Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Craigslist Scammer got away with $2200

124»

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have made 3 deals on craigslist where I met the guy in the parking lot of a nearby police station. First of all if the seller is afraid to meet me there then that says alot right there. Once a patrol car stopped to see what we were doing, I explained what was up, he agreed it was a good place to do it and went on his way. I am a retired police officer, I would have no problem with that either. It is like when we had weekly child custody transfers being done in our lobby every week - its a pretty safe place to be. >>

That's actually a hell of an idea, I live about 5 minutes away from the local station, do you think they (Officers/deputys) wouldn't actually mind if you met another party in that parking lot? I don't know how private/public it really is (I've never actually turned into this place in living here for 5 years).

I know my bank doesn't put up with it at all, but I've never tried the station. >>

I can only speak for the upper middle class suburb I worked for. But if it was done at a good time, say saturday or sunday afternoon when the lot is fairly empty, you don't set up a table to display your wares and make the meeting fairly low key and you do it maybe once a week or so, you should be fine. The location should put both parties at ease, assuming both parties are honest and concerned about their safety. Worse case scenario an officer stops by and tells you to hit the road....
  • Options
    Yeah probably something I'm going to avoid... Same area type but the sheriffs are not incredibly pleasant imo.

I can say I was the only person to ever be pulled over in the high school parking lot senior year though - Oh boy that was fun
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Foo

I think it's a horse trade. Maybe your friend should speak to an attorney.

All you will get around here is advice from nitwits, like me.

Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Sigh" >>

^ditto
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Maybe your friend should speak to an attorney.

Yes, but if he asks to meet you at an IHOP, looks like the top guy below, and wants a large retainer...run.

• Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    You have not lived until you have heard a flamboyant gay gentleman order a "Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity" at IHOP

Disclaimer...this was the early 90's....I don't know if they still offer them.image
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must say that the responses here have made this one of the more entertaining "someone got scammed" threads I've seen here in some time.

The fact that Craigslist was the venue is really unimportant... common sense would dictate that you shouldn't buy anything of significant value, using cash, with little to no recourse, regardless of the venue... with the only exceptions being when you are a) experienced enough to be more than reasonably sure of authenticity and b)know the seller well in case there's an issue.

Bottom Line... he should have known better. This deal had red flags top to bottom, and that's just based on what I've seen here, much less anything that's been left out.
    All I can say is, if you wanna play dealer, then you'd better know your stuff. And in this case Mr. Dealer Wannabe got taken to school.
    Thus, even though I hate to see anyone get ripped off, my sympathy here is somewhat limited.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>You have not lived until you have heard a flamboyant gay gentleman order a "Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity" at IHOP

Disclaimer...this was the early 90's....I don't know if they still offer them.image >>

flamboyant gay gentlemen?? yes, they still offer those.image
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭

<< <i>I must say that the responses here have made this one of the more entertaining "someone got scammed" threads I've seen here in some time.

The fact that Craigslist was the venue is really unimportant... common sense would dictate that you shouldn't buy anything of significant value, using cash, with little to no recourse, regardless of the venue... with the only exceptions being when you are a) experienced enough to be more than reasonably sure of authenticity and b)know the seller well in case there's an issue.

Bottom Line... he should have known better. This deal had red flags top to bottom, and that's just based on what I've seen here, much less anything that's been left out.
    All I can say is, if you wanna play dealer, then you'd better know your stuff. And in this case Mr. Dealer Wannabe got taken to school.
    Thus, even though I hate to see anyone get ripped off, my sympathy here is somewhat limited. >>

+1