Home U.S. Coin Forum

In honor of Coolest, let's see some Trade Dollars

Comments

• 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Here's one I like but the photos are not great.

imageimage
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that one 123cents! Nice grade, nice original look, hard to find for a 74.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Love that one 123cents! Nice grade, nice original look, hard to find for a 74. >>

Agreed that 74p is top shelf

Type 2/2- DDR FS-801. A very rare coin that is also a condition rarity that is unknown to me in UNC. NGC calls this a AU53 which would make it one of the finest known but I am pretty sure a XF45 is in this coins future when it goes to PCGS in the summer.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are we sucked dry of all T$1 examples to share? image >>

Has this become a free-for-all now? I can contribute a bit more...

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• stealerstealer Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Has this become a free-for-all now? I can contribute a bit more... >>

Please! I've been soliciting to make this a Trade Dollar megathread image

<< <i>

<< <i>

Please! I've been soliciting to make this a Trade Dollar megathread image >>

I agree. Keep posting Trade Dollars. I can't get enough of them.image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree. Keep posting Trade Dollars. I can't get enough of them.image >>

That's a great 74P man! I'd be proud to own that one.
    Type 2/2- RPD FS-301 scarcest of the 3 hub type pairs for the date/mint and 3rd scarcest of the die pairs that come in this type with the DDO being the rarest and the Large S'mm being 2nd. This IMO is the clearest RPD of the series and this is a great example of the coin with a choice chop for flavor. FYI-- While the entire Obv hub was reworked in the transition, the main pick up points on the type 2 Obv is 4 fingers on the outreached hand instead of 3 and a thumb on the type 1, and the arrows on the "liberty flag" point down instead of to the left.
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's one that I bought off E-bay a couple years ago that turned out to be a real jewel.I no longer own it,but it needs to be shown so I hope the new owner doesn't mind me posting it.It is tied for the top grade for an 1873-P chopmark.

imageimage

Trade $'s
  • TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my 77-p that as many know are usually weakly struck on the obverse.I think its undergraded by 5 to 8 points in its AU-50 holder.Sorry about the different sized pictures.

Trade $'s
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Don't think anyone has posted this one yet. 1873-CC misplaced date. Second pic shows the location of the 7 in the denticles, just the top of the digit peaks out.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree. Keep posting Trade Dollars. I can't get enough of them.image >>

Ok, here is another one of mine... Please identify its provenance! (Yes, it is from a very famous named collection.)

Anyone recognize my 74-S?

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone recognize my 74-S? >>

Sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one....

Ex-Legend?

<< <i>

Ex-Legend? >>

A Legend principle used to own it, but it was never part of that named collection. Let's see who can go toe to toe with TDN in terms of TD knowledge.

EVP

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ex-Legend? >>

A Legend principle used to own it, but it was never part of that named collection. Let's see who can go toe to toe with TDN in terms of TD knowledge.

EVP >>

Actually, yes it was part of the trade dollar set for a few years.
    It is the Eliasberg specimen? Thank you for the chance at the generous give away Steve image
    Here is mine, it is graded xf45 but it is really a PL (Obv) AU55 in a very early NGC holder that has continued to tone the coin.

And as a counter weight to that coin is this one of mine
    Great examples guys!
    Crypto, that sure is a nice looking XF45! These days that would be an NGC 58 image
    Now that coolest has posted his 78-cc, I guess I'm allowed to post this one:

PCGS AU58 - posted here previously in a 78-CC mint set thread. A very clean coin that saw some kind of circulation as the fields are not MS but was also kept very carefully and avoided practically any contact marks.

<< <i>Crypto, that sure is a nice looking XF45! These days that would be an NGC 58 image >>

Kind of like the old NGC grading on CBH's...all over the place!
    Nice 74S (Crypto's) and 78CC (OrigDan's)!

I really hate it when TDN knows my coin better than I know it, but in this case I think I can be forgiven.

Anyway, yes, my 74S was from Eliasberg. I remember when Laura first showed it to me, she said that I won't understand it (because of the obv PL) and quoted me a number I thought was strong at the time. Fast forward to now, I can't remember how much I paid, but I still surely remember the coin!

As an aside, very few folks here know much about my core US collection of Seated and Trade dollars. Laura, and George, transformed it from one that a collector can appreciate to one that a dealer too can appreciate. At a recent Baltimore show, I thanked Laura for what she did for me. Her knee-jerk response was to yell at me (for whatever unspecified perceived transgression on my part), then checked herself and nicely said that I was welcome. I walked away feeling empty that I didn't get yelled at. I'm a nostalgic person!

Say what you want about Laura's distinctiveness, but to me she's a diamond in the rough.

When I get the chance, I'll post another piece that has a small story.

