Home Sports Talk
Options

NHL Playoffs start tonight....

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
Will it be just another great regular season and then choke in the playoffs year for the Caps? Are the Canucks for real? Are Price and Thomas and the rest of their teams going brawl again in the Montreal/Boston series? Lots of questions! image I think the Tampa Bay/Pittsburgh series is going to be really good! What say you's guys?

Comments

• Options
    I can't wait! I'll be at my favorite Hockey bar in downtown Tampa tonight cheering on the Bolts, plus keeping my eye on all the other games. The NHL playoffs rarely disappoint.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    There's rarely any fighting in the playoffs unless it's an uneven series and then it will come in the elimination game. So I wouldn't be counting on all those useless knuckledraggers that BOS rosters collecting game misconducts in any non-elimination game. The Eastern Conf matchups are more interesting than the Western, even though the Western Conf is much stronger. The Hawks and Van is the only real interesting match-up there. You need to be a masochist to watch NASH for more than one game at a time, and the world doesn't need another PHX/DET series. The Kings/Sharks would be a good match-up but not without Kopitar and Justin Williams. I'll be interested in watching the BOS/MTL and the Pitt/TB series if for nothing else because I'm curious to how TB will do given their mirage of a record during a season where they allowed nearly as many goals per game (2.8) as they scored (2.9) thanks to that collective of uteri & immobile defense and a core of top two line forwards that are allergic to their own end. I've found players have a difficult time locking up the opposition when they're floating around the blueline consistently looking for an outlet pass (hey there you are Stamkos, I see you). About 3 weeks ago TB started playing a hybrid of the BOS/NASH defensive systems where they realize that their team speed (esp on the blueline) is largely inept, so they just gum up everything in the middle and clog passing and shooting lanes while allowing teams the perimeter. It's almost like a CCHA college system. So we'll see how that goes..but I won't be heartbroken to see TB get whitewashed to a team missing it's two best scorers. I'd like to see Tim Thomas get a ring, but the rest of the Bruins roster apparently thinks it's 1975. Plus the world is a lesser place with Jack Edwards in front of a live mic.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<I'd like to see Tim Thomas get a ring, but the rest of the Bruins roster apparently thinks it's 1975. Plus the world is a lesser place with Jack Edwards in front of a live mic.>>>

I agree with the Jack Edwards comment (way too many words per minute, way too many lame jokes), but I'm confused about the Bruins comment. Please explain.
  • Options
    that's not even the worst of Jack Edwards' flaws. He's actually almost tolerable until he tries to elevate the octave scale. There is no middle ground. It's normal speaking voice straight to distortion...DAH DAH SHOTTT AHH SAVED AHH and of course, in any game Edwards' has commentated on, no Bruin has ever lost a fight. He's by far the worst broadcaster in hockey and that's coming from someone who also despises Rick Jeanneret and Peter Loubardias - aka the English killer.

as for the other comment, it should have been directed towards Bruin management. As I'm sure you know, the Bruins play a defense first system. Despite their system and having the mountain known as Chara playing half of the game, they're still second from the bottom in allowing shots per game. They've rostered a bunch of the same type of players...and I call those types of big, slow, dumb/selfish penalty taking players future members of the St Louis Blues. An organization that hasn't figured out that their scoring woes and defensive breakdowns may just be the result of rolling out a line and a half of Cam Janssens each night.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to watch my Flyers take on a very hot Sabres team...Canucks will be very tough to beat, but that has been said before!
  • Options
    <<<Despite their system and having the mountain known as Chara playing half of the game, they're still second from the bottom in allowing shots per game. They've rostered a bunch of the same type of players...and I call those types of big, slow, dumb/selfish penalty taking players>>>

Bruins management has taken their share of criticism, most well deserved. When their GM was asked by a local radio station the other day what he would consider a successful 2011 playoffs, he said "getting past the 2nd rd". I'm not kidding.

As for the B's style and squad makeup, they don't mind giving up wide angle shots or shots from the point - they feel their goalie will stop the puck, and they can clear the rebound....and while the big/slow tag is fairly accurate, they've got a handful of speed guys this year that past teams didn't have. I'm not sure where the dumb/selfish comes from though. They have the 6th fewest minor penalties this year, about 3.5 minors a game. They are very disciplined IMO. Don't let the total PIM fool you - most of those are from fights - and I will never complain about a team that likes to drop the gloves.
  • Options
    Blackhawks - Vancouver series will be a bore. Hawks don't have it this year.

