Home U.S. Coin Forum

In honor of Coolest, let's see some Trade Dollars

1235»

Comments

• keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Crypto...the 75 looks like a PR to me from the image...the stars seem to be of Proof in relief.

keoj
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Dan. You may be right, I'll have to take a closer look next time I get it out of the safe deposit box.
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another interesting one, with a bit of history. This is a rare 73-CC chopmarked in PCGS EF-45. This coin was formerly owned by Frank Rose, the "godfather" of chopmark collecting. He purchased it somewhere in the Orient in 1968.

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    DDR, that is an amazing pedigree to have on your Trade Dollar!!

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps OT at this point, but if Tradedollarnut has a photo, he used to own my old 1878-CC MS65 (DMPL undesignated). Love to see it 20 yrs later.image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps OT at this point, but if Tradedollarnut has a photo, he used to own my old 1878-CC MS65 (DMPL undesignated). Love to see it 20 yrs later.image >>

Heck I'd love to see that too! TDN?
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

<< <i>Perhaps OT at this point, but if Tradedollarnut has a photo, he used to own my old 1878-CC MS65 (DMPL undesignated). Love to see it 20 yrs later.image >>

Heck I'd love to see that too! TDN? >>

X3
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welllll - I wouldn't say DMPL - semi PL at least, PL perhaps. Let me see if I can dig up an image
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Welllll - I wouldn't say DMPL - semi PL perhaps. Let me see if I can dig up an image >>

Yeah...JUST a semi-PL MS65 78-CC trade dollar image
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Just got one of the crown jewels of my set Secure Plus graded and PCGS True Viewed it, it is one of the finest known type 2/2 Cir Strikes so I am glad it will be in coin facts going forward. That 78cc is amazing TDN.
    Link to the big one
    What a fabulous coin, Crypto and what a crowning achievement for your set. It's great to see it without the plastic cover. Bravo! image
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow, two things, one, lots of great coins and info. Thanks for sharing both. And two, how did I miss this thread the first time around??image

My poor mans eye appeal trade dollar collection has eight or nine pieces. Mainly 55 thru 62. A few are the 77/7 overdate and the genuine Dcam I got from the 2011 ASE flip and the 62+ from a board member. . It's been a great series for me. Don't have a CC yet, maybe someday.

Need something designed and 3D printed?
    Cool coins, 66Tbird! That 77 repunched date is neat.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade $'s
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll bump this thread with my latest raw eBay purchase. I thought it was the FS502, but now in hand I think it's just a normal 75S with a very similar MM position. Just for discussion's sake, here is an overlay of my coin with OriginalDan's FS502, excuse the poor close-up of the MM, it's difficult to take a good picture holding the camera in one hand and a 10x loupe in the other image

The coin is a beat up high-end circ, the reverse looks barely circulated and possible UNC. The coin led a hard life in the Orient for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file