Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ALTs

Recent threads have brought the ALTs out in force. PCGS hasn't got the time to monitor every single poster and thread and we need your help.

If you know, or suspect, someone to be an ALT please PM me or another monitor.

There are some emotionally crippled people who like to brag about their ALTs on other forums. To them this is a game.

There is a reason these people are ALTs and not regular members. They are the ones who ruin these boards and jeopardize their continued existence.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I have one id. Never understood the need for an alt.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one wouldn't mind having to give you my credit card info in order to be more sure of my identity perhaps with a one time fee that is nominal.
    This may help but others may resist.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have one id. Never understood the need for an alt. >>

That's so you can stuff that you wouldn't dare say under using your real moniker.
  • Options
    I was made the admin on a USN web site at the beginning of the year , the first change made was only ISP provided email addresses are accepted , no freebie email accounts like hotmail or yahoo...theres where it's nipped in the bud.Anybody that's on the internet has an ISP proveded email by default,theres no excuse or valid reason not to use it.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about require a credit card to verify identiy?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>How about require a credit card to verify identiy? >>

Most people have more than one credit card so this wouldn't work.

• Options
    For me, I am 1 and done. I don't need - or get, for that matter - 2 ids.
  • Options

<< <i>

Most people have more than one credit card so this wouldn't work. >>

Also , some have no credit cards , ive never had one in my life and don't intend to at this point , theres YN's to consider who won't have one as well. Im sure i'm not the only member that does not use credit.We all have one thing though , the ISP provided email account.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Most people have more than one credit card so this wouldn't work. >>

In more than one name? image
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limit posting rights to only those that are collectors club members. All others can view only.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry. There are more efficient methods of validating accounts such as was suggested by JamesMurray BEFORE intruding on a potential posters financial status.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's so you can stuff that you wouldn't dare say under using your real moniker. >>

You mean cowards. I've never been afraid of being politically incorrect, so I don't get it.
  • Options

<< <i>Limit posting rights to only those that are collectors club members. All others can view only. >>

I am not a collectors club member but I'm a PCGS customer since I buy PCGS slabbed coins. Why do you want to eliminate me from this forum?

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never saw any use in making a ALT, and anyways Alts give themselfs away sometime down the road no matter how good they think they are

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    While I respect the numerous valid reasons others might put forward regarding the need for anonymity online, I'm a firm believer that the internet is a public space. As such, public manners should be the norm. Personally, I support non-repudiation and accountability in online activities. The constitutional guaranty regarding freedom of speech does not assure that I can hide my identity while having my say. It only guarantees me the right to have my say. Some might argue that freedom of speech is not assured on a commercial site such as the PCGS forum, but that is inaccurate. Any poster can say whatever they like to PCGS or their forum peers. However, they must also own the consequences of their actions. My post is not an endorsement or repudiation of the moderation of this or any other board. It is just my own observation regarding the need to post anonymously.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Limit posting rights to only those that are collectors club members. All others can view only. >>

image Silver level member ship is $49.00 per year that equates to 13.42¢ per day use rate.

Edit to add you are not technically a PCGS customer by buying a PCGS slab, PCGS customers pay PCGS to slab those coins.

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i have one alt....really i'm D.W.

just kidding.image
  • Options
    We as members can hum and haw til the sun goes down and beyond , is PCGS serious about doing something about it is the real question. I'm fairly new and the alt problem has been out of hand since before my time. We've seen guys booted over and over and it's a good bet they are still here today.
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the "Guess the price" thread involved at all? That was such a generous and fabulous prize I can see where some may have been tempted to make multiple guesses by creating an alternate identity.

If our host ever has another contest like this, how about limiting guesses to one per poster who has a minimum number of posts? Like 25 or 50. This would dissuade creating multiple ID's and making the first post an entry in the contest. The contest is sort of a reward to forum poster with out whom there would be no forum.

True, it would prevent lurkers from entering. Nothing wrong with lurking per say. But lurking really doesn't add anything to the forum content. You have to admit that content from forum posters is why people read the forum in the first place.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was the "Guess the price" thread involved at all? That was such a generous and fabulous prize I can see where some may have been tempted to make multiple guesses by creating an alternate identity.

If our host ever has another contest like this, how about limiting guesses to one per poster who has a minimum number of posts? Like 25 or 50. This would dissuade creating multiple ID's and making the first post an entry in the contest. The contest is sort of a reward to forum poster with out whom there would be no forum.