The rest of the west is lame too as far as intrigue, although Pavel Datsyuk is a joy to watch play.

Montreal-Boston is going to be a treat, but Boston should move on. I hope Tim Thomas gets a ring. I really like that guy.

Flyers without Pronger is less of a team, but still a good team.

Pittsburgh is tough as nails. Saw them go into Boston and just flat out outwork the Bruins in their own building.
    Letang is one of the best, if not the best.

I'll predict Vancouver and Boston in the finals.
  • Options
    Bad giveaways by Boston leading to a couple goals by Gionta...
  • Options
    As for the B's style and squad makeup, they don't mind giving up wide angle shots or shots from the point - they feel their goalie will stop the puck, and they can clear the rebound....and while the big/slow tag is fairly accurate, they've got a handful of speed guys this year that past teams didn't have. I'm not sure where the dumb/selfish comes from though. They have the 6th fewest minor penalties this year, about 3.5 minors a game. They are very disciplined IMO. Don't let the total PIM fool you - most of those are from fights - and I will never complain about a team that likes to drop the gloves.

fair enough. One can look at major penalties as - no worries...others may see them as a complete waste of time (DET, CHI, VAN, NASH etc)...the type of penalties that shorten benches and keep an already immobile blueline gassed and stretched beyond their already limited skill sets. Not to mention putting a ton of unnecessary pressure on the goalie with the shooting gallery a 4 on 4 or 5 on 4 brings. 13.6 PIMs per game usually catches up to a team as it did in '08-'09 when a very similar B's team were ousted by a mediocre Carolina squad.
  • Options
    <<Bad giveaways by Boston leading to a couple goals by Gionta...>>

frustrating game...the Bruins took it to them all game, couldn't get anything past Price....If those two teams play like they did last night for the whole series, Boston will win in 6.

Although, even if Boston gets by Montreal, if all the series go the way of Game 1, I don't think they are beating Pittsburgh in Rd 2.
  • Options
    The Fighting Uteri take game 2 in Pittsburgh. Tie the series 1-1, with game 3 on Monday night in Tampa. I'll be there!
  • Options
    Heard a stat tonight stating that 70% of the recent Game 2 winners go on to win the Best of 7s...bodes well for the Bolts.
  • Options
    Being from California, I'd prefer the Sharks and Kings to knock someone else out. Go Sharks!
  • Options
    Wow...what a round 1. So glad the Bruins beat those pansy-a$$, flopping Canadiens, and now have a chance at revenge against Philly.

Goot - great comeback by your squad, should be a fun series with Washington.
  • Options
    Wow...what a round 1. So glad the Bruins beat those pansy-a$$, flopping Canadiens, and now have a chance at revenge against Philly.

Did you see dat Jaro Spacek dive when dat Lucic guy crushed him from behind into the glass! Did you see dat Halpern guy dive when Ference dropped the Spanish Archer on his head without da puck! Did you see all dose patented Johnny Boychuk hits from behind? Buncha pansies dem Canadien guys. We got Colin Campbell!

edit to add: Exhibit A as to why everyone outside of New England will do the unthinkable and root for Philly in the series

Blackhawks - Vancouver series will be a bore. Hawks don't have it this year.

another quality prediction EF.
  • Options
    lane - watch the Ference "hit" again. He didn't raise his elbow, and barely leaned into him. He stiffened his shoulder, not knowing what Halpern was going to do, and happened to catch him....Of course, Halpern was soooooo woozy that he was back on the ice 7 minutes later (even though the NHL has a rule that says he must sit out 15 minutes of real time). Such a joke.

Subban has all the talent in the world, yet tries to goad the refs into a call by falling in the corner after his plays the puck. Nothing made me happier than watching Kelly score while Hamrlik laid on the ice after another patented dive. That Montreal team is an embarrassment to hockey.

And what Boychuck hits from behind?

