Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the lowest grade coin you own and what is the highest you would dare own?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've owned (still do) PO1 coins and have owned (sold) MS70 coins.

My favorites are the PO1 as I don't have to worry about them downgrading in the holder like I did the silver MS70s (especially so with PR70 DCAM Kennedy half dollars- they spot too easily!).

I know many here despise ultra low grade coins and have a distain for those who collect them. I've learned to live with their rolling of the eyes.
What is the lowest grade you're comfortable collecting and at what grade level do you become a bit nervous?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've owned (still do) PO1 coins and have owned (sold) MS70 coins. >>

both and everything in-between are fine with me, plus, star, minus, sticker etc

the closer we get to both ends of the spectrum, the more discerning i become about accuracy, or at least what "I" determine to be accurate image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My lowest grade is a Fine-12 01-s quarter, and f-15 74-cc dime

Highest grade is a 64rd 1914-d lincoln , 64 FB 1916-d Merc

Most fall in mid circ grades

64 is about the highest grade I will probably own that I would keep , as I only keep keys and most are unaffordable to me in 65 or higher.

Oh I take that back, I own one modern coin a PF-69 1995-W eagle .
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Lowest grade I could stand to own would be a G and it would have to be a very tough and expensive coin for me to even think of going that low.

Highest grade-the sky's the limit (or 70)
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to do a trade dollar set in PO-1

I do own MS68 trade dollars and if a true MS69 came along, I'd buy it.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    I have a f12 DB half and have a PR65 1872 shield nickel, but I have had higher and lower before though.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowest and I like it a lot image

1837 T.D. Seaman, Belleville NJ, HT-204B / Low-155, R-5

(Major scuffs and haze on the slab)
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one PO1 1795 large cent and a MS 66 buffalo.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few AG-03 coins and own a MS-68 Russian ruble, all of which are common. Since I collect Roosies and Washingtons (among other series) I can dare to own a few higher grades. I have 2 nice 67 roosies currently, and a few 66 Washingtons.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bullion aside were I have grades from AG or less to graded MS69;

For coins I collect somewhere around VF to Choice VF is the lowwest level of detail that seems to work for me (although for specific rarities I might go lowwer, but have not yet), and MS-65/66 is the most I probably understand well. I own some VF's and some 66's, and the bell curve gets really high at the AU55 to MS63 levels.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowest: 1842 $2.50 F12 (hard to find in any condition)

Highest: 1903 $2.50 MS66 (common date)

The leap up to MS67 for any $2.50 gets a bit pricey.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    In my reference collection of United States half dimes, despite my goal of acquiring all die marriages in AU-58 grade, I actually do have a few G-4 examples, purchased for their die state, and I have one Liberty Seated half dime that PCGS graded MS-65+, although I do not agree with that grade (I believe it to be MS-64). No worry, though. I will crack it out soon. image
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here are my lowest and my highest. Since I don't buy coins already graded and don't do
    moderns it's probably going to stay the same forever!
    bobimage
    imageimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This probably doesn't count, because the date can't be ID'd. But it's a pretty low grade.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 7 different PO01 Classic Commems. My highest graded coin is a MS63 Arkansas. I thought that it would be a low AU with the wear on the eagles breast feathers. I can't believe that I would be that far off. People want high grades and are disapointed with low grades. I would low and get high.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't own anything below VF/XF and those are raw. I own nothing certified below MS 62. As far as how HIGH I would GO? It all depends upon the issue. For strike raritities, key dates--I'd not go above 64 or 65 and for the more esoteric stuff---67 is certainly my limit!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have 7 different PO01 Classic Commems. My highest graded coin is a MS63 Arkansas. I thought that it would be a low AU with the wear on the eagles breast feathers. I can't believe that I would be that far off. People want high grades and are disapointed with low grades. I would low and get high. >>

And for anyone who doesn't appreciate that challenge... I spent 13 years looking for these problem free ultra low grade Commemoratives and was fortunate to locate a dozen or so.
    They're scarcer then hen's teeth.

The various designs truly hold up well too even with a ton of wear.

peacockcoins

• Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    The lowest is a G-6 1804 Large Cent 266a (my only G).
    The highest are PF66 proof sets - 1937, 39 and 40.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1921-D VG8 Walker
    1998-S MS70 Kennedy and others tied at this level.

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

Lowest is an AG-03

Highest is an MS-68

I own many PR-69DC , but I don't count them.

