Options

November 22, 1963

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2022 6:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum
I was in third grade.

Comments

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I was a senior in HS in physics class, taking an exam.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a Jr. in High School in P.E.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freshman in college. I can still visualize where I was standing on campus when the PA announcement was made. Like being hit by a 2X4.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My father was in Dallas that day...
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in 11th grade math class.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Kindergarten.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    HS freshman in graphic science class. All of us baby boomers are bringing out the past memories.
    Paul
  • Options
    I was in utero.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I was in my Junior Year English class.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had accompanied my Dad on a business trip to Atlanta, GA, which allowed me to miss school(no brainer). Dad had a meeting at the stock exchange and I elected to go to a movie, "Palm Springs Weekend" with Troy Donahue and Connie Stevens. When all of sudden across the bottom of the screen in typewriter type it said, "The President of the United States has been assassinated" like on clear tape or something(which it was). We all thought it part of the movie at first, but then it said, "The President of the United States has been fatally shot in Dallas, TX", I got up and went out to the lobby and hundreds of people were standing near a small tv set crying, bawling in total disbelief. There was no question that JFK was a much loved president, but I feel as much pain was being displayed regarding this assassination occurring in our country as much as the fact it occurred to JFK. Our internal safety had now been breached, but unknown to us all, it was only the tip of the iceberg of breaches to come. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    In study hall in high school when the principle came on the PA and announced President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. It wasn't until later we found out he was in fact dead.

Nice trilogy there pete.

I'm surprised the halves did not tone.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    High school freshman, I had been dismissed early to be an altar boy at a senator's funeral at the widow's request. While outside waiting for the funeral to begin the driver of the hearse heard it on the radio of the hearse. Kind of weird, that's the way the whole church group of people found out.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I have always be intrigued with the Kennedy assasination for some reason. I was born 14 years 7 days after it happened, but if something comes on TV about it I find myself glued to it from start to finish.

My mom and dad says it was a tragic moment for this country, one they'll never ever forget.

edited for spelling
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was in utero. >>

I was in ovum...

My Sr. year in HS was the Challenger disaster. I still remember everyone watching the TV in the hall outside the library. Funny how tragedies imprint on our memories so much deeper than a warm summer day spent with loved ones...
  • Options
    3rd grade. Heard about it from our principle, Mr. Gary, over the PA system. 8 years old was too young to realize just how dire the situation really was for the USA. First and only time I ever saw my dad cry.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in the 8th grade.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    I was -27....But my mom and I were in Dallas last year for a Jaguar game...We wen over to Dealey Plaza and went to the museum and everything...It was very interesting, and also very somber.

-Paul
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I wasn't born yet. My memory like this is from the Challenger explosion. I was sitting in astronomy class as a college freshman. However like a previous poster, I too am intrigued by the Kennedy assassination even though it was before my time by about 2 years.
    GMan
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in Mrs. Sorensen's Kindergarten class, I was playing the troll in Three Billygoats Gruff, when the principal entered the room to let us know what had happend.

Now, here is where the story gets interesting.

I was in Southern California (Santa Ana), and while walking to school the following Monday, several older kids pointed to a house along my route and said the guy that shot the President lived there.

I had no idea, so for the next 3 weeks or so I ran like hell past that house to and from school.

Ahh to be young and gullible again.
  • Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in the 7th grade. Heard the news at school.
  • Options
    I was in the 5th grade. Ironically, my mother had taken me to Hobby airport in Houston to see him on the 21st. We stood on the curb right next to a stop sign and the convertible carrying he and Jackie stopped We yelled at them and they turned and waved. Who knew he would be dead less that 24hr later.
    "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I was in 4th grade. It was lunch time and we heard the announcement over the PA system.

I never get tired of seeing those photos.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 5 1/2 yrs old.

Jackie sure looks in shock in the photo next LBJ when he is being sworn in image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was working in the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in NH, as a pipefitter, and when I left the ship to get a part, I heard the news in the pipe shop. Stunned. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Age 10 sitting in Mr. Haaks class....having just gotten my hunting license..I though JFK had been shot while he was out hunting.

the world changed that day. Ozzie and Harriet died along with JFK.
  • Options
    Freshman in high school. Has been prime focus of my collecting since 64.

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Odd, but sad in a way, that back then people were distressed and in tears even when they weren't a huge fans of the man's politics. Today, half of the population would dance on the grave of a fallen political leader if they were in the "wrong" party. We truly live in different times.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was my father's 25th birthday. He was teaching a class of fourth graders.

I was (-2) years old at the time.

PS- very interesting memorabilia in the OP, there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I was 21 yrs. old and my brother and I were hunting Pheasants near Washington Court House, Ohio. Could not believe it at the time and that was just the start of unbelievable things that have happened in this land since!image
    Gary
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in 3rd Grade. It gripped the nation for days.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in 2nd grade when the news came over the intercom. I think they sent us home.

