Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there REALLY collectors out there of astronomically priced (modern) grade rarities?

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding 1955D quarters, a number of years ago I bought an OBW roll of this date.

On opening the roll and taking a look at each coin multiple times what did I find?

Every coin was low end (MS62-63 at best). Lots of luster, lots of blast white coins (minus the two end roll toners) but everyone had problems. Spots, dings, marks scratches, weak strikes, etc., etc.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally believe Wondercoin knows the modern market and knows how to buy and sell top high grade Washies. He wouldn't be where he is in this hobby if he did not. He diffently knows what he is doing.

I also believe in what Bill Jones is saying about the very thin market for these coins. And you have to know and be in the right circle to deal with these type of coins.

I am more comfortable with the circ grades for older coins and the grade right before the big price jump on Uncs.

If a 66 is $100 and a 67 is $5000...I take the 66. To me the difference in what you get in the 67 is not worth the extra $4900. But that is just me.

Now if a 66 is $200 and a 67 is $500...maybe...depends on how much better the 67 looks.

That's just me.image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point about raw coins and the grades they might get is a good one. I think that I can grade about well as anyone, but I can’t tell you with 100% accuracy what coin might grade when it is submitted for grading. This is not to say that I or the expert in the grading room is wrong because the expert in the grading room might give the same coin a different grade the next time around. Every one of us who has submitted the same coin more than one time or who know dealers who have submitted the same coin multiple times know that this is true. Even the condition census data that expert collectors assemble over time changes depending upon who is doing the grading.

BUT with the type of coins that I buy, the difference in price is far smaller if the grade turns out to be slightly lower than I might have calculated. On the other hand, with a modern coin, the difference between an MS-66 and 67 (or another one point difference) can be huge.

I’m not at all comfortable with coins that have most of their value tied to the grading number on the slab and having that value fall by huge percentages if the grade were to drop one point. Sure, the 1838-D $5 gold piece I have in MS-63 would drop a lot if it became an MS-62 tomorrow, but it’s still a high grade 1838-D half eagle, which is a tough coin in any light (6 to 8 known in Mint State according to Doug Winter). On the other hand, there are many thousands of Mint State 1963 quarters, and if the MS-67 were to become an MS-66 tomorrow the price effects would devastating to the owner.

No matter how you look at it a 1963 quarter is a common collector coin overall. An 1838-D half eagle is a scarce coin (200 to 250 known in all grades according to Doug Winter) with an interesting history, being the first of its kind from a mint with a romantic name and an interesting history. To me there is just no comparison between the two coins. But that’s what makes those of us who follow the classics different from those who follow the moderns. I collect some modern coins, most the Proofs and modern commemoratives, but I don’t have an incredible admiration for them.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not at all and I commend you for the honesty. And to be fair a UNC 1794 penny would bring more in pcgs plastic too but the spread is much greater between the two. I was just trying to point out that at those levels people are really buying the best plastic and not necessarily the best coin. >>

You'd think that, but the high-grade modern plastic market seems to have legs. Five or ten years ago everyone pretty much thought it was gonna blow up, but here we are in the great recession and it still works. You can think the plastic market is stupid, but you have to acknowledge it exists.

Conversely the plastic pushers need to acknowledge that a 1794 1c has a heckuva lot more longstanding foundational value than the plastic they collect.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You'd think that, but the high-grade modern plastic market seems to have legs. Five or ten years ago everyone pretty much thought it was gonna blow up, but here we are in the great recession and it still works. You can think the plastic market is stupid, but you have to acknowledge it exists. >>

I thought that there was a big correction in the ultra high grade, low POP modern coin market a couple of years ago. Am I wrong about that?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I thought that there was a big correction in the ultra high grade, low POP modern coin market a couple of years ago. Am I wrong about that?"

Bill: I did not see that with respect to business strike coins; in fact, I WISH I could reveal the price I just sold the Justhavingfun business strike 1938-1964 Jefferson Nickel set for, but, regrettably I can't.

