Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***Official 25th Anniversary ASE Set First Strike®/NFS® PCGS Population Reports....Updated Sunday 02

Comments

• Options

<< <i>You could probably trade two of those Rv Proofs for S mints and have two full sets of 70s. Getting 0/10 sucks though. >>

If there is anybody that want's to trade 2 MS70 2011-S 25th annv first strike eagles for 2 PR70 2011-P Reverse Proof 25th annv first strike eagles you can PM me. Thanks in advance.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You could probably trade two of those Rv Proofs for S mints and have two full sets of 70s. Getting 0/10 sucks though. >>

If there is anybody that want's to trade 2 MS70 2011-S 25th annv first strike eagles for 2 PR70 2011-P Reverse Proof 25th annv first strike eagles you can PM me. Thanks in advance. >>

I'd post this over in the BST and you might get some bites (esp. since the reverse proofs seem to have a slight edge on the S mints lately). Good luck!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

If there is anybody that want's to trade 2 MS70 2011-S 25th annv first strike eagles for 2 PR70 2011-P Reverse Proof 25th annv first strike eagles you can PM me. Thanks in advance. >>

I'd post this over in the BST and you might get some bites (esp. since the reverse proofs seem to have a slight edge on the S mints lately). Good luck! >>

image Traded a 70 reverse proof for 70 S and also traded a 69 s for 69 reverse. Now I have 1 70 set and 1 69 set if you use the BST it only costs the postage of sending them and I for one was very happy with the bst trades I made. Enjoy tom image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody for the help. Ervil
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks everybody for the help. Ervil

P.S. What is the BST? >>

I was going to say blood, sweat, and tears.....so I won't!

It's Buy, Sell, Trade Forum. image
  • Options

<< <i>Hello Goldbully: I have been watching this thread for some time now and was waiting to receive my 10 sets back so I can see how they fared compared to everybody elses. I choose to have First Strikes and to get the flag holder. These sets were received one week apart from the Mint. The first five sets were received 11/07/2011 and the second five sets were received from the Mint on 11/14/2011. I can prove that latter received sets have no difference on the grade of the coins:

The 2011-S coins I received 0/70 grades out of 10.
    The 2011 no mint mark coins had 2/70 grades out of 10.
    The 2011-W coins had 4/70 grades out of 10.
    The 2011-W Proof coins had 3/70 grades out of 10.
    The 2011-P Reverse Proof coins had 4/70 grades out of 10.

How can the most expensive coin not even have 1 70 graded coin? At least I only had 1 PR68DC and all the rest of the coins graded 69. I am very disappointed with these grades and when these coins were received from the Mint a week apart can't explain why the 2011-S has no 70 grades. It has to be 1 grader grading all 10 of the 2011-S coins and it must have been a Monday?? I don't have the coins back yet and was wondering if a person could have PCGS take a second look at those 2011-S coins and see if the grader was asleep at the wheel? I don't think it is right that one person can decide whether your going to buy groceries or not just because they are having a bad hair day? I think I should have sold all of them raw sealed in the boxes. At least I would have doubled my money. >>

Hello Ervil.....you bring a lot to the table....I will be updating the Pops in a few short New Year's Hours!!! image
  • Options

The two keys are really starting to tighten when it comes to achieving a 70 grade....especially look at the Non First Strikes!!!!! image

As of 01/01/12

First Strike®..............

Non First Strike............................

• Options

<< <i>The two keys are really starting to tighten when it comes to achieving a 70 grade....especially look at the Non First Strikes!!!!! image

As of 01/01/12

image >>

This is very eye opening.image
  • Options
    Thanks, Goldbully, for the updated pops!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks, Goldbully, for the updated pops! >>

You're welcome PinkFloyd!!
    Now I can get the Pops to the top of the page for the night shift!!!

As of 01/01/12

• Options
    It makes sense that the non-FS pieces receive fewer 70s.

After all, they spent more time traveling around and were struck on tired dies to boot! image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    For the 1/1/12, FS vs NFS results posted -

FS S 70 = 5167 of 9847 = 52.47%
    FS S 69 = 4462 0f 9847 = 45.31%

FS RP 70 = 5288 of 9854 = 53.66%
    FS RP 69 = 4319 of 9854 = 43.83%

NFS S 70 = 82 of 323 = 25.39%
    NFS S 69 = 227 0f 323 = 70.28%

NFS RP 70 = 94 of 306 = 30.72%
    NFS RP 69 = 190 of 306 = 62.09%
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It makes sense that the non-FS pieces receive fewer 70s.

