Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you collect gold coins numismatically? (Is that a word?)

I'm not talking about gold coins as bullion... but gold coins with numismatic value (way above spot + margin). Larsen has his box of 24 dirty coins, all of which are multiples of spot. Are gold coins a red-headed stepchild?
WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not talking about gold coins as bullion... but gold coins with numismatic value (way above spot + margin). Larsen has his box of 24 dirty coins, all of which are multiples of spot. Are gold coins a red-headed stepchild? >>

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Yep.
  • Yes I do, classic head is my love, C, D, and O 1834-1839 and C and D 1840-1880 with a few tough date P, CC, and S mints in there. Usually on QE or HE, I have a few key date $10's but not my normal field.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nope, just like gold.
    Becky
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Nope, just like gold. >>

Call my ex-wives... I'm sure they could sell you some; some with large center stones! imageimage
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Sort of
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Call my ex-wives... I'm sure they could sell you some; some with large center stones! imageimage >>

imageimage
    Becky
  • TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Yes, and for many years. Early $5 gold(1795 to 1807), proof gold in the Confederacy years, Type 1,2 and 3 Proof 20 Libs, Classic commem gold.

But I do not suggest this type of expense for all. When I started buying the above, gold was around $400/oz.
    TahoeDale
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. There are many beautiful U.S. and world gold coins that are both historical and numismatically significant that can be purchased at near melt value or a small premium over melt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, some world gold coins are really attractive. I have mentioned my Haida gold coin before.. my favorite. Cheers, RickO

<< <i>Yep, some world gold coins are really attractive. I have mentioned my Haida gold coin before.. my favorite. Cheers, RickO >>

What? Have I ever Haida gold coin before? Yes! image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not talking about gold coins as bullion... but gold coins with numismatic value (way above spot + margin). Larsen has his box of 24 dirty coins, all of which are multiples of spot. Are gold coins a red-headed stepchild? >>

I do not consider gold coins to be "red-headed stepchildren". They are actively collected by many people in many ways: type sets, southern gold, $3's, various date sets, proof gold, early gold, etc. If you have any question as to whether people pay over spot for gold coins, just check out the auction results for the early $5's in the next Heritage sale.

And, yes, of course, I purchase rare date gold (or dated gold, depending on your preference for the terminology) now and again.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are gold coins a red-headed stepchild? >>

I've never heard anyone, anywhere remotely suggest this before. So, no.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never!!! They are the golden haired child.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>

I've never heard anyone, anywhere remotely suggest this before. So, no. >>

Relax, I didn't say Colonials! image

I just wondered with so many gold coins being sold at spot + a small margin, if "collecting" them was still common or if most have become absorbed in investment portfolios. Obviously there are some collectors, but with most prices of collector coins in the 4-5 digits, I just wondered how many people still collected or if they had become the red-headed stepchild. Larsen's "basic" set of collector coins (24 @ 90K) made me wonder how many people actually still collect gold vs. invest.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I've never heard anyone, anywhere remotely suggest this before. So, no. >>

Relax, I didn't say Colonials! image

I just wondered with so many gold coins being sold at spot + a small margin, if "collecting" them was still common or if most have become absorbed in investment portfolios. Obviously there are some collectors, but with most prices of collector coins in the 4-5 digits, I just wondered how many people still collected or if they had become the red-headed stepchild. Larsen's "basic" set of collector coins (24 @ 90K) made me wonder how many people actually still collect gold vs. invest. >>

Please show me where I might get some fat head fives, C and D gold, Type I $20's, CC $5's and $10's, etc. for a small premium over melt. image
  • slincslinc Posts: 480 ✭✭
    Yes I think so, I'm currently 1 coin away from a humble 20th century 8 piece gold type set and I've paid over spot of course to get PCGS graded coins. I also plan to upgrade some of the AU ones to MS grades which will make atleast the quarter eagles and maybe half eagles some multiple of spot.
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I don't know if "collect" is the right word for me. Lets just say I "accumulate" numismatic gold.

(but I "stack" bullion like crazy)
    Every man is a self made man.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've spent a lot of money on numismatic gold coins which are FAR MORE as collectors' items than as bullion items. Sometimes I wonder if I should have more invested in plain old bullion coins given the state of the econnomy. Yet I do have quite a few modern commemorative gold coins and a few gold eagles which are really just bullion coins.

I just can't justify tying up a lot of money in bullion, which does not turn me on, when I could have the funds in numismatic items which I like.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    I LOVE putting together Gold "Type Sets" both Darkside & US.

Would rather collect one MS+ example of a Gold coin
    than tie up money in Gold bullion..
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm too poor for gold. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was younger I couldn't believe that there were rare gold coins... I thought all coins made of gold were so rare and valuable that nobody except millionaires could collect sets of them or pay premiums for anything other than classic rarity key dates.

I think even now gold coin collecting remains a much smaller percentage of numismatics than we'd like to believe... most coin collectors do not collect anything gold except maybe a few type pieces because of the high cost of entry to this field.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm slowly collecting a gold type set (in AU).
    $10 Indian in the crosshairs at the moment.
  • 09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Yes, by type. I started in '06 just before the big move in gold.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly cant say Im collecting gold dollars for bullion!image
  • mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    For me i want to add some gold to my collection so i'm thinking it's about time to start a set of modern gold commems. It's a bit over spot but proof gold is alot more fun to look at than a few gold bars.
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes..

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file