Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The official 2013 Topps Heritage thread

Might as well get it started. These mock-ups were posted over on Beckett. Patterned after 1964 Topps. I've never been a huge fan of the '64 set, but I loves me some Heritage... just not enough to crack any more cases.

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    IM IN!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Here's a question: At what year does Topps Heritage start getting 'weird'? For instance, I can buy-- on some level-- this 1964 design (though speaking personally I think all of these retro cards are kitschy and creepy), as I think most of us can. But can you buy into a 1978 design? A 1988 design? At what point do consumers throw their hands up and say 'Uh-uh. Sorry, but there's nothing about the 19xx design that speaks to the heritage of baseball cards. I think I'll pass."
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Fugly cards
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a question: At what year does Topps Heritage start getting 'weird'? For instance, I can buy-- on some level-- this 1964 design (though speaking personally I think all of these retro cards are kitschy and creepy), as I think most of us can. But can you buy into a 1978 design? A 1988 design? At what point do consumers throw their hands up and say 'Uh-uh. Sorry, but there's nothing about the 19xx design that speaks to the heritage of baseball cards. I think I'll pass." >>

that's a good question, Guy. For me, you nailed it with 1978. If, and I think it's a HUGE if, Heritage sticks around that long, I'll stay interested. The '78 set was the first set I collected as a kid, and there are several sets in the '70s that I would love to see get the Heritage treatment. At the very least I hope the brand sticks around until the '66 set is done - I'd like to see my birth year set get Heritaged.
  • Options

<< <i>Fugly cards >>

I don't know if they're fugly, but they're certainly disconcerting. And the subject choices don't help matters. Consider:

Card 1: Pictures a flame-throwing Japanese guy.
    Card 2: Pictures a sleeved-up narcotics addict (albeit in recovery).
    Card 3: Pictures a stadium that didn't open until the spring of '64.
    Card 4: Pictures a man who didn't debut in the majors until 1976

In other words, it stretches the capacity of the human intellect to imagine that any of these four cards could have been produced in 1964. This kind of desperate lunge at nostalgia isn't necessarily 'wrong', but it does feel crass- kind of luck imposing the image of Ryan Reynolds into Michelangelo's Adam in the Sistine Chapel. Since none of the figures in these cards could have even conceivably existed in 1964, what's the value in producing cards that create such an illusion?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's a question: At what year does Topps Heritage start getting 'weird'? For instance, I can buy-- on some level-- this 1964 design (though speaking personally I think all of these retro cards are kitschy and creepy), as I think most of us can. But can you buy into a 1978 design? A 1988 design? At what point do consumers throw their hands up and say 'Uh-uh. Sorry, but there's nothing about the 19xx design that speaks to the heritage of baseball cards. I think I'll pass." >>

that's a good question, Guy. For me, you nailed it with 1978. If, and I think it's a HUGE if, Heritage sticks around that long, I'll stay interested. The '78 set was the first set I collected as a kid, and there are several sets in the '70s that I would love to see get the Heritage treatment. At the very least I hope the brand sticks around until the '66 set is done - I'd like to see my birth year set get Heritaged. >>

I have to agree, Geordie- 1978 is the threshold. I can deal with a '77 set, but at '78 I draw the veil.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Great point on the Dawson. Up until this card topps has always used either current players or guys who played in the tribute year in the auto sets. Dawson fits into neither. Could they be breaking the mold this year?

W
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

Easily 1972 for me. That set will look really dumb. The best part about it is the way the psychedelic design goes perfectly with the way people/players looked in 1972. It's going to be totally wasted on today's players. They should really end it after 1971.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    As a Hertiage fan I usually look at the first cards and normally I love them.......this year? Not so much. I am just not liking the retro '64 look.