It's obvious you dislike the Bruins, which I have no problem with, but at least bring valid points to your argument.
  • Options
    <<<edit to add: Exhibit A as to why everyone outside of New England will do the unthinkable and root for Philly in the series>>>

Who the F cares about our crazy play by play guy? He's a tool. I get it. Most of Boston gets it.

I have a ton of respect for Philly. They have a bunch of skilled players, and they are also tough as nails. Frankly, if I was a hockey fan outside of New England, I'd probably root for them too. They are a much more exciting team to watch.
  • Options
    "He didn't know what he was going to do"? Halpern didn't even have the puck. He was going to do nothing but skate back to his own end. Let's not pretend Ference isn't a floating stool sample. This is his M.O. This is the guy who takes runs at small guys like Patrick Kane and then skates away when someone like Brent Seabrook shows up. I like to call those types of players - Bieksas or Jackmans or any member of the Lightning blueline. If I was playing against a team like the Bruins with all their late hits, or the hits they're getting away with on players who aren't even carrying the puck, I'd be Sedining too. I'm not even saying MON was diving, they embellish, just like every other NHL team. And yes, Boychuk fought it out with Kronwall for the season league leader in hits from behind. That doesn't mean dirty hits, just hits from behind. Take that for what you will. Btw, I don't hate the Bruins...I have manlove for Tim Thomas and respect for Recchi, Bergeron, and Krecji...but that's pretty much it from that roster. I'm not a bloodluster so I generally find them an incredibly boring team to watch esp. without Savard. This Philly series should be interesting though. If anyone is going to match BOS in leaving checks to land hits it's Philly.
  • Options
    lane, it sounds like you watch a ton of hockey...but you are wrong about Ference. He doesn't run from anybody. In fact, I need both hands to count the number of times he jumped in to fight a goon that was bigger than him that just took a run at Krejci or Bergeron this season.

Look, there's embellishment (like Chara folding when taking a legitimate cross-check to the back from Eller), and then there is diving when you are barely hit (Subban, Price, Hamrlik all did it twice in that series, drawing 3 penalties). I didn't see the dive that Letang got called for in Game 7, but I bet it was no worse than 10 of the dives Montreal took in that series. Montreal flops more than anyone in the league, and it's not even debatable.

There's a difference between late hits and finishing your check. I know you don't see it much in the Western Conference, but finishing checks is part of the game, the Bruins and Flyers happen to do it better than most.
  • Options
    well we can agree to agree that you're wrong about Ference. Us Western Conference honks saw enough of his act in CalGary to know he is a human compost pile. As for hits/'finishing checks', you might want to check out a Minny game because Cal Clusterfck has led the league in hits for 3 straight years (by large margins) with Dustin Brown also in the top 3 over that span and they both play in the Western Conference. Clusterfck is a guy that would be perfect in BOS since every hit he lands is roughly 5 seconds after the puck has left the hittee. Let's also not pretend just because the Western Conference is superior in speed and skill that there aren't loads of bruisers as well. In fact there is no Bruin in the top 30 in hits, and just two Flyers who incidentally don't make an appearance until you get down into the 20's. As for team hits CLB (Western Conference) led the league, and the big bad Bruins were 21st with 1736 team hits. About a 150 fewer than the Capitals, and roughly 60 behind the allegedly soft Red Wings. Incidentally Philly was #10 behind 5 other Western Conference teams. The toughest division (Western Conference - Central) 5/6 teams were all in the top 15 with all 6 teams in the top 20. The bottom six teams in team hits are all....wait for it, Eastern Conference teams - NJ, MTL, TB, OTT, ATL, BUF. As for the diving, I only saw four of the Bruins/MTL games and I didn't see anything more than embellishing, maybe it just so happened the diving occurred in the three games I didn't get to see, but I'd imagine if it did, and it was blatant, they would have discussed it more on TSN and NHLnet and other various hockey websites. I'm used to seeing divers like the Sedins and Franzen, and I saw nothing to the Sedin/Franzen level of diving from MTL. I just saw embellishment, like when Chara embellishes that he didn't know who Pacioretty was when he tried to put his head through the turnbuckle (which also occurred when a Canadien hittee didn't have the puck) or when the next Matt Cooke - Marchand embellishes that he's not a total plonker.
  • Options
    Those hit numbers are interesting, I wasn't aware how far down the list some of the tougher NHL teams are. Not sure what to attribute that to. Perhaps the speed in the Western Conference allows forwards to get closer to the puck to make those hits. Anyway, I'm not saying WC play is an inferior brand of hockey (in fact I prefer it), but a WC game doesn't feel nearly as physical as an EC game.