True, it would prevent lurkers from entering. Nothing wrong with lurking per say. But lurking really doesn't add anything to the forum content. You have to admit that content from forum posters is why people read the forum in the first place. >>

There is a Test Forum where unlimited posts can occur. Obtaining 50 posts can be achieved in less than an hour.

Also, posting a simple +1 to ANY thread can boost the thread count so using "number of posts" as a qualifier will prove nothing.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>While I respect the numerous valid reasons others might put forward regarding the need for anonymity online, I'm a firm believer that the internet is a public space. As such, public manners should be the norm. Personally, I support non-repudiation and accountability in online activities. The constitutional guaranty regarding freedom of speech does not assure that I can hide my identity while having my say. It only guarantees me the right to have my say. Some might argue that freedom of speech is not assured on a commercial site such as the PCGS forum, but that is inaccurate. Any poster can say whatever they like to PCGS or their forum peers. However, they must also own the consequences of their actions. My post is not an endorsement or repudiation of the moderation of this or any other board. It is just my own observation regarding the need to post anonymously. >>

Very well said and all true. The only reason to create more than one ID is to manipulate something. Contest entries, trolling, spamming, defaming or deriding another member and flaming. It is a form of cheating and is unethical which has become all to common and rewarded in recent times.

• Options

<< <i>There is a Test Forum where unlimited posts can occur. Obtaining 50 posts can be achieved in less than an hour.

Also, posting a simple +1 to ANY thread can boost the thread count so using "number of posts" as a qualifier will prove nothing. >>

True, where there is a will there is a way. Some people will go to great length to cheat. However, like cheap locks, it would keep honest people honest. Spending an hour making post after post to reach the minimum number would certainly limit those who would go through that for every dishonest entry. 10 hours to make 10 or 15 additional entries? Probably not.

If the test thread had someone making post after post, it would be strong evidence that they were cheating at something. But cheaters aren't always the sharpest knife in the drawer. Clever maybe. Determined. Totally self absorbed. Just watch "The Dumbest Criminals" on Tru-TV if you don't believe it.

I've been a member of forums where there are minimum posts required before you can take advantage of some feature of the forum. Like a Photoshop forum that had a minimum number of posts before you could down load a posted Action or Filter or Brush. It keeps the bonuses for those who participate and not the download raiders who swoop in, never make a single post, and download every free thing members spent time and effort on for the benefit of the other members.

• Options

<< <i>I am not a collectors club member but I'm a PCGS customer since I buy PCGS slabbed coins. Why do you want to eliminate me from this forum? >>

Not trying to eliminate you from the forum. Trying to add you to the collectors club. image
    As pointed out you are not a PCGS customer unless you are paying PCGS for a service or for a product. Buying PCGS graded coins makes you a TPB (third party buyer).

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Don,

A list of banned Ids and Alt Ids would really help the membership to help spot cheaters.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

<< <i>Don,

A list of banned Ids and Alt Ids would really help the membership to help spot cheaters. >>

How? Banned IDs can't post and if PCGS is aware of an ALT it gets banned. Any of these people that come back will have a new ID.

• Options

<< <i>

image Silver level member ship is $49.00 per year that equates to 13.42¢ per day use rate.

Edit to add you are not technically a PCGS customer by buying a PCGS slab, PCGS customers pay PCGS to slab those coins.

image >>

Of course PCGS would lose substantial business if those paying for slabbing weren't reselling said coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I am not a collectors club member but I'm a PCGS customer since I buy PCGS slabbed coins. Why do you want to eliminate me from this forum? >>

Not trying to eliminate you from the forum. Trying to add you to the collectors club. image
    As pointed out you are not a PCGS customer unless you are paying PCGS for a service or for a product. Buying PCGS graded coins makes you a TPB (third party buyer). >>

Wouldn't that make you a member of PCGS's seconday market? Being a second is still better than being a third.image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Holy Moly and Good Lord.

I guess DW doesn't like Alts. He asked for help identifying Alts. That's about it.

All the rest of this thread is difficult to figure out, I must be a bonehead, I can't make heads or tails of what you guys are talking about in this thread relative to the OP.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I have no alts. I will not comment on post count cheating that may have occurred years ago. image
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no easy fix but we can help PCGS control the problem.
    Larry

• Options

<< <i>Holy Moly and Good Lord.

I guess DW doesn't like Alts. He asked for help identifying Alts. That's about it.