As far as where heritage should stop, I think 77 would be the cut off point for me.
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

that's a good question, Guy. For me, you nailed it with 1978. If, and I think it's a HUGE if, Heritage sticks around that long, I'll stay interested. The '78 set was the first set I collected as a kid, and there are several sets in the '70s that I would love to see get the Heritage treatment. At the very least I hope the brand sticks around until the '66 set is done - I'd like to see my birth year set get Heritaged. >>

I have to agree, Geordie- 1978 is the threshold. I can deal with a '77 set, but at '78 I draw the veil. >>

Guy, I didn't miss your point at all, and to some extent I agree with you. I suppose at some point the retro gimmick has got to get stale, and I'm sure in the minds of some we've long past reached that point. We've been inundated with Heritage (13 years and counting), Allen & Ginter (6 years and counting), Turkey Red (2 years), Topps 206 (2 different incarnations), Topps 205, Topps Archives, Topps Fan Favorites, Gypsy Queen, Goodwin's... I'm sure I'm missing a few. Personally, I think the retro stuff is pretty cool, but not cool enough to waste money buying boxes/cases any more. Not enough return for the dollars spent. I'll let someone else spend that money and buy a Dodgers team set on the open market, 'cause I dig seeing today's players on past card designs. I'm not at all sure if the market will sustain the idea until the 70s sets are done, but I'm hoping so.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of doing a retro card from years past but the photos don't look right. If I were a card company making retro cards I would stop making the cards shinny/metallic looking and go back old skool to the cardboard they used in the 60's. The value of the cards would be greater to the collector and I believe the interest from collectors who don't collect new cards would be involved. I love collecting cards but I can't get excited to buy new products like this.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options

<< <i>If I were a card company making retro cards I would stop making the cards shinny/metallic looking and go back old skool to the cardboard they used in the 60's. >>

have you ever handled a Heritage card?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I agree with 1954. I love the 63 design and was really looking forward to it in this year's Heritage, because in 63 the cards were glossier than ever before, with crystal clear photos. They were gorgeous compared to previous years, almost like high def cards for their time. But that feel really didn't carry over into this year's Heritage because the cardboard stock is different, the cards aren't glossy at all and the photos have that phony blurriness to appear aged. The cool factor of Heritage should be more than just copying the design, but also trying to recreate the feel of those classic designs and what was different each year.

Personally I like the 64 design, but believe it or not for me to collect it would require the card BACKS be similar to 64. That was the first year of the scratch off quizzes, a minor detail but part of what made that set stand out as "new".

Keep in mind I was actually around in 63 and 64 and buying packs of cards from the ice cream truck as it cruised through every summer afternoon, so my interest in the Heritage cards goes back to the days when I was a kid and every new year brought not just new cards but new designs that we either liked or disliked based on the things I mentioned.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Doesn't the archives line redo the 70's and 80's formats for past and present players? This came out ok except for the copyright symbol on the team name in the 71 format
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Have I handled Heritage cards before? >>

Yes I have opened up about six boxes through the years, however I would be cracking the boxes and aggressively making sets of these if I enjoyed their product. Sure is hard to pay $4 a pack on cards that have a $300 value for a complete set. The ONLY reason why these sets are this expensive in comparison to other 2012 products is because they add chase cards in the way of SP cards to bump the value. How about offer a quality product that allows a customer to open five boxes to make a 700 set and not mass produce it where my grand children 35 years from now can still put together a mint set by opening packs? Topps, Fleer and other companies can still make a quality product and remain profitable without mass producing.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I'll probably buy some, or just pick up a set on eBay... as 1964 just doesn't do it for me. In 2014 though, that's a different story... for me, personally, the 1965 set design is by far my favorite post-50's design... for that, I can't wait!

I think 2020 (1971 design) should be about the right cut-off for the heritage line. A 20 year run on that product line would be pretty good both for the company and collectors. Finish off that product on a sweet black bordered design... and let's be honest, who really wants a 21st year of Topps Heritage that has to put the 1972 design into play(IMO, one of the worst designs ever). After that, the designs getting pretty bland (a few exceptions of course) and it really starts toeing the line with the retro bleeding into the mindset of "too modern"... albeit, at any point in time, the new Heritage would be a design retro to the tune of 50 years!
  • Options
    Mick65Mick65 Posts: 722 ✭✭✭
    Funny...I think I would go to 1983, the last year I collected as a kid.

I like the sixties and seventies.

I look at Heritage as the current year design because I haven't liked the new cards for quite some time.

I don't care for the stock quality, not a big fan of any of the gimmericks, the foil, or the chrome.

