Home Precious Metals

Aussie Lunar 2012 Dragons

Comments

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>how about the 1/4 oz proof gold? how well is it doing sales wise? >>

They currently have 97 in stock. 84 of the one ounce Proofs.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, it was the GOLD dragon. I'm after the silvers...I think they will appreciate much better.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ahh, it was the GOLD dragon. I'm after the silvers...I think they will appreciate much better. >>

Which one the 1oz silver or the 2 oz silver dragonsimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
    One ounce. Bullion is limited to 300k, proof 5k. All the others are minted to demand.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One ounce. Bullion is limited to 300k, proof 5k. All the others are minted to demand. >>

Not quite, the silver 1/2 and 2oz proof are limited qty as well and far less than the 5k proof one ounce.

• << <i>

<< <i>One ounce. Bullion is limited to 300k, proof 5k. All the others are minted to demand. >>

Not quite, the silver 1/2 and 2oz proof are limited qty as well and far less than the 5k proof one ounce. >>

Never heard of 1/2 and 2oz dragon proofs by themselves, 1oz, 3coin and kilo are all Perth released.

• << <i>One Ounce Dragons at APMEX. >>

Strange that apmex price for 1oz and 3coin gold proofs are $400 less than Perth issue price?? Is that a mistake, or just incentive by apmex to buyers to get them sold asap because they aren't selling fast at Perth. Heck that Apemx 1oz price isn't that far from the 1oz BU gold with a tenth of the mintage. Seems like a screaming buy to me but hate where gold is going right now. 1/10 and 1/4 proofs are right at issue price. Watching sell rate on the 1/10 ozers, at their current rate should be sold out in about a month, dropping gold spot isn't helping.

Also got my first order of 1oz silver dragons Wedsnesday - really nice coin.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Also got my first order of 1oz silver dragons Wedsnesday - really nice coin. >>

imageimage

Loves me some shiny!
  • 1 oz. gold available at gainesville $300 over spot 90 left
  • Hi everyone... I have been out of the loop for a few months, but I am back now.

I was eagerly awaiting the silver Proof Lunar Dragons, and when I got the email alert from Perth, I was there (the website) in 10 minutes or less, and GONE!!!!! I think they sent me an alert WAY after the silver proofs were gone. I did manage to get in my orders at APMEX for the Bullion versions of the silver 1/2, 2, 5, 10, and Kilos, (I wanted to get them from Gainesville, but they did not make them available as quickly).

I am still on the hunt for the Silver Proofs, and I guess I am wondering when the enameled versions, and diamond eyed versions will go on sale.

Does anyone have any info regarding the release dates on these? Has anyone bought directly from the Perth mint site? I am registered for the collector coins site, not the bullion site.
  • Now only 10 at $315 over

<< <i>1 oz. gold available at gainesville $300 over spot 90 left >>

Thank you for posting! Got me some Dragon.

The limit of 10 per order you are seeing may not reflect the actual number remaining.

Miles
  • It had said limit 90 available for order before that. Then it was 10 a few hrs later.
    I keep checking for the silvers, figured they would get them at the same time.
  • Still undecided on the gold. The mintage is 30,000 I think for the bullion version (they call all the bullion versions "brilliant uncirculated", but I think they are really a "reverse proof", which looks nicer to me actually), but the upside potential is higher for the silver I would think, despite the higher mintage.
    MCM has 'em now.

See Linky

$149 for NGC MS69's 1 oz silvers (98 avail at this time). $2095 for same in gold. Not bad prices compared to what can be had on eBay. $2122 at Gainesville.

[no affiliation with MCM]

I'm still waiting for them to hit our domestic bullion dealers.

edited w/stat's
    Leave it to MCM to come up with the best pricing on the One Ounce Gold regardless of CC or wire pricing!

• KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    have i missed somthing? I have seen everything raw except the 1 oz silver bullion. MCM has them graded but can't find one raw in capsule. Has anyone seen these and if so how much they getting for them.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
    The major domestic dealers have not yet received their 1 oz silver bullion allocations from the Perth Mint, or so they say. The rumor I heard was that a significant portion of the 300k mintage went "overseas", much to the anger of Aussie/European dealers. I hope to see them start to show up here any time now. Question is -- at what premium?
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinks of the ATB 5oz to me. We don't have any singles, but funny we have 10k for sale graded.
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    1 oz Silver Dragons now available at Apmex. 1 per customer and must have previously ordered Lunar coins or had an alert to be eligible.
    $99 each!
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Thanks.... I got mine.... It looks like they had 3500 to start. They had 3474 after my purchase. I did not get an alert though, so how did you find it (It does not appear on the regular list page)?

• ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    1 oz gold Dragons available too. I got a text alert and an email about the gold??? Prices good through Friday.

Edited....I only received the gold alert at noon and the silver alert at 3:05 west coast time...sorry for confusion.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
    Gainsville 1 oz silver dragons:

$118 - 1000 limit

Loves me some shiny!
  • I had alerts set up at both but got neither for the silver 1 oz
    $115 is crazy $70 ea. markup
    I had been waiting to buy some (100-200) but not at those prices

<< <i>I had alerts set up at both but got neither for the silver 1 oz
    $115 is crazy $70 ea. markup
    I had been waiting to buy some (100-200) but not at those prices >>

Why does Gainsville have a compelling reason to sell you a coin for $50 that is going for $125 on Ebay?

Loves me some shiny!
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    numismatic premium!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• They can charge what they want. I'm just saying that i'm not buying at those prices.
  • Just got my APMEX alert.

The 2012 Year of the Dragon 1 oz Silver coins have been highly anticipated around the globe. With over 2 million requests received by the Perth Mint, the total mintage of only 300,000 coins has made the 2012 Silver Dragon even harder to find.

Due to the overwhelming demand, the 1 oz. Silver Dragon coin will only be available to customers who have previously purchased 1 oz. Silver Australian Lunar Series 2 coins from us, or those who participated in the AlertMe! feature. In order to accommodate as many requests as possible, each customer may purchase only 1 coin at this time. We appreciate your understanding. To show our appreciation, we are offering this 2012 1 oz. Silver Dragon coin at a one-time-only price of $99.99. This special offer extends to Friday, September 23, 2011, or while supplies last. These products will ship by October 4, 2011 or sooner.
    Click here for the 2012 Silver Dragon

Respectfully,

The American Precious Metals Exchange

Also, Just bought a few more from Gainesvillecoin. The price is not great, but still cheaper than eBay. I will hold off a little, and hope for a better price down the road to get more. I see that APMEX also removed the listing from the usual page of all the 2012 Dragons, presumably so that people could not add an alert for the old listing to try and get a coin now.

It reminds me of ATB all over again. My guess is that they have another 3500+ that they will slab and sell at a higher premium.

I also let them know at APMEX (via chat) that Gainesville has a 1000 coin limit, and they seemed surprised. Maybe that will get them to change the limit (doubt it though). Good luck everyone.

It is Dragon Time.....
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    What about the 1 oz Silver Dragon Proofs? Someone is selling them in Ebay for $599 each...they have like 10 available and sold 4 so far,,, if i am not mistaken....Will the price go up much higher later?
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    I just got my alert from ampex as well. $112 with credit card and shipping.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

• << <i>What about the 1 oz Silver Dragon Proofs? Someone is selling them in Ebay for $599 each...they have like 10 available and sold 4 so far,,, if i am not mistaken....Will the price go up much higher later? >>

The proofs will have a higher price in the long run, because the mintages are lower. They also sell them at different prices. The Proof 1oz are originally sold for around 100, but the bullion 1oz are originally sold for around 46-50. Also, there are 60 Bullion 1 oz coins for every 1 proof 1oz coin.

According to the Perth Mint "collectibles" site, the Proof Versions have the following mintages:

"Extremely Limited Mintages: No more than 5,000 1oz coins, 500 kilo coins and 1,000 three-coin sets will be released."

According to the Perth Mint "Bullion" site, the Bullion Versions (aka brilliant uncirculated, aka reverse proof) have the following mintages:

"Australian Lunar Silver Bullion Coin Series: In each year of issue, the following Australian Lunar 99.9% pure silver bullion coins are subject to maximum mintage restrictions:
    Weight Maximum Mintage
    10kg 500
    1oz 300,000"
  • I ordered a few (1 oz. silver) from Gainesville an hour ago. They are now sold out!

Also got the APMEX message. I think I will take advantage of the $99 offer.

