Home Precious Metals

Aussie Lunar 2012 Dragons

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody get an order placed? I was bouncing around today trying to find a 10ozer or some singles (or just 1) and couldn't find any for pre-sale anymore. Seems like these are pre-sale hotness for sure.

I saw the Canada ones and they look incredible, but almost 3x spot is just too much.

RCM Dragon

Comments

• Gainesville has all but the 1oz For presale
    Nobody has presold the 1 ozers that I have seen
    They've been available for presale for over a week
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have!

I like the series and the Dragon is King!

From the 2000 Dragon to the current 2012, I plan on having a smattering of many offerings, Gold and Silver.

On ebay, the One Ounce Silver 2000 Dragon goes for over $150, per.

Gainesville is my favorite for these with their low shipping costs and they don't bludgeon you when you use a CC.

I fear the demand from dealers for the one ounce versions is so intense that I am happy grabbing some half ouncers on the pre-sell.

Any word on mintage numbers??

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gainesville has all but the 1oz For presale
    Nobody has presold the 1 ozers that I have seen
    They've been available for presale for over a week >>

So no one has pre-sold the 1 oz yet. I was thinking that I was just shut out??

Loves me some shiny!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (thought) I saw 1oz presales off and on for the past week. Guess my desire for some is long gone if they're done.
  • Its my understanding that only the 1 oz are limited and that is to 300k and the 10 kilo to 500
    the other sizes are minted to demand .5-2-5-10-kilo
    they'll probably make a 1 oz colored also but the coloreds are unlimited and not as nice
    I think that they are preselling the other sizes to lessen the whack when the 1 oz go on sale which will prob be around sept 20th when the dealers get them in.
    Gainesville has better prices than apmex on these.
    I'm holding out until the 1 oz go on sale, just hope silver doesn't go much higher by then.
    good luck buying these and i'll post when I see the 1 oz available to order.
  • From Apmex- "The 1 oz Year of the Dragon coins will not be presold. We will make them available as soon as possible."
    and gainesville has shown out of stock since they listed them- they never even set the price it shows the gold price for the silver
    I have alerts set on both sites and haven't gotten hit
    Both expect to ship the presales by 9-23 so they'll prob get them a few days before.
    I think the 1 ozers will sell out in less than 2 weeks

I was wondering the mintage on the Gold Dragons. I realize the silver are quite high; yet,

the gold lunars are hovered around 30,000 in the past for the very popular one ouncers.

I feel the One Ounce Gold will be a gem. The one ounce silver will likely have the greatest secondary market gain.

Miles
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: Do the Dragons come in a plastic capasule only? Is there a box or COA issued with them?

GrandAm :)
  • 1oz gold dragons max mintage of 30k

Capsule only- box/COA only for proofs
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a set of the one ounce gold lunars in 2006 and I've never regretted it. The dragon is a beast.........Winter is Coming. MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

• << <i>I bought a set of the one ounce gold lunars in 2006 and I've never regretted it. The dragon is a beast.........Winter is Coming. MJ

image >>

Got the same set very nice .
    I also have on pre sale order from kilo to 1/2 oz except 1oz of the 2012 .. Alerts are set and ready to order .. Can't wait !!!
    Oilstates2003
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
    Here ya the Dragon at $2499!

Nice set MJ!! I love that photo. I too cherish my Lunar Set and remeber buying my Dragons at $500 and sweating bullets!

CMI back then talked me down from my anxiety and allowed me to buy a few rather than the customary 10 One Ouncers.

I appreciate the beauty with the Tiger, the integrity of the Rabbit, and the pride in the stallion. But the Dragon...oh la la.

Miles

<< <i>Here ya the Dragon at $2499!

Nice set MJ!! I love that photo. I too cherish my Lunar Set and remeber buying my Dragons at $500 and sweating bullets!

CMI back then talked me down from my anxiety and allowed me to buy a few rather than the customary 10 One Ouncers.

I appreciate the beauty with the Tiger, the integrity of the Rabbit, and the pride in the stallion. But the Dragon...oh la la.

Miles >>

I bought mine from CNI on a lark. Let me know if you find a 2012 Dragon cheaper from a reliable source. TIA: )

Good on you Miles for your purchase back in the day!

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Hmm, I swear I saw the 1oz presale, but maybe I'm confusing the 2+ers. I know I saw a 10, as I had it in my cart the other day.

Oh well. I did get a lil something something else image on order, so we'll see what it is when it shows up.
    Anybody else have trouble with The Gainesville Coins check-out system?

I place an order on my checkcard. It said it was rejected,,,, I tried to order again and now I have a double order charged to my card. This might be good or this might be bad?

I guess it depends on what silver does Tuesday

GrandAm image

Well, it seems I don't have any actual order with Gainesville Coins,,,, just a hold on my check card for a double order image
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was wondering the mintage on the Gold Dragons. I realize the silver are quite high; yet,

the gold lunars are hovered around 30,000 in the past for the very popular one ouncers.

