Home Precious Metals
Options

Flea Market Experiment

Was at a local flea market with my son and wife this morning. Just for fun, I took along 4 AGE 1/10ths to see what offers could be expected from these "We Buy Gold" hucksters.

All of the booths had a "We Buy Gold" sign clearly posted.....except for the last booth, which was a jewelry/coin type vendor. The other booths were all jewelry.

Booth #1 : Looked at coins extensively. Weighed them multiple times. Punched numbers on calculator for what seemed like minutes. Finally offered $550. I said I needed $600. He replied that if I had the original government packaging that he could do $600. I reminded him that these were not proofs and simply came in tubes. He insisted they came in felt boxes. I said no thanks and moved on.

Booth #2: Took 1 coin and weighed it, came back and offered me $100/coin. I said no thanks and walked away feeling that any kind of counter offer at that point would be futile.

Booth #3: Guy looks at them and asks what I want out of them. I respond $600. He says he will do $580, so I say deal. Takes the 4 coins over to a scale, then looks at them under a loupe and tells me they arent 24kt. I respond with "yes, I know....they are .9167 pure, or 22kt each". He punches in some numbers and re-offers at $500 saying that he thought they were 24kt. I say no thanks.

Booth #4: Guy grabs the 4 coins, puts them on a scale and says $420 for all. Again, I just walk away.

Booth #5: Guy has about 4-6 feet of counter space dedicated to coins. I ask if he buys 1/10th gold eagles, and he says he pays $85 each. I politely remind him that melt is currently about $150 each. He responds that nobody will pay me more than $85 per coin in this economy. Angered a bit at his nonsense BS I then challange him. I say that I will wager him his entire inventory of goods that I could sell these within 3 minutes at $130 each (as in the initial offer I got from booth #1). He finally asks what I want for them. I dump them out and say I want $150 each and tell him he cant buy these for that cheap anywhere. He then says the clientele at a flea market isnt looking to buy these type of coins and says he can sell them through other channels but needs a little more room. Offers me $560 for the lot. I counter with $580, and he re counters with $570. I almost walk, but say "fine, you get away with one this time." We both smile as he pulls a wad from his pocket, and then we start discussing the bleek outlook on the U.S. economy. Ended up being a fairly decent guy, and I got a few bucks less than what I really had wanted.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago my wife were on Waikiki Beach, and she wanted to buy some souvenirs for the ladies back at her office. We walked up to a nearby vacant lot full of pushcarts. While she was shopping, I noticed a cart full of gold jewelry with a big sign "HALF OFF!"

I stroll over, and point to a 1/10 oz Panda in a 14kt bezel and ask the young East Asian lady working the cart "How much?" She whips out a calculator and spend 30 seconds doing multiple calculations and finally announces "$495!"

I say "At my coin shop back in Chicago, we sell the same thing for $99."

All of the sudden, she cannot speak English.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The offers you got were actually a lot better than what I would have expected.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>The offers you got were actually a lot better than what I would have expected. >>

Agreed. I was a bit surprised at the 1st offer I got that was about 92% of melt value. The $400 offer.....the lowest....was definately "par for the course" however.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    You should sell on the bst, you would have gotten more money, only downside is you don't get the instant cash unless someone paypals you.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Up in my area $150 is a great price for 1/10 gold AGEs. Everyone wants the fractionals. I could find any 1/10 gold near me but there was lots of 1 ozers
  • Options

<< <i>Up in my area $150 is a great price for 1/10 gold AGEs. Everyone wants the fractionals. I could find any 1/10 gold near me but there was lots of 1 ozers >>

$150 is a great price anywhere for 1/10ths. I can sell them all day long at that price to local coin shops. But for $30 less on 4 coins, I got to deal with the "underbelly" of the gold world, have a fun story, and not have to drive to a coin shop and get paid by check. $30 wont make or break any of us on a $570 deal. It was worth the experience!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    great experiment nevertheless and your area is a lot more fair than mine.

Had a coin store offer 120 for a proof 1/10th gold eagle with original government packaging. Now thats ridiculous lol
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $170 for today for a 2010 1/10 ounce AGE at a fleamarket here in poor ol' West Virginia.

Not a great deal but I couldn't find anything else to pull the trigger on.
  • Options

<< <i>I paid $170 for today for a 2010 1/10 ounce AGE at a fleamarket here in poor ol' West Virginia.

Not a great deal but I couldn't find anything else to pull the trigger on. >>

Wish I woulda bumped into you today. You could have saved $20 and I could have made an extra $7.50!
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    For next week's experiment bring along some 90% or 999 silver and try to purchase items at the flea market with it. I tried it about a year ago with limited success using ASEs.
  • Options

<< <i>Was at a local flea market with my son and wife this morning. Just for fun, I took along 4 AGE 1/10ths to see what offers could be expected from these "We Buy Gold" hucksters.

All of the booths had a "We Buy Gold" sign clearly posted.....except for the last booth, which was a jewelry/coin type vendor. The other booths were all jewelry.

Booth #1 : Looked at coins extensively. Weighed them multiple times. Punched numbers on calculator for what seemed like minutes. Finally offered $550. I said I needed $600. He replied that if I had the original government packaging that he could do $600. I reminded him that these were not proofs and simply came in tubes. He insisted they came in felt boxes. I said no thanks and moved on.

Booth #2: Took 1 coin and weighed it, came back and offered me $100/coin. I said no thanks and walked away feeling that any kind of counter offer at that point would be futile.

Booth #3: Guy looks at them and asks what I want out of them. I respond $600. He says he will do $580, so I say deal. Takes the 4 coins over to a scale, then looks at them under a loupe and tells me they arent 24kt. I respond with "yes, I know....they are .9167 pure, or 22kt each". He punches in some numbers and re-offers at $500 saying that he thought they were 24kt. I say no thanks.

Booth #4: Guy grabs the 4 coins, puts them on a scale and says $420 for all. Again, I just walk away.

Booth #5: Guy has about 4-6 feet of counter space dedicated to coins. I ask if he buys 1/10th gold eagles, and he says he pays $85 each. I politely remind him that melt is currently about $150 each. He responds that nobody will pay me more than $85 per coin in this economy. Angered a bit at his nonsense BS I then challange him. I say that I will wager him his entire inventory of goods that I could sell these within 3 minutes at $130 each (as in the initial offer I got from booth #1). He finally asks what I want for them. I dump them out and say I want $150 each and tell him he cant buy these for that cheap anywhere. He then says the clientele at a flea market isnt looking to buy these type of coins and says he can sell them through other channels but needs a little more room. Offers me $560 for the lot. I counter with $580, and he re counters with $570. I almost walk, but say "fine, you get away with one this time." We both smile as he pulls a wad from his pocket, and then we start discussing the bleek outlook on the U.S. economy. Ended up being a fairly decent guy, and I got a few bucks less than what I really had wanted. >>

I am not certain I could have gone to one of those guys, I am not sure that I could walk away without insulting the guy for trying to take advantage of people. I am glad to see that you got close to what you wanted!!!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i like your tactics with #5, you probably knew that it was more of a poker game with him to begin with due to his inventory.

now expect your wife to BUY her something next time!image...this is my theory...lol

• Options
    razzlerazzle Posts: 981 ✭✭
    Good read. Thank you for posting.
    Markets (governments) can remain irrational longer than an investor can remain solvent.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting experiment,. What is the going price for proof 1 oz. AGE's with original packaging??? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Good story.

I think I would have done the same as you did. Chalk it up as not exactly what I wanted but close enough.

Ed