Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ALTs

Comments

• Options
    themasterthemaster Posts: 676 ✭✭✭
    I have but one account. However, I can't vouch for my many clones. We are not on speaking terms. I guess we don't get along because we are too much alike.image

Have a Great Day!
    Louis Sr.
    "If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    It took me reading about the first 10 posts in this to realize what ALT even meant!
    Some may be on the information superhighway.
    I am on the information cul de sac!
    Best.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I almost had my wife register to take a guess on the high relief but decided that it would be the sane as creating an ALT. So I did not do it.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we report an ALT do we win an MS65 St. Gaudens??? image

I wouldn't be able to tell a new member vs. an alt anyways, it would see that PCGS would have more information and tools regarding that matter.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I almost had my wife register to take a guess on the high relief but decided that it would be the sane as creating an ALT. So I did not do it. >>

I know a husband and wife with separate accounts, but they both post and I think it is partially to keep the husband in line.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess that was a little too geeky for some. image

Russ, NCNE >>

For thenon-geeks, if you press the CTRL - ALT - DEL keys simultaneously, it used to reboot the computer, but now brings up a menu you need when you are in trouble.

(Good one Russ!)

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have one id. Never understood the need for an alt. >>

" YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I think it's funny that the people being banned talk over in the land of misfit toys about how it is the forum that is worse without them. One of the more annoying former members is convinced he was very well liked and the powers to be are missing out even though most of us never heard anything nice about him and the ones who did say something nice targeted only like a couple of high dollar coins and not him. This form of denial is systematic of the avg alt having member IMO
  • Options

<< <i>I for one wouldn't mind having to give you my credit card info in order to be more sure of my identity perhaps with a one time fee that is nominal.
    This may help but others may resist. >>

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not all Alts are bad Alts.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum host is the only one in a position to confirm an ID is an ALT. Anyone else is only guessing.

Not all ALTs are bad - I suspect some here just like to publicly disagree with themselves.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess that was a little too geeky for some. image

Russ, NCNE >>

For thenon-geeks, if you press the CTRL - ALT - DEL keys simultaneously, it used to reboot the computer, but now brings up a menu you need when you are in trouble.

(Good one Russ!) >>

Also known in geekdom as the "three fingered salute"
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend not to get to worked up about things I can not control. Especially as unimportant as this. On a scale of 1 to 100 I care zero. I just can't believe people go through the trouble to be part of something that they are no longer welcomed in. It's kind of sad. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I support the expulsion of the ALT accounts as I do believe they are the trouble makers.

For the record, my entire time on these boards I have never had an ALT, as I have also been doubleeagle59.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    So the other one is lowercase?
  • Options
    ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭

<< <i>Should we also report suspected CTRLs and DELs?

Russ, NCNE >>

That was brilliant image I was truly laughing my my arse off and the wife was wondering what could be so funny AND be clean imageimage
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    >Anybody that's on the internet has an ISP proveded email by default,theres no excuse or valid reason not to use it.

Um, prove I have one...and screw you. Who are you to tell me which email address I prefer to use. :-P

-Keith
  • Options
    Maybe a contest to see who can point out the most ALTs will be the next big thing. image
  • Options

<< <i>>Anybody that's on the internet has an ISP proveded email by default,theres no excuse or valid reason not to use it.

Um, prove I have one...and screw you. Who are you to tell me which email address I prefer to use. :-P

-Keith >>

It doesnt matter what you prefer "keith" , the people who run this site created a post for thoughts. I dont haveto prove you have an ISP provided email account , you , I , and the rest of the world know you do , we all do. What are you so afraid of that you choose profanities to reply ?
  • Options
    There's only one me. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's only one me. image >>

Me too! If there were two of me my wife would have a fit! She has a hard enough time with just me.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell ya what... if any of my ex girlfriends show up, I'm outta here.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even have enough time to post most my thoughts or coins under my one and only forum name.

I don't have time to play games.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't even have enough time to post most my thoughts or coins under my one and only forum name.

I don't have time to play games. >>

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't even have enough time to post most my thoughts or coins under my one and only forum name.

I don't have time to play games. >>

Me, too.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was made the admin on a USN web site at the beginning of the year , the first change made was only ISP provided email addresses are accepted , no freebie email accounts like hotmail or yahoo...theres where it's nipped in the bud.Anybody that's on the internet has an ISP proveded email by default,theres no excuse or valid reason not to use it. >>

An ISP is not required to get online as there are public/wireless solutions. Also, what happens when someone moves and forgets to update? They lose access if they need to be contacted (password reset, etc) and no longer have that access.

