Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

WOW Craigslist find....

Comments

• EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    The 71 Aaron and Seaver measure up? Really?
    Solid black with thin borders is what I see.
    One of the Jackson RC looks thin as well. Hope I'm wrong, but....

Did you say there were over 500+ graded cards?
    Can we see some of the best ones, or are the scans posted the best ones?

• << <i>The 71 Aaron and Seaver measure up? Really?
    Solid black with thin borders is what I see.
    One of the Jackson RC looks thin as well. Hope I'm wrong, but....

Did you say there were over 500+ graded cards?
    Can we see some of the best ones, or are the scans posted the best ones? >>

Will get more up later, it was dinner time and I rushed some scans.
  • The first one looks like some kind of Don Mattingly card? Not really sure on the others.
  • Sean, looks like you got a good deal.

Just saw the following post on the local Craigslist:

“i have about 350 baseball cards and im worried on where to put them so instead im selling them. sorry no pics”

That guy must have a really small apartment, if he doesn’t have room for 350 baseball cards.

• << <i>Sean, looks like you got a good deal.

Just saw the following post on the local Craigslist:

“i have about 350 baseball cards and im worried on where to put them so instead im selling them. sorry no pics”

That guy must have a really small apartment, if he doesn’t have room for 350 baseball cards. >>

You get to sort through alot of those.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    The Reggie is perfectly centered.....45-45.
    Sorry,

Mickey71
  • The 71?
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I'm wrong but at first glance, it appears like one of those "collections" for sale designed to suck in a baseball card collector with a little bit of knowledge, and of course the old saying is that a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

I'm not saying there aren't some decent cards there, but I am saying...and maybe I missed the post of what was paid...that the "excitement" over the purchase should be in line with what was the purchase dollar amount...because frankly, there's nothing overly special about that collection from what I can see. These type of "collections" ya see on ebay all the time, some better some worse, but again, review the first paragraph in this post.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    pending the disposition of this collection and Sean's willingness to share all details, i can at least understand why he's excited.....obviously, this stuff doesn't happen all that often as we know, and perhaps a few of us are more jaded because of our "been there, done that" attitudes and experiences with cards.

but, maybe this is as good as it gets for Sean right now.

i understand the need for positive reinforcement, we all need it once in awhile to remind ourselves that what we do may seem insane, but it's really ok. image

Sean, i only contend that your personal agenda with Craigslist and the insistance that we should all jump on that bandwagon is kinda far-fetched.....every now and then you may find a nice score, but the reality is that CL is mostly a world distribution center for the terminally unlucky.

if you really want to sell us on your abilities, include careful thought, research, and planning as your top 3.

good luck.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind getting some of those vintage beat up cards from your last deal

• SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    95%+ Complete sets of 61, 68 (Missing 2 commons), 69, 71, and a complete 74

I wouldn't post it here for the world and the irs to see, but if your cost wasn't too high then there's some pretty good value there. Those near sets will bring good coin even in collector grade.

It IS a lot of work to unload all those cards though so I hope his asking price was a steal. Buying cards for resale on ebay is no different than buying books/clothes/etc. The mentality should always be to get a profit percentage and total that will justify your time.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    There's a 4000% chance that second Reggie is trimmed, and it looks like some of the 71s and 67s look to be as well. If you can't see that then you have no business buying raw cards ever. This means that other big cards in the collection are likely trimmed as well.

That said, an EX 61 Topps set goes for around $2k, you have about a grand in non-trimmed singles that you scanned, and the rest of the sets are worth about $3000 total in EX assuming the big cards are there (Ryan RC, Mantles, etc...). I'd say you have around $7k-$7500 in resale value here minus $1000 in ebay/paypal fees and you can probably get $6000-$6500 out of it. I probably would've paid in the $3500-$4000 range for everything based on the scans.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I ended up losing about $2500 on the deal >>>

If your intention is to try to flip the collection for a profit...don't forget to factor in your "excitement" on this deal with this $2,500 you lost and perhaps other losses as well. Otherwise, you become like the guy at a poker table who is down say 10K, but just won a 1K pot and is excited because he thinks he's now doing well.

• << <i>There's a 4000% chance that second Reggie is trimmed, and it looks like some of the 71s and 67s look to be as well. If you can't see that then you have no business buying raw cards ever. This means that other big cards in the collection are likely trimmed as well. >>

Hatter.

• << <i>There's a 4000% chance that second Reggie is trimmed, and it looks like some of the 71s and 67s look to be as well. If you can't see that then you have no business buying raw cards ever. This means that other big cards in the collection are likely trimmed as well.

That said, an EX 61 Topps set goes for around $2k, you have about a grand in non-trimmed singles that you scanned, and the rest of the sets are worth about $3000 total in EX assuming the big cards are there (Ryan RC, Mantles, etc...). I'd say you have around $7k-$7500 in resale value here minus $1000 in ebay/paypal fees and you can probably get $6000-$6500 out of it. I probably would've paid in the $3500-$4000 range for everything based on the scans. >>

You hit it pretty damn close.

