Home Precious Metals
Options

40% Silver Halves

Just a curious question regarding these coins. I have several hundred coins and I am thinking about trading them in for 90% coins. Storage is not a question and I know I will take a little hit in price to convert. So the question is would you or have you done this already?

Comments

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I personally would and have in the past. Mine is a space issue. If I'm using up space in my SDB, it's going to be 90%, not 40%.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    I never cared for 40% unless it was at a steep discount. It harder to sell and store than 90%. I'd convert it to someone who likes bulk.
  • Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love finding it crh...hate storing it. Trade up when you get enough to lower the hit on selling it.

Jim
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Absolutely!
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    40% is something I don't really hold for long amounts of time, not when there are other coins / bullion out there that I'd rather be in.
  • Options
    I would convert for .999 silver or gold.
  • Options
    And then there are always those who would say 'Silver is silver'.
    ------
    Since storage is no problem, perhaps you want to consider keeping them.
    Why pay a premium to convert?
    What if they later come into vogue and you are 'stuck' holding 90% or .999 bars?
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would convert for .999 silver or gold. >>

That's also what I would do. Perhaps 900 fine U.S. coins if a good deal was available. War nickels and 400 fine halves are just plain undesirable to me.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    As an inveterate roll searcher, I come across 40% Kennedy half dollars regularly (as well as a VERY occasional 90% coin).
    To me silver is silver and if space isn't an issue, I would say keep them.
    At the very least, they will always be worth 50 cents image
  • Options
    pennyholicpennyholic Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the good answers. Ampex is paying 11.6 shipped which seems like a good option but I do not have enough to ship for there requirements.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all the good answers. Ampex is paying 11.6 shipped which seems like a good option but I do not have enough to ship for there requirements. >>

What is their minimum requirement?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    40% halves and silver nickels. Never cared much for them. I have always traded for 90% or .999
  • Options
    I just took $500.00 worth of 1965 Kennedy half's down to my bank and traded them for straight cash. I don't mes with the 40% stuff.
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I just took $500.00 worth of 1965 Kennedy half's down to my bank and traded them for straight cash. I don't mes with the 40% stuff. >>

Riiiiiiiiiight.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just took $500.00 worth of 1965 Kennedy half's down to my bank and traded them for straight cash. I don't mes with the 40% stuff. >>

Why don't I believe you?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>40% halves and silver nickels. Never cared much for them. I have always traded for 90% or .999 >>

Next to nobody likes war nickels. The percentage melted is probably *way* higher than the percentage of 90% or 40%.

I would bet that there are more 1950-D nickels surviving than 1944-S.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    After runup to almost 50, all but unc war nickels basically disappeared, and those that are left are seemingly overpriced...though they may not really be since the scarcity seems to have really taken hold (relative to a couple years ago).