• << <i>I ordered a few (1 oz. silver) from Gainesville an hour ago. They are now sold out!

Also got the APMEX message. I think I will take advantage of the $99 offer. >>

Wow.... sold out? They just went on sale at around 6pm EST? That is less than 4 hrs... They did have a cap at 1000, so maybe there were 4-5 big orders?
    Wow - a sudden blast today. I got an alert from APMEX, but not Gainesville. I just checked Gaines and saw them available -- bought immediately and thankful now.

UNLESS they are holding out for slabs, AND it is possible they did not get their full allocation from the Perth since the mint is behind in production.

Today's actions could set the lower bar for these. But like another post suggested, the air smells fishy since the ATB debacle.

Think APMEX will open the gates to all and unlimited after the 23rd?
    I think Gainesville got hit hard and fast, as one would expect with this VERY hot issue.

I believe if they do it again, there will be a limit.

APMEX at least sent me an alert. I had no idea about Gaines until it was too late.

It is kinda refreshing to see a rush of speculation on a product not presented by the US Mint. Spreads the thrill a bit.

And fortunately, it only occurs every 12 years from the Perth Mint! Go Lunar. Still holding my 2000 Dragons.

Miles
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I was lucky to get some 1 oz silvers today from Gainesville thanks to these boards.
    I don't recall having trouble in years past getting these. Is it just the year?
    Aren't other years mintages capped at 300K?
  • The silver proofs are killer. There's no way I'd pay that price for it though.
    The Dragons hold special significance world-wide, but especially the orient. Always a premium item.

Times have changed in the last decade with China becoming mainstream in the world economy. Congrat's on those who got in today.

<< <i>The Dragons hold special significance world-wide, but especially the orient. Always a premium item.

Times have changed in the last decade with China becoming mainstream in the world economy. Congrat's on those who got in today. >>

Agree. China not the same China of 2000. Original 2000 issues have also gone way up.

I will load up on Dragons of all sizes, all year long. Can't wait for my Kilo to come in next week.

Loves me some shiny!
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the gold 2012 Dragons do very well?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    IMHO the limited mintage gold (1 oz) may do OK, but not at the same % as silver which is already trading now at 2-3 times bullion. 1 oz of gold is just getting too expensive.

Hard to predict mintage levels of all the other denominations at this time.
  • 1 oz silver back up at gainesville $115

• << <i>1 oz silver back up at gainesville $115 >>

Looks like they lowered the max to 750.

I wonder how Gainesville is able to secure so many of these highly sought after bullion coins?
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Got 3 @ Gainesville. Stiff premium...but what are you going to do.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm.....for items like these, it seems that ebay will always be the best/easiest place to sell....but given the changes in the fees/policies, it isn't quite the homerun as before....

Contemplating the Gainesville purchase....@$118+shipping (CC price), buying 4 of them would be just under $500......trying to predict the future....$priceless image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>Hmmm.....for items like these, it seems that ebay will always be the best/easiest place to sell....but given the changes in the fees/policies, it isn't quite the homerun as before....

Contemplating the Gainesville purchase....@$118+shipping (CC price), buying 4 of them would be just under $500......trying to predict the future....$priceless image >>

I did just that yesterday.... 4 ounces for almost 500 Ouch!!!!, but at least their value has not changed today with the big dip in silver. we will know in just 12 short years!!!!!
  • Got one from APMEX yesterday and that's it for me. This is after I said I didn't want to deal with APMEX again after the ATBs..... Cool coin, may appreciate.... may not at these already high prices. 300,000 w/world-wide demand is low though, especially with the holidays coming!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen any PCGS MS69 1st Strike 1/2 Dragons for sale?

Or possibly the 2 oz or 5 oz coins slabbed?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)

• << <i>Has anyone seen any PCGS MS69 1st Strike 1/2 Dragons for sale?

GrandAm image >>

I thought I saw a few slabbed fractionals on eBay, but my head is clouded with Dragons right now.... so I might be imagining it....

• << <i>Has anyone seen any PCGS MS69 1st Strike 1/2 Dragons for sale?

GrandAm image >>

Here is one... Early Release.... from MCM

http://www.moderncoinmart.com/cart1/product.php?productid=24087&cat=0&page=1&et_mid=519499&rid=49863751