Same w/ requiring someone to have a credit card or even require membership.....if someone lets their membership lapse, then you boot them?
    Come on guys....pcgs isn't asking for restrictive and draconian measures....just to knock off the alts.
    Like many posting here, I have only ever had this one handle here, and use the same, and only, I'd on the NGC boards. I own up to what I post or bite my tongue and don't post.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hire a Chief Alt Finding Officer (CAFO) and sign them to an employment contract where they work for a dollar like Jobs did.
    (in other words: find a way to hire someone who cares deeply about the position that they will work for $1)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    CAFO? Is that gonna be a dollar a day or a dollar an hour? I'll do it for a submission coupons, BTW I'm michiganboy here and ATS have only one id in both places, I only use my free yahoo email account but have the ISP account ( haven't checked it in years) . I am also a member of collectors club and have credit cards. I hope to continue using these boards as I find a lot of good here.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Limit posting rights to only those that are collectors club members. All others can view only. >>

image Silver level member ship is $49.00 per year that equates to 13.42¢ per day use rate.

Edit to add you are not technically a PCGS customer by buying a PCGS slab, PCGS customers pay PCGS to slab those coins.

image >>

If I buy a new Ford from a car dealership, am I not a customer of both Ford and the car dealer? >>

Yep. definitely a customer of both.

For that matter, folks can have registry sets but NOT have an id on these forums or even a Collectors Club Membership. The Registry is free and those participants who own PCGS Graded Coins and display their sets are indeed customers of PCGS.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>for the folks without a credit card,
    perhaps you have a debit card which will accomplish the same thing,

for those with no debit card,
    perhaps mailing a check to PCGS imprinted with your name and address would work

for those with no debit card
    perhaps you can take a copy of your drivers license and white out the non pertinent areas

for those who don't drive, perhaps your library card

for those living completely off the grid
    perhaps send a copy of a utility bill
    or any bill
    or anything to identify yourself

This will never completely eliminate alts but it will reduce them IMO >>

Wow!! You sure are creating a lot of work for PCGS. In any event, I doubt they want to be responsible to hold everyones personal information. >>

No kidding! Not to mention that fact that credit and debit cards expire. What then?

What's the current total membership anyway? 35,000?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe a contest to see who can point out the most ALTs will be the next big thing. image >>

Folks, 19Lyds IS my alt as in Internet Forum alter ego. Otherwise I'd just use my real name.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I own up to what I post or bite my tongue and don't post. >>

I've been known, on occasion, to actually bite off my tongue when I post! image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    Hm. Seems I missed something lately.
    This post is about the give away guess the hammer price thread?
    I guess so.

Well time to go back outside and away from the computer. Later!
  • Options
    JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036

<< <i>

<< <i>I was made the admin on a USN web site at the beginning of the year , the first change made was only ISP provided email addresses are accepted , no freebie email accounts like hotmail or yahoo...theres where it's nipped in the bud.Anybody that's on the internet has an ISP proveded email by default,theres no excuse or valid reason not to use it. >>

An ISP is not required to get online as there are public/wireless solutions. Also, what happens when someone moves and forgets to update? They lose access if they need to be contacted (password reset, etc) and no longer have that access.

Same w/ requiring someone to have a credit card or even require membership.....if someone lets their membership lapse, then you boot them?
    Come on guys....pcgs isn't asking for restrictive and draconian measures....just to knock off the alts.
    Like many posting here, I have only ever had this one handle here, and use the same, and only, I'd on the NGC boards. I own up to what I post or bite my tongue and don't post. >>

So now we are to accept a great number of us use the computers at the library ?, It's not likely. Asking anonymous strangers to "knock it off" won't work.Ive had a dubious member in the past accuse me outright of being an alt right there on the US coin forum, claimed it could be proved.So yeah...i do have a dog in this race.Whatever PCGS decides is best i'm all for it.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    one id is good enough here. more then one go to ebay
  • Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    that "alt" key is shifty in my book. (look close...there is an "F" in my descriptor...not 2 "T's"
  • Options
    I am an "alt".....

but my other life has been put to rest..