After all, they spent more time traveling around and were struck on tired dies to boot! image >>

Again, just because they were submitted as non-FS doesn't mean they didn't qualify for FS... some of us just don't like paying the extra money for two extra words to be printed on the labels. I got my box the first week they shipped and I sent mine non-FS and got grades consistent with the non-FS pop reports posted.

Also, you should be able to ship the coins 100 times across the country and the grade shouldn't change as long as they stay in the capsules. And that wouldn't be the difference between a 69 and a 70. If the coins popped out of the capsules during shipment they wouldn't grade 69 anyways... those are the 65-67 grades that show up in the reports.

• Options

After all, they spent more time traveling around and were struck on tired dies to boot! image >>

If this post is not sarcastic you really need to get a better grip on minting practices and the things that affect condition.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if I went through 20 sets of opened FS eligible 25th Anniv coins and selected the best 20 coins to submit from the 40 keys in those sets, and let's say 15/20 graded 70...

a whopping 75% grade through rate would appear in the pop report for those 20 key coins under the FS section; yet...

the actual grade through rate would have been 37.5% on those 40 key coins (had PCGS seen the 20 "junkers" too)

Wondercoin

Edited to add...

let's say I sell off the 25 non-70 keys and for whatever reason some or all of them get submitted to PCGS by the next owner ... that future grade through rate on the non-FS coins could be 0% and perfectly understandable.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>So, if I went through 20 sets of opened FS eligible 25th Anniv coins and selected the best 20 coins to submit from the 40 keys in those sets, and let's say 15/20 graded 70...

a whopping 75% grade through rate would appear in the pop report for those 20 key coins under the FS section; yet...

the actual grade through rate would have been 37.5% on those 40 key coins (had PCGS seen the 20 "junkers" too)

Wondercoin >>

True but that does absolutely squat to address the very real discrepency between FS and non FS coins that are not keys, since they cannot be screened.
  • Options
    I said it once ..and I'll say it again..If you paid for a premium First Strke submission..you were more likely to get a 70 as opposed to Not paying a premium...It's just funny that way..
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    More 70s than 69s? hmm...
  • Options

<< <i>I said it once ..and I'll say it again..If you paid for a premium First Strke submission..you were more likely to get a 70 as opposed to Not paying a premium...It's just funny that way.. >>

When you really analyze it, it is nearly impossible to arrive at any other conclusion.image The implications, if that is the case, are enormous.
  • Options
    Chipper 10 ... see my edit to add another related comment.

Regarding the 3 "common" coins .... let's see when there are 1,000 non-FS coins graded if the numbers start closing in on each other. 300 vs. nearly 10,000 right now ... not sure how statistically accurate that comparison is. I would have to bring in my Chemistry major son to assist me with that analysis

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Chipper 10 ... see my edit to add another related comment.

Regarding the 3 "common" coins .... let's see when there are 1,000 non-FS coins graded if the numbers start closing in on each other. 300 vs. nearly 10,000 right now ... not sure how statistically accurate that comparison is. I would have to bring in my Chemistry major son to assist me with that analysis

Wondercoin >>

Wondercoin,

OK, it will be interesting but at the grade through rate and current price level of the set, I doubt we'll ever see 1000 non FS sets graded. I don't want to see what I see in the population reports, but you have to admit it looks very bad.
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Again, just because they were submitted as non-FS doesn't mean they didn't qualify for FS... some of us just don't like paying the extra money for two extra words to be printed on the labels. I got my box the first week they shipped and I sent mine non-FS and got grades consistent with the non-FS pop reports posted.

Also, you should be able to ship the coins 100 times across the country and the grade shouldn't change as long as they stay in the capsules. And that wouldn't be the difference between a 69 and a 70. If the coins popped out of the capsules during shipment they wouldn't grade 69 anyways... those are the 65-67 grades that show up in the reports. >>

Agreed on all points! Based on these numbers, does anyone think the non-FS 70s will sell for a premium in the market? If so, would PCGS reholder a FS as a non-FS????? Also, does anyone have any experience with the premium (if any) that a NGC ER carries over a non-ER? I ask because I have a sealed FS eligible box of 5, and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. I know I could just sell it and let someone else deal with it, but that's the easy way out. Plus, I want to keep at least a few of the sets.

