Home Sports Talk
Options

2012 SF Giants discussion: NL West Champs

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Gone are the days of a 25yr old vs a 42yr old going almost through the 16th pitching shutouts. >>

Long gone. Apparently Marichal threw over 200 pitches in that game. Today, a manager would get fired for letting his 25 year old ace do that.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Heh, what the difference an offense makes! Brandon Crawford is batting <.200, and I haven't really noticed. image However, I do notice Huff is sucking, but probably because he's blocking two guys who might do better.

It's sad, the guy was a hero in the 2010 season, and I'd rather see someone else at 1st other than him... and I NEVER want to see him at 2nd base EVER AGAIN!

• Options

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Burriss to Crawford to Belt! >>

That play is definitely headed for the highlight reel. It saved at least 2ER off of Lincecum's stats and made his performance appear decent on paper. True he struck out 8 and only gave up 1ER in 5IP but he also got into plenty of jams and threw 108 pitches in only 5 innings.

Through 18 games I've concluded that the Giants lineup can hit and score on mediocre pitching but they're still hapless against quality pitchers. Today's game against Matt Latos and last week against Halladay prove that.

Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Through 18 games I've concluded that the Giants lineup can hit and score on mediocre pitching but they're still hapless against quality pitchers. Today's game against Matt Latos and last week against Halladay prove that. >>

Hasty conclusions. Way to early to tell anything. Latos got lucky. He faced a team had just finished playing a double-header, and arrived in Cinci at 3 am.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Through 18 games I've concluded that the Giants lineup can hit and score on mediocre pitching but they're still hapless against quality pitchers. Today's game against Matt Latos and last week against Halladay prove that. >>

Hasty conclusions. Way to early to tell anything. Latos got lucky. He faced a team had just finished playing a double-header, and arrived in Cinci at 3 am. >>

Yes it's early in the season but if last season was any indicator you don't expect much to change between now and September. As of now they've lost against Ian Kennedy, Roy Halladay and Matt Latos. They haven't beat a single decent pitcher other than Cliff Lee (actually that game was an ND for him) and in that game they scored one whole run.

Whether Latos is considered an above average pitcher or not is debatable but one thing's for sure, he's had a good history against the Giants.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>As of now they've lost against Ian Kennedy, Roy Halladay and Matt Latos. >>

Giants tagged Kennedy for 3 runs, and Halladay for 2.

Both of those games were lost due to Tim Lincecum having bad 1st innings. I don't think that this weirdness will last. He'll break through it.

vs Kennedy: 1st inning runs = 3, final score 4-5
    vs Halladay: 1st inning runs = 4, final score 2-5

• Options

<< <i>Both of those games were lost due to Tim Lincecum having bad 1st innings. I don't think that this weirdness will last. He'll break through i >>

He better. If he doesn't soon his new nickname will be "Stoner Barry Zito".
  • Options
    Uuuuggghhhh.

Crawford landed on his arm awkwardly last night during a weird play and took a few moments to recover.

It just broke that shortstop Joaquin Arias is getting called up from AAA Fresno for today's game.

This could mean one of two things:

1) Crawford's going to the DL
    2) Huff's getting deactivated (he's been away from the team for the past 3 games on personal matters.

There's a few spots open on the 40 man roster, so they don't have to DFA anyone.

Arias has no minor league options, so they'll need to wave him to get him off the team.

From what I gathered, Arias has the potential to be a good defensive SS, but was apparently Velez-ish with the Rangers.

Fun fact: in the trade that sent A-Rod to the Yanks and Alfonso Soriano to the Rangers, the Rangers were also getting a "Player to be named later". The Rangers chose between two Yankees prospects and decided on Joaquin Arias. The guy they passed on was Robinson Cano. WHOOPS!

2004 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor AU

• Options
    It appears that this is all about Huff's absence. The team isn't saying anything, but obviously something serious is up if the team is going to call someone without options up.

Huff was wretched in NY, so some sort of private family emergency could help explain why he was wretched.

• Options
    So how long is Huff supposedly leaving the team?

Also Freddy Sanchez has or is supposed to begin rehab in San Jose. Is there a timetable for his return?
  • Options

<< <i>So how long is Huff supposedly leaving the team? >>

There's nothing "supposedly" about it, he caught a plane to Florida on Monday morning.

No word yet, but they'll announce it this afternoon, since they need to make a roster move with Huff before they activate Arias.

<< <i>Also Freddy Sanchez has or is supposed to begin rehab in San Jose. Is there a timetable for his return? >>

He's already played 2 rehab games in SJ, but only as a DH. He's supposed to start fielding this week. His target return date is May 11th.

• Options
    Huff on the 15-day DL with an "anxiety disorder."

WTF?

