Home Precious Metals
Options

Okay so I bought 100 .100 fine Mexican Un Peso Coins for $100 flat? Burried?

Was this a mistake? They are all UNC/BU and have 1.6 g. of silver in each at a $1 each how hosed am I?

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did good...bought about $150 worth of silver based on todays spot for $100.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    There are 31.1 grams in a troy oz, so if silver is at $31.10, one gram equals $1.00 in silver.

So it looks like you paid a buck for about $1.50 worth of Ag.

• Options
    vibr0nicvibr0nic Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are 31.1 grams in a troy oz, so if silver is at $31.10, one gram equals $1.00 in silver.

So it looks like you paid a buck for about $1.50 worth of Ag. >>

He bought 100 x 1.6 g each. That's 160 g or 5.14 ozt pure. At current spot, that's roughly $150. Sounds like $100 was a good deal.
    I like large size currency and silver dollars.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    you buried whom ever you bought them from.

now go back and make it right! NOT!!!!!image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On paper, you did fine. Depends on when it comes time to sell.
    Are they harder to sell than other forms? For instance, a 40% Kennedy half may be "worth" a certain price for its silver content, but one usually has to settle for a bit less since most don't want to deal with anything less than 90%.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was my thought too bochi

if 40% and war nickels are the ugly stepsister of silver bullion, what does that make 10%?

old maid with warts, cellulite, and a big goiter, maybe that's why the discount for doing the seller a favor

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I think its a good deal, now you have something to buy a burger with when SHTF. Lets see pics! That is, if you have a macro lensimage----------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>You did good...bought about $150 worth of silver based on todays spot for $100. >>

There may be $150 in silver in them, but not many people will pay anywhere near melt for them.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you were selling, you would do well to break even. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that was my thought too bochi

if 40% and war nickels are the ugly stepsister of silver bullion, what does that make 10%?

old maid with warts, cellulite, and a big goiter, maybe that's why the discount for doing the seller a favor >>

image Baley they all need love! Quit talking about 12pack babes like thatimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think its a good deal, now you have something to buy a burger with when SHTF. Lets see pics! That is, if you have a macro lensimage----------------BigE >>

It doesn't take a macro lense to see these. They are actually large (almost crown-size) coins, just don't have a lot of silver in them. Due to their low fineness, they don't wear very well, IMHO.

Here are a couple of pics from an unrelated ebay listing (not mine) ...
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the lawn service will take them for real value?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    oops .10? i didn't read the topic correctly

maybe not
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're buried in the silver value. You'll be luck to get 25c on the dollar for silver.

The good news is that if these are really unc then you made out like a bandit. These
    coins are actually quite desirable in unc and very underappreciated. Some of the early
    dates are rarely seen in unc. Only the '64 and '65 are really common in unc but they should
    be worth $1.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I stick with American silver! Haha
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    OK no burger, you get a bean taco.-------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    I wonder if the lawn service will take them for real value?

No but they will work for Pesos and Tecate Beer, hell the Jack in the Box even has a conversion table for peso's in the drive thru window down here in South Texas.
  • Options
    Maybe I should take them to the San Antonio gun show weekend, if people will pay $3-$5 for 1 oz copper coins (seriously) bet I could get a few bucks each for these! Barter baby!