All the rest of this thread is difficult to figure out, I must be a bonehead, I can't make heads or tails of what you guys are talking about in this thread relative to the OP. >>

the rest of the thread relates to ways to reduce the use of alts
    I hope that helped
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    But if I submit through a dealer to pcgs does that not make me a customer. I would also add that buying and selling , thereby promoting pcgs coins makes me just as equal. What about a secret handshake image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Holy Moly and Good Lord.

All the rest of this thread is difficult to figure out, I must be a bonehead, I can't make heads or tails of what you guys are talking about in this thread relative to the OP. >>

the rest of the thread relates to ways to reduce the use of alts
    I hope that helped >>

No, it did not help, but thanks anyway.

One more time - DW asked for help identifying Alts, not reducing the use of Alts, etc etc etc.

Just PM DW if you think an alt is out there. That's about it.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

If I buy a new Ford from a car dealership, am I not a customer of both Ford and the car dealer?

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Is it really the best tactic to have a contest that is for sure going to bring in a plethora of new members to the boards, then shortly after ending said contest put a second notice to report any known or suspected alts to DW or moderator? If I was a new memeber who joined for the contest and planned on sticking around I would be crossing my fingers that I didn't sounds/talk like some previous, unknown member.

This is from the viewpoint of unintended consequences.
  • Options
    for the folks without a credit card,
    perhaps you have a debit card which will accomplish the same thing,

for those with no debit card,
    perhaps mailing a check to PCGS imprinted with your name and address would work

for those with no debit card
    perhaps you can take a copy of your drivers license and white out the non pertinent areas

for those who don't drive, perhaps your library card

for those living completely off the grid
    perhaps send a copy of a utility bill
    or any bill
    or anything to identify yourself

This will never completely eliminate alts but it will reduce them IMO
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    If this is a result of the contest and all the new accounts, PCGS should have just opened the contest to people who were forum members up until 1 day before the contest started. I am not sure if this is legal, but if it is maybe it could be done in the future. There is a requirement to have contests be no purchase necessary, so there would have to always be a free way to enter, such as mailing in a entry, but this would create a lot of extra work for a simple contest.
  • Options

<< <i>for the folks without a credit card,

perhaps you can take a copy of your drivers license and white out the non pertinent areas

or any bill

This will never completely eliminate alts but it will reduce them IMO >>

Are you seriousimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Should we also report suspected CTRLs and DELs?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Should we also report suspected CTRLs and DELs?

Russ, NCNE >>

Go for it.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^
    I just now figured out what that means.

peacockcoins

• Options

<< <i>for the folks without a credit card,

or any bill

This will never completely eliminate alts but it will reduce them IMO >>

Wow!! You sure are creating a lot of work for PCGS. In any event, I doubt they want to be responsible to hold everyones personal information.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have a split personality, and I've got no reason to hide it somewhere else. image
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

For those of us that are not internet savy what does this mean? >>

ALT CTRL DEL are all keys on your keyboard.

(I know... I know. . . it took me a couple of beats too.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭

Russ, NCNE >>

@ = at
    & = and
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Russ, NCNE >>

For those of us that are not internet savy what does this mean? >>

CTRL-ALT-DEL..............

Do you us an APPLE based product?

• Options
    MM Posts: 363

<< <i>If this is a result of the contest and all the new accounts, PCGS should have just opened the contest to people who were forum members up until 1 day before the contest started. I am not sure if this is legal, but if it is maybe it could be done in the future. There is a requirement to have contests be no purchase necessary, so there would have to always be a free way to enter, such as mailing in a entry, but this would create a lot of extra work for a simple contest. >>

This - any contest that involves give aways from PCGS only open to forum members of record 1 day prior or some defined period that eliminates the rash of new members/ALTs signing up just to get a chance to win. As to identifying ALTS, personally would not have a clue.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I guess that was a little too geeky for some. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    "any contest that involves give aways from PCGS only open to forum members of record 1 day prior or some defined period that eliminates the rash of new members/ALTs signing up just to get a chance to win."

Cool I better get my ALT in now before the next big contest!

image Just joking.

Seriously though guys lets put down the pitch forks and take a few deep breaths. I don't have an ALT, perhaps someone did make one up just to gain one more shot at guessing the prize but at the end of the day I don't think that is a HUGE crime. Not very sportsman like but not a huge deal, they still had to guess the right figure.

What bugs me is when people hide behind an ALT to try and attack someone else. They should be reported and they, plus their IP address should then be banned. Simple.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file