I feel the One Ounce Gold will be a gem. The one ounce silver will likely have the greatest secondary market gain.

Miles >>

I bought one of the year 2000 Dragons from Austrailia Series 1 about 7 years ago. I haven't checked lately for its value, but I recall that gold was ~$400 and it cost $525 due to the premium.
    The year of the dragon coinage definitely has a premium......Asians love the issue and I think the canadian one will do well too.

Tempting to get the silver...not sure though. Gold would likely be past what I would want to pay....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>

<< <i>I was wondering the mintage on the Gold Dragons. I realize the silver are quite high; yet,

Miles >>

I bought one of the year 2000 Dragons from Austrailia Series 1 about 7 years ago. I haven't checked lately for its value, but I recall that gold was ~$400 and it cost $525 due to the premium.
    The year of the dragon coinage definitely has a premium......Asians love the issue and I think the canadian one will do well too.

Tempting to get the silver...not sure though. Gold would likely be past what I would want to pay.... >>

CNI is spot plus$100 on the buy and spot plus$400 on the sell on the year 2000 one ounce dragon. MJ
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still none available yet from any US dealers? My Australian friend was able to get a 20 coin roll direct from the Perth Mint counter on opening day -- they completely sold out same day.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • The first set is not really worth the premium IMO. Only the Ox has a slight buy back premium besides the dragon. The low mintage was really pushed as causing the premium to increase over time which never happened. CNI's buy premium used to be about $40, now its $10. Might as well get a Krand and save the premium for the most bang for the buck.

<< <i>Anybody else have trouble with The Gainesville Coins check-out system?

I place an order on my checkcard. It said it was rejected,,,, I tried to order again and now I have a double order charged to my card. This might be good or this might be bad?

GrandAm image

Well, it seems I don't have any actual order with Gainesville Coins,,,, just a hold on my check card for a double order image >>

I had the same issue with different cards, even called them, and still rejected due to various isssues, all of the issues became their system's fault.

All info MUST be entered exactly with the same shipping as card address. If you have another card, give it a try as their system is VERY fickle.

They tell me this all due to huge fraud issues they have experienced. Good luck!

Miles

<< <i>

<< <i>Anybody else have trouble with The Gainesville Coins check-out system?

GrandAm image

Well, it seems I don't have any actual order with Gainesville Coins,,,, just a hold on my check card for a double order image >>

I had the same issue with different cards, even called them, and still rejected due to various isssues, all of the issues became their system's fault.

All info MUST be entered exactly with the same shipping as card address. If you have another card, give it a try as their system is VERY fickle.

They tell me this all due to huge fraud issues they have experienced. Good luck!

Miles >>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Miles,

That was it, I was using my PO Box when the card has my home address associated with it.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Anybody know if there is a half an ounce gold proof on these dragonsimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny

<< <i>Anybody know if there is a half an ounce gold proof on these dragonsimage >>

Probably, as they have been available in the past; although, they will be pricey as this is One Ounce Proof Dragon.

They are typically offered in sets.

Miles
    For those interested, this is the one coin I purchased a few years back from Talisman, a Libertas Re-Issue from the Monnaie De Paris:

Libertas

I am shocked by the realized ebay price and the low mintage. It is a fun and beautiful coin. Sweet.

And, the mailing I got from the Australian Mint re: the

Proof Dragon.

Miles
    Well Gainesville Coins went dark this morning on all Silver 2012 Dragon Coins.

Gold is still available but can it be far behind?

GrandAm image
  • That happened last week for a day or two also.
    But then they put them back up, check back in a day or two
    $64,538.16.

That is the price of the Kilo Gold Dragon.

PM me and I will send you my mailing address,

64 of you lovely and generous forumites!

The 65th can pitch in the $538.16. The 65th person gets a break.

In my experience, I have found the more friends you have with money, the less money problems you have.

Miles
    Anybody found any small ones for sale yet? I'm only seeing a kilo for sale at my usual suspects, but a few folks on the kitco boards have said they have them in hand.

<< <i>Anybody found any small ones for sale yet? I'm only seeing a kilo for sale at my usual suspects, but a few folks on the kitco boards have said they have them in hand. >>

I saw that Gainesville had the half ouncers in silver for about a day.

I have yet to hear anyone claiming they have a one ouncer in hand in either composition.

I did see that the Perth Mint sold out of their Silver Proofs at over $100 per in a very short period of time. Same with their sets.

The demand is there. It will be interesting to see where the prices go in the secondary market!

Miles
    Perth Mint suspended production of all Dragon non-1 oz sizes until they can fulfill existing orders.

After that, they will resume striking and making available 1/2 oz coins first and then the other sizes later.

All non 1 oz sizes will be struck through 2012. There will be plenty of all non 1 oz sizes, so do not worry.

Now 1 oz (300,000 limit) is a whole different ball game and you will be very lucky if you can score even a roll of 20.