As for Ference, I can't speak to his days in Calgary, and I'll grant you, he's far from what I would consider your typical "tough guy". All I know is that he has repeatedly been the first guy to defend a teammate all season long, while probably being the 6th or 7th best fighter the Bruins have. You may not like him, but I'm sure his teammates appreciate that kind of support. I know I like seeing it.

I'm done talking about those filthy Canadiens, and their diving, all they do is get me fired up. I'll leave you with some classic examples of Montreal "dishonesty" throughout the years. This team is such a disgrace.

Subban Game 7 Subban looks to see where the ref is, and then falls.

Markov throws glove I hate Matt Cooke, but I hate Markov more for throwing his glove 10-feet in the air after falling to the ground.

I've fallen and I can't up You'd think he was shot rather than lightly pushed to the ice.

• Options
    in that case I'd imagine you're associating "physical" or "toughness" with fighting and general on-ice goonery/stupidity. Toughness is Curt Fraser dawning a flak jacket in order to suit up in the playoffs with broken ribs back in the 80's. Or Adam Foote blocking shots with a broken foot, or Brandon Dubinsky playing down the stretch with a broken fibula (or beating down a much larger Ovechkin four separate times), or Ryan Callahan doing the same with a broken hand, or Brooks Orpik perpetually around the league leaders in hits and blocked shots, or Brent Seabrook twice sitting out only one game with concussions, or Ian Laperriere blocking shots with his face while playing with a concussion, or Jordan Tootoo playing the day after receiving 60 stitches and plastic surgery on his face without a cage. That's toughness. Not a bunch of slow clumsy goons flying around the ice leaving checks in order to land late hits or using their faces as punching bags in order to trump up John Scott's 21-0 NHL fight card on hockeyfights.com. Without looking anything up, it does on the surface seem that the EC has more useless one dimensional knuckledraggers like the Colton Orr, Boogaard, Shelley, Gillies, Godard, McQuaid, Shawn Thornton types...but that doesn't mean the WC doesn't have STL, EDM, CBJ, ANA, and to a certain extent COLand DAL as well. Those are all teams that would fit better in the EC and aside from ANA's top line, there is a pretty good example of the futility (and a lack of playoff appearances) a given team would have rostering a bunch of useless goons in the WC as all the skill teams will just use those guys as the human pylons that they are on the way to the back of the net...though Pitt has enough skill (when healthy) and defense to suppress their stupidity, and most of their totals below stem from their debacles with the Islanders.

Total PIMs
    1. NYI - 1515
    2. Pitt - 1388
    3. EDM - 1270
    4. STL - 1225
    5. ANA -1178
    6. OTT - 1179
    7. PHI - 1119
    8. BOS - 1115
    9. CBJ - 1113
    10. MTL - 1079

Game Misconducts
    1. NYI - 11
    2. Pitt - 10
    3. BOS - 7
    4. PHI, COL, STL, OTT, EDM MIN, - 4

Major Penalties
    1. STL - 79
    2. Pitt - 74
    3. BOS - 73
    4. NYI - 71
    5. ANA - 68
    6. NYR - 62
    7. CBJ - 59
    8. EDM - 58
    9. DAL - 54
    10. TOR - 53

