Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Are American coin collectors aware of...

Canadian rarities. Me been a Canadian coin collector since 1989 I have been wondering this question for a while. Say are you guys aware of the 1921 50 cent (known as the King of Canadian coins there are about 50 known with only 3 mint state examples known), the 1936 dot penny (only 3 specimen exist), the 1936 dot dime (only 5 of this rare coin exist and 2 are in the Canadian museum of Currency) and the 1911 dollar (known as the Emperor of Canadian coins there are only 1 that is in a private collection and the other 2 in the same museum)? The reason why I ask is that coins you guys pay for say 4$ million dollars you can get for 400 000$ in Canada at this moment in time. They also have a good return rate like the coins in the U.S have. For example the 1921 50 cents goes up about 7.5% each year.

Been a serious collector I am very well aware of the coins in the U.S (rare coins, pedigrees and so on).

Thanks for the input. I know this is a U.S coin forum but I feel this has to do with U.S coin collectors so please bare with me.

Comments

• Options
    The dots, yes. Anything else, not really.
    I just was shown an unc 1925 5 cent, and I couldn't appreciate it because I simply didn't know if it was good or not.
    I do plan to get to know that stuff, but I just honestly don't know the canadian coinage.
  • Options
    I am surprised because there are so many rare coins and unique coins in Canada that appreciate in value just as much as U.S coins. For example Newfoundland coins are all scarce to very rare and so are the 100's of Canadian tokens dating before 1867.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am aware of the Canadian rarities, but only because I grew up in Detroit, collected Canadian coins out of circulation there and owned a copy of Charlton. I even met him once. Can't remember where.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I guess I should be considering myself a worldwide coin collector since coin collecting for me has no borders.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I have always been impressed with the Edward VII and George V coinage. They were really well designed.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, I don't know them, and think it is good if someone knows and finds them, but, in particular for the really rare ones you mention, I have no inclination or desire to know more about them or think about them.

My collecting desires are US coins, some colonials, and maybe some "world" coins that I like (toning/design/whatnot) but that is cheap and fun.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    I still look for 1925 cent and nickel .... and the 1926 far date.
    love the grading scale also much stricter.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only since I bought a coin shop was I made aware of these. My eyes are still barely opened. I wish I would have collected Russian and Chinese coins of old, looking back in retrospect. image
  • Options

<< <i>Only since I bought a coin shop was I made aware of these. My eyes are still barely opened. I wish I would have collected Russian and Chinese coins of old, looking back in retrospect. image >>

TwoSides,
    Might have missed out on the Russian and Chinese but you still have a chance on the Liberian Official and Pattern coins of 1847-1890's, Wonderful U.S. History tie-In, complete
    with "In God We Trust" The United States Mint even produced some official Liberian Coinage as late as 1972 and maybe a little latter.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    I am coming out with a book in a couple of months that will be a 100 pages long and cover 5 of Canada's greatest coins with lots of images as well.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i am as pcgs message boards has a selection as to what category i want to go to
    they have one for world and foreign coins
    myself i don't post in foreign about how great our lil american treasures are but that's just me
    we call it "the darkside"
    as it's not in the light...especially in a us coin forum

may sound a lil brash or such but your new here
    you state you're a darkside collector
    they have a forum here just for such
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    NumbersUsacom:

That is some nice information I will try and inform myself better on middle eastern coins.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddy:

I understand your point of view but it is fun to share our hobby with others from around the globe...OK that may mean some good coins gone on both sides but hey that makes it just the more fun trying to find that special coin in my opinion.

Also what is important is to show how to organize the history of a nations coins...Canada and the U.S are well organized with many books available. So many countries have zero sources of information. This could mean that a Canadian or American collector could produce such books to get those countries jump started.
  • Options
    Matrix, not sure if you know what Teddy meant about the forums , but Check out the Welcome Mat HERE
    and thanks for the heads up on the Liberian coins NumbersUsacom.
    See ya on the darkside, and good luck with the book, Matrix.
  • Options

<< <i>Matrix, not sure if you know what Teddy meant about the forums , but Check out the Welcome Mat HERE
    and thanks for the heads up on the Liberian coins NumbersUsacom.
    See ya on the darkside, and good luck with the book, Matrix. >>

hehehe...not sure i know what i mean't too... but i'm not a mean person...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

You're worth your weight in Gulden, teddy man. image
  • Options
    not the way to get 2 xmas cards outta me there 2sides...image

• Options
    I know nothing on canadian variations, BUT holding on to the piles of them so when i do start learning ill have alot of test pieces. I hope my US coins lessons and eyes pay off
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard of some including the ones you mentioned and also 1921 silver 5 cent, an 1890-h half dollar, most of the 1875 dated coins and some varieties. I had a complete Canadian silver dollar set from 1935-to 1967 but sold it when I needed cash about 1982. I did since purchase another 1948 silver dollar and I still have this coin. I also owned a an RB unc 1864 New Brunswick half-cent but sold it around 1974.-I wish someone would come out with a good Canadian variety book (or a Cherry-picking Canadian coins book). Once a book is published and people can easily discern varieties the values go up of course. I do collect Canadian and US coins.
    No matter what anyone else says I think this is an appropriate topic for this forum as the OP is asking a question to US collectors.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not aware of the rare silver and nickel coins much. I've collected all the cents by date and mint except the 36 raised dot. Most of the large cents were plucked from junk boxes at coin shows and shops. Almost all of the small cents were found in circulation. I also have a few mint sets and about a dozen fish scales, including a few I found metal detecting.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    I am not aware and do not care to know about them. It is hard enough collecting US coins, foreign coins are not on my scopes.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I am aware, I am just as uninterested as I was before I was aware.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now that I am aware, I am just as uninterested as I was before I was aware. >>

HeHe. I'm glad that you don't care about the Maritime Province gold. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was aware of the 1911 Canadian dollar because I collected those coins for a while. I think that there are two in silver and one in lead. As for the others, no I was not aware of them.