In hindsight, I probably should have sent them ATS before the ER deadline, but that ship has sailed. Based on the pop reports, sending them to PCGS for non-FS labels seems like a guaranteed money loser. I also have a terrible feeling, based on the shared reports, that flag labels are grading the same as non-FS, so going for those also looks like a guaranteed money loser, since the market premium for 70 coins I would expect to receive, based on the shared pop reports, would not cover the grading fees lost on the expected non-70 coins.

So the only real options for me seem to be: (1) do nothing and have a sealed box collect dust in a closet for an indefinite period of time; (2) sell the box and buy a graded set to enjoy; (3) pay the big bucks for tombstones or Mercantis, and pray they grade as they apparently would have 6 weeks ago (in the beginning, when pretty much all FS were the bulk submissions, they were pulling 60-70% 70s, while the non-FS were pulling the same 30% they are today); or (4) send them ATS for non-ER grading, thereby destroying whatever incremental value results from a FS or ER designation.

Does anyone have any constructive advice, or have an alternative I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance! -- Mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Also, you should be able to ship the coins 100 times across the country and the grade shouldn't change as long as they stay in the capsules. And that wouldn't be the difference between a 69 and a 70. If the coins popped out of the capsules during shipment they wouldn't grade 69 anyways... those are the 65-67 grades that show up in the reports. >>

Agreed on all points! Based on these numbers, does anyone think the non-FS 70s will sell for a premium in the market? If so, would PCGS reholder a FS as a non-FS????? Also, does anyone have any experience with the premium (if any) that a NGC ER carries over a non-ER? I ask because I have a sealed FS eligible box of 5, and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. I know I could just sell it and let someone else deal with it, but that's the easy way out. Plus, I want to keep at least a few of the sets.

In hindsight, I probably should have sent them ATS before the ER deadline, but that ship has sailed. Based on the pop reports, sending them to PCGS for non-FS labels seems like a guaranteed money loser. I also have a terrible feeling, based on the shared reports, that flag labels are grading the same as non-FS, so going for those also looks like a guaranteed money loser, since the market premium for 70 coins I would expect to receive, based on the shared pop reports, would not cover the grading fees lost on the expected non-70 coins.

So the only real options for me seem to be: (1) do nothing and have a sealed box collect dust in a closet for an indefinite period of time; (2) sell the box and buy a graded set to enjoy; (3) pay the big bucks for tombstones or Mercantis, and pray they grade as they apparently would have 6 weeks ago (in the beginning, when pretty much all FS were the bulk submissions, they were pulling 60-70% 70s, while the non-FS were pulling the same 30% they are today); or (4) send them ATS for non-ER grading, thereby destroying whatever incremental value results from a FS or ER designation.

Does anyone have any constructive advice, or have an alternative I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance! -- Mark >>

I sent 6 sets plus an additional RP and S ATS (32 coins). I got 20 MS 70's. To have 4 complete MS 70 sets I needed to buy a regular proof from Ebay. I got 5 regular bullion 70's. Four of seven coins of both the RP and S graded MS 70 and 3 of each graded MS 69. I don't regret having them graded ATS at all compared to the results submitters are getting from PCGS. I can't imagine non ER coins would sell for much of a discount over ER.
  • Options

<< <i>So, if I went through 20 sets of opened FS eligible 25th Anniv coins and selected the best 20 coins to submit from the 40 keys in those sets, and let's say 15/20 graded 70...

Wondercoin

Edited to add...

let's say I sell off the 25 non-70 keys and for whatever reason some or all of them get submitted to PCGS by the next owner ... that future grade through rate on the non-FS coins could be 0% and perfectly understandable. >>

Wonder -- Why do you insist on only focusing on the 2 keys? We have a very fresh pop report in front of us, and it clearly shows only 500 out of 9,800 coins (or a little more than 5%) were possibly cherry picked. Moreover, the percent of 70s on those two keys is actually a little lower on average than on the other 3 coins. The discrepancy between FS and non-FS is undeniable for all 5 coins, and, based on shared reports, really seems to be between bulk and regular submissions. (Shared FS flags seem to be grading the same as non-FS.) Please look at the numbers for the 3 sight unseen non-keys and try to explain them, rather than simply focusing on the fact that the keys could have been manipulated, even though the pop reports suggest that they weren't (both because of the tiny number of keys only submitted as compared to full sets and because the actual 70 rates for the keys is slightly below that of the non-keys).
  • Options
    I don't see why PCGS wouldn't reholder them as a non-FS label if the price ever began to favor non-FS. It's hard to say why it appears more difficult to get non-FS 70s. Is the pace slowing for recent FS? If so, that might indicate that some coins are starting to spot up with a little time as Wonder mentioned earlier.