Of course didn't your assistant GM, Colin Campbell, call your best offensive player (Savard) a "little faker". Skill players tend to embellish. Crosby, Pat Kane, the Sedins, M.St. Louis, and generally any skill player in the NHL have all been guilty as some point. It's part of the game, unfortunate, but not quite as unfortunate as teams who offer the Trevor Gillies of the league, a paycheck for 1:33 of ice time per night. Quite frankly I find it odd that the diving/embellishing bothers you more than Matt Cooke, Steve Ott, Kaleta, Downie, Carcillo, Bertuzzi, Marchand, Mike Richards et al elbowing players in the head from behind. To me that's way more uterian than embellishing to gain a PP.
  • Options
    Elbows to the head and diving are equally reprehensible in my mind, both are completely uncalled for, and don't have any place in hockey. Marchand had a couple hits this year that disgusted me. But I shouldn't be surprised, my friend told me a story that Marchand was asked who he tried to pattern his game after, and he said Ken Linseman (the Rat) and Claude Lemieux. Too bad he resorts to that crap, he is probably one of the more skilled players the Bruins have. He's got the talent too be a perennial 30-goal scorer, I wish he'd focus on that part of the game more.
  • Options
    Tim Thomas steals one for Boston tonight...he was immense.
  • Options
  • Options
    <<<Game Highlight >>>

And for a second, I thought the highlight would be one of Thomas' 52 saves, or Krejci's nice one-timer in OT, or even one of JVR's breathtaking rushes up ice last night. I probably should have known better.
  • Options
    Is Goot OK? Lightning up 2-0 heading home, and no recent posts in this thread? Maybe he doesn't want to jinx things.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>Is Goot OK? Lightning up 2-0 heading home, and no recent posts in this thread? Maybe he doesn't want to jinx things. >>

Pretty much... but I will say that I'll be at the game tonight!
  • Options
    And for a second, I thought the highlight would be one of Thomas' 52 saves, or Krejci's nice one-timer in OT, or even one of JVR's breathtaking rushes up ice last night. I probably should have known better.

of course, that was quintessential Bruins hockey...a useless guy like McQuaid leaving a check to try and land an elbow (late) on a small guy that didn't even have the puck. That's more textbook Bruins hockey than Tim Thomas being solid in the cage. I expect both examples to occur on a nightly basis in any given Bruins game.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    This sounds like a jilted hockey fan!
  • Options
    lane - what play are you watching? Richards is either trying a self-pass off the back of cage, or a jam shot off Thomas - either way the puck is still sitting right there!! You can bust McQuaid's balls about being slow and missing the check, but it is laughable to suggest he was trying to land an elbow. He extended his forearm like ANYBODY would when checking someone. He happened to flail when he didn't make contact, making the "intent" look different than it was.
  • Options
    You can bust McQuaid's balls about being slow and missing the check, but it is laughable to suggest he was trying to land an elbow.

well that's another instance we can agree to agree you're wrong about...but even if it was an extended forearm, that's still illegal....as per

any body-check that results in reckless or intentional high contact with an elbow, forearm, or stick should be penalized with a Minor or Major penalty (Major plus Game Misconduct if injury results).

so it probably doesn't occur as often as you seem to think it's what "everybody" does. What we do know for sure is that he certainly wasn't leading with a shoulder which is the only legal hit in that instance. You continue to toss out "laughable" quite a bit. I would say laughable is stating gems like "Elbows to the head and diving are equally reprehensible". Like reasoning someone's season/career ending prematurely or one's physical/mental wellness is the same as embellishing to help your team draw a one PP.
  • Options
    Bottom line is that you just don't like the B's.
  • Options
    I find any hockey play that isn't a natural hockey play (i.e. elbows to the head, diving, using a stick intentionally as a weapon) equally reprehensible.

I like how in one breath you seem so concerned about player safety, yet claim toughness is "Brent Seabrook twice sitting out only one game with concussions, or Ian Laperriere blocking shots with his face while playing with a concussion". Sorry, but those don't represent toughness, it more resembles stupidity. For someone that seems to care so much about a player's long term health, I thought you would have picked up on the irony in that statement.

What's even more ironic is implying the Bruins are a bunch of cheap shot artists, when they are the team over the past 5 years that has had two of their best playmakers sidelined for over a year due to illegal hits???

Look lane, I have no doubt you watch more of the NHL than I do. I've acknowledged every valid point you've made about the Bruins. As hard as it will be for me to do, I'm done responding to your misrepresentations of the Bruins and hockey in general.
  • Options
    fwiw that's not irony. It's cool though. I suppose the obvious factor here is that those decisions were made by those respective players playing through injury (hence the toughness). Not taken out by some Marchand, Cooke, Kaleta type dope landing a headshot due to their general uterian nature.