The thing about the low prices for these coins relative to U.S. coins is that it all has to do with demand. There are a lot more U.S. collectors than Canadian collectors. As a collector of tokens and medals, I can cite many examples of those pieces that are as rare or rarer than most of the examples you cited that bring similarly low prices compared to U.S. coins.

When comes to collectables, DEMAND is the driver when it comes to price. Something can be as rare as it can be, and yet sell for a very low price if virtually no one wants it
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew about the 1921 50c.

I've dabbled a little in Canadian coins- I did a simple type set in the 1990s and now I have a small Canadian 1901 set as a subset of a larger British Empire/Queen Victoria 1901 type set.

I've owned some coins in ICCS holders. (Nice conservative grading, rather inconsequential holders. More like flips than slabs.)

But I've never specialized in Greyside.

Since you're new to us, I thought I should direct you to Dawg's FORUM LINGO DICTIONARY, in case that "Greyside" term just flew past you.

Come and join us on the World & Ancient Coin Forum (aka The "Dark Side"), if you haven't already.

I'm headed back over there myself in a few minutes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more than familiar with these coins. I've also owned a few, including a 1921 Half in 65 and a British Columbia $20.

If you consider what you get for your money in Canadian coins, there are no doubt some very solid values to be had. However, if the Canadian market is to improve, the demand will probably need to come from Canadian buyers, not from Americans.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found three Canadian silver dimes in the last six months....one dropped around a coinstar machine... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    All I can say it would be nice to see more Americans get involved in Canadian coins and more Canadians get involved in U.S coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No great rarities here, but these 1901 Canadian pieces are part of the 1901 Victorian type set I'm collecting for my daughter, Victoria (who was born in 2001).

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All I can say it would be nice to see more Americans get involved in Canadian coins and more Canadians get involved in U.S coins. >>

That it may be, but some of us want to collect what WE want to collect...not what others want us to collect.
    You are welcome to go to the World and Ancient Coin Forum on this site (link was a few posts above) and tell them they should collect US Coins as well image

Some of us just come here, to the US COIN FORUM in order to learn and share about US COINS. We go to the other forum for world coins and sharing/learning....and there are Americans over there too!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    The 1911 Dollar is one coin I would love to own , more so than the 1804. I have the 100th commemative coin but wished the reverse design had the word "ONE" and not the numeral "1".
  • Options
    I have been quietly buying for a while, especially since the economic downturn. When these tings take off, look out!

PCGS Cents
    1923 VF-35
    1924 AU-55
    1925 AU-58
    1925 MS-63 BN
    1932 MS-64 RB
    1935 MS-64 RB

PCGS Nickels
    1922 MS-63
    1923 MS-64
    1924 MS-64
    1925 AU-58
    1925 MS-62
    1928 MS-64
    1935 AU-58

PCGS Dollars
    1938 MS-63
    1947 ML MS-63
  • Options
    It is nice to see some of you enjoying the nice coins we have to offer here in Canada. Those are some nice pics!!
  • Options
    Double dime:

I must be honest my favorite coin in the U.S is the 1894-S barber dime. I know the person that owns the 1911 dollar he has a great collection probably the very best in Canada at the moment.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 1948 canadian dollar is the grand daddy of the dollars there as well. i guess theres just not much interest in the canadian series. hopefully one day it will take off. ( i like and do collect canadian as well image )
  • Options
    johnny9434:

Thanks for your input. People right have a huge advantage of investing in Canadian coins since they have such low mintages and the ultra rare coins we have are still affordable. One day down the road they will be like U.S coins very expensive and hard to find.
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have been buying a few nice Canadian pieces as they do seem underrated. And yes, I think there are more and more American collectors for them too. The large cents are quiet, but the larger silver coins and especially the gold coins have been doing quite well.
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    The only thing I know about Canadian coinage is that I'm annoyed when I get a Canadian cent in change back from the store.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    giorgio11:

I think you are doing the right move.
  • Options
    giorgio11:

I think you are doing the right move.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a coin collection once that included a Canada nickel folder...full. I didn't have an interest and put it in my antique mall booth for three months with no interest at $5.00.

So I brought it home to put on ebay and discovered the near and far 6, 1926 pieces were both in there. I think it sold for a couple of hundred dollars.

On an unrelated note...They're Canada Geese, Not Canadian Geese. not very many Americans are aware of that....even fewer are aware of manners...
  • Options
    DNADave:

You gave a perfect example of the money to be made in Canadian coins.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canadian rarities...

There are the obvious tough dates and those that just seem to be ignored...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    justanothercoinaddict:

Wow those are some fine Canadian coins...love the1893 10 cents round top very scarce coin indeed. Love the 1889 as well....tome the sovereign coins have the nicest design in almost all gold coins.
  • Options
    ustanothercoinaddict:

I mainly collect half dollars. But have always wanted a 1893 round top and a 1889 10 cent. I guess I will buy one this year...maybe as a birthday gift to myself cross my fingers. I have a pretty nice collection of pennies as well.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing that you can do to get me interested in collecting Canadian coins. NOTHING.

IMO, Canada is a huge knock-off of the U.S. image

God Save the Queen! image
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, if only I could find a Morgan with this colour.

(coin currently in an ICCS ms64 holder)
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    NOTHING?

Reads as if someone is begging to be sentenced to Barber coins... image

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    Now I know a little bit more. I can't afford the rare stuff but I have been looking at the early large cents, and on a limited budget my interest has just been rekindled.
    Thanks for this series of posts.
    Bob
    Bob

• Options
    I am not seeing waterlines on the 52- what does the obverse look like?