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Like many posting here, I have only ever had this one handle here, and use the same, and only, I'd on the NGC boards. I own up to what I post or bite my tongue and don't post. >>

So now we are to accept a great number of us use the computers at the library ?, It's not likely. Asking anonymous strangers to "knock it off" won't work.Ive had a dubious member in the past accuse me outright of being an alt right there on the US coin forum, claimed it could be proved.So yeah...i do have a dog in this race.Whatever PCGS decides is best i'm all for it. >>

And see, there's the rub....it bothers you because someone accused you of being an alt. You aren't, so I can understand it bothering you. However, since I know I am not an alt, I don't care if any dubious members think I am or not. I think a few, now banned due to their overwhelmingly bad board behavious, have accused me of being an alt. Water off a duck's back as I know what I am, and am not, other members I have met know that as well, and I believe PCGS knows that. So what other "dubious" members think, doesn't bother me.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had created an ALT, why didn't I ever agree with myself? image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't say everybody has an isp email address and most people don't use them if they did have one. Why would I tie my email to a service I pay for and may change, then I have to go through the hassle of changing it when I move or change service. Also what about AOL customers, their address is both free and for their paid customers. Lastly my isp allows up to 10 email addresses per account, making them no different than a supposedly bad "freebie" email account.
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    Another thought, the rules said one entry per person and required no upfront verification so there is really no way to know if it was a so called "alt," PCGS chose to run the contest this way, this has to be expected on the internet. A home with 4 people in it could all have entered from the same ip address. Also just because it was a one post member doesn't mean it was a cheater, these kind of contests get posted on sweepstakes forums which would explain the high numbers of new posters, it was a great prize after all.

If this was such a concern, PCGS should have created a traditional entry form requiring an address or at least a phone number and made it one per household. Then send the waivers and prize to the provided address or verify via the provided phone number.
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    >Lastly my isp allows up to 10 email addresses per account, making them no different than a supposedly bad "freebie" email account.
    I meant to post this same thing after my last tirade. My cheap ISP only allows 5 email addresses but that is more than enough for Alts.

>If I had created an ALT, why didn't I ever agree with myself?
    Yes, I agree with LeotheLyon. ;-)
  • Options
    Let's just have a consolation prize for the "Regular" who was closest in one.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my one and only ID here. For a site like this you don't need more than one and there's really no good argument to the contrary imo.
    I do agree that some of the recent rash of 1-post IDs here are no doubt alts made to add guesses to the contest. Never discount the power of greed, I suppose.

As far as requiring club membership to post here... on one level, it's not a bad idea...but I am a bit torn. It galls me a little that collectors are basically being forced to spend money (Membership) for the privilege of spending more money with them (submissions) in the first place; that's kinda been a peeve of mine for a while now. It's not like, say, admission at a coin show, where you're helping the promoter pay for the venue; it's more analagous to, say, an individual dealer at the show charging you a fee before you can buy from him. And although there are member dealers through whom collectors can submit, some people frankly don't want extra parties involved in their personal dealings- and I can respect that.

I've always thought that if they are going to charge, they should add an inexpensive, bare-bones "basic" membership tier, perhaps $10-$15 per year. It could consist of submission privileges and forum posting privileges only... no bonuses like pop reports, etc., which would require a membership upgrade to one of the currently available tiers. It would be good for those wanting to get their feet wet, who want to submit but are on a tighter budget, etc., and it would still have have the desired effect of shaking out forum freeloaders who just come to stir the pot- they undoubtedly wouldn't want to pay to do so. If they do, well- they'll eventually be easy enough to spot and can be duly booted. People who come here to post only...if they like the boards enough it should certainly be worth a buck a month to them, especially if it meant a reduced amount of trolls and flamers. And no alts.

On eBay however, there are several valid reasons for not using your primary ID to post on boards there. This handle is my "posting ID" for the boards on eBay; our main selling ID is different. Why? Simple. When you get on a forum like that one (or any forum really) you undoubtedly will eventually rub someone the wrong way. The difference with eBay is that there are many people over there who will gladly mess with your auction/business out of spite because they didn't like something you posted, don't like your politics, your opinion on the grade of their item, the color of your socks... Also, some users are also actively trying to combat numismatic fraud over there, making us more high profile targets... thus, a posting ID is a smart idea. All that said, even over there you only need a primary ID and a posting ID at most. Multiple alts make no sense except to those who want to make trouble.

JMHO

(edited for typo)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100!

peacockcoins

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only if you send the last 4 digits of your SSimage
  • Options

<< <i>For me, I am 1 and done. I don't need - or get, for that matter - 2 ids. >>

I have two because I can't remember the password for my first one and the customer service for the forums couldn't provide me any information to aid in the retrieval of the first account.
  • Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I tend not to get to worked up about things I can not control. Especially as unimportant as this. On a scale of 1 to 100 I care zero. I just can't believe people go through the trouble to be part of something that they are no longer welcomed in. It's kind of sad. MJ >>

BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file