We did see some price drops with respect to perfect 70 grade ultra-modern coins (certainly not the topic of this thread) ... I assume that might be what you are alluding to.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I totally believe Wondercoin knows the modern market and knows how to buy and sell top high grade Washies. He wouldn't be where he is in this hobby if he did not. He diffently knows what he is doing.

I also believe in what Bill Jones is saying about the very thin market for these coins. And you have to know and be in the right circle to deal with these type of coins.

I am more comfortable with the circ grades for older coins and the grade right before the big price jump on Uncs.

If a 66 is $100 and a 67 is $5000...I take the 66. To me the difference in what you get in the 67 is not worth the extra $4900. But that is just me.

Now if a 66 is $200 and a 67 is $500...maybe...depends on how much better the 67 looks.

That's just me.image >>

• Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>

<< <i>You'd think that, but the high-grade modern plastic market seems to have legs. Five or ten years ago everyone pretty much thought it was gonna blow up, but here we are in the great recession and it still works. You can think the plastic market is stupid, but you have to acknowledge it exists. >>

I thought that there was a big correction in the ultra high grade, low POP modern coin market a couple of years ago. Am I wrong about that? >>

Certain segments have been hit hard. Most coins that were part of the Omaha Bank hoard saw pops go way up, and prices weaken, sometimes tumble. It didn't help that many of the Omaha coins were graded liberally. Franklins got hit as hard as anything, with some of the top coins seeing 50% to 80% price declines. So again, it has been and continues to be a crap shoot. It is human nature for dealers and collectors of the material to point to the issues that have done well, and some issues have done well.

Some of the posts in the wannabe collector thread tell cautionary tales for classic coin collectors as well, including one story that you [BillJones] posted. Just because a person collects moderns or even ultra moderns, doesn't mean they are fools. The smart money tends to do well what ever they collect, classic or modern. The dumb money tends to lose no matter what series they choose. Smart money in numismatics tends to come back to what I always write: grading skill, market knowledge and access to coins.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"I question if wondercoin's 15k offer would be valid if the two monester gems were raw?" >>

Thats kind of a BS comment since I seriously doubt that anybody would pay MS67 prices for a raw 1892-S Barber quarter or MS67 Money for a Raw 1922-D Peace Dollar or slabbed equivalent grade prices for ANY raw coin.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding 1955D quarters, a number of years ago I bought an OBW roll of this date.

On opening the roll and taking a look at each coin multiple times what did I find?

Every coin was low end (MS62-63 at best). Lots of luster, lots of blast white coins (minus the two end roll toners) but everyone had problems. Spots, dings, marks scratches, weak strikes, etc., etc. >>

Perfect point Kevin!

Look at any roll of Modern Design coinage and its an exact reflection of what older rolls look like!

Just like anything else, coins are minted and usually bagged or rolled in lots. If I had 10 rolls of coins all purchased from the same bank at the same time and one roll produced a couple of high grade coins, you can bet your paycheck I'd be cracking those other rolls open! When I started seeing an abundance of lower gade coins, I'd stop.

OBW means very little, aside from original mint luster, with regard to strike quality and coin preservation.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This phenomenon is a result of the popularity of TPG registries.

If registries fade away, so will this. >>

This isn't true.

There was a time that I thought PCGS's exclusion of moderns from the registry sets was holding
    the coins back in terms of price. This was in '96 and I even sent a letter to Mr. Hall suggesting that
    moderns were no less collectible than any other coins and that high prices were already being paid
    for extremely high grade clads. I had an offer of several thousand dollars for a very high grade '76
    type I Ike back before there even were any grading services so it certainly was neither grading ser-
    vices nor registry sets that created this "monster".

I think the more legitimate question is where the hell are the collectors for moderns. There are tens
    of thousands of serious collectors for almost all US coin series but the demand for moderns is so in-
    credibly weak that inless a coin has a mintage or pop under a dozen there just are no high prices. A
    nice choice well struck '82-P quarter probably has a total surviving population of a few hundred but
    it might be found for a few dollars while a '16-D dime in atrocious condition will always bring a few
    hundred.

