Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1918 Buffalo nickel newp....

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello,

It's been a while since I've run across a Buffalo Nickel on e-bay that I was willing to go large to acquire. This one being raw along with not ever dealing with this seller before really made it hard to pull the trigger, but I poured over this coin for quite a long time before doing so. I down loaded the sellers images to my photo album and edited it every which way I could and it always passed the test, so I took a chance and got very aggressive with my bid, I won this beauty for less than you would imagine IF your familiar with the Buffalo Nickel series.

The 1918-P is a very tough coin in gem or better, all kinds of problems plagued the 1918 Buffs mainly from planchet lamination. At any rate I just received this one today and I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks for taking the time to look and all comments are more than welcome as always....All the best....Joe

imageimage
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure can sniff'em out Joe! image
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    nice newp, anytime you get a newp, I already know that its gonna be awesome
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 18-P is such a tough Phily coin to find nice. This one looks great. Strike and luster both look really nice and there's the bonus of some chin whiskers. I won't guess grade since it is raw, but you have to be pleased. Great job.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    nice write on a great looking buff there.
    the reverse is to me exceptionally strong for early year buff's
    the obverse even though not that detailed in hair...liberty is as crisp and strong as an early buff can get
    i like how even the fields are too in which look to be laced with that matte proof type of pebbling

sweet buff my friend
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely nice Joe. Isn't that herd getting a little too big to handle? Better send it here.
  • Options

<< <i>Extremely nice Joe. Isn't that herd getting a little too big to handle? Better send it here. >>

image Some are coming your way soon my friend....Joe
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    Thats a nice 18p.... check the e pluribus unum, looks like you might have a double die reverseimage
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks really clean. I don't see anything keeping that out of a 65 or 65+ holder.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. The central obverse never seems to crackle on these and yours follows form. The reverse strike is good. What's truly high grade, though, is the luster. It really shimmers. I'd love to know what grade this would fetch if submitted.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another really beautiful Buffalo, Joe.image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice one for sure! image
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    MS65
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    That's one sweet Buffalo Nickel. Raw and on the Bay?

Nice catch.
    Garrow
  • Options

Looks original.Outstanding strike! I bet PCGS would grade that an MS66.

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find... looks MS65.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great find and a killer Buff!!
    I really like it and am always excited to see fine examples from what is likely my favorite series.
    As others have said, and I agree, is that the reverse is especially 'striking'- with a very strong strike.
    One of the little indicators I like is the visualization of the forked tail tip...
    This one is sharp and strong with great color too! Thanks for sharing and image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't say much more than whats already been saidimage.It's
    a boomer.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the responses. Now let me tell ya seeing how I have an edge on the matter because I have the coin in hand, I'm going ALL INN MS-66 all the way with this one and if it doesn't come back 66 I'll crack it out and send it back in till they get it right....Thanks again....Joe

Just look at that reverse and this is behind plastic...
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    that dot behind cents might hold it back from 66 land
    but enough resubmits raw...ya never know

believe me...take no offense in my comment
    with any luck here...it might grab some deeper grade insights on learning...not only for me

i love buffs
    don't know the specific's of year/date issues envolved

just asking humbly here...you ol krazy hound dawg
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Joe,
    This one is mine in a PCGS 65 holder. Compare the Indian's hair knot and detail on the bison's head/back/tail with your coin. I favor the strike on my coin, but the luster on your piece is fantastic and let's face it: luster/finish gets the nod over strike from the graders in my experience. Your coin shows a lot of promise!
    For some education, here are some Really terrific remarks on my coin from Mark Hooton, who I sadly haven't seen around here in a while:
    "Middle die state, to late middle die state, with a great deal of die erosion through the hair, face, and neck of the Indian, also near the rims (obverse and reverse) and in the peripheral areas of the reverse devices. Soft on the high points, and the obverse idde had been lapped once or so, as the tip of the long feather is not as raised from the field as it can be. You'll also note that lapping has made LIBERTY less bold than the reverse lettering, which show signs of swelling (heat + die erosion). A coin that could have a lot of luster, but the die erosion has likely disrupted many of the flow lines that would lead to a great cartwheel. The carbon is minor, but noticeable. I'd call it a 65, max, but could go either direction from that, depending on the way the wind is blowing when it gets graded again. I might try cracking it and giving it a mild and quick dip before re-submission."
    imageimage
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    What is the rectangular looking thing below the jaw on Joe's coin?
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful!
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the rectangular looking thing below the jaw on Joe's coin? >>

Chin whiskers. Die clash from the E Pluribus Unum from the reverse. You can also see the effect of the Chief's jaw on the reverse at EPU.