I like the Archives concept which captures four years in one set, but hate the ultra thin gloosy card stock. Never would confuse the reprint for the original.

I like that they may be expanding the star selection, probably to try to spark the fading interest.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If I were a card company making retro cards I would stop making the cards shinny/metallic looking and go back old skool to the cardboard they used in the 60's. >>

have you ever handled a Heritage card? >>

I don't think he has, because clearly he misses the entire concept of Heritage. Just, wow.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Have I handled Heritage cards before? >>

How about offer a quality product that allows a customer to open five boxes to make a 700 set and not mass produce it where my grand children 35 years from now can still put together a mint set by opening packs? Topps, Fleer and other companies can still make a quality product and remain profitable without mass producing. >>

Huh? I've never been able to put together an entire 700-card set of Heritage with only five boxes. And, kids 35 years from now would not be able to put together a set by opening packs. Your logic is oddly reversed.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I will purchase a package of this product
  • Options

<< <i>I don't the stock quality, not a big fan of any of the gimmericks, the foil, or the chrome. >>

One thing that has been oddly inconsistent and disconcerting with Heritage since '09 is the photo quality. Go back to the sets from 2003 through 2008, and those had vibrant, beautiful photos. Beginning with '09, for some reason, Topps began washing-out the photos. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I think the problem was less noticeable this year.
  • Options
    2017 and 2018 is going to be a pretty painful stretch for Heritage collectors. The '68 Topps set design is atrocious, and '69 is not a whole lot better.

I am in complete agreement with those who think '71 would be a great place to end it. Best set design of the '60's-'70s era, to cap a 20-year run.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    In other words, it stretches the capacity of the human intellect to imagine that any of these four cards could have been produced in 1964. This kind of desperate lunge at nostalgia isn't necessarily 'wrong', but it does feel crass- kind of luck imposing the image of Ryan Reynolds into Michelangelo's Adam in the Sistine Chapel. Since none of the figures in these cards could have even conceivably existed in 1964, what's the value in producing cards that create such an illusion?

At least you're not overthinking it.
  • Options
    more pics and info from Craig Parker's blog

Topps Giants

Clubhouse Collection & the 3rd year of the coin subset
    imageimage

A new "Esteemed Heritage" high-end subset

There is speculation that there won't be any more red ink autos, and that blue ink will be limited to 64 pieces
    imageimage

Triple autos, dual relic autos and Flashback autos
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to confess - not lovin the cards.
    Mike
  • Options
    Why do the relics have such small pictures and swatches?

Those have to be the worst clubhouse collection cards to date, there is so much extra unused space on the card (?)

Yeah...for high end subsets...need more 1 of 1s, that always makes me want to buy a ton more, but I usually just end up with 15 Shea Stadium cards instead.

For the money invested, those 15 should equal the Ernie Banks knob in value, right

Every subset takes the place of an SP, which is why I end up 4-5 cards short of the complete set.....
  • Options
    Errors from the 1964 Topps set:
    125 Rose UER - Born in 1942.
    279 Koppe UER - Glove on wrong hand.
    440 Clemente UER - 1960 Pittsburfh
    517 Checklist 7 - Incorrect numbering sequence on back.
    523 Burdette UER - Pitching lefty.
    532 Bloomfield UER - Photo actually Jay Ward.
    561 Bennett UER - 19... is 18.

I believe these are all errors from 1964. If I missed any, please feel free to add.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Not happy about the minis I dont recall minis in the 64 set.... But love the 64 design.
  • Options
    I do not think there were minis in 1964. I believe Topps is just putting minis in Heritage since the minis do so well for A&G.
  • Options
    topps already issued a remake of the 1964 giant size in the 2011 lineage product, perhaps different players in heritage, you never know with topps.
  • Options

Numbered Chrome parallels return, as do Black Bordered Chrome cards (#/64). New to the set are Gold Bordered Chrome parallels. Numbered to 5, they are hobby exclusives.

Limited Mini parallels make their brand debut in 2013 Topps Heritage Baseball. Also new to the set are Venezuelan parallels where card backs change from orange to black.

I guess they are trying to spice it up a bit..........
  • Options

A pair of framed buybacks further the look back on 1964. Collectors can find original 1964 Topps Tattoos and 1964 Bazooka Stamps. There is also a redemption for a complete 1964 Topps Baseball set.

