Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FVF cap being rasised on Ebay

For non store owners it will go from $100 to $250 in May. The impact on nice coins won't be good.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>FVF? >>

Final Value Fee. What you pay to eBay when your item sells.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yowza, that's a big jump. >>

Thats a HUGE Jump!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW - good news for sites like Great Collections.....
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I maintain a store. Does mine stat at $100?
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy answer- if you see an expensive coin you like, call the store owner and buy it offline. No reason to stick the seller with monster fees, and most of them quote a lower price over the phone anyway. Sorry, eBay- you've gotten too big and too greedy.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not getting any extra e-Value for my $150.

RIP OFF

suggestions for alternate sites for selling first spouses in 69 and 70 ???
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    There is also more "good news". In order to qualify for the 20% FVF discount a seller must meet the old requirements of Top Rated plus offer 1 day handling, a 14 return period with money back, not an exchange or store credit.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For non store owners it will go from $100 to $250 in May. The impact on nice coins won't be good. >>

Affects auction style listings only.

"Starting May 1, the maximum final value fee for Standard Auction-style listings will be $250. (Note, this change only impacts transactions of more than $1,111.00 for sellers who do not have an eBay Stores subscription)."

Lots of changes coming up

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>For non store owners it will go from $100 to $250 in May. The impact on nice coins won't be good. >>

"Starting May 1, the maximum final value fee for Standard Auction-style listings will be $250. (Note, this change only impacts transactions of more than $1,111.00 for sellers who do not have an eBay Stores subscription)."

Lots of changes coming up >>

Kind of blows the reduction in "sky high BIN's" theory put forth earlier to rest does it not? It will make that problem worse and certainly lessen the real auctions on the site for better coins. not many will list a $2K coin at auction. That affects a whole lot of coins including at least half of the gold coins that get auctioned on Ebay and tons of others.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    It's gets better. You'll also have to have tracking info uploaded on 90% or your orders within "your stated handling time" (which has to be 1 day in order to qualify as a top rated seller). So I guess that means I won't be selling any more low value coins that I ship without tracking info.

I just got this huge email on the upcoming changes and eBay is begging to remind of Netflix. eBay is a great venue but sometimes they just need to leave well enough alone.
    GMan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Kind of blows the reduction in "sky high BIN's" theory put forth earlier to rest does it not? It will make that problem worse and certainly lessen the real auctions on the site for better coins. >>

Will reduce the number of BINs with an opening bid that were created only to take advantage of the monthly allotment of free listings auction style. A lot of current, high buy it now prices are there only to take advantage of a free auction style listing that requires a Buy It Now price of at least 10% more than the opening bid price. Sellers will stick with strictly BIN's at a reasonable price to avoid the upcoming higher FVF cap on auction style listings.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Kind of blows the reduction in "sky high BIN's" theory put forth earlier to rest does it not? It will make that problem worse and certainly lessen the real auctions on the site for better coins. >>

Will reduce the number of BINs with an opening bid that were created only to take advantage of the monthly allotment of free listings auction style. A lot of current, high buy it now prices are there only to take advantage of a free auction style listing that requires a Buy It Now price of at least 10% more than the opening bid price. Sellers will stick with strictly BIN's at a reasonable price to avoid the upcoming higher FVF cap on auction style listings. >>

True but it will greatly reduce the auctions for Double Eagles, $10 Eagles, Really good CC Morgans and many others. I'd expect those coins to be listed with BIN's. I know if I list anything worth $2K or so that will be my route.
  • Options

<< <i>You'll also have to have tracking info uploaded on 90% or your orders within "your stated handling time" (which has to be 1 day in order to qualify as a top rated seller). So I guess that means I won't be selling any more low value coins that I ship without tracking info. >>

If you use paypal shipping feature you get free del. confirmation and your tracking number is automatically uploaded to paypal AND Ebay.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I don't see anything in this announcement to get excited about or anything to get pissed about. Net neutral.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    It does suck but at the end of the day it's still the biggest venue with the biggest audience.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>Kind of blows the reduction in "sky high BIN's" theory put forth earlier to rest does it not? It will make that problem worse and certainly lessen the real auctions on the site for better coins.