Then I remember watching the funeral on our small b&w TV, and the riderless horse on the way to Arlington.
  • Options

<< <i>Freshman in high school. Has been prime focus of my collecting since 64.

Regards, Larryimage >>

These qualify for FS designation? lol

I'm 25, so the Kennedy assassination was well before my time.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 year old stationed in Germany with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment about 20 miles from the Czech. border. All Units in Germany were placed on high alert, expecting the Russians to launch an attack across the Fulda gap. Yes, we did have a Draft in those days.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in a Maryknoll Seminary in Glen Ellyn, Ill., freshman in college. It was lunch time, and the rector made the announcement that JFK had been shot. He hadn't died at that point.

We all had house chores to do, and I and two other guys were supposed to wash walls. I remember that tall, skinny guy and that short skinny guy dutifully went on to do their chore, while I played hookey and watched Walter Cronkite on TV, walk us through the disaster.

Such events were foreign to us and our idealistic times. We had no idea the historical tumult that would ensue, and that ensues even yet...

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    1st grade. i remember the principal's message over the loudspeaker.

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was between classes and on my way to a study hall in the 9th grade in Parma, Ohio. A few of the other kids were upset about something, but it wasn't until I got to the study hall that the school began feeding the radio through the PA system. Two priests had just gone into the hospital, and the conjecture was that they were going to give JFK the rites. About 20 minutes later, word came that Kennedy had died. One kid clapped when he heard the news, and the study hall monitor, one of the football coaches, went over, picked the kid up out of his seat, and threw him against the wall and shouted "He's the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!" The room was absolutely silent for a few minutes after that, except for the PA system.

Jim
    '
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I was only in the 4th grade but remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time when I heard the news.

Mike
  • Options
    I had just finished Air Force basic training at Lackland AFB San Antonio, Texas. A bunch of us were all set to go find the SOB who had done this to our Commander in Chief.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bossman88, where did you get the Treasury Department set of Kennedy halves? That is a great piece.

On a side note.....if anyone is interested in reading perhaps the definitive telling of the Kennedy assassination, check out Vincent Bugliosi's "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy". It is a HUGE book and includes chapters where he debunks every conspiracy theory out there. The best part of the book is the section which recounts the four days beginning with the assassination and concluding with Kennedy's funeral. It is virtually a minute by minute recounting of the events of those days matching up real timelines of all related events taking place in Dallas those four days. Bugliosi has recently released "Four Days in November" which is essentially that section of the book. Really, once you start this book you won't want put it down.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been there, read that. The Bugliosi book, that is.

Well, OK, I didn't read the whole thing, cover to cover, but checked it out from the library once and read bits and pieces.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our 7th grade social studies teacher announced it to class. Even at that adolescent age we felt the shock and deep sadness. I walked home in a daze and found my tough-as-nails older brother crying in his bedroom.
    Lance.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    I was in Second Grade. We were sent home by the Nuns( parochial school ), who told us that something terrible happened to the President. I vividly remember sitting in front of the TV with my dad and watching Live as Ruby shot Oswald and all hell broke loose.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a freshman in 5th hour Citizenship chass when 2 of the Seniors came in to tell us that President Kennedy had been shot. No PA system then. We came home from church on Sunday and saw Oswald get shot on live TV.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in 3rd grade too, in Campo, California. The principal drove his VW convertible onto the dirt playground, put down the top, and turned on the radio. It seemed like everyone in the tiny school gathered around and listened in dead silence.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Freshman in high school on that day.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in 3rd grade in Belleville, NJ. Early that afternoon someone came to our classroom and handed our teacher a note. Our teacher told us that in the event a President should die that the Vice President became the new President. I had never heard the name Lyndon Johnson before. I did not know what it all meant.

As we walked home from school the crossing guards told us that JFK had been killed - my brother remembers the guards were crying.

We spent that weekend watching the story unfold on television. I don't recall a single commercial. The only break from coverage was late Saturday night when a network ran a short film describing an imaginary journey through the solar system. I mostly remember a sadness that would not lift.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Born in 71, great man, great vision, some didn't see it that way.
    Anyone have a U.S. note?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Still soiling myself.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On June 4, 1963, Executive Order 11110 was signed, with the authority to strip the Federal Reserve
    Bank of its power to loan money to the United States at interest. Would we be better off without the Federal Reserve?
    I guess the assasination of JFK was clear message, mess with the Fed and be eliminated. Wish Bear was here, RIP friend.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 4 years old, but I still remember my father coming home from work early. We didn't own
    a TV, so we went to our neighbor's house to watch the news reports. It was clear to me,
    even at that age, that something momentous had occurred.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file