Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My In-Progress "Lorne Greene Label" Ponderosa Carson City Type Set (Updated 1-27-15)

1-27-2015 Update: Included are recent photos taken by Todd at the 2015 FUN Show -- look for the With Arrows Type Coin [1873-CC Half Dollar], the Ten Dollars [1892-CC] and the Twenty Dollars, Type 2 [1876-CC].

4-17-2014 Update: I received many nice comments while recently exhibiting this set at the Georgia Numismatic Association's 50th Anniversary Coin Show, held April 11-13, 2014, in Dalton, GA. In addition to the coins, I had some related ephemera on display. These included an 1874 Bullion Receipt from the Carson City Mint (for over 11,000 ounces of silver) and an 1877 Certificate of Deposit from the the Carson City Savings Bank for $80.00 ($20.00 in silver and $60.00 in gold). Also included was an 1888 Rand, McNally & Co. map of the State of Nevada and a number of photographs from the NBC television series "Bonanza," featuring the Cartwright clan.

As I was busy much of the time with my show duties (as Educational Exhibits Manager), I had little time to search for coins on the bourse floor. Not to worry: a friend mentioned (while viewing my exhibit) that he had a green label 1876-CC (Type 2) Twenty that would fill one of the holes in the set. On Saturday morning he retrieved the piece from his safe deposit box and brought it to the show. I liked it a lot and soon the piece changed hands. I will get Todd to image it later. The images are courtesy of BluCC Photos and Coin Rarities Online...

Map of the Ponderosa Ranch in the Nevada Territory

The Ponderosa Ranch House, Home of the Cartwrights

Adam, Little Joe, Ben, and Hoss Cartwright

Adam and Ben Cartwright flank their beloved family cook, Hop Sing.

Dime, CC Below Wreath:

Dime, CC Above Wreath: Needed

Twenty Cents:

Quarter:

The Quarter's images are a bit dark, so I'm also including CRO's version:
imageimage

Arrows at Date Type Coin:

Half Dollar:

Seated Liberty Dollar:

Trade Dollar: Needed

Hop Sing's Chop-Marked Trade Dollar: Needed

Morgan Dollar, Flat Eagle's Breast (ex-Amon Carter):

Morgan Dollar, Round Eagle's Breast:

Margan Dollar, Top VAM: 1890-CC Tail Bar Needed

Five Dollars:

Ten Dollars:

Twenty Dollars, Type 2:

Twenty Dollars, Type 3:
"Clamorous for Coin"

Comments

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Beautiful set you are working on there. Thank you for sharing.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    TAMU15TAMU15 Posts: 577 ✭✭
    call it the in progress OGH CC type set (; love the coins, and the holders!

B
  • Options
    Very good!
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed image
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun set, looks like you're also targeting original green holders? I like your dime a lot.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking collection! I bet that half dollar really looks great in person!
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG---OGH---CC---WOW what's not to like about that. Congrats and thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking set and Todd's the guy to image it. That seated half is about as pretty an AU50 as I've seen posted on here.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! Are you going after every dollar as well? Seated and trade?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Congrats on the progress - very nice. Quite a challenge in OGH's.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done GK!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like CC coins.. (not sure why) great set you are assembling... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking coins. Love the dime.
  • Options
    LVGTLVGT Posts: 503
    Sweet set.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    GeorgeKelloggGeorgeKellogg Posts: 1,251 ✭✭

<< <i>Very nice! Are you going after every dollar as well? Seated and trade? >>

I hope to be able to find nice Seated Liberty and Trade Dollars to go in the set. Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the ’93-CC double eagle. Splashes of color are often found on CC double eagles in the 1890’s, though the coloration is not usually as attractive as your example.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great so far, they drip originality. Very fine photos by Todd.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    OP Update: I hit a "dry spell" for a 14 month period, where I found nothing for my Ponderosa Green Label CC Type Set. Then, all of a sudden, beginning in June, I purchased in rapid succession nice examples of the $10, $5, Seated Liberty Dollar, and Seated Liberty Quarter (all one-at-a-time). Now I am only one coin away (Trade Dollar) from completing the 10-Piece Type Set, although I'd like to expand it to 15 coins, by adding some major varieties.