In retrospect I think it might be the registry sets that actually impeded these sets. All the old coins
    had been collected for decades when the registry began but moderns were still in their infancy. Per-
    haps collectors just figure they don't want to compete for the top spots or can't afford it so they don't
    collect at all.

Who knows? But these markets most assuredly were not invented by PCGS. It's true that cents and
    dimes had virtually no interest in '97 when they were allowed in the registry but it was building.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>
    As I have said many times before. I have nothing against modern coins; I collect them myself. I have something against OVERPRICED modern coins. >>

If only there were a crystal ball to know which are overpriced.

When a coin goes for "moon money" one has to be cautious but who defines where that line is crossed?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>The reason I would not get too much into top pop moderns is there is still to many BU rolls still in original wrappers to risk waiting for the moderrns to start getting enough attention to change those popoulation reports, IMHO. This does not mean it will happen but is a concern I've always had for anything to modern, but each to his own and good luck to all that collect them. I hope my theory is wrong for their sakes. >>

This certainly doesn't apply to clad rolls.

Try finding an original roll of '69-P quarters then get back to me. The few rolls available are all mint set rolls.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>Are high prices just Registry Driven? No. I don't believe for a second that they are. Some yes, but a majority no. There are simply knowledgeable collectors of Modern Coinage Designs out there that KNOW, for a fact, that these Low Pop High Grade coins just do NOT come around that often. They are in fact as difficult to find "and get graded" as high grade classic design coins.

No ifs ands or buts. >>

I get to pick up grossly underpriced coins because these coins are so ignored. It's not
    only MS-68 coins that are rare but sometimes they're even quite scarce in MS-63 or 64.
    So long as most collectors look elsewhere there are only two prices for most moderns:
    "Moon Money" or "free".
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The reason I would not get too much into top pop moderns is there is still to many BU rolls still in original wrappers to risk waiting for the moderrns to start getting enough attention to change those popoulation reports, IMHO. This does not mean it will happen but is a concern I've always had for anything to modern, but each to his own and good luck to all that collect them. I hope my theory is wrong for their sakes. >>

This certainly doesn't apply to clad rolls.

Try finding an original roll of '69-P quarters then get back to me. The few rolls available are all mint set rolls. >>

My statement just implies how I feel about it and why I don't collect them, is does not mean I'm right because as I said I don't collect them so my knowledge is insignificant compared to yours and wondercoin. Only reason I replied to topic due to original topic and how I feel about the question. I will however state I agree with Dimeman give me a 66 for $100-$500 any day over a 67 at $8,000+ (numbers used are just examples) and I read a article somewhere that stated they also feel future collectors will be less inclined to care about the difference of a few points when price margins are so wide. That which I agree, but also does not mean the article writer or myself are right, As they say if I could predict the future, I would be rich.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options

<< <i>
    My statement just implies how I feel about it and why I don't collect them, is does not mean I'm right because as I said I don't collect them so my knowledge is insignificant compared to yours and wondercoin. Only reason I replied to topic due to original topic and how I feel about the question. I will however state I agree with Dimeman give me a 66 for $100-$500 any day over a 67 at $8,000+ (numbers used are just examples) and I read a article somewhere that stated they also feel future collectors will be less inclined to care about the difference of a few points when price margins are so wide. That which I agree, but also does not mean the article writer or myself are right, As they say if I could predict the future, I would be rich. >>

I didn't so much mean to suggest you were wrong as to simply observe that many rolls
    were saved right up until 1965. As WonderCoin pointed out it's been a very long time now
    and many of these don't survive any longer.

But after 1965 rolls simply weren't saved. Sure, lots of cent rolls were and some nickel
    rolls. But the clad was simply ignored so very few of these rolls ever existed and attrition
    has been even harsher on them because coin shops put them in the register to make change.

There just aren't ever going to be huge hoards hitting the pop tops. I might have one of
    the biggest of all and it's less than puny compared to the total size of the market and sample
    size. When it hits the market it will be ho hum.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Michiganboy (and OP) ... the 64-P quarter is now 48 years old! The 55-D quarter is 57 years old!!

Food for thought ... when I personally started collecting coins as a 6 or 7 year old kid, the 1909svdb Lincoln cent was more "modern" (measured in years old) than the 1955-D quarter is today to the new crop of yound collectors!!!

Wondercoin >>

Yes, and those coins were saved by the roll. Back in the early 1960s the roll market was "the investment thing." Then that market died. Luckily the rise in the price of silver came along and saved a lot of those BU coins from circulation or the melting pot.

Granted few of the coins in those rolls grade MS-67, and some of the stuff in the early 1960s, especially from the Denver is lucky if it grades MS-63. Still the guys who pay four and figure prices for that material have more guts that I do. I pay that kind of money for a Mint State 1794 cent or half cent, not a 1963 quarter. >>

image but only to the extant that it's a Charlotte or Dahlonega quarter or half eagle. image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690

I've been under the assumption, because of posts like yours, that it was only due to the registries. Come to find out, an article I read today, it has been going on long before the registries have been a part of the numismatic competition.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I've been under the assumption, because of posts like yours, that it was only due to the registries. Come to find out, an article I read today, it has been going on long before the registries have been a part of the numismatic competition. >>

Can you post a link to the article or give me a source citation so I can go read it?

Somebody should do a study of the percentage increase in prices year by year for high-grade modern coins...maybe somebody already has.

It sure seems to me like the prices for these coins have sky-rocketed in the last ten years or so...and that, I still believe, is because of the registries.

Cladking and others can post examples of a modern coin that fetched a relatively high price before the registries, but I believe those are anomalies...by far the exception, not the rule.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I've been under the assumption, because of posts like yours, that it was only due to the registries. Come to find out, an article I read today, it has been going on long before the registries have been a part of the numismatic competition. >>

Can you post a link to the article or give me a source citation so I can go read it?

Somebody should do a study of the percentage increase in prices year by year for high-grade modern coins...maybe somebody already has.

It sure seems to me like the prices for these coins have sky-rocketed in the last ten years or so...and that, I still believe, is because of the registries.

Cladking and others can post examples of a modern coin that fetched a relatively high price before the registries, but I believe those are anomalies...by far the exception, not the rule. >>

The problem here is that the price guides were a joke before the PCGS price guide. Most of
    them still require me to suppress laughter. Even the Pcgs guide has a few apparent flaws.
    The Red Book lists everything at retail or higher levels except moderns which can be under
    wholesale. Krause (Numis News) was the first to list prices not based on face value back in
    the early '90's but has hardly changed them since.

I believe that prices have generally been in a continual uptrend except the numerous ones
    that haven't budged. An MS-63 1979-D penny just isn't going to attract much of a premium
    or spirited bidding whether you have one or a few dozen bags of them. But the people who
    want and need these coins for collections have been at it for a very long time in some cases
    and they mostly all need the same coins. If you're putting together a Gem Ike set it's the same
    coins you can't find now as you couldn't find in 1980. There are several toughies but the stop-
    per is the '76 type I. People want this coin and there has never been much of a formal market
    because few dealers or collectors desire to make one since demand is so weak. The pioneers
    in the markets have only been around for twenty years but the collectors have been around
    longer. It appears to a casual observer that the Ike market started in '80, soared in '85, soared
    again in '95 and has crept a little higher since but the real price increases have probably been
    smoother than the appearances.

Half dollars didn't move much until '85. But there has been a small demand for all the coins
    straight along. I could never get a feel for the demand on any sort of absolute scale because
    the huge numbers of mint sets produced year in and year out just swamped any possible de-
    mand. But then came 1982 and a real enlightenment. Reagan ceased mint set production to
    cut government expenditures but this fact was not widely known especially outside the hobby.
    At the beginning of '82 I thought I was about the only person saving moderns but throughout
    the year there were people coming into the coin shops looking for the new mint sets. I asked
    a few what coins they were looking for and there was a variety of answers from wanting to
    keep their mint set collections complete, to all of them, and half dollars. But there were also a
    few looking for cents, nickels and even clad. People had come to learn that the sets contained
    the besat specimens so just took their chances with buying a mint set. There are some modern
    coin collections out there though they will be few and far between and will trickle into the coin
    shops over the next four or five decades. But the collectors paying high prices are pretty rare.
    Some might have some truly spectacular collections since a few hundred dollars went a long way
    in buying nice moderns back in those days.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every new issue comes out I have this collector call and ask if I have any "70's". When I say "No, I don't". He says, "Well I'm trying to give you my business but I'll just have to go to ____ ____ ____" ( a forum member's business name). And I say, "Go ahead , Larry".
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I did not bother to read all the responses to this thread topic, and this is not my usual response to a thread on CU. It is my opinion that those paying high prices for modern grade rarities better soon sell off their holdings. Paying high prices for modern high grade rarities is silly, because they are simply not rarities.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My observation is perhaps a bit different from others and may be most similar to wondercoin's.

Starting in the 1970's I began to collect obw and UNC rolls of washington quarters by the boatload. Literally, hundreds and hundreds of rolls from the 1930's all the way to 1964 for the silver ones and all the way to the 1990's for the clad ones. I have probably reviewed close to 2500 quarter rolls of various dates since 1970. Lest you think I was rich when I bought these rolls, keep in mind that my average cost on the generic rolls were less than $25 per roll and did cash in all of the circulated silver and the lessre quality unc rolls in the first week of January 1980.

My main observation is that the D mint quarter rolls including those from the obw rolls from 1955 ghrough 1964 with rare exceptions were at best, crappy coins and hardly worth saving. MS-64/65 at best. There were more quality P mint rolls to be found and interestingly enough, found two 1962 P mint rolls that are very close to P67 quality. But I bought those two rolls back in 1996 and have found only a few rolls as nice since.

I have had a much easier time finding P67 quality quarters from the 1940's of all mints and 1950's from SF primarily.

Interestingly when the silver prices neared $50 an ounce last spring, I dumped most of my excess quarter rolls. What were they?
    Mostly, 1958-D, 1962-D, 1963 P&D and 1964 P&D that were inferior looking. There was not a lot of rolls left of those dates that I thought were worthwhile keeping.

Another crude way to value a coin is the following:

If there is 1 coin in 67 and it is valued at $10,000 then all the coins in that grade is worth $10,000.
    If there are 100 coins in 66 and they are valued at $150 each, then all the coins in that grade are worth $15,000.

In this case, the coin in 67 based on thatmethod of valuation may be a better buy. However there is a big caveat. From time to time PCGS and NGC much more often have been known to open the floodgates.

Example, in the above scenario, what happens in the unlikely event that that 67 coin or another coin somehow attains the 68 grade! That then opens the door for many former 66 graded to attain the 67 grade. It has been happening in the walkers for the past 15 years. It has been happening to dimes, cents, etc. It has happened to quarters to a lesser extent up to now.

More commentary but it is late for me And I have to get to sleep.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Points well taken and appreciated, all.

However, one problem that at least I have is how a single point difference can be worth a 30 (or more) fold price change. Despite the open braggadacio often displayed by many on this board, I think in fact that this single point can be a source of great debate - in other words, would there always be a consensus amongst those knowing a particular coin and series that a particular coin fit a particular grade? This supposed objective difference does in fact (IMO) have a subjective side to it.