Boch says that the team's getting him treatment.

I didn't see that one coming. Creative use of the DL, or did Huff snap?

edit to add: Oh, he's going through a divorce. I suppose that sort of thing could mess with your head.

Boch said that he's probably gonna call up a non-roster guy for a spot-start on Friday.

Eric Hacker, Brian Burres, and Travis Blackley are the 3 guys who Boch is probably picking from. They're rested and doing well in AAA. None are prospects, but all 3 have been former Giants farm-hands prior to this season:

Eric Hacker was one of the 3 guys competing for the 5th starter spot during spring training 2010. Todd Wellemeyer ended up winning that job. Hacker has pitched a total of 8.1 innings in the major leagues since coming up with the Pirates in 2009.

Brian Burres was the Giants 31st round pick in the 2000 Draft. He ended up making his debut with the Orioles in 2006, and has a career line of 18-25, 5.75 era, 1.624 whip in 358 innings.

Travis Blackley actually started 2 games for the Giants back in 2007. He hasn't been in the majors since.

• Options
    So, it'll be Eric Hacker.

I'm guessing Boch wanted a righty instead of a lefty (who Blackley and Burres both are).

Hacker's numbers: 4 games, 4-0, 2.19 era, 1.054 whip, 2.67 so/bb

vs

Blackley: 3 games, 2-0, 0.55 era, 0.735 whip, 7.0 so/bb
    Burres: 4 games, 1-1, 3.38 era, 1.208 whip, 2.14 so/bb

Hacker will be facing the Padres.

Heh, I got this card back during 2010 because I was sure he'd make the roster after Wellemeyer got hurt. Topps apparently also thought so, as they put out Eric Hacker cards with air-brushed Giants uniforms. The Giants called up MadBum instead, and the rest is history. image I tried to sell it a few times, but no one wanted it. Glad I still have it.

2008 Bowman Sterling Gold Refractor AU #/50

• Options

<< <i><< Also Freddy Sanchez has or is supposed to begin rehab in San Jose. Is there a timetable for his return? >>

He's already played 2 rehab games in SJ, but only as a DH. He's supposed to start fielding this week. His target return date is May 11th. >>

Then again...
    Freddy still hurts...

• Options
    Affeldt to the DL with a right knee sprain. I didn't see that coming. Maybe that's why he's been so bad?

edit to add: Apparently he hurt himself playing with his kid. Oy!

To take his place, Giants call up 29 year old Travis Blackley (LHP) from AAA Fresno.

Travis Blackley last pitched in the majors for the Giants(!) in 2007 when he made 2 spot starts in September, filling in for an injured Jonathan Sanchez. He basically cratered and spent the next several years bouncing around in the minors until 2011, when he went back to his native Australia and played for the Australian League (I didn't even know they had one!).

Blackley has obnoxious numbers so far:

in 3 starts and 1 relief appearance in Fresno, he's 3-0 with a save.
    23.1 ip, 0.39 era, 0.686 whip, 3 walks, 19 strikeouts, 1 run.

I doubt they'll carry over, but who knows?

2004 Bowman Chrome Gold Refractor AU /50

• Options
    Last year it was frozen burgers and now this. He's just a glutton for bizarre injuries I guess.
  • Options
    And the hapless offense scores one whole run in another sucky outing. How much longer until Matt Cain goes postal in the clubbhouse?
  • Options

<< <i>And the hapless offense scores one whole run in another sucky outing. How much longer until Matt Cain goes postal in the clubbhouse? >>

He never will. Way to classy to do that. Besides, he just re-upped for another 6 years.

Posey was surprisingly un-clutch today. That bases loaded GIDP was the nail in the coffin tonight.

• Options
    Last time the Marlins were in town they broke Posey's ankle and tonight they break his effectiveness.

Tomorrow Carlos Zambrano pitches. He's still a decent pitcher so there's another loss with one run scored. As of today have they even beaten a single decent pitcher this year?
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 5/2 Pablo hurt?

Pablo exited today's miserable game early and is getting x-rays done on his left hand, which has the whole team freaked out. I don't know what he did, but based on the beat reporters, it seems bad.

If Panda misses any time, it'll hurt the Giants BADLY.

If the Giants gave Brandon Belt a full month of manning 1st, I think he'll turn into a force. But, if they keep doing this every-other-game platoon deal, he's not going to ever find a groove.

• Options

<< <i>Tomorrow Carlos Zambrano pitches. He's still a decent pitcher so there's another loss with one run scored. As of today have they even beaten a single decent pitcher this year? >>

You called it. Zito's suckage, lack of hitting and an error sunk this game.

Tomorrow they face Anibal Sanchez. In his 2 games pitched at AT&T, he's 2-0 with both of those wins being shutouts. Go figure.