EVP

Your 74s is clearly a special coin and it deserved a special price. To mix it up a little bit, here is a coin that barley circulated and is an AU58 image
    I got this following piece also through Legend a zillion years ago. I was sitting at my desk one day, and I get a call from Laura asking me if I have XXX amount of money available. She has a coin for me. She tells me the coin, and I tell her yes. She also told me that both she and TDN really like the coin, and think it would be a good fit for my set.

Comparing the image to my memory (I haven't looked at the coin carefully in quite some time), I think (hope?) the reddish hue in the image are hot spots as opposed to chemical residue. I'll have to look at it more carefully the next time I go to my SDB. But, from memory, the coin is lightly toned and very flashy.

Both 78CC's posted are fantastic!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now that coolest has posted his 78-cc, I guess I'm allowed to post this one:

PCGS AU58 - posted here previously in a 78-CC mint set thread. A very clean coin that saw some kind of circulation as the fields are not MS but was also kept very carefully and avoided practically any contact marks. >>

Me likey very very much!!! image

<< <i>

<< <i>Now that coolest has posted his 78-cc, I guess I'm allowed to post this one:

PCGS AU58 - posted here previously in a 78-CC mint set thread. A very clean coin that saw some kind of circulation as the fields are not MS but was also kept very carefully and avoided practically any contact marks. >>

Me likey very very much!!! image >>

Nothing not to like really. I can only wish
    A humble 78s

<< <i>Nothing not to like really. I can only wish >>

Yeah right Crypto, your 78-CC is no slouch and is more than most of us would hope to own. I've always like it I hope you post it in this thread at some point!
    Let's mix it up a little with a nice CC chop marked example. Somebody really took it out on this coin!

Bueller....Buelller....?

Did we really run out of steam with this thread? Or maybe Trade Dollars are so scarce that we posted all of them. image

Let's see some more!
    I think we've done run everyone dry!
    Then it's time to pick up some newps, folks!

Here's one of my favorites, picked up not too long ago and recently photographed. PCGS PR63CAM, with 4 finger "transitional" obverse. The fields look almost wet, kind of like pools of hot liquid magma.
    You have quite the collection OD image

Thanks Stealer! After browsing this thread, it appears there are many fine TD collections among the members of this board. I was definitely bitten by the TD bug and have found new joy in coin collecting as a result. The more I learn about these coins and the surrounding history, the more I appreciate them. You've also got a fairly short series along with some great varieties so there's lots of upside and opportunity for enjoyment. I still can't believe how few some of these dates have been graded. Take the 75p, 120 graded at PCGS. Compare that to the Morgan series, which of course is much more collected and was preserved in banks for decades. Take a key date like the 93-S Morgan which has been graded over 4,000 times at PCGS, orders of magnitude higher. It's really quite fascinating from a rarity standpoint how few some of the trade dollar dates remain.
  • Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    imageimage
    Ed

<< <i>imageimage >>

Nice! image

That coin has "designed by Barber" written all over it, much more recognizable (similar to his other designs) than the pattern that was eventually selected.
    This one has a lot going for it

<< <i>Thanks Stealer! After browsing this thread, it appears there are many fine TD collections among the members of this board. I was definitely bitten by the TD bug and have found new joy in coin collecting as a result. The more I learn about these coins and the surrounding history, the more I appreciate them. You've also got a fairly short series along with some great varieties so there's lots of upside and opportunity for enjoyment. I still can't believe how few some of these dates have been graded. Take the 75p, 120 graded at PCGS. Compare that to the Morgan series, which of course is much more collected and was preserved in banks for decades. Take a key date like the 93-S Morgan which has been graded over 4,000 times at PCGS, orders of magnitude higher. It's really quite fascinating from a rarity standpoint how few some of the trade dollar dates remain. >>

I agree with you Dan, it is almost a blessing that they are the 3CN of silver Dollars image The history behind coins like these is fascinating to me
    Super nice Trades!image
    I like this: "the 3CN of silver dollars". image

Wow this post is sooo close to 200, I will put up a little tease of a coin I have at PCGS currently and will write a full post when I get it back. Note it is a type 1/2 no 1/1

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Seriously, an 1875p Type 1/1 with hole? Do you think that was a business strike or proof issue? Wow either way!!!

<< <i>Wow this post is sooo close to 200, I will put up a little tease of a coin I have at PCGS currently and will write a full post when I get it back. Note it is a type 1/2 no 1/1

image >>

Crypto I don't know how you do it but somehow you find the rarest of the rare trade dollars. Double struck, with chop marks, traveled round trip to china and still in mint state. Amazing.
    Oh man that hurts to look at HoledAndCreative image

<< <i>imageimage >>

Looks like a proof to my eyes but wow and I would bet the mirrors are still there, super cool coin

<< <i>And while we are waiting for the 76-S DDO to appear, here is a nice chopmarked example:
    image >>

Nice coin DDR, looks like a re-punched 6 on that one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file