Home Precious Metals
Options

Krugerrand value?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't do a whole lot with bullion especially foreign and need some help...

If I accept a few raw 1 once krugerrands as trade what should I consider their value image

Thanks in advance! image
To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I love the Krugs, they are the most recognized worldwide, though, they are "just" gold.
    In a fair trade with somebody I know, I would value them as spot+2/3%.
    I think a B&M would buy under melt.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider their value as spot in a trade.... One Troy ounce of gold, alloyed with copper to make a 22K coin. Spot would be fair. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    I sold one of these at a B&M awhile back. It was 95% of spot.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spread for Kruggerands changes, just like it does for any bullion coin. In general the premiums are less than for AGEs or Gold Maples, but the spreads are similar.

When I'm interested, I just check a couple bullion dealer listing, like Tulving, Silvertowne, or Apmex to see what the spreads and premiums are doing.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    APMEX on 2012 K'rands...buy back is spot +$30 per oz ---- Selling at $70 over spot
    Random years...spot +$5 per oz ----- selling $40 over spot & I suspect it's competitive with the other big boys

B&M offering 95% of spot is a rip off.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My local guy sells them at melt when he has them.
  • Options

<< <i>APMEX on 2012 K'rands...buy back is spot +$30 per oz ---- Selling at $70 over spot
    Random years...spot +$5 per oz ----- selling $40 over spot & I suspect it's competitive with the other big boys

B&M offering 95% of spot is a rip off. >>

image Even NTR Metals is paying 98% for clean scrap.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone this really helps! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love krands. And I love that they seem to trade at spot. They're a big, big gold coin that was meant to be spent and meant to be valued at their gold value as it fluctuated. That's just plain cool.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love krands. And I love that they seem to trade at spot. They're a big, big gold coin that was meant to be spent and meant to be valued at their gold value as it fluctuated. That's just plain cool. >>

They were NOT meant to be spent.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    my local B&M pays 95% for them
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    melt would be a fair price
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    K-Rands carried a stigma due to apartheid and were banned for importation into this country for that reason. When apartheid was eliminated and the whites lost political power in South Africa, K-Rands were once again allowed to be imported but the stigma remains even to this day.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I love krands. And I love that they seem to trade at spot. They're a big, big gold coin that was meant to be spent and meant to be valued at their gold value as it fluctuated. That's just plain cool. >>

They were NOT meant to be spent. >>

The Krugerrand was introduced in 1967 as a vehicle for private ownership of gold. Unusually for bullion coins, the Krugerrand was intended to circulate as currency. To this end, it was minted in a more durable copper-gold alloy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krugerrand

Intended for use as a common coin, the Krugerrand was minted using 22 carat gold alloy to make it stand up to the rigors of daily use.

http://www.gold-traders.co.uk/krugerrand-gold-coins.asp
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
    Very helpful to me as I had no previous basis, except what I see on Apmex.

Was looking in my local coin shop, that was asking %1.03 of spot.
    Did not realize it was alloyed at 22k either.
    COA
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure that you weigh them. There are fakes out there. Proper weight is 33.93grams, 32.6mm diameter
    and 2.84mm thick, for the one ounce Krugerrand.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

They were NOT meant to be spent. >>

The Krugerrand was introduced in 1967 as a vehicle for private ownership of gold. Unusually for bullion coins, the Krugerrand was intended to circulate as currency. To this end, it was minted in a more durable copper-gold alloy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krugerrand

Intended for use as a common coin, the Krugerrand was minted using 22 carat gold alloy to make it stand up to the rigors of daily use.

http://www.gold-traders.co.uk/krugerrand-gold-coins.asp >>

I don't buy it. They were made with exactly 1 Troy ounce of gold to facilitate the selling and hoarding of gold as bullion which was one of the major products produced in South Africa. I've never seen a K-Rand that was in circulated condition from the rigors of daily use.

• Options

<< <i>Intended for use as a common coin, the Krugerrand was minted using 22 carat gold alloy to make it stand up to the rigors of daily use. >>

No mystery here, the prior gold sovereigns, ponds, and rands produced in the county were all 22k.

They merely introduced a product in a composition that people were already accustomed to.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically , we buy em at 3% back of spot, and sell for spot. Although I rarely sell K-rands locally, folks dont want em, they want eagles. But the market changes slightly.

APMEX is currently paying spot + 5.00, but the national (and with in driving distance)guy I deal with is paying spot. I bought 19 yesterday and could have sold them for spot plus 5.oo to apmex, but that would have taken 3 weeks to turn the $, whereas I sold them at spot today, and transaction is completed. Its not worth 5.00 extra per oz to tie up 31k in cash for 3 weeks.

Now , if I get in say american eagles in quantity, apmex is ususally 35-44 over spot whereas the other company I deal with is spot + 10 buck, then its worthe the extra $ to wait out 3 weeks for payment.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Intended for use as a common coin, the Krugerrand was minted using 22 carat gold alloy to make it stand up to the rigors of daily use. >>

No mystery here, the prior gold sovereigns, ponds, and rands produced in the county were all 22k.