• Options
    I was travelling all day today so I missed the entire game. Did I read right: Zito walked 7 batters in 3.2 innings while throwing just short of 100 pitches? Oh brother...

I predicted they would score one run on Zambrano. Apparently they didn't even score that many on Zambrano.

I caught the last part of the news and they said Panda was wearing a brace on his wrist and is unlikely for tomorrow. Even with Panda hitting they still can't score. With him out of the lineup they have no chance.

If Anibal Sanchez pitches tomorrow that's another loss. I can't recall the Giants ever scoring a run on him and apparently that's true.
  • Options
    Back in 2010, Aaron Rowand drove in a pair of runs off of him.

• Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 5/3 Pablo out 6-8 weeks.

Last year Pablo broke his right hamate bone and missed 41 games. Now he's broken his left hamate bone and will probably be out until mid/late June. Ugh.

Well, once they take this one out, he won't have any more hamate bones to break.

• Options
    Part of me tells me this season's officially over. Even with Pablo around they'll never catch the Dodgers and they would lose every time they played Arizona. It's now a battle for third place with Colorado.

Twenty bucks that if Freddy Sanchez comes back he'll be re-injured a few weeks later. Provided that he even comes back at all I'm thinking he'll end the season back on the DL.

There is only so much good pitching can do. You can't win games without scoring runs.
  • Options

<< <i>they'll never catch the Dodgers and they would lose every time they played Arizona. >>

So, do I have you down for:
    Giants < Dodgers
    and
    0 for Arizona?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>they'll never catch the Dodgers and they would lose every time they played Arizona. >>

So, do I have you down for:
    Giants < Dodgers
    and
    0 for Arizona? >>

Unfortunately yes. Every time Kershaw pitches against the Giants it's a guaranteed win for the Dodgers, just like last year. Matt Kemp alone has so far produced more on offense than the entire Giants lineup. They'll probably win a few against Arizona but I am certain Arizona will win the season series.
  • Options
    I know it's irrational, but I have a gut feeling that Brandon Belt will prove himself to be an elite hitter by the AS break.

• Options
    Buster Posey, in the 2 games he started vs the Fish:
    0-8 at the plate, 0-7 in catching base thieves.

• Options
    The whole team's a wreck.

Lincecum seemed to get it together though, and retired 10 straight, but got lifted for a pinch hitter. Oops. The bulletproof pen from the last few years is looking like a cheap knock-off-brand version of it's former self. It looks real, but once you use it, it falls apart almost immediatly.

Well, at least we can look forward to Posey and Bumgarner making their first All Star games this year.

• Options
    At least for a few hours the sucking stopped but it took MadBum himself to get the ball rolling. The offense showed some promise at the beginning of the season but now is looking a lot like it did last year, and that is not a good thing.
  • Options
    2012 SF Giants discussion: 5/7 Guillermo Mota busted for PEDs, 100 game suspension.

I guess Mota needed help to be an mediocre MLB reliever. His WAR in his 3 seasons with the Giants is -0.6.

I imagine that they'll be recalling Danny Otero to take his spot.

• Options

<< <i>2012 SF Giants discussion: 5/7 Guillermo Mota busted for PEDs, 100 game suspension.

I guess Mota needed help to be an mediocre MLB reliever. His WAR in his 3 seasons with the Giants is -0.6.

I imagine that they'll be recalling Danny Otero to take his spot. >>

I just saw that...oh boy...

This year so far is another story but I thought he was okay for what he was the last two years. He was suspended n 2006 for the same reason.

Looks like Otero is the likely roster replacement but there is some speculation that Hembree might be given a try.
  • Options

<< <i>This year so far is another story but I thought he was okay for what he was the last two years. >>

Heh, when Mota comes in to pitch, my wife usually says "So, they're giving up?"

Mota was a good innings eater, though he may have been used as an innings eater because he's a cheap arm who they can bleed dry.

I'm not sure who'll get demoted into the mop-up role in the bullpen. Clay Hensley? Heh, maybe the Giants will trade to get Ramon Ramirez back?

• Options

<< <i>Looks like Otero is the likely roster replacement but there is some speculation that Hembree might be given a try. >>

That'd be the logical choice, but I'm not exactly sure how the timing of the option process works.

The rules state that a player who's been optioned must stay in the minors for 10 days. Otero was demoted exactly 10 days ago. So, unless he has to spend 10 full days in the minors, then he will probably come back. If he's not available until tomorrow, then maybe they're activate Huff today and go 1 man short in the pen. Tomorrow, they demote someone and call Otero back.

Question is, who do you demote to fit Huff back in? DFA'ing Huff isn't an option the Giants will take. Crawford might be the guy to get the ax, since Arias is out-hitting him, and is also a plus glove.