• << <i>

<< <i>There's a 4000% chance that second Reggie is trimmed, and it looks like some of the 71s and 67s look to be as well. If you can't see that then you have no business buying raw cards ever. This means that other big cards in the collection are likely trimmed as well.

That said, an EX 61 Topps set goes for around $2k, you have about a grand in non-trimmed singles that you scanned, and the rest of the sets are worth about $3000 total in EX assuming the big cards are there (Ryan RC, Mantles, etc...). I'd say you have around $7k-$7500 in resale value here minus $1000 in ebay/paypal fees and you can probably get $6000-$6500 out of it. I probably would've paid in the $3500-$4000 range for everything based on the scans. >>

You hit it pretty damn close. >>

Earlier in the thread (page one), you stated that you paid several thousand dollars, without actually disclosing the amount you paid. Going by the definition of "more than two or three, but not many" for several, is that to assume you paid somewhere between $4k-$10+k. (I don't know how to define "many," so I'm using anything over 10 to be many.) Wouldn't it be easier to just say what you paid for the lot? The IRS won't care what you post on a message board (since they'd ask for receipts and assume you paid $0 anyway). Given the combination of your comment about $3500-$4000 being close and your paying several thousand, it seems clear that you overpaid for the lot. That said, wouldn't it be simpler to just say what you paid?
  • Actually I've already cleared $700 more than I paid for the lot out of just selling the 4 sets.

He was close, but above.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    attaboy Sean.
  • The sets went before even making it to your show this weekend? You're becoming quite the wheeler/dealer.
  • Benefit of doubt time. I believe there where some poorly listed cards, and that ugly story of the empty box. Sean came clean on that yesterday, and I know he didn't want to. Sounds like rookie mistakes or rookie ignorance. I've done it.

I did board the train yesterday, as sometimes that can be easy to do from what I read, but got off quickly. I saw Sean's thread on the BST today and it looks like you have bought from 4 or 5 members and the transactions seem to have gone good.

I havent seen any bad transactions from members, So in my book like Itagoner said attaboy Sean!

Everyone messes up, so I say let the recovery process begin.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"

• << <i>The sets went before even making it to your show this weekend? You're becoming quite the wheeler/dealer. >>

Normally I only bring modern to shows since vintage collectors are so particular (I end up selling 5-10 cards at full price instead of 500 cards at 50 cents each like modern)

I don't know how you would want me to prove a sale to you other than taking a picture of the check once I receive it.
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not have time to look through this entire thread. Was there ever a price paid posted by the OP?
    PackManInNC

• << <i>I do not have time to look through this entire thread. Was there ever a price paid posted by the OP? >>

No, but I'm sure it can be concluded to a pretty good area of "what I paid" by my responses to the people who asked.
  • I am all about redemption and willing to hop on board the train. As long as it's confession time, did you actually get hit by a bus?

• << <i>I am all about redemption and willing to hop on board the train. As long as it's confession time, did you actually get hit by a bus? >>

Yes I have a ruptured disk in my back and probably going to get surgery in the next two months.

Edited to add, atm I am working on the epidural steroid injections.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    Im still waiting for my summons and complaint. image
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    always nice when a fellow board member scoops up something he likes at a fair price and then takes the time to share it with the rest of us.

good luck--sounds like you should double-up easy on this. eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • He did buy a lot of modern cards from me and the deal went smoothly
  • See this could be like a redemption card from UD, just takes a little time.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"

• << <i>

<< <i>I am all about redemption and willing to hop on board the train. As long as it's confession time, did you actually get hit by a bus? >>

Yes I have a ruptured disk in my back and probably going to get surgery in the next two months.

Edited to add, atm I am working on the epidural steroid injections. >>

In that case, I wish you all the best towards a speedy recovery.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that anytime Sean starts a thread it always turns ugly.

• << <i>Seems to me that anytime Sean starts a thread it always turns ugly. >>

Boston Red Sox.

• << <i>Im still waiting for my summons and complaint. image >>

Did someone say they were already in the process of suing you? If so, I think they're legally obligated to do so...

I mean, "I've filed a suit against you" as opposed to "I'm going to sue." The first would be legally binding, while the second not so much.

I still don't understand how much was paid for this lot. He said it's pretty clear. I guess that means less than $3500, but more than $3000. After all, he did say several and not a couple or a few thousand.

• << <i>

<< <i>Im still waiting for my summons and complaint. image >>

Did someone say they were already in the process of suing you? If so, I think they're legally obligated to do so...

I mean, "I've filed a suit against you" as opposed to "I'm going to sue." The first would be legally binding, while the second not so much.

I still don't understand how much was paid for this lot. He said it's pretty clear. I guess that means less than $3500, but more than $3000. After all, he did say several and not a couple or a few thousand. >>

As I said, you should be able to figure it out. I know the guys here at CU are pretty smart.

You nailed it, $3k
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Im still waiting for my summons and complaint. image >>

I still don't understand how much was paid for this lot. He said it's pretty clear. I guess that means less than $3500, but more than $3000. After all, he did say several and not a couple or a few thousand. >>

As I said, you should be able to figure it out. I know the guys here at CU are pretty smart.