They merely introduced a product in a composition that people were already accustomed to. >>

They all contain 1 toz of .999 gold. That's why they weigh almost 34 grams. (33.93)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I don't think they were made to be spent.
    If I recall correctly (Wikipedia would then be wrong), South Africa minted gold in a form of a coin (legal tender) because the US law forbade US citizens to own gold bars but allow them to own foreign gold coins.
    I may be wrong.

edited to add: Wikipedia Italy says it the way I remember but adds that they were anyway banished after Western countries issued sanctions because of the apartheid.
  • Options
    It was intended to circulate as currency therefore it was minted in a more durable gold alloy, Unlike most other bullion coins, Krugerrands have no face value, its legal tender value is the bullion value of its metal at the current market price of gold. The Krugerrand was the first bullion coin to have this kind of legal tender value. It was also the first gold coin to contain precisely one ounce of fine gold.
    http://www.coin-rare.com/krugerrand.aspx

The krugerrand is a South African gold bullion coin that was first produced in 1967 and is a legal tender gold coin, meaning that it can be used as currency to pay for goods or services.

Because the value of gold can fluctuate quite markedly the krugerrand was not issued with a face value, rather it's purchasing power as a legal tender coin is based on the market value of gold at any given time. Because gold prices change constantly, krugerrand prices change constantly also.

This is to address the problem that otherwise the coin could sometimes have a face value in excess of it's gold content, and other times it may have a value worth far less than it's gold content value.
    http://www.krugerrands.org.uk/

--Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>It was intended to circulate as currency therefore it was minted in a more durable gold alloy, Unlike most other bullion coins, Krugerrands have no face value, its legal tender value is the bullion value of its metal at the current market price of gold. The Krugerrand was the first bullion coin to have this kind of legal tender value. It was also the first gold coin to contain precisely one ounce of fine gold.
    http://www.coin-rare.com/krugerrand.aspx

The krugerrand is a South African gold bullion coin that was first produced in 1967 and is a legal tender gold coin, meaning that it can be used as currency to pay for goods or services.

Because the value of gold can fluctuate quite markedly the krugerrand was not issued with a face value, rather it's purchasing power as a legal tender coin is based on the market value of gold at any given time. Because gold prices change constantly, krugerrand prices change constantly also.

This is to address the problem that otherwise the coin could sometimes have a face value in excess of it's gold content, and other times it may have a value worth far less than it's gold content value.
    http://www.krugerrands.org.uk/ >>

Sounds like you are describing the AGE's except they do have a face value in addition to being a legal tender coin. In fact they have the same size, weight, and fineness as the Krugger Rand that they intended to replace.

• Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭

<< <i>APMEX on 2012 K'rands...buy back is spot +$30 per oz ---- Selling at $70 over spot

I know 95% of spot isn't the best price, But there is something to be said for cash in hand in a few minutes.
  • Options

I never understood why current year 2012 demands a higher premium than random years.image can anyone explain?
  • Options

<< <i>

I never understood why current year 2012 demands a higher premium than random years.image can anyone explain? >>

Because every kid wants the new stuff! image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    although we buy at 3% back, 5% back is not a rip off if someone needs to sell quickly. if the person selling needs money that quick, then he has to take what he can get quickly, if not why doesnt he wait and sell to a place that pays tighter like apmex.

Ill tell you why:

1st as I mentioned, seller wants the money right then and now!!
    2nd, in some cases they dont want to have to report the sale!!

One other thing, I dont know about your area, but Ill bet if you had 15-20 krands and needed to sell em that day, there are very few places that could handle the transaction. There are three coin shops here locally, two could not buy em without making arrangments to get payment from their buyer first before actually buying em.

I have had this situation many times, where people have come in wanting spot on various gold bullion, I am usually a few points behind, I always tell them if they want spot or even over, to take them to apmex or a few other national dealers. They dont want to wait , they want it sell it then and now.

• Options

<< <i>

Sounds like you are describing the AGE's except they do have a face value in addition to being a legal tender coin. In fact they have the same size, weight, and fineness as the Krugger Rand that they intended to replace. >>

No, that's the exact opposite of the Krugerrand. The legal tender face value on the gold eagle is $50--a ludicrously small amount relative to their gold value from the first day they were minted until this very moment. They were never intended to be spent or valued anywhere near their legal tender dollar value. That's why it's called "NCLT", or Non-Circulating Legal Tender. Nobody would ever dream of spending them for $50.

If gold eagles were legal tender but had no face value, and you backed up the truck at $400 an ounce, spending them at $1650 would make sense and would offer tremendous advantages in certain situations.

Krugerrands, on the other hand, were designed specifically to be legal tender and to have no set face value, so that their currency value and purchasing power would always equal their gold value. It's an absolutely brilliant concept.

Krugerrands may not be spent often, but that doesn't change the fact that are legal tender and were designed to circulate and to have a value equal to the value of an ounce of gold.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The legal tender face value on the gold eagle is $50--a ludicrously small amount relative to their gold value from the first day they were minted until this very moment. They were never intended to be spent or valued anywhere near their legal tender dollar value. That's why it's called "NCLT", or Non-Circulating Legal Tender.

This is to put a "floor" under the value of the coin in terms of dollars.

Nobody would ever dream of spending them for $50.

Unless, say, someone someday figures out how to use some kind of solar or wave powered device to economically mine gold from sea water... or develops a robot miner that flies to an asteroid and shoots gold bricks back to earth... or someone figures out a way to mine so deep that they hit a mother lode... or the aliens finally make contact and they bring limitless amounts of gold to buy our quaint earth-made crafts.. or...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry