Home Precious Metals
Options

Where to put 10k..Updated

Hello all, I've decided to put 10-12k into metals sometime in the next couple of weeks and was looking for opinions on where I should put it. This would be strictly for investment purposes with a medium to long range time frame. My first thought is a 75% to 25% silver gold mix with the silver consisting of 90% as well as Eagles, Maple leafs and Philharmonics. And the collector in me likes the pre 33 gold so I'd probably go for that getting ones with lower premiums. I'd love to hear some thoughts though as I'm not set in what method to take.

Comments

• Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    For the silver, I would recommend buying 90% if you can get it close to melt. It's very easy to sell and you'll get around melt when you sell it, i.e., you're not losing much on the buy-sell spread.

Edited to add: platinum seems to be relatively cheap at the moment -- may want to consider adding an ounce. Usually it's been more expensive than gold, but now it's cheaper.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    5oz gold in AGE

80oz silver in ASE

If it just investment keep nusimatics seperate. That way no attachment just sell like a stock.

Me personally I look at PM's as my savings account deposit & withdrawl as available/needed. Since the conversion takes effort to $$ makes me REALLY think b4 a withdrawlimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    I would add some fractionals to the mix as well as some Pt. It seems very cheap now.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>If it just investment keep nusimatics seperate. That way no attachment just sell like a stock.

Me personally I look at PM's as my savings account deposit & withdrawl as available/needed. Since the conversion takes effort to $$ makes me REALLY think b4 a withdrawlimage >>

Ditto on both lines!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5K in silver bullion and 5K in gold bullion.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. I have pondered platinum as I remember it always seemed to run a good bit above gold as to where its at now, But from what I understand its price is more closely tied to industrial use and honestly I'm not very optimistic about the economic outlook at the moment. I was thinking 75-25 silver gold split because I was thinking silver had more potential upside from where its at right now. Is this sound reasoning?
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You say first it is strictly investment, then you say "the collector in me.."

So, it looks like you want something interesting numismatically, rather than just bars and rounds.

I would suggest PCGS certified gold in MS62. $5 Indians and $20 Saints, so long as you are within 20% of the melt price. As prices have dropped on gold, these have as well, and I think they are staying tied to gold too long as it drops (they should be higher)

Also, buy 90% silver - try and get Walking Lib Half dollars and Merc dimes.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You say first it is strictly investment, then you say "the collector in me.."

So, it looks like you want something interesting numismatically, rather than just bars and rounds.

I would suggest PCGS certified gold in MS62. $5 Indians and $20 Saints, so long as you are within 20% of the melt price. As prices have dropped on gold, these have as well, and I think they are staying tied to gold too long as it drops (they should be higher)

Also, buy 90% silver - try and get Walking Lib Half dollars and Merc dimes. >>

Great suggestions for a bullion + numismatic coin play.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I would put 50% into 90% silver in walkers and mercs but also consider full date standing liberty quarters and full rim barbers if priced the same.

I would put 30% into OGP 25th anniversary silver eagle sets.

I would put 20% into platinum as the price has gotten to cheap especially compared to gold, historically when this happens platinum blows past gold.
    Purchase whatever you can as close to melt, sometimes fractional eagles are priced close to bars if a dealer has a glut and if so purchase them.

Happy hunting!!!
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would put 20% into platinum as the price has gotten to cheap especially compared to gold, historically when this happens platinum blows past gold.

Or, alternatively, gold sinks below platinum image

that said, I'm buying platinum at these prices.

to answer the OP question, I'd advise to think about how you want to get back out of the metal when the time comes.

Two or three transactions for some ounces of gold or 100 oz bars of silver are easier to manage than dozens of transactions, trying to eke out "the premium" for "collectible" bullion. XF/AU US Libs and saints/indian gold will also give some numismatic downside protection

On the other hand, if you don't intend to sell, ever, or want to be able to do it piecemeal and work on a Collection you can Enjoy Visually while you wait to get back even, then go for a variety of modern proof and MS bullion. "Varieties" of old and/or poured Engelhard and JM bars (among others) are also popular forms of silver to get stuck with while you're waiting for prices to rise again

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    image You get the metal, and the numismatic value for not much more.
  • Options
    I checked one of the big dealers in gold and there is only a $75 difference between 63 and 64 Staints and a $220 difference between 64 and 65 Staints. If gold falls it might hold up better in the higher grade Staints. JMHO.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>5oz gold in AGE

80oz silver in ASE

If it just investment keep nusimatics seperate. That way no attachment just sell like a stock.

Me personally I look at PM's as my savings account deposit & withdrawl as available/needed. Since the conversion takes effort to $$ makes me REALLY think b4 a withdrawlimage >>

image and so far the value has been growing
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reselling is an important step overlooked by many buyers. Stick with American Eagles, You will recover the premium when you resell. Premiums have actually increased over the last few years.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>to answer the OP question, I'd advise to think about how you want to get back out of the metal when the time comes. >>

excellent advice, often overlooked by buyers. One of the possible reasons for getting out of metal is falling prices. Such a scenario places an advantage on holding paper traded on an exchange that can be dumped with the push of a button.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>to answer the OP question, I'd advise to think about how you want to get back out of the metal when the time comes. >>

excellent advice, often overlooked by buyers. One of the possible reasons for getting out of metal is falling prices. Such a scenario places an advantage on holding paper traded on an exchange that can be dumped with the push of a button. >>

Paper is more convenient unless you wake up one morning and find out your "paper" bullion has been stolen from you (MF Global).

I also like to pull out my old poured bars and numerous 1 oz. art bars on occasion, also having physical posession gives you total control over it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

excellent advice, often overlooked by buyers. One of the possible reasons for getting out of metal is falling prices. Such a scenario places an advantage on holding paper traded on an exchange that can be dumped with the push of a button. >>

Paper is more convenient unless you wake up one morning and find out your "paper" bullion has been stolen from you (MF Global).

I also like to pull out my old poured bars and numerous 1 oz. art bars on occasion, also having physical posession gives you total control over it. >>

There are advantages to holding physical long term and still trading paper short term to take advantage of price swings which are abundent with PMs and provide a great profiting opportunity. Money can be made on the "ups" and on the "downs."

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    If it were me, Id get some 90% silver coins, some silver dollars, some govt bullion, some quarter oz gold eagles, maples, and krugs, then maybe a few common date and cheap slabbed $5 gold libs and indians and if any money left, one slabbed $10 lib or indian. You have so much diversity and its fun. Lots of stuff to stare up, not boring at all.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Reselling is an important step overlooked by many buyers. Stick with American Eagles, You will recover the premium when you resell. Premiums have actually increased over the last few years. >>

This is huge! I bought tons of different stuff and it's been a nightmare trying to sell everything for top dollar.
    Next time I reload (mid 2012) I am buying nothing but ASEs, AGEs and Apmex bullion.
    One call to Apmex and I can sell everything quickly
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice. After reading through here I think I'll do half in silver mainly Eagles maybe some 90% but I buy a dollar or two face of that a week anyway so I'm accumulating a good bit of 90% anyway. And the other a mix of graded pre 33 gold and platinum, After seeing the suggestions for platinum I looked at a couple of places and saw they were sold out which intrigued me more so I've rethought my opinion on it and will probably put a couple of k into it. Once I finish this buying spree I'll snap a pic of what I got and post it to this thread. Thanks again
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Can't wait to see the pics! MM image
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Reselling is an important step overlooked by many buyers. Stick with American Eagles, You will recover the premium when you resell. Premiums have actually increased over the last few years. >>

This is huge! I bought tons of different stuff and it's been a nightmare trying to sell everything for top dollar.
    Next time I reload (mid 2012) I am buying nothing but ASEs, AGEs and Apmex bullion.
    One call to Apmex and I can sell everything quickly >>

I would even go one step further, by purchasing the 5 oz bullion pucks when APMEX has an "IRS" .. the spread is less than the ASE's.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take the $10,000 cash to the FUN show (or some other large coin show) and shop around. Try to spend all the $10,000 with a single coin/bullion dealer. If you look around and walk the floor you would probably find a cash hungry dealer that would gladly hook you up with a great deal for $10,000 cash.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about some metal mining stocks. I just added FCX and AA for 2012
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would take the $10,000 cash to the FUN show (or some other large coin show) and shop around. Try to spend all the $10,000 with a single coin/bullion dealer. If you look around and walk the floor you would probably find a cash hungry dealer that would gladly hook you up with a great deal for $10,000 cash. >>

Wouldn't spending "$100,000 cash" at one dealer trigger forms to be filled out and a report to the government? Would it be more prudent to spread it around a bit?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have around 20%-25% in platinum and decided a little while ago to bump up my holdings, but lemme tell you - while prices have declined lately, the premiums are high now - and that's part of the deal. You will simply have to shop around and get to know the market and premiums before you make a platinum buy. 1 oz. Platinum Eagles will have the smallest % premium and that will also be true when you sell. It's also possible for the base coin to go up while the premium goes down, so don't get too far into platinum unless you consider some of these things.

I collect Plats but if I didn't collect them, my platinum strategy would probably focus on the 1/10th oz coins. Their base value fluctuates, and the premiums change like everything else, but they do seem to have a bit more liquidity because the 1/10 ozers also seem to have a larger audience on ebay. As Zubie pointed out, it pays to keep your pm investments as liquid as you need them to be.

Bottom line - platinum can go down with the automotive industry, but it is an essential industrial material, irreplaceable in many ways - and it is vulnerable to supply disruptions. It gets consumed and is becoming harder to extract. I like it as a precious metal speculation. I accumulate it for the long term. If you can stand a waterfall decline like the one in 2008 (check the Kitco charts), you will do just fine by accumulating platinum over time.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Is 10-12K a lot of money for you? Is it a big percentage of your net worth? If you lost it tomorrow would you want to commit suicide? Would your Wife leave you if you lost 90% of it?

These are all questions to consider before making the leap. I ask this because it appears that 10K is a big big deal for you ( I'm not being sarcastic ) and therefore you should consider these questions and the damage if any that would occur if you lost it. If you already addressed these things my apologies for not reading the entire thread.

Far as eagles, I would not pay the premium for them to own silver. I'd purchase 100 oz bars or bags of 90% assuming they still have the small premiums they usually do.
  • Options

<< <i>Is 10-12K a lot of money for you? Is it a big percentage of your net worth? If you lost it tomorrow would you want to commit suicide? Would your Wife leave you if you lost 90% of it?

These are all questions to consider before making the leap. I ask this because it appears that 10K is a big big deal for you ( I'm not being sarcastic ) and therefore you should consider these questions and the damage if any that would occur if you lost it. If you already addressed these things my apologies for not reading the entire thread.

Far as eagles, I would not pay the premium for them to own silver. I'd purchase 100 oz bars or bags of 90% assuming they still have the small premiums they usually do. >>

Well 10k for me is a lot of money but also not so much if that makes sense. I Guess between my wife and I we make a little over 100k a year which I suppose makes us middle class. This is money which I came into and want to put it in something solid. I started stacking early last year anyway so metals is something I already believe in. I'm just of the mindset that inflation is coming soon so I'd rather put my cash into something that will hold its value. And If I lose 90% of it I'll just go with the stacker mantra that this is a great time to buy.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Isn't it amazing that the results of the monitary policies of the politicians and fed that now over $100,000.00 a year is middle class? I remember buying a brand new corvette at Malcolm Konner chevrolet in paramus NJ in 1979 for 14 grand. Bought a condo in FT Lauderdale the same year, penthouse fl on A1A ( Vantage View ) for 100K. I was a budding hot shot precious metals buyer sometimes buying so much I was also driving 1800 miles a week just to scrap out. Where's the All's in the Family Theme Song right about now?

It's good to put a little aside and accumulate but over the long term you may want to look at diversifying within your hard asset money.
  • Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 834 ✭✭✭
    If I were starting over right now, and had 10,000 I would buy a $500 face bag of 90% silver
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options
    Well I'm pretty much done with this venture, And I must say it's been kinda fun. I'm right at 10k spent within $50 or so. I did take this opportunity to upgrade my gold type set, In no particular order I got these coins from heritage, Provident, Golden eagle, Ebay, 2 local B&M's and a coin show. No pics yet as some haven't arrived. All the gold and platinum is PCGS.

2 $5 AGE PR69 DCAM
    2 $5 AGE MS69
    2 $10 AGE PR69 DCAM
    1 $10 AGE MS69
    2 $25 Platinum eagle PR69 DCAM
    1 $50 Platinum eagle PR69 DCAM
    1 $10 Indian MS62
    1 $5 Liberty ms62
    1$5 Indian MS61
    1 $2.5 Liberty MS62
    1 $2.5 Indian MS62
    1 Roll 2012 ASE's
    1 Roll 2011 Philharmonics
    1 Roll circulated Morgans mostly fine I'd say
    $75 Face 90% all Franklins or Walkers
  • Options

<< <i>Well I'm pretty much done with this venture, And I must say it's been kinda fun. I'm right at 10k spent within $50 or so. I did take this opportunity to upgrade my gold type set, In no particular order I got these coins from heritage, Provident, Golden eagle, Ebay, 2 local B&M's and a coin show. No pics yet as some haven't arrived. All the gold and platinum is PCGS.

2 $5 AGE PR69 DCAM
    2 $5 AGE MS69
    2 $10 AGE PR69 DCAM
    1 $10 AGE MS69
    2 $25 Platinum eagle PR69 DCAM
    1 $50 Platinum eagle PR69 DCAM
    1 $10 Indian MS62
    1 $5 Liberty ms62
    1$5 Indian MS61
    1 $2.5 Liberty MS62
    1 $2.5 Indian MS62
    1 Roll 2012 ASE's
    1 Roll 2011 Philharmonics
    1 Roll circulated Morgans mostly fine I'd say
    $75 Face 90% all Franklins or Walkers >>

Great move!

I like the circulated morgans the best. Call me old fashioned.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that looks like it was fun! Lots of different personality with that lot!!!

• Options
    1 $10 Indian MS62
    1 $5 Liberty ms62
    1$5 Indian MS61
    1 $2.5 Liberty MS62
    1 $2.5 Indian MS62

These should have been bought certified by PCGS.
  • Options

<< <i>1 $10 Indian MS62
    1 $5 Liberty ms62
    1$5 Indian MS61
    1 $2.5 Liberty MS62
    1 $2.5 Indian MS62

These should have been bought certified by PCGS. >>

Yeah they all are PCGS. I made a typo though the 2.5 Indian is an ms61.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your purchase a lot. Congrat's! MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Good job.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    Nice job. Sorry, I didn't read your statement regarding them all being certified by PCGS.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    nice job overall. personally I would put a little more into silver, but you've got a strong mix there. image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice group, good potential, very liquid, looks fun to look at in the meantime

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry