Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about slabbed gold.

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
At my coin club meeting last night a fellow club member sold me four 1/4 oz AGE's for $1770 which was about melt at the time. Three coins were raw but one was in an old green PCGS slab graded MS68. Is the slabbed coin worth any premium compared to the raw coins?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only if counterfeit AGEs become an issue - the slabbed one is certified authentic and would be more appealing to a buyer. If given a choice on a raw AGE or a slabbed one (prefereably MS69) at the same price, always choose the slabbed one provided it is one of the top three TPGs.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably no premium unless it's an earlier, scarcer date like 1991 or a burnished "W" AGE.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>only if counterfeit AGEs become an issue - the slabbed one is certified authentic and would be more appealing to a buyer. If given a choice on a raw AGE or a slabbed one (prefereably MS69) at the same price, always choose the slabbed one provided it is one of the top three TPGs. >>

Would it be worth an extra $8 [bulk submission] or so to have bullion gold slabbed PCGS genuine, just to eliminate or minimize the possibility that coin was counterfeit?
  • Options
    Would it be worth an extra $8 [bulk submission] or so to have bullion gold slabbed PCGS genuine, just to eliminate or minimize the possibility that coin was counterfeit?

I personally don't feel it necessary at this time, but maybe there will come a point.......I'm just not aware of an authenticity problem with AGEs right now.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would it be worth an extra $8 [bulk submission] or so to have bullion gold slabbed PCGS genuine, just to eliminate or minimize the possibility that coin was counterfeit?

I personally don't feel it necessary at this time, but maybe there will come a point.......I'm just not aware of an authenticity problem with AGEs right now. >>

What about Krugerrands? Assuming that PCGS would be willing to holder 100 of them as genuine.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>only if counterfeit AGEs become an issue - the slabbed one is certified authentic and would be more appealing to a buyer. If given a choice on a raw AGE or a slabbed one (prefereably MS69) at the same price, always choose the slabbed one provided it is one of the top three TPGs. >>

Would it be worth an extra $8 [bulk submission] or so to have bullion gold slabbed PCGS genuine, just to eliminate or minimize the possibility that coin was counterfeit? >>

for the quarter ouncers and above, I think so at that price. I would request anything less than MS69 be labled gem uncirculated. Genuine has that "problem coin" ring to it.

When I buy second hand AGEs I always prefer certified if at the same price. Certification will increase your pool of buyers, especially if authenticity later becomes a problem. The more gold rises the greater the odds that the counterfeiters will show up.

• Options
    It's probably a good time to invest in a somewhat sensitive digital scale as well.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't see too many AGEs in the older green label PCGS holders. It is worth a premium to the right buyer with the green label holder.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything less than a 70 MS for most recent years, is considered bullion, with only a very slight premium over a similar raw coin.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kindof a personal rule to myself on these

Whatever I would pay raw, I would be willing to pay $5 - 10. more for slabbed by P or N, although I hate the fact it's another slab size to store instead something I can put in a snap-tite

AGE 1/4's are a pretty easy sell, but IMO they are an easier sell to another colelctor/stacker when slabbed, and the added 1 to 2% premium is probably worth that

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    I will pay a little more for the slabbed ones. Won't buy raw anything over 1/4 oz. Thats just me though.
  • Options
    another consideration is ebay's $2500 starting price/buy it now limit on the sale of raw coins. This could affect how raw one ounce AGEs get listed when gold hits $2500.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of my AGE's are in the mint issue packaging.....just like to keep them that way. Cheers, RickO