Here's another example on one of mine (one of these days, we should start a thread of chin whisker Buffs and see how many different dates we can find):

If you look closely at Joe's coin, what is very cool is you can see the P and the L in Pluribus next to the Chief's neck and you can see the corresponding vertical line of the Indian's neck next to the Pluribus on the reverse.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    You take some wicket photosimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats some nice coin, i like
  • Options
    Middle die state, to late middle die state, with a great deal of die erosion through the hair, face, and neck of the Indian, also near the rims (obverse and reverse) and in the peripheral areas of the reverse devices. Soft on the high points, and the obverse idde had been lapped once or so, as the tip of the long feather is not as raised from the field as it can be. You'll also note that lapping has made LIBERTY less bold than the reverse lettering, which show signs of swelling (heat + die erosion). A coin that could have a lot of luster, but the die erosion has likely disrupted many of the flow lines that would lead to a great cartwheel. The carbon is minor, but noticeable. I'd call it a 65, max, but could go either direction from that, depending on the way the wind is blowing when it gets graded again. I might try cracking it and giving it a mild and quick dip before re-submission."

It's clear this gentleman knows his way around the Buffalo Nickel series, but I have some concerns. First off , I sure don't know what the heck he's talking about when it comes to the "tip of the long feather" not being raised from the field? What in the heck does he want I ask you? Looks just fine to me..... And this part!!....."I might try cracking it and giving it a mild and quick dip before re-submission." This HURTS the coin in my opinion....

On this coin I'm showing here the luster is very strong, near booming, the coin is boldly struck for the date that along with the lack of blemishes brings me to my decision. And I would like to thank all who has participated on this particular coin as it has been educational for me as some of you guy's and gal's are pretty Sharp on this wonderful series that I find so enjoyable.

• Options

<< <i>that dot behind cents might hold it back from 66 land
    but enough resubmits raw...ya never know

believe me...take no offense in my comment
    with any luck here...it might grab some deeper grade insights on learning...not only for me

i love buffs
    don't know the specific's of year/date issues envolved

just asking humbly here...you ol krazy hound dawg >>

That little dot your your talking about appears to be a carbon spot but I'm not so sure as it looks as if I could just flip it off, but not me pal image I'm not touching it, bad luck I have!! At any rate I very much appreciate you pointing this out as I didn't even see it , or notice it until you pointed it out. These images are blown up to the size of a dinner plate and makes it easier to see any imperfections.... Thanks again to all as I love to soak as much of this up as I can. And as far as the dot hindering the grade, I really don't think it will as it's quite small.....Joe
  • Options

<< <i>I can't grade these, don't know the series. but after reading the how you acquired it story and upon seeing the phenom pics I must say i absolutely love it, even I am excited about it. >>

I love to purchase Buffs raw!! I love the series and the more you dive into it the more ya feel comfortabe buying raw. It's a teasure hunt for me and a whole heck of a lotta fun. Thank you for your comments bud....Joe
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    very nice ! looks like a real gem to me !
  • Options

<< <i>Middle die state, to late middle die state, with a great deal of die erosion through the hair, face, and neck of the Indian, also near the rims (obverse and reverse) and in the peripheral areas of the reverse devices. Soft on the high points, and the obverse idde had been lapped once or so, as the tip of the long feather is not as raised from the field as it can be. You'll also note that lapping has made LIBERTY less bold than the reverse lettering, which show signs of swelling (heat + die erosion). A coin that could have a lot of luster, but the die erosion has likely disrupted many of the flow lines that would lead to a great cartwheel. The carbon is minor, but noticeable. I'd call it a 65, max, but could go either direction from that, depending on the way the wind is blowing when it gets graded again. I might try cracking it and giving it a mild and quick dip before re-submission."

It's clear this gentleman knows his way around the Buffalo Nickel series, but I have some concerns. First off , I sure don't know what the heck he's talking about when it comes to the "tip of the long feather" not being raised from the field? What in the heck does he want I ask you? Looks just fine to me..... And this part!!....."I might try cracking it and giving it a mild and quick dip before re-submission." This HURTS the coin in my opinion....