I am not interested in PR-70's.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the low end, graded is G4. Raw is probably FR2.
    I don't want less as I want to be able to see pretty much the full design of the coin. Otherwise, it is just a metallic disc with almost no design.....not my cup o' tea.
    I own 70s, for moderns. No biggie there either....some are NCLTs that I slabbed myself and some are for my son's birthyear set in the registry. I don't pay a ton for those, but if the price is low enough, then I go ahead and get them.

I feel the same way about collectors doing sets in PO1 as I do for those doing sets in MS/PR70 image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F15 / MS 67
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lowest grade slabbed coin I own is a 1796 half dollar in Fine-15. For the high I end I have a couple of modern pieces in PR-70 DCam.

The worst piece in my whole collection is a raw token made of iron salvaged from the CSS Virginia (a.k.a. "Merrimac"). It is rusted and probably grades slightly less than Poor-1 using the EAC standard.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stacks graded this piece VG8. A very poorly made coin in many respects, but catch the light right and really study it...there's a lot of detail. An absolute rarity with roughly 30 known, I'm very happy with it.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I have coins ranging from VF20:

To MS 68:

Personally VF is about as low as I would go in a coin. Anything less and ther just aren't enough details to be meaningful. As for collecting PO1 coins, if it makes people happy to spend money on them then I'm happy they have the money to waste.
  • Options
    I have about 20 PO-01 Morgans from the HawkeEye and Sourdough lowball sets.

My highest Morgan is MS66 CAC

I have some PR70 quarters and ASEs, but I dont count them.
    Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not counting proofs or modern carp...

1793 Chain cent, FR2.
    1943-D Lincoln, MS68.

The chain cent is worth a little more.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Great coin Bob!

Nice looking PO-01!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... I would low and get high. >>

With a little help from your friends?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an 1878 7TF VAM 115 $1 (my attribution) in FR2 and a few ASEs in 69. Highest non-modern I have is 67. I'm not compelled to pony up for anything in a 70 holder, and were I to get 70s on modern submissions, I'd be a seller.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In certified coins lowest is VF20 and highest is MS70.

I did see a guy set up at a show who had the "poorman's grading set" of common date Barber Halves from PO-01 to G-06 as sort of joke. There were a lot of people looking at it as it drew a lot of attention and one fellow bought it, possibly as a conversation piece. The FR-02 had nice toning - gold sticker?
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lowest certified is a G04 1921 Walker Half. Highest is an MS70 modern. It ALL depends on the series.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have at least a dozen really low-grade coins but can't afford to slab them. And even if I had the money, I'd probably spend it grading some of my proofs.

My highest grades are 70s. I have an SP, PR and MS. But most of my high-grade slabs are PR69DCAM (personal preference is proofs over business strike or satin).

I also have a few PL69'ers, mostly Franklin Mint artifacts of the 1970s.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Fairs and About goods tend to be over 200 years old, and the Unc and Proof 70s were minted in the past few years, with all the grades and ages in between

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Bossman88Bossman88 Posts: 638 ✭✭
    My lowest and highest grades are whatever PCGS places on the certificate when they return my coins.

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    My lowest graded coin is an 1849 Seated Half Dollar in G 4. It has the countermark "Collins & Co Hartford Conn", the countermark being the reason I bought the coin.

On the other end, I have a number of foreign gold pieces in PCGS PR69 DC. My highest grade US is MS 67 in the Classic Commemorative Series. Guess this means MS 67 is the highest grade I care to own in US collector coins.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a couple PO1 capped bust half dimes. In my registry set, I have one "genuine" coin that equates to PO1, this one:

highest grade capped bust half dime I would own from here on in is MS66. I have more than one, but this is my favorite:

• Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    The lowest grade I feel comfortable owning is a Fine 15, of which is an 1807 draped bust half, and the highest graded coin is a MS 63 and is a baby bust half dime, both coins graded by our hosts. I probably wouldn't go lower than a Fine 12 unless it's a key date of something in my series, but collecting wise I'm all over the place but trying to build a type set of sorts. P.S. Barndog, that is a beautiful 1830 half dime.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For certified double dimes ...

Lowest grade is PO-1 (1875-S and 1876-P)
    Highest absolute grade is PF-64 (1875) [Highest MS grade is MS-62]

Highest grade I dare own? I have no real interest in picking up high-end double dimes as it doesn't add to die variety knowledge as well as many circulated pieces for the same total price.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Lowest is a raw 1794 cent, highest is the only
    modern I have, an MS-69 USMC commemorative
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've owned about 20 Poor-01 coins and still have 2. I own several modern things in PR69DCAM. I doubt I'd ever pay for a 70.
    When in doubt, don't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file