Loves me some shiny!
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Was the 3 coin silver proof set ever available at Apmex? I saw the preview, but, not sure if I missed the buying opportunity.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
    Proof sets are gone. APMEX and others vaporized via Alert Me's.
    Perth listing lasted just over an hour on Sept 6th.

Loves me some shiny!

<< <i>Perth Mint suspended production of all Dragon non-1 oz sizes until they can fulfill existing orders.

After that, they will resume striking and making available 1/2 oz coins first and then the other sizes later.

All non 1 oz sizes will be struck through 2012. There will be plenty of all non 1 oz sizes, so do not worry.

Now 1 oz (300,000 limit) is a whole different ball game and you will be very lucky if you can score even a roll of 20. >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the reason for this? Are they short on raw silver? Looks like it would only take a few days to stamp out the 300,000 pcs of the 1 oz silver dragon? So why is it necessary to suspend production of the other coins?

I got an order in for 1/2 oz, 2 oz, 5 oz & 10 oz Silver Dragons when Gainesville still had them up image

Thought about a 1 Kilo but that is alot of money with silver at $40+ image

GrandAm image

<< <i>

<< <i>Perth Mint suspended production of all Dragon non-1 oz sizes until they can fulfill existing orders.

Now 1 oz (300,000 limit) is a whole different ball game and you will be very lucky if you can score even a roll of 20. >>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the reason for this? Are they short on raw silver? Looks like it would only take a few days to stamp out the 300,000 pcs of the 1 oz silver dragon? So why is it necessary to suspend production of the other coins?

I got an order in for 1/2 oz, 2 oz, 5 oz & 10 oz Silver Dragons when Gainesville still had them up image

Thought about a 1 Kilo but that is alot of money with silver at $40+ image

GrandAm image >>

Not short on silver. They say they have PLENTY of silver. They just do not have production capacity for the amount of Dragon orders. Largest initial sales volume they have ever had.
    They just need time to strike more.

300,000 were already struck earlier before issue was released and are completely sold out. APMEX and others are sitting on them or they are all spken for via long time customers or Alert Me's (think ATB all over again).

Loves me some shiny!
    I too have some 5 and 2 oz. silver Dragons coming from Gainesville along with a half ounce Gold Dragon; but, I would like to have the one ouncers.

I believe the demand was so great for the one ouncers as the prices of those two issues spiked after the 2000 Dragon run.

I received the email from the Peerth Mint and attempted to order via their site yet was not quick enough.

This is the email I received from them:

"Our website was inundated with order attempts!

I am sorry you have been unsuccessful in this instance."

"This instance." I hope a few more one ouncers become available in the silver; yet, the fight will be fierce and brief, I fear......

I just got a shipping confirmation on my 1/20 oz, 1/10 oz & 1/4 oz Gold Dragons. image

GrandAm image

<< <i>I just got a shipping confirmation on my 1/20 oz, 1/10 oz & 1/4 oz Gold Dragons. image

GrandAm image >>

They will make a beautiful set GrandAm!

I would have liked one of those One Ounce Silver Proofs; albeit, it was pricey ($120), but wait for the aftermarket adjustment!

Miles
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    are the 1oz silvers released? I have alerts in at a few places including Ampex but have heard nothing. ???
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV

<< <i>are the 1oz silvers released? I have alerts in at a few places including Ampex but have heard nothing. ??? >>

Same here Kona. Nothing yet on my end.

Miles

Edited to add: I was speaking of the proofs. The UNC have yet to be released, I believe and it is doubtful the dealers will see the one ounce proofs in silver

as they were released one per household.
  • Does anyone know what time (US Time) will the Perth Mint start selling the guilded and colored Proof Dragons? For instance, the US Mint usually starts selling at 12pm Eastern. What time during the day does the Perth start selling upcoming products? My guess is that you would need to be on the site immediately to stand a chance at any of the silver offerings on OCT 4th.
    Good question.

I'll inquire for an answer. Is there time between now and then to get an account established with the Perth for ordering? Not a simple process.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Normal online trading (local Perth time) is 8.30am to 5.00pm Mon. to Fri. Counter business starts at 9:00am. Confirmed by a credible local.

Perth is GMT + 8 hours. May the Force be with you.
    The 1oz Proof is now available at APMEX. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    1 oz proof? Never got an alert on that and it currently shows unavailable. What was their price?
    Any idea how many (quantity) Apmex started with on the 1 Oz Gold Proof and 3 Coin Gold Proof set? There are currently at 106 and 41 respectively.
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any idea how many (quantity) Apmex started with on the 1 Oz Gold Proof and 3 Coin Gold Proof set? They are currently at 106 and 41 respectively. >>

I noticed there were 128 and 44 3-pc sets when I first noticed them last night as well as an even 100/300 on the smaller sized gold proofs. Looked like at one point someone picked up 10 of the gold proofs in one order. Most sales have been for the proof 1oz gold so far.

There are now 98 of the gold 1oz proofs left.
    Thx, I was curious how fast they were selling....I'm on the fence for a 1 oz Gold proof.
    how about the 1/4 oz proof gold? how well is it doing sales wise?