• Options
    Huff's activated today, so they'll go 1 man short in the pen. Kinda dangerous with Zito pitching today.

April 9 = 9 ip, 0 runs, 4 hits, 0 walks
    April 14 = 7 ip, 3 runs, 6 hits, 1 walk
    April 20 = 5 ip, 2 runs, 4 hits, 3 walks
    April 25 = 6 ip, 1 run, 5 hits, 2 walks
    May 2 = 3.2 ip, 2 runs, 2 hits, 7 walks

I wonder what Zito will show up in LA today?

• Options

<< <i>I wonder what Zito will show up in LA today? >>

Funny thing is his ERA looks pretty good on paper and anybody who only goes by stats would conclude that he's a pretty good pitcher. Of course we know otherwise.

As for tonight, as I expected they're getting destroyed by L.A. Part of me expects more of the same the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Kershaw pitches tomorrow. I'm calling it now...Giants lose, likely by shutout.
  • Options
    It's official, we have bullpen problems. However, bullpen problems don't matter when you can't score runs.

Zito didn't go nuclear on the mound today. Not a great start, but not horrid either.

I think Crawford gets demoted when the Giants decide to go with a full pen. I REALLY hate seeing Theriot starting over Burriss.

I'm not really sure how you fix what they're putting on the field.

Someone like Freddy Sanchez to put Theriot and Burriss on the bench?
    Panda to get back and kick ConError Gillaspie back to Fresno?
    Brandon Belt to change from Clark Kent into Superman and save the day?

• Options

<< <i>Kershaw pitches tomorrow. I'm calling it now...Giants lose, likely by shutout. >>

Heh, Kershaw got Lincecum'ed, and the Dodgers out-Gianted the Giants.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Kershaw pitches tomorrow. I'm calling it now...Giants lose, likely by shutout. >>

Heh, Kershaw got Lincecum'ed, and the Dodgers out-Gianted the Giants. >>

It's not a bad thing but I am in shock they beat Kershaw. Last time that happened was two seasons ago.

You're right, Kershaw pitched a Lincecum type game and got Timmy'd.
  • Options

<< <i>It's not a bad thing but I am in shock they beat Kershaw. Last time that happened was two seasons ago. You're right, Kershaw pitched a Lincecum type game and got Timmy'd. >>

A lot of that had to do with a strong in-field defense and Vogey keeping the ball down:

1st inning: Arias to Crawford to Belt
    3rd inning: Crawford to Theriot to Belt
    7th inning: Posey to Arias to Belt
    8th inning: Crawford to Theriot to Belt

I think Gillaspie's the guy heading to Fresno when they go back to a full pen.

• Options

<< <i>
    A lot of that had to do with a strong in-field defense and Vogey keeping the ball down:

1st inning: Arias to Crawford to Belt
    3rd inning: Crawford to Theriot to Belt
    7th inning: Posey to Arias to Belt
    8th inning: Crawford to Theriot to Belt

I think Gillaspie's the guy heading to Fresno when they go back to a full pen. >>

That 7th inning Posey-Arias-Belt DP was a beauty.
  • Options
    For 3 innings, Tim looked awesome. All his stuff was there in full force, then he started missing UP with a bunch of pitches, and bang, 4 run inning.

This whole RISP failure of the team is hard to figure out. They're get on base just fine, but as soon as there's someone on 2nd or 3rd, they suddenly can't hit. It's like seeing that guy standing on 2nd or 3rd throws the off or something.

• Options
    Righty reliever Shane Loux got called up from Fresno, and Theriot was put on the DL with elbow issues.

Loux was drafted by the Tigers back in 1997, and has appeared in 39 major league games over the course of his career, the last one being in 2009. He was effective in Fresno as a reliever, but that doesn't mean anything.

• Options
    Different day, same crappy team. Got destroyed by Arizona again. Still on track for a season sweep by Arizona.

Getting the feeling that this season is over.
  • Options

<< <i>Getting the feeling that this season is over. >>

Go dig up my 2010 thread and see how many times I said that.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Getting the feeling that this season is over. >>

Go dig up my 2010 thread and see how many times I said that. >>

At least back then they could sometimes beat the Padres and consistently beat the Dodgers and Arizona. As mediocre as Arizona is against the rest of baseball they completely own the Giants.

Isn't it ironic that the afterthought A's are above .500 and the Giants below?
  • Options
    Well, win or loose, the current Giants front office drafts well. The worse the year, the better the pick.

So, the Freddy Sanchez story has the org looking to see if they can convert him into a 3rd baseman for the short term.

Outside of converting a shortstop prospect, there's no real organizational depth at 2nd.

Think they'll deal for a long-term solution at 2nd before the season's over?