Will reduce the number of BINs with an opening bid that were created only to take advantage of the monthly allotment of free listings auction style. A lot of current, high buy it now prices are there only to take advantage of a free auction style listing that requires a Buy It Now price of at least 10% more than the opening bid price. Sellers will stick with strictly BIN's at a reasonable price to avoid the upcoming higher FVF cap on auction style listings.

True but it will greatly reduce the auctions for Double Eagles, $10 Eagles, Really good CC Morgans and many others. I'd expect those coins to be listed with BIN's. I know if I list anything worth $2K or so that will be my route. >>

From sellers who know value of what they are selling and deal enough on ebay to know the listing route that will result in the lowest fees. Others listings for high dollar coins will probably continue to be auction style and may even be a good indicator that you are not dealing with a coin/ebay professional - a sign of a possible cherrypick.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Easy answer- if you see an expensive coin you like, call the store owner and buy it offline. No reason to stick the seller with monster fees, and most of them quote a lower price over the phone anyway. Sorry, eBay- you've gotten too big and too greedy. >>

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

<< <i>True but it will greatly reduce the auctions for Double Eagles, $10 Eagles, Really good CC Morgans and many others. I'd expect those coins to be listed with BIN's. I know if I list anything worth $2K or so that will be my route >>

It's a non-issue. Anybody who's selling coins in that dollar range should simply get a store. At $15.99 a month, the savings on final value fee from a single sale more than covers the cost.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Easy answer- if you see an expensive coin you like, call the store owner and buy it offline. No reason to stick the seller with monster fees, and most of them quote a lower price over the phone anyway. Sorry, eBay- you've gotten too big and too greedy. >>

I tried doing this with a fairly big numismatic firm... they absolutely refused to pull it from eBay or put it on their website. >>

Problem is that if the offer is made through eBay messaging big bother is watching and if the seller does it too many times their account at eBay can be closed.image

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I tried doing this with a fairly big numismatic firm... they absolutely refused to pull it from eBay or put it on their website. >>

Problem is that if the offer is made through eBay messaging big bother is watching and if the seller does it too many times their account at eBay can be closed.image

image >>

Sellers' can just leave their telephone number so we can call to complete.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Sellers' can just leave their telephone number so we can call to complete. >>

Or you can message seller: "have a couple of questions on your item, if possible please give me a call." Include your name and phone number or email address. Many sellers will take the hint.

• Options
    eBay has started stripping eMail addresses and phone numbers out of eBay messages.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>True but it will greatly reduce the auctions for Double Eagles, $10 Eagles, Really good CC Morgans and many others. I'd expect those coins to be listed with BIN's. I know if I list anything worth $2K or so that will be my route >>

It's a non-issue. Anybody who's selling coins in that dollar range should simply get a store. At $15.99 a month, the savings on final value fee from a single sale more than covers the cost.

Russ, NCNE >>

Right now, I'm not paying $191.88 per year for a store.

It is an issue as I'm forced to either pay an extra $150 per auction listing or pay their $191.88 whether I sell every month or not.

Here is another non-issue(?):

pay $200 per year for "additional fee protection" or pay an additional fee of $150 per sale.

(point: they are $@#%@ us out of money either way. Where is the extra eValue to me in this proposition???)

as I've said many times before, eBay is becoming increasingly unfriendly to the small sellers that started eBay in the first place.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Right now, I'm not paying $191.88 per year for a store.

