Home Precious Metals
Options

Just for fun... have you ever touched 15 kg of gold?

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

(that hand belongs to my offspring..but I touched it too!).

From a touch-and-fell display at the Japan Mint in Osaka.

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO !, But I did see Mr. T once at a gas station in the valley and he probably had that much around his neckimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have offspring in their teens, cost in the iPod, iPhone, iPad, and iWant, and we soon realize 15kg of gold is what it takes to keep up with them. image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 15 one kilo bars on my desk last year when we sold that one big bar collection for our customer.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    my son has touched the Stanley Cup!image
  • Options
    Many years ago I was at the auction viewing at a convention and overheard the two dealers next to me talking. One of them was from New Jersey, and he was telling the other guy that his son came home from school the other day and said that one of the kids in his class had brought his father, who played for the New Jersey Devils, and The Stanley Cup to school for show and tell!!!!

Now, that other kid had bragging rights in that school till graduation!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    Is that a 1000oz bar of silver next to it?
    Mark
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that a 1000oz bar of silver next to it? >>

Maybe a 50 kg bar?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

really cool doorstop.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Maybe a 50 kg bar? >>

It was a little over 33 kg according to the stamp on it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe a 50 kg bar? >>

It was a little over 33 kg according to the stamp on it. >>

Which would be a 1,000 ounce bar with a metric weight stamped in it.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago a dealer I know (who has since passed) had a 1,000 ounce silver bar in his shop He let me pick it up and hold it. Very, very heavy. Also very prettyimage He offered to sell it to me for $20K. I did not have the funds and passed. To bid I did not have the funds to buy it. Could have held onto it until silver almost hit $50 earlier this year and then sold it.

My youngest son took a 4th grade field trip [about California history, including Old Sacramento, the Train Musuem, the State Capital and Sutters Fort] many years ago to Sacramento. I went along as a parent to help the teachers keep the students together. Part of the trip also included going to a very large Wells Fargo building and visited the ground floor Wells Fargo Museum. The museum had a fully restored Wells Fargo stage coach and a Wells Fargo office from the 1850's in Sacramento.

The docent giving the tour took the kids to the Wells Fargo office and took a 40 lb gold bar out of the old safe. He handed the gold bar to my son who got to hold it in front of his classmates. His eyes lit up like a Xmas tree. Based on gold prices at the time (around $400 per ounce), the gold bar he was holding was worth about about $250,000.00. Today the same gold bar is worth about $850,000.00.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I once owned a 1000 oz. silver bar (it was more like a large brick) for a day. Regretably no pics to show though because I flipped that thing like a hot pancake when Spot bounced $1.15 from one trading day to the next LOL.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I have held a 3kg gold bar at the Harlan J. Berk coin shop downtown Chicago. It was QUITE impressive!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope, but I have walked on the Comstock Lode, must be at least a few pounds of gold left there!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>I have held a 3kg gold bar at the Harlan J. Berk coin shop downtown Chicago. It was QUITE impressive! >>

Hey, I'd a taken your check. All you had to do was leave the title to the fire truck............

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I've held a engelhard kilo gold bar and a 1000 oz silver bar..:...both were impressive
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    not in a single bar.
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    I worked in the vaults at Chase Manhattan after HS...I got to touch gold silver and tons of millions in cash...it was the best worst paying job I ever had. I'd go back in a minute if I could image
  • Options
    Twice.

Once at the Perth Mint & once at a NY jeweler.

Neither compared with just seeing the gold at the NY Fed though. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to work with a couple of gold bricks. Does that count?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.