What's even more ironic is implying the Bruins are a bunch of cheap shot artists, when they are the team over the past 5 years that has had two of their best playmakers sidelined for over a year due to illegal hits???

also not ironic...it's coincidental....and I never said they were "cheap shot artists". I said the B's roster a handful of useless players in the name of some faux-toughness that doesn't actually exist. I know Savard was taken out by Cooke, but I'm spacing out on the second "playmaker" in your argument. I can't think of one other playmaker from the Bruins in the last 5 years other than Kaberle who turned out not to be since he apparently can't play in the Bruin system. If you mean Bergeron or Krejci they aren't really playmakers. They're two-way danglers. There's also something for you to ponder. If the Bruins didn't have the types of players who play on the edge, chippy, goonish, or illegally, there's a much better chance that someone like Savard doesn't get taken out by an illegal hit. I'm not sure what (if anything) led up to the Cooke/Savard hit, but I do know Boychuk and Ference both have a history of taking runs at star skill players.
  • Options
    You just have something against the Bruins and describe every hit like it is a cheapshot. Krej and Bergeron are playmakers, they might not be All-Stars, but they are playmakers. They are two very good two way center man, that make plays. They just might not have the best wingers around them to put the puck in the net.
  • Options
    So, who will the Tampa-Boston series?? Jack Edwards, rejoice!
  • Options
    easy there Steelers....still one more to win for Boston. I'm not taking anything for granted after what happened last year.

up 3-0 vs. Philly....not bad for a bunch of goons, hey lane? image
  • Options

<< <i>easy there Steelers....still one more to win for Boston. I'm not taking anything for granted after what happened last year.

up 3-0 vs. Philly....not bad for a bunch of goons, hey lane? image >>

Trying to put the 'reverse jinx' on the series. It's not going to happen this year, the Flyers are toast. Besides the Flyers scuffling along (disinterested at times), with horrendous goaltending, Thomas is Superman right now, etc...they've got to be the favorites from here on out. Very frustrating season as a Flyers fan after their great start to the year.
  • Options
    Congrats Tampa! Good luck in the Eastern Finals!
  • Options
    Got to love these play-offs.

Tampa is through ... Ovechkin, Crosby and Stamkos have been n0n-factors.

Detroit and Vancouver - Boston and Tampa .... wow
  • Options

<< <i>Got to love these play-offs.

Detroit and Vancouver - Boston and Tampa .... wow >>

Detroit??
  • Options
    San Jose has been playing well.
  • Options

>>

Ovechkin is the only person on the Caps that can actually say he played a decent series in my opinion.
    Crosby hasn't played in 4 months.
    Stamkos scored the go ahead goal in game 1, then the game tying goal last night in the 3rd period, and has 4 goals in his first ever playoffs. Not setting the world on fire, but not a non factor.

Potential Roloson-Thomas match up... The old man Battle Royal!
  • Options
    goot - It's been a great story so far, but I question whether Roloson can keep it up. I assume him coming back down to earth is your biggest fear, right? What is your gut feeling about him?

I look at him and see a journeyman goaltender that got hot during the 2006 playoffs and led the Oilers the Cup final, largely because the top 4 seeds all lost in the first round that year. Other than that, it seems like he hasn't done much. Granted, he's been on some bad teams, but I guess that is my point - he's bounced around to 6 different teams, yet a bona fide contender never picked him up until Tampa this year (Edmonton was the #8 seed in 2006), and that was because they were so desparate to find an upgrade over Smith.

All that said, sometimes it's advantageous to have the hot goalie rather than the better goalie (although I'd argue if the Bruins get there, that Thomas is also the hotter goalie too).
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

Ovechkin is the only person on the Caps that can actually say he played a decent series in my opinion.
    Crosby hasn't played in 4 months.
    Stamkos scored the go ahead goal in game 1, then the game tying goal last night in the 3rd period, and has 4 goals in his first ever playoffs. Not setting the world on fire, but not a non factor.

Potential Roloson-Thomas match up... The old man Battle Royal! >>

Stamkos has been good, not great. He definately has not been a non factor.
  • Options

<< <i>goot - It's been a great story so far, but I question whether Roloson can keep it up. I assume him coming back down to earth is your biggest fear, right? What is your gut feeling about him?