It is an issue as I'm forced to either pay an extra $150 per auction listing or pay their $191.88 whether I sell every month or not. >>

What's your average sale? Let's assume it's $1500. No store, you're currently paying $100 final value fee. With a store, that fee would be $51.75. You'd need only four sales in a year to pay for the store. Anybody who's been selling high dollar coins below approximately the $4000 level without a store has been screwing themselves.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most of the tech companies, ebay is trying to get the recurring revenue on their books.
    This looks much better on the books when it comes to looking at projected revenue.

Pushing people to stores is a way to do this.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    From eBay's latest email:

"Get an automatic 5-star Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) for Communication when you specify same-day or 1-day handling, upload tracking information by the end of the next business day, and no communication is needed between you and the buyer."

eBay philosophy: No communication needed between buyer and seller = 5 star rating.

eBay doesn't really want buyers and sellers talking to each other at all. Can't get any clearer than that.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    please email me at blahblah(at)blah dot com works for me.

It's the mandatory 14 day refund thing I don't like. Who eats the return shipping on that also.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Right now, I'm not paying $191.88 per year for a store.

It is an issue as I'm forced to either pay an extra $150 per auction listing or pay their $191.88 whether I sell every month or not. >>

What's your average sale? Let's assume it's $1500. No store, you're currently paying $100 final value fee. With a store, that fee would be $51.75. You'd need only four sales in a year to pay for the store. Anybody who's been selling high dollar coins below approximately the $4000 level without a store has been screwing themselves.

Russ, NCNE >>

ok, thanks Russ
  • Options

<< <i>eBay philosophy: No communication needed between buyer and seller = 5 star rating. >>

Yeah, that one cracked me up.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be just the latest assault on the small seller on eBay.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>This seems to be just the latest assault on the small seller on eBay. >>

Except that they again lowered the sales threshhold to qualify for TRS status. It was already stupidly low, not it's ridiculous.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i> It's the mandatory 14 day refund thing I don't like. Who eats the return shipping on that also. >>

I agree. Who needs 14 days to decide if they want to keep a coin? What was wrong with the 3 and 7 day return options??

Now we'll have bargain hunters wanting to return purchases after they've found it cheaper or won a later auction for $10 less. Thanks a lot, Ebay! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> It's the mandatory 14 day refund thing I don't like. Who eats the return shipping on that also. >>

I agree. Who needs 14 days to decide if they want to keep a coin? What was wrong with the 3 and 7 day return options??

Now we'll have bargain hunters wanting to return purchases after they've found it cheaper or won a later auction for $10 less. Thanks a lot, Ebay! image >>

I switched to 14 days when eBay made the initial announcement about six months ago. I've seen no increase in returns. I was just as irritated as everybody else when they first announced it, but it has turned out to be a non-issue. Besides, we've never really had a choice anyway. All a buyer has to do is file a snad and any return policy we state goes out the window.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This seems to be just the latest assault on the small seller on eBay. >>

Except that they again lowered the sales threshhold to qualify for TRS status. It was already stupidly low, not it's ridiculous.

Russ, NCNE >>

The overall effect of the changes will negatively impact small sellers. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the large sellers are pushing eBay to get rid of the small sellers who run auctions with low starting prices. eBay seems to want to run a retail operation anyway. Whatever happened to "We are just a venue."?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Now we'll have bargain hunters wanting to return purchases after they've found it cheaper or won a later auction for $10 less. Thanks a lot, Ebay! image >>

I switched to 14 days when eBay made the initial announcement about six months ago. I've seen no increase in returns. I was just as irritated as everybody else when they first announced it, but it has turned out to be a non-issue. Besides, we've never really had a choice anyway. All a buyer has to do is file a snad and any return policy we state goes out the window.

Russ, NCNE >>

Do you sell bullion? NM bullion excluded from the 14 day return policy.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay is not trying to rip you off..eBay is trying to prove to Wall Street that they have the POWER to rip you off. If they have that power, their stock multiple will rise, if they don't thousands of sellers will leave, sales volume will drop and the stock will fall. I'm betting that, as usual, most people will preach to each other (aka "the choir") and keep using them. Also remember...they still make more money from Paypal fees than they do from auction fees.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you sell bullion? Does the 14 day return apply for the bullion category? Let me get this straight, when I sell bullion I'm expected to give a 14 day return window to get the 20% rebate? If PM prices go against a buyer in those two weeks they could just return the item no questions asked. What bullion dealer in the world allows that.