This set has been a lot of fun and has eased some of the frustration of trying to complete my Dahlonega gold set. I'll add the new coin photos to the original post, as soon as I can get Todd to shoot them.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dad Gummit!!! I love it! There all fine lookers, every last one of 'em. Would have made Ben proud!
  • Options
    There is an OGH 77cc Trade in the coming HA auction in 58 but I would recommend against it as a nice coin, it is way to light and too processed for the current market's tastes. Have you seen the 76cc Doubled Die Rev Trade Dollar. It is the king of the CC errors IMO. Your DE is amazing BTW, cool set
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful set image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    I have added some recent additions to my "in-progress" green label CC Type Set to the first post.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    Very nice, indeed!

bob
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it!

The half, I think, is my favorite. The SLD is a close second. Last year I bought a nice CC 20-cent in PCGS 45 for the type, and now I want to do all the denominations like you have done. Great set!
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 1870 dollar - this is example of how a circulated coin can be IMO preferable to a low grade unc piece aesthetically.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Awesome set image

Thanks for sharing your progressimage
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Your thread brings back fond childhood memories of watching that TV show.
    Nice presentation.
  • Options
    The set has been updated in the Original Post...
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    Sure is nice! Love that Mint mark!

bobimage
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The set has been updated in the Original Post... >>

Thanks for the updating. Here are some photos I took this month which update your Ponderosa theme as well. The paddle wheeler at Lake Tahoe is reportedly the one that replaced one of same or similar name that was filmed in the Bonanza TV series. The other view is Cave Rock on the shores of Lake Tahoe taken just a few miles north of where the

Bonanza filmed Paddle Wheeler would have been docked.

• Options
    Thanks, northcoin, for the neat on-scene update from Lake Tahoe! The scenery is gorgeous and was one of the appealing aspects of the Bonanza TV series!
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Your thread brings back fond childhood memories of watching that TV show.
    Nice presentation. >>

Best show ever...and wonderful coin set.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man, i would love to see that display. nice work. all the coins are very nice. it's hard to pick one out to comment on...but that twenty cent piece...sweet!

i never was a fan of the tv show. i tried watching it a bunch, but never could get into it. however, i really like the idea of set and i especially like the coins you have picked!
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Your thread brings back fond childhood memories of watching that TV show.
    Nice presentation. >>

Best show ever...and wonderful coin set. >>

• Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The set has been updated in the Original Post... >>

Excellentimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong year for the double dime ... image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic!
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful set, The 93-CC $10 looks to be way undergraded to my eyes. Should easily get a Gold sticker.Looks 53 to me.
    Trade $'s
  • Options

<< <i>Beautiful set, The 93-CC $10 looks to be way undergraded to my eyes. Should easily get a Gold sticker.Looks 53 to me. >>

In the early days of the TPGs, they were especially tough on grading dirty, original gold. Unfortunately, that led to a lot of the aforementioned being dipped, much to the chagrin of the sophisticated collector of rare date gold.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I really really really like all of your coins...I just finished Version 1 of my own 10 coin run. I went for a slightly different look than yours, but overall the appearance of your "whole" set looks really well matched, incredibly well matched, actually.

Congrats!!
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great set. I like your sliver the best.

Oh huh, nevermind I missed the compass rose on that map. image
  • Options

<< <i>That's a great set. I like your sliver the best.

Oh huh, nevermind I missed the compass rose on that map. image >>

Thanks for all of the very nice comments. Putting together the set has truly been a labor of love. I started the CC Type Set in part to relieve the frustration associated with my Dahlonega set (I'm about two-thirds finished), where it can be tough finding anything that you can use.

BTW, the map referred to above is the one used in the opening credits of "Bonanza," as well as being on the wall behind Ben Cartwright's desk.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely cool group!
    Among some others, that Carter 78-CC certainly looks undergraded.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Very Very Nice!

Erik

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file