On this coin I'm showing here the luster is very strong, near booming, the coin is boldly struck for the date that along with the lack of blemishes brings me to my decision. And I would like to thank all who has participated on this particular coin as it has been educational for me as some of you guy's and gal's are pretty Sharp on this wonderful series that I find so enjoyable. >>

Joe, here's what I think Hoot means by the "tip of the long feather." Look at how the feather is raised from the field on this coin in NGC MS66. When he was appraising my coin (which wound up PCGS MS65), he spied this weakness, among others, and hinted there are graders who notice such things. The luster on your piece may very well compensate for this, and hopefully will draw the MS66 you're looking for.
    Incidentally, I doubt the carbon spot near "cents" that was alluded to earlier would be much of a factor in holding this back from 66. It's just too darned incidental. Things like this might hold a 67 candidate back to 66, but wouldn't hold a 66 back to 65. Just my opinion. Best of luck!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Middle die state, to late middle die state, with a great deal of die erosion through the hair, face, and neck of the Indian, also near the rims (obverse and reverse) and in the peripheral areas of the reverse devices. Soft on the high points, and the obverse idde had been lapped once or so, as the tip of the long feather is not as raised from the field as it can be. You'll also note that lapping has made LIBERTY less bold than the reverse lettering, which show signs of swelling (heat + die erosion). A coin that could have a lot of luster, but the die erosion has likely disrupted many of the flow lines that would lead to a great cartwheel. The carbon is minor, but noticeable. I'd call it a 65, max, but could go either direction from that, depending on the way the wind is blowing when it gets graded again. I might try cracking it and giving it a mild and quick dip before re-submission."

On this coin I'm showing here the luster is very strong, near booming, the coin is boldly struck for the date that along with the lack of blemishes brings me to my decision. And I would like to thank all who has participated on this particular coin as it has been educational for me as some of you guy's and gal's are pretty Sharp on this wonderful series that I find so enjoyable. >>

Joe, here's what I think Hoot means by the "tip of the long feather." Look at how the feather is raised from the field on this coin in NGC MS66. When he was appraising my coin (which wound up PCGS MS65), he spied this weakness, among others, and hinted there are graders who notice such things. The luster on your piece may very well compensate for this, and hopefully will draw the MS66 you're looking for.
    Incidentally, I doubt the carbon spot near "cents" that was alluded to earlier would be much of a factor in holding this back from 66. It's just too darned incidental. Things like this might hold a 67 candidate back to 66, but wouldn't hold a 66 back to 65. Just my opinion. Best of luck!
    imageimage >>

WOW!! That's a real beauty...Thank you for all the pointers....You da man.....Joe
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Really great Buffalo as always CHD. Keep 'em comin'!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    You said you were going "all-in" on this piece for MS66, back in March. I'm assuming it graded less and that you're still trying. How about an update on this very special coin?

<< <i>Thank you all for the responses. Now let me tell ya seeing how I have an edge on the matter because I have the coin in hand, I'm going ALL INN MS-66 all the way with this one and if it doesn't come back 66 I'll crack it out and send it back in till they get it right....Thanks again....Joe

Just look at that reverse and this is behind plastic... >>

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Now that is one heck of a Buff!! Congrats Joe!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin doesn't have the noticeable, but not obnoxious, hit in the Bison's midsection that one often sees in MS 66s of this series. I forget whether the coin is raw or not, but I would not recommend cracking coins out of holders and sending them in. You can wind up paying more in fees than the coin is worth, and still not get it in the 'right' holder.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Was there a party I missed?.......did it come back 66?
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Joe, we are all waiting for a response.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>You said you were going "all-in" on this piece for MS66, back in March. I'm assuming it graded less and that you're still trying. How about an update on this very special coin?

<< <i>Thank you all for the responses. Now let me tell ya seeing how I have an edge on the matter because I have the coin in hand, I'm going ALL INN MS-66 all the way with this one and if it doesn't come back 66 I'll crack it out and send it back in till they get it right....Thanks again....Joe

Just look at that reverse and this is behind plastic... >>

>>

I have not sent it in yet. I'm getting ready to send it in with many others. I will for sure let ya know....Joe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file