BINGO! No way that anyone selling bullion can hold the price for 14 days. I hope their bullion-related biz drops to zero.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>It's the mandatory 14 day refund thing I don't like. Who eats the return shipping on that also. >>

Put buyer pays return shipping and refund is for bid only in the specifics.

<< <i>Right now, I'm not paying $191.88 per year for a store. >>

Store subscriptions are by the month open or closed on the first of the month billing cycle. I normally close mine during the summer when it's Fishing time.

<< <i>Do you sell bullion? NM bullion excluded from the 14 day return policy. >>

I don't understand why anyone sells bullion on eBay 10% to 15% fees, it's smarter taking it to a dealer.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you sell bullion? NM bullion excluded from the 14 day return policy. >>

I don't understand why anyone sells bullion on eBay 10% to 15% fees, it's smarter taking it to a dealer.

image >>

With a statement like that, you obviousily don't sell bullion.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

With a statement like that, you obviousily don't sell bullion. >>

BTW...You won’t be required to accept returns for listings in the Tickets, Gift Card, or Bullion categories (note: this is only for the Gold, Silver, and Platinum & Palladium sub-categories) to qualify for top rewards. These listings will need to meet the 1-day or faster handling time.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Do you sell bullion? Does the 14 day return apply for the bullion category? Let me get this straight, when I sell bullion I'm expected to give a 14 day return window to get the 20% rebate? If PM prices go against a buyer in those two weeks they could just return the item no questions asked. What bullion dealer in the world allows that.

BINGO! No way that anyone selling bullion can hold the price for 14 days. I hope their bullion-related biz drops to zero. >>

You won’t be required to accept returns for listings in the Tickets, Gift Card, or Bullion categories (note: this is only for the Gold, Silver, and Platinum & Palladium sub-categories) to qualify for top rewards. These listings will need to meet the 1-day or faster handling time.
  • Options
    With ebay and paypal fees as high as they are I would be better off selling bullion to my local brick and mortar shop. I figured it all out and the few dollars I would save on say a 100 ounce bar wouldnt be worth the hassle.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don' need no steenkeeng sellers!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Do you sell bullion? Does the 14 day return apply for the bullion category? Let me get this straight, when I sell bullion I'm expected to give a 14 day return window to get the 20% rebate? If PM prices go against a buyer in those two weeks they could just return the item no questions asked. What bullion dealer in the world allows that.

BINGO! No way that anyone selling bullion can hold the price for 14 days. I hope their bullion-related biz drops to zero. >>

You won’t be required to accept returns for listings in the Tickets, Gift Card, or Bullion categories (note: this is only for the Gold, Silver, and Platinum & Palladium sub-categories) to qualify for top rewards. These listings will need to meet the 1-day or faster handling time. >>

I list my bullion outside of bullion cat for ebay bucks people. Guess those days are over. That 1-day shipping requirement precludes any preselling too I guess to get the 20% discount even though preselling is perfectly acceptable to ebay as long as you stay in the guidelines. That rule may need some tweaking.
  • Options

<< <i>That 1-day shipping requirement precludes any preselling >>

Good.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

No and with the dismal results I got on auctions last weekend everything is going back into the store as fixed price listings.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

No and with the dismal results I got on auctions last weekend everything is going back into the store as fixed price listings.

image >>

Decent bullion sells like hot cakes on eBay. Junk bullion does not.
    Most of my bullion sell at approx 20% - 30% above spot. Even after the fees, it's considerably more than what a B&M or even the BST would offer. Fixed price plain vanilla bullion will just remain in your store and "gather dust" To much competition for most items.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file