty happy with this offer from the Canadian Mint. The downside is the difference in the price of each coin ($500 or $1,000 for the basic versions) vs. the bullion content of each piece (approximately $415 and $830 at today's spot price). This works out to an $85 or $170 premium on around one-quarter or one-half troy ounce gold. The premiums are essentially the same, within a few dollars either way, as the modern $5 commems or First Spouse coins from the US Mint. They don't need to grade out as gems to avoid getting hurt. In my opinion if you put gold aside on a regular basis, if you enjoy the beauty and craftsmanship of these particular pieces or if you like classic era gold in mint state without a stiff premium then these are screaming buys. I expect to salt away a number of these as "bullion" that has the possibility of some type of numismatic interest. Granted, these aren't for everyone; but as long as gold does not tank there is very little downside exposure.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    If I had the money I would buy one of each or more. Really a very cool thing with these coins existing at all. image
  • Options
    They just dumped thousands of hopefully MS coins into the market, that doesn't sound rare to me

Said the same thing about the 1857-S $20 shipwreck hoard. Prices have only gone up.
  • Options
    These will be full MS coins. They were never released to circulation.

How nice they are is the question - but ultimately it doesnt matter when you are essentially paying spot plus a small markup for them.

However, collectors should demand that along with the release, mintages should be revised.

These coins were struck, never released to circulation, but remained in the vaults of the BoC or RCM for 100 years. There are detailed records by date of how many there were - and naturally how many of each to be melted.

Do numismatists a favor, revise your mintages on these - and lets see which of the issues are rare and which may become new rarities.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking to add a touch of bullion this month. Why not this? Seems like fun. One $10 coin for me on the way.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look like really nice lustrous coins. Destined for Teletrade raw coin service?
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to know just how many of the '13 $5's get melted. With a mintage of under 100,000, who knows. But, the asking prices, as far as ebay goes, there's one in MS62, at $1,049, and one raw at $629. The 1912, there's three on the 'bay. As far as the '14 $5's, none (but, perhaps someone has a better way of searching.

So, unless someone has a better search for these.....

The $5's, there's three '12's listed,
    The $10's, one raw '12 listed, starting at $989 (no bidders), no '13's, and one 'raw '14, starting at $989 (no bidders), one '13...NGC MS62, asking $ of $1,049, and no '14's...there is a set listed, 1912-1914, MS62, 62, MS61, listed for $3,300.
    The $20's, no '12's, no '13's, no '14's

No access to populations.

Strange that the graded ones, that I could find, were all graded low MS. I haven't checked HA, but, unless someone knows something I don't (as far as searching Canadian gold coins), high graded coins could fetch some decent premiums, as I only see low MS, or raw. Now, as a disclaimer, though I DO go up there twice a year (and friends come down here 2X a year), I've only actually SPENT Canadian $$, usually on beer, or biere as the Quebecois (sic?) call it, I have NO clue as to Canadian coinage. I didn't intentionally set out to buy one, just wanted to see the design...I saw the design, and got the lowest minted $5 left (I'm still in college....last semester......and would LOVE to buy those $10's, but with limited funds, especially before the holidays (being PC), I'm happy with what I was able to get...a coin with a mintage of under 100,000, who knows how many will be melted, leaving XXXX as a final mintage, as they are melting a passle of coins. Should be interesting....and I'm sure a mintage figure from the RCM would be available quicker, and be more accurate than our mint's final decision (?)

So, I guess I should thank the OP, candy2012mustang, for turning me onto a cool coin, with a small (about to get smaller) mintage, (never considered Canadian $$ unless I was spending it, as I said).......so, thanks! Regardless of what it's detractors say (and you all have the rights to your opinion, no arguing), after looking at the sets of these Canadian $5 and $10's, looks like MS65, and a few MS66's are highest graded, all single digit top pops, and, as I said, it's either a 65 or 66 top grade. Anyone that may happen to get lucky enough to garner a 65 or 66 out of this hoard, looks like it could be a big hit....even an MS64 could be a score. It's weird.....as was mentioned, mintages on the $5 , highest is the '12, then '13, then '14, while the $10's are the exact opposite, with the '14 being highest, '13 middle, '12 being lowest. (never considered Canadian $$ unless I was spending it, as I said).......so, thanks!

This just might get me interested in selecting a Canadian series to start. Been a long time since I opened my first book, learnt me a little sumthin', then went out and bought the coin (still paid the tuition we all do, at first). Anyone with Canadian coin knowledge, please feel free to give me some FREE advice...lol....thanks! >>

Here's some 1914 $5's completed:

link

and current running listings:

link
  • Options
    What no one has mentioned (unless I missed it) is that the mint is limiting the purchases to 3. I like this as it will (or at least should) avoid large distributions to the likes of "Coin Vault".

I was glad the US Mint did this when they released the Ultra High Relief gold coin a few years ago.

I wish I had found this thread before the $5 coins sold out, but at least I am happy to have got in on the $10's.

Best of luck to all regardless of your opinion on this issue.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am in! Sorry I missed the $5's. I am getting some family and friends interested in the $10's. It seems like the risk:reward for these is pretty favorable, unless you think gold is going to take a dive.

BTW, if anyone wants to commit to selling some $5's at a premium, LMK.
  • Options

<< <i>If they grade MS63 or less for premium I imagine many will be disappointed. If the hand select are MS63 or higher then yes it is a great deal.

7/8 The only coin that is more rare than the Lucy Hayes unc is probably the 1914 $5, the rest will be released in higher numbers than that coin. >>

Exactly, I don't thinking people are looking at these through the historical lens correctly. The subject "spouses" are actually older in many cases than these coins and of more historical signifigance. Where would we be without Alice Paul, Martha Washington, etc.

Clearly the spouses have more historical significance taken as a set. These look like a three year bullion set.

• Options
    Wonder which one will be the next sell-out the 1913 or the 1914? I suspect the 1914, just my guess.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file