I can imagine there are some other plausible reasons, though I better not discuss them here.
  • Options
    I was responding to epcjimi1's recent posting. His post referrred to only key date coins, as my reply did.

I know we had our fun discussions a few days ago with more of a general theme to it.

Wondercoin

• Options

<< <i>I don't see why PCGS wouldn't reholder them as a non-FS label if the price ever began to favor non-FS. It's hard to say why it appears more difficult to get non-FS 70s. Is the pace slowing for recent FS? If so, that might indicate that some coins are starting to spot up with a little time as Wonder mentioned earlier.

I can imagine there are some other plausible reasons, though I better not discuss them here. >>

Pink -- Anything is certainly possible, and, being new to this, I am far from an expert. That said, I can only go by what I see, and what I see has been pretty consistent from the beginning. There was a spreadsheet posted on 12/18 that clearly illustrated grading trends from week 1 on. Grading in week 1 was much more generous than in any week since, and grading from week 2 through 7 has been very consistent. Did spotting occur after the first week? Probably not.

Also, as I've said before, all of the anecdotal evidence available through the shared reports indicates that individual flag FS grades have been tracking closely with the non-FS in the published pop report, strongly implying that the non-bulk submissions (both FS and non-FS) have been receiving 25-35% 70s while bulk submissions have been receiving 60-70% 70s. For the published FS 70s, the bulk and regular submissions seem to be blending to result in the 52-57% 70s being reported. This has been consistent from week 2 through today, possibly because non-bulk submissions started showing up in week 2. To the extent that grading appears to be getting a little tighter, my non-expert opinion is that is due to the mix of bulk to regular submissions starting to tilt away from bulk, as compared to the first few weeks.
  • Options
    Does it remind some the history with 2010 ATBs? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't see why PCGS wouldn't reholder them as a non-FS label if the price ever began to favor non-FS. It's hard to say why it appears more difficult to get non-FS 70s. Is the pace slowing for recent FS? If so, that might indicate that some coins are starting to spot up with a little time as Wonder mentioned earlier.

I can imagine there are some other plausible reasons, though I better not discuss them here. >>

Pink -- Anything is certainly possible, and, being new to this, I am far from an expert. That said, I can only go by what I see, and what I see has been pretty consistent from the beginning. There was a spreadsheet posted on 12/18 that clearly illustrated grading trends from week 1 on. Grading in week 1 was much more generous than in any week since, and grading from week 2 through 7 has been very consistent. Did spotting occur after the first week? Probably not.

Also, as I've said before, all of the anecdotal evidence available through the shared reports indicates that individual flag FS grades have been tracking closely with the non-FS in the published pop report, strongly implying that the non-bulk submissions (both FS and non-FS) have been receiving 25-35% 70s while bulk submissions have been receiving 60-70% 70s. For the published FS 70s, the bulk and regular submissions seem to be blending to result in the 52-57% 70s being reported. This has been consistent from week 2 through today, possibly because non-bulk submissions started showing up in week 2. To the extent that grading appears to be getting a little tighter, my non-expert opinion is that is due to the mix of bulk to regular submissions starting to tilt away from bulk, as compared to the first few weeks. >>

Some blind tests between bulk and non-bulk 70 coins would be interesting (by blind I mean you can't see the label). Who has a million bucks and wants to buy a bunch of coins?
  • Options

<< <i>I was responding to epcjimi1's recent posting. His post referrred to only key date coins, as my reply did.

I know we had our fun discussions a few days ago with more of a general theme to it.

Wondercoin >>

That we did! image

You seem to really know what you are talking about; that's why I'm so anxious for your take on this. As I've said multiple times, I'm pretty new to this, and I just want to avoid costly mistakes, if possible. I'm leaning towards submitting my box bulk. Of course, with my luck, I will have been correct in my observation, and by the time I make my submission PCGS will make corrections to the grading disparities, resulting in the bulks grading at the same 25-35% 70s the others currently are. image -- Mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Also, as I've said before, all of the anecdotal evidence available through the shared reports indicates that individual flag FS grades have been tracking closely with the non-FS in the published pop report, strongly implying that the non-bulk submissions (both FS and non-FS) have been receiving 25-35% 70s while bulk submissions have been receiving 60-70% 70s. For the published FS 70s, the bulk and regular submissions seem to be blending to result in the 52-57% 70s being reported. This has been consistent from week 2 through today, possibly because non-bulk submissions started showing up in week 2. To the extent that grading appears to be getting a little tighter, my non-expert opinion is that is due to the mix of bulk to regular submissions starting to tilt away from bulk, as compared to the first few weeks. >>

Some blind tests between bulk and non-bulk 70 coins would be interesting (by blind I mean you can't see the label). Who has a million bucks and wants to buy a bunch of coins? >>

Would be VERY interesting! Of course, the question would still remain whether bulks had 69s generously graded as 70s, or whether non-bulks had possible 70s harshly graded down to 69s in order to keep the 70 pops down. Of course, the latter would be much more difficult to show than the former.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have any constructive advice, or have an alternative I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance! -- Mark >>

Sell your sealed box for $3500 and go hit Goldmart for a 70 set to keep for about $1250.

MHO.

edit to add - or get with Mitch (WC) and see if he has a killer deal, a couple days ago his BST mentioned a potential 70 set combo deal, I don't know the particulars.
  • Options
    @NJCoin

As epcjimi1 already suggested one of the options PM Mitch aka Wondercoin if you want an easy "box" deal.

I've traded my 2 boxes of 5 sets with him for some ca$h and 70 sets (details are commercial secret image after failing my own grading experiment with another box of 5

It beats the hassle of selling/grading/gambling.

The plus - you will know upfront what you get and exactly how much it will net

The minus - you will miss the thrill of the gambling and possibly leave some money on the table

Good luck either way image
  • Options
    johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭
    I thought there was a raffle - prize for guessing the closing price on a unsealed set of 5 at new end? anyone know where that thread was and a result. i looked in the give away section, but think it is long lost in the general section? ? ?
  • Options
    rodzmrodzm Posts: 675
    If someone has deep pockets to do an experiment maybe that person can crack out a 70 Mercanti or Tombstone set and resubmit it. I bet the grades wont come back the sameimage
  • Options
    AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    Rodzm: Think it depends. I found an S Mercanti that's in flawless condition =)
    Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If someone has deep pockets to do an experiment maybe that person can crack out a 70 Mercanti or Tombstone set and resubmit it. I bet the grades wont come back the sameimage >>

Why don't we just look for 70's with flaws? No on has yet to report one that I know of.
  • Options
    Are frost breaks considered flows? If yes - I have both 2011-S Mercanti and 2011-P Reverse Proof Tombstone 70 with small frost breaks
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Now that enough numbers are in, It would be a huge leap of faith to assume there is an even playing field. No?
  • Options

<< <i>Now that enough numbers are in, It would be a huge leap of faith to assume there is an even playing field. No? >>

Depends on whether or not you ever considered buying the Brooklyn Bridgeimage
  • Options

<< <i>@NJCoin

As epcjimi1 already suggested one of the options PM Mitch aka Wondercoin if you want an easy "box" deal.

I've traded my 2 boxes of 5 sets with him for some ca$h and 70 sets (details are commercial secret image after failing my own grading experiment with another box of 5

The minus - you will miss the thrill of the gambling and possibly leave some money on the table

Good luck either way image >>

Thank you both for your well reasoned advice. I really appreciate it. It makes sense based on current prices, since it actually leaves relatively little money on the table, based on the costs of grading and the expected yield of 70 sets. The only reason I wouldn't do it now is that I really believe these will be worth way more than $700 each in the future, so I hate to cash out now just so that I can enjoy them. That's the attraction for me of having them graded -- not the gambling aspect, but the ability to enjoy them in the present and also reap future price appreciation. If I could be assured that the bulk grading results will hold going forward, or that NGC non-ERs will not sell at a big discount to ERs, a decision would be easy. Of course, there are no guarantees, which is why I am fishing for ideas. image Thanks again. -- Mark
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>@NJCoin

Good luck either way image >>

Thank you both for your well reasoned advice. I really appreciate it. It makes sense based on current prices, since it actually leaves relatively little money on the table, based on the costs of grading and the expected yield of 70 sets. The only reason I wouldn't do it now is that I really believe these will be worth way more than $700 each in the future, so I hate to cash out now just so that I can enjoy them. That's the attraction for me of having them graded -- not the gambling aspect, but the ability to enjoy them in the present and also reap future price appreciation. If I could be assured that the bulk grading results will hold going forward, or that NGC non-ERs will not sell at a big discount to ERs, a decision would be easy. Of course, there are no guarantees, which is why I am fishing for ideas. image Thanks again. -- Mark >>

If you want a set to enjoy while waiting for them to appreciate in value why not just buy a set in your preferred flavor. MS 69's are dirt cheap right now and still are excellent coins for enjoying.
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>@NJCoin

Thank you both for your well reasoned advice. I really appreciate it. It makes sense based on current prices, since it actually leaves relatively little money on the table, based on the costs of grading and the expected yield of 70 sets. The only reason I wouldn't do it now is that I really believe these will be worth way more than $700 each in the future, so I hate to cash out now just so that I can enjoy them. That's the attraction for me of having them graded -- not the gambling aspect, but the ability to enjoy them in the present and also reap future price appreciation. If I could be assured that the bulk grading results will hold going forward, or that NGC non-ERs will not sell at a big discount to ERs, a decision would be easy. Of course, there are no guarantees, which is why I am fishing for ideas. image Thanks again. -- Mark >>

And thank you Mark for posting your intelligent questions and analysis here. I'm in exactly the same situation as you are here in holding a box of five and 'really' wanting to enjoy them....... I'd LOVE to rip that box open and gaze at those sparkling sets !!!
    Additionally, I'd like to make the most reasoned decision for profit in this little venture. I've been following his thread and related threads with keen interest and trailing your train of thought and reasoning on the matter...... Nice to have someone posting the same questions that are running through my head and allowing them to do the gritty work in typing them out..... Thank you againimage

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Thanks for the updates! I got out of collecting for a couple years (bought a house-- errrrr, committed to 30 years of debt) and missed out on ordering the set from the mint. Ended up getting 5 sets off ebay and sent for grading last week (received on the 29th). Nervously awaiting the results.... Is it common to check the order status a dozen times a day?!?!?! image

P.S. I think this is my first post here! YAYA!
  • Options
    GOWYOGOWYO Posts: 141 ✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the updates! I got out of collecting for a couple years (bought a house-- errrrr, committed to 30 years of debt) and missed out on ordering the set from the mint. Ended up getting 5 sets off ebay and sent for grading last week (received on the 29th). Nervously awaiting the results.... Is it common to check the order status a dozen times a day?!?!?! image

P.S. I think this is my first post here! YAYA! >>

Welcome to the boards liberty. I too am new and I sent a single set into our host on the 20th and I constantly check my order status. Im hoping to get my set back by the 15th...

Successful BST with : Wondercoin, DenverDave
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the updates! I got out of collecting for a couple years (bought a house-- errrrr, committed to 30 years of debt) and missed out on ordering the set from the mint. Ended up getting 5 sets off ebay and sent for grading last week (received on the 29th). Nervously awaiting the results.... Is it common to check the order status a dozen times a day?!?!?! image

P.S. I think this is my first post here! YAYA! >>

Congratulations on sticking your toes into the water here and a warm welcome from this relatively new member!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    The difference between FS and NFS results suggest to me that something is acting on the grading process for such different results to be obtained.

I'm not suggesting nor think that the differences are a deliberate decision or act by anybody.

Rather, I think the differences are a result of the same criteria applied in a subjective manner by two different sets of graders, one set of graders does the FS, the other set of graders is grading the NFS.

Don't know what else it could be.
  • Options

<< <i>The difference between FS and NFS results suggest to me that something is acting on the grading process for such different results to be obtained.

I'm not suggesting nor think that the differences are a deliberate decision or act by anybody.

Rather, I think the differences are a result of the same criteria applied in a subjective manner by two different sets of graders, one set of graders does the FS, the other set of graders is grading the NFS.

Don't know what else it could be. >>

You could very well be correct but if so it is still a big problem and needs fixed pronto. I'd say it is more likely one set of graders is doing bulk and another doing non bulk. The disparity makes me want to jump right out of the grading game (at least with our host).
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcomes.

Hoping that the graders are still in a good mood from the holidays. Also hoping I didn't piss them off by leaving the peanuts in the package. HAHA!
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The difference between FS and NFS results suggest to me that something is acting on the grading process for such different results to be obtained.

Don't know what else it could be. >>

You could very well be correct but if so it is still a big problem and needs fixed pronto. I'd say it is more likely one set of graders is doing bulk and another doing non bulk. The disparity makes me want to jump right out of the grading game (at least with our host). >>

Agreed. In just looking at the pop reports and the shared orders that have been posted and seeing how they have been no way consistent with the results of the early bulk submissions (which were from the very same pool of coins and were also sent in sealed) was enough to get me to send a sealed box of 5 sets and a few extra loose reverse proofs and 2011-S coins to another grading service last week instead of our host...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file