I will not claim to be an end-all expert but have some experience over the last 25 and more years with coins, and have seen moderns in the leading TPG slabs at "70" that definately had micro-flaws visible even to the naked eye - let alone at 5x. And I have seen like coins by the same services of the same date, type, etc. that grade "69" and are not inferior (and I am talking about coins that I do NOT own). To pursue: on the recent and greatly loved High Relief 2009 $20, is a particular coin in "70" superior to that graded "69", and would on crack out it sustain that grade by the same service? If not, how would it justify the premium, and let us not consider this "Early Strike" or "First Release" nonsense?

There is no accounting for personal preferences, so if a 1964 quarter is sold at 5k or 20k or whatever, God bless the seller and maybe even more the buyer. On the other hand, as our beloved Cladking appreciates, how about a well-struck and mark free MS 67 1969-83 quarter as opposed to a lowly 63? The former, IMO, definately deserves some recognition as to rarity and perhaps one day in price as well.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>I might have one of
    the biggest of all and it's less than puny compared to the total size of the market and sample
    size. When it hits the market it will be ho hum. >>

Somehow, I seriously doubt this since I've personally witnessed certain clad quarter rolls sell for over $900.

The tricky part is in determining whether or not its a put together mint set roll. For 82 and 83, it doesn't matter since there were no mint sets and very limited souvenir sets. For 65-81, anything in an original untampered bank wrap is going to get some serious attention.

I know of two collectors whose "hoards" I'd love to look at.

Cladking and Proofartoncircs. These two collectors transcended the silver barrier and have paid serious attention to every modern design coin ever issued. Making note of designs, die marriages and relative scarcities, both have amassed some serious collections. Judging from what Cladking has posted, he must live in a frigging Castle!

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2017 5:07PM

I was looking through some of my old treads ...

This thread is from 5 years ago when i was posing a question about the value of an ms67 1964 washington quarter.
    Whether or not a high value was justified.
    Five years ago, the pcgs price guide was showing value at $5,000

Just for fun, a few minures ago, i poked over to the pcgs price guide and was amazed to see the value has fallen from $5000 to $800. I suppose im not totally shocked tho as $800 seems much more justifiable.

That bring said, i am no expert in this area.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if Wondercoin sold on the way down, or waiting on the rebound? Witnessed a gentlemen going up to get an award at a PCGS registry event years ago. He had the finest American Silver Eagle set, all in MS70. Lot of praise heaped upon his collection. He had no idea of the bath he would take when he moved on to something else. Modern condition rarities are too prone to increasing populations and gradeflation for me to participate. JMHO

• Options

My MS67 quarter is now a 67+. Check out the price guide on the same coin from 5 years ago now! On top of that, I personally grade my coin MS68. Funny thing is the coin is in for grading this very minute and while it may not upgrade to MS68 this week, I am confident it will eventually as it is still the nicest 64 business strike quarter I have ever seen. Wondercoin .

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

So since the price has dropped on the MS67, you have relied on gradeflation to bale you out? Would the new owner of your coin in a 68 holder be told that it started life in a 67 holder?

• Options
    edited March 8, 2017 6:54PM

Wondercoin, post a pic of your 67+ monster. Id like to take a gander!
    Also educate me on the difference between a 67, 67+, and 68
    I'd like to learn.

• Options
    ShortgapbobShortgapbob Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭

I guess the grading on is getting pushed on the few 67+ 64 quarters. PCGS Price Guide is 15k, but one sold in Heritage this year for $3,500.

Personally, I think the best of the best will always be identified and pursued. That doesn't just mean a best holder label either, it means items identified by the contingent chasing them as the best.

You can find plenty of situations where coins in the same service's holder of the same numerical grade realize vastly different amounts.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle

For a large selection of U.S. Coins & Currency, visit The Reeded Edge's online webstore at the link below.

The Reeded Edge
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many people who collect top pops are using gradeflation to stay ahead of falling prices.

• Options
    KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2017 8:45PM

Per PCGS CoinFacts:

1964 MS67+ POP. 5

Price Guide: $15K

Last one sold: 1/17: $3.5K

• Options
    edited March 8, 2017 8:43PM

Bolivar... of course ... my coin is the nicest 64 I have seen in 33 years of searching. I graded it MS68 from the day I bought it for strong money about 15 or 20 years ago, give or take. Wondercoin.