You nailed it, $3k >>

Why not just say it instead of the run around for most of the thread.
  • No reason in particular.

<< <i>
    Can't say I appreciated any of the manner in which Sean1125 communicated via PM and he has since be blocked as a result. Basically he was rude, snippy and eventually vulgar.

Add that to the bad reputation he has on these boards and the questionable threads he's had and I can't say I'm a fan.

It's nice seeing scans of stuff and finds, but can't say I trust the guy ... especially when I see the people that I 100% trust here, who I've done great business with, saying that he's sketchy.

So given that, I wouldn't believe he actually sold anything without seeing proof ... or anything he posts for that matter.

Healing is good, as is forgiveness, just be careful image >>

Im sure NONE of that is true. Let me know when you receive your summons and complaint for libel. image
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I see nothing libelous about BBG's post...??

Stating an opinion is never cause for an actionable event, is it?

<< <i>I see nothing libelous about BBG's post...??

Stating an opinion is never cause for an actionable event, is it? >>

I was being facetious. Im just having some fun.
  • Since I am being open, here is my final PM to BBG

"You truly are scum, "we" "we" "we" "we" "we" "we" "we" "we" Holy s**t are you schizophrenic? "

I had directly asked you not to do something, and you did. You deserved the comment.

Do not forget to mention I made a purchase from you and left shining feedback as well as 5 stars, I never mentioned the lot wasn't even worth the shipping price and I lost money on it did I?

You did not seem to have a problem with that (And also forgot to mention it, or did you "forget")

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Sideline Stevie saying hello.

Good for you.

• It never fails in these threads.

Someone gets hurt and it ends with someone picking up some of their hair off the floor.

<< <i>It never fails in these threads.

Someone gets hurt and it ends with someone picking up some of their hair off the floor. >>

Is Jerry Springer here? hahahaha
  • Just stopping by...don't have the energy to join the fracas, so I'm on the sidelines with Steve...image

sevendust
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sideline Stevie saying hello. >>

Steve, what's this about salt? What do you have against salt?

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    If you're skimming through the sites (eBay, Craigslist, et cetera) and just happen to come across a good deal, I see nothing wrong with snatching it up.

But what I don't get is purposely searching for people's lack of knowledge for the sole purpose to take advantage of them. Nothing cool with that.

Sort of crummy in my opinion (not an attack on Sean, but in general the practice).

It's like hunting for foreclosed property for monetary gain when the house you're buying represents, for the most part, nothing but shattered dreams.

• << <i>If you're skimming through the sites (eBay, Craigslist, et cetera) and just happen to come across a good deal, I see nothing wrong with snatching it up.

But what I don't get is purposely searching for people's lack of knowledge for the sole purpose to take advantage of them. Nothing cool with that.

Sort of crummy in my opinion (not an attack on Sean, but in general the practice).

It's like hunting for foreclosed property for monetary gain when the house you're buying represents, for the most part, nothing but shattered dreams. >>

With the amount of graded material this guy had (I have 3 boxes direct from PSA with his address on them), he knew what he had.

He explained to me that he had several dealers offer for just the sets (Not the extras rookies/80's junk), but since I made him what in his opinion was a fair offer he accepted it and helped me load the stuff.

Since he called me back on the memorabilia I believe I had a good deal with him since if I didn't I"m sure he wouldn't want to deal with me again.

When I purchase anything I go through the cards, put the higher dollar cards to the side, explain to the person how much I would be selling them for, and that if I do not purchase it these are what they should keep to the side to show other potential buyers, I then make my offer, it is how I have always done it. Believe it or not in Phoenix plenty of dealers come to purchase from me because they know I scout craigslist daily and I am always the first person to call and typically take a look at any potential good sale. I have another coming up (Called off my buying ad), he has a documented $20,000 Right Column Beckett Value in (non junk) cards. He obviously knows what he has so any offer he accepts will be what he believes to be fair.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you're skimming through the sites (eBay, Craigslist, et cetera) and just happen to come across a good deal, I see nothing wrong with snatching it up.

It's like hunting for foreclosed property for monetary gain when the house you're buying represents, for the most part, nothing but shattered dreams. >>

Yes, I'm sure if you ran into a pile of unmarked Gretzky rookie reprints at a garage sale for $1, you wouldn't gobble them up to sell at $20 each, nor would you hit on the garage saler's wife and daughter(s) in the process.

All this thread needs is Gary Dagett to pipe in with his views on integrity.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you're skimming through the sites (eBay, Craigslist, et cetera) and just happen to come across a good deal, I see nothing wrong with snatching it up.

Yes, I'm sure if you ran into a pile of unmarked Gretzky rookie reprints at a garage sale for $1, you wouldn't gobble them up to sell at $20 each, nor would you hit on the garage saler's wife and daughter(s) in the process.

All this thread needs is Gary Dagett to pipe in with his views on integrity. >>

Haters gonna hate.
  • Guys lets stay on topic, you can only argue with me not one another.