That complete 1964 set is going to look great next to all of my cut signatures from past years.................

Hope the presell price isn't too high, $600/case would be a good price point, but it will probably be closer to $700.

Five months to build the hype.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    I am actually excited for Heritage next year. I had a lot of fun with this years. I think I may go for a case myself next year if I can save up for it. I believe I ripped about 6 boxes this year.
  • Options
    hard to believe but Mays's sig is even MORE indiscernible
  • Options

<< <i>hard to believe but Mays's sig is even MORE indiscernible >>

I think pretty much 75% of the card auto's are done by friends, or family, or Willie's tweaker never explained for son who needed a job. To this day, if not in person, 50/50, even with PSA/DNA, 50/50 on any auto. 'J CRew Tour', for a Willie auto, was definitely done by some rapper punk who is giggling at all us now.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Time will tell i guess. But at this point it isn't looking like i will buy much of it.
  • Options

Any news on Heritage 2013. I see the presell listings are out. They may have been for a while.

Does it pay to jump in now or wait this year?

• Options

Here is a quick list of some of the new stuff......

New to the set are Gold Bordered Chrome parallels. Numbered to 5, they are hobby exclusives.

Limited Mini parallels make their brand debut in 2013 Topps Heritage Baseball.

Also new to the set are Venezuelan parallels where card backs change from orange to black.

Clubhouse Collection relic cards return. Premium versions include Gold parallels (#/99),

High-end relics can be found in Esteemed Heritage Book Cards. Each is a one-of-one and comes with either a patch, bat knob or bat plate.

I think someone here was writing about rarer chrome cards.

So, a lot more extra stuff, more high end stuff and better auto odds....makes me wonder what each box will yield.

Do all the extras come at the expense of the set SP or will they replace a common?....guess we'll find out next season.

• Options
    Look for case prices to start around $725... Topps has raised the cost you can buy direct, so expect higher prices in 2013.

I have to today to lock in my cases for the Release Pre Order from my wholesaler

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    What's the buzz.... Heritage has remained quiet this year. I'm on the fence of pre-ordering or waiting until summer.
  • Options
    tillertiller Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Anybody know a release date yet.
  • Options
    E-bay sellers are saying the expected release date is March 6.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    I confirmed from my guy at topps that Musial signed a heritage card before he died, it will be his last on card autograph.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>more pics and info from Craig Parker's blog

Topps Giants

Clubhouse Collection & the 3rd year of the coin subset
    imageimage

Triple autos, dual relic autos and Flashback autos
    imageimageimage >>

Jeter sure does look like a fatass these days. Look at those cheeks and turkey neck.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Can't wait! It seems that this year will be closer to 2002-2003 with the quality of seeded cards and quantity. Should be a great break!
  • Options
    Thanks Geordie for the link to my blog! I'm ready for 2013 Topps Heritage which releases March 6th. Only 26 days away! For more information about 2013 Topps Heritage including a picture of a sheet of the chrome refractors, check out this:

My Baseball Card Blog

I'm not able to post pictures at the moment on these boards since I'm on my cellphone so feel free to post pictures from my blog on this forum for others to see. :0)

Thanks!

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    Great Blog...

Does anyone have the complete checklist, (in Excel would be helpful)? I wasn't sure if it was out yet.

• Options

Saw a Pre-sell case on E-Bay for $690, that seems like the lowest I have seen. Just below was a 2012 case for $590.

On the topic of the Chrome...do you think Topps is going to make them harder to get because of all the other inserts they are putting in?

• Options
    Thanks for checking out my blog! For those who haven't pre-bought their Heritage, you might want to go ahead and do so. Blowout and Atlanta Sportscards had cases at $724 and change for months. Blowout just raised their price to $749. Probably only a matter of time before Atlanta does the same. I personally stay away from case buying on Ebay because I was burned a few years ago although Paypal protected me.

Craig from Texas
  • Options
    Opened a box of 2013 Topps Heritage today and pulled this:

Just kidding guys! This card image was released by Topps.

But I am looking forward to pulling one like this!

Craig from Texas