• Options

Op... when I get back to the office I would be happy to do so. Wondercoin.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

Per PCGS CoinFacts:

1964 MS67+ POP. 5

I watched that one go up for auction. When I first saw it listed, I followed it. I have no idea how it ever achieved MS-67+ with the amount of nicks on it. There is just no way it should be a top pop. The auction price proved it.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, those auction prices are "Alternative prices."

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

The question of "what is too much money" really depends on who you ask. There's graded and raw coins that I wouldn't pay melt for, let alone a premium. But there are also coins and medals (raw and graded) that I have paid quite handsomely for and I might pay considerably more for a coin or medal in 1 condition grade higher if I really wanted that item in that graded condition.

It's all a matter of perspective and personal preferences.

• Options

@mmissinglink said:
    The question of "what is too much money" really depends on who you ask. There's graded and raw coins that I wouldn't pay melt for, let alone a premium. But there are also coins and medals (raw and graded) that I have paid quite handsomely for and I might pay considerably more for a coin or medal in 1 condition grade higher if I really wanted that item in that graded condition.

It's all a matter of perspective and personal preferences.

Welcome aboard.

I'm always amazed to see what many coins bring at retail.

I tend to have champaign tastes on a beer budget and paid very little for most of the coins in my safety deposit boxes. I tend to prefer nice Gems that are almost unimprovable to slightly nicer Gems for vastly more money. But, by the same token I consider an MS-67 to generally be far superior to an MS-66.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

I can't testify about the grade, but that is definitely the prettiest Washington quarter I've ever seen.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is worth considering that "gradeflation" is nothing more than a way to prop up sagging prices, Numismatic inflation if you will. it lends credence to the argument that a TPG is merely pricing coins for us. in the MS67 Quarter example, by "inflating" the grade of the coin the TPG involved has managed to keep its value relatively consistent while the same grade pop numbers have grown.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondercoin, that is stunning!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mmissinglink..... Welcome aboard....
    @wondercoin ..... Tarnish aside (and I am sure that will add premium to a sale price), I must say, that is a very well struck quarter.... and you could indeed get a 68... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    This phenomenon is a result of the popularity of TPG registries.

If registries fade away, so will this.

This

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2017 6:22AM

WonderCoin, I love it. It's the toning that makes it for me. Looks original.

I went hunting for your Registry Set.
    All I can say is WOW.
    Are you going to get all the coins TrueView'd eventually?

WonderCoin's Washington Quarter Registry Set

Just a superb looking set.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every market decays , participates in some sort of cycle. I think moderns will be a one time cycle though. There is really no reason to expect that 50 years after it bottoms people will suddenly start looking at MS68 slabbed quarters and think these are set to take off again.

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    Here is the original pop 1/0 1964-P Quarter grading PCGS-MS67+ that was reflected in the $15,000 Price Guide price. A few years back, I had about -20- pop 1/0 coins in just my PCGS 1932-1964 silver quarter collection. Today, I have just -4- remaining. I graded this coin MS68 when I bought it 15-20 years ago in a PCGS-MS67 holder from a fellow silver Washington quarter collector. It was amazing then as an MS67 and is still amazing today as an MS67+. Obviously, I am not thrilled that the coin is now pop 5 when it was pop 1 just a short while ago. But, the coin speaks for itself. Wondercoin

That's an absolutely gorgeous coin. If I was into collecting quarters and if I had the money, I'd probably buy it at that asking price....that's the way I roll more often than not. But that coin is currently out of my budget.

• Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

Per PCGS CoinFacts:

1964 MS67+ POP. 5

I actually bought this coin, and was willing to pay more then that for it. Wondercoin, I'll take your ms67+ for $4,000 if you'd like...lol.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

you wouldn't even need to twist my arm to take the below pictured coin and $3k+ over the others in this thread. my ego would also be intact.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file