I look at him and see a journeyman goaltender that got hot during the 2006 playoffs and led the Oilers the Cup final, largely because the top 4 seeds all lost in the first round that year. Other than that, it seems like he hasn't done much. Granted, he's been on some bad teams, but I guess that is my point - he's bounced around to 6 different teams, yet a bona fide contender never picked him up until Tampa this year (Edmonton was the #8 seed in 2006), and that was because they were so desparate to find an upgrade over Smith.

All that said, sometimes it's advantageous to have the hot goalie rather than the better goalie (although I'd argue if the Bruins get there, that Thomas is also the hotter goalie too). >>

I honestly have no idea what to expect for Roli because this entire team has surprised me this post season so I can't even predict anything. I'd rather just enjoy the ride than set any expectations at this point...it's part of the beauty of making that improbable run. I will say that I think it's pretty obvious the Bruins have the better goaltender and I think that would be a big deciding factor as to why they would win the series. I do know that Roloson knows it is the end of his career, barring a return next year for one final season, and I feel like this guy is really playing like every game could be his last and is pulling out all the stops (literally). I'm not really sure as to why the guy has never been with any contending teams, and I never really followed him before this year because I just don't get to see the Oilers and Wild play too often and I'm pretty sure most people have avoided watching the Islanders at all costs the past couple years.. Just looking at his stats the only ones that suck are his W-L, everything else is definitely good. I mean he has a 2.65 GAA, and a .910 career save pct, yet has a W-L of 214-241-79.

• Options
    up 3-0 vs. Philly....not bad for a bunch of goons, hey lane?

I know right, and much like the Penguins, it's not like Philly is missing it's two best players - a top 10 NHL scorer, and the best defensive defenseman in the league either...<wink>. So that's really not that surprising (though I had BOS 4-2) that BOS is up 3-0. What astounded me (while looking up some stats) is that BOS posted a collective top 5 offense with that roster + Savard being out + BOS turning Horton from a skill player into a...grinder/fighter/punching bag + Kaberle's sucktitude....then I realized...oh yeah they don't have to play against Flint Thomas, and since every other EC goalie (save for Lundquist, Price, and Vokoun) is mediocre or completely sucks (coupled with 7 of the NHL's worst defensive teams) it almost makes some sense. But that's pretty marbles of you to acknowledge a 3-0 lead given the results of last year's match-up and all. That said, personally I'm intrigued by a BOS/TB series. A couple of middling defenses + the best goalie in the league + an AARP rep aping 2007 J.S. Giguere performing way over his playoff head in net.

Tampa Bay Lightning Offense: +17.0 GVT (7th in NHL)
    Tampa Bay Lightning Defense: +5.8 GVT (12th in NHL)
    Tampa Bay Lightning Goaltending: -16.3 GVT (26th in NHL)
    Tampa Bay Lightning Power Play: +0.4 GVT (10th in NHL)
    Tampa Bay Lightning Penalty Kill: -0.7 GVT (16th in NHL)

Boston Bruins Offense: +20.0 GVT (5th ??????????????????? in the NHL)
    Boston Bruins Defense: -2.7 GVT (17th in the NHL)
    Boston Bruins Goaltending: +36.3 GVT (1st in the NHL)
    Boston Bruins Power Play: -3.7 GVT (20th in the NHL)
    Boston Bruins Penalty Kill: +6.5 GVT (9th in the NHL)

GVT = The value of a player, in goals, above what a replacement level player would contribute. GVT aggregates offensive, defensive, goaltending and shootout contributions in a single metric. The sum of player GVT on a team equals that team’s goal differential plus the replacement level, which is 50% of the average team scoring level. Or the hockey equivalent of baseball's WAR.
  • Options
    Got to love these play-offs.

Detroit and Vancouver - Boston and Tampa .... wow

Big hockey fan eh.
  • Options
    I honestly have no idea what to expect for Roli because this entire team has surprised me this post season so I can't even predict anything. I'd rather just enjoy the ride than set any expectations at this point...it's part of the beauty of making that improbable run. I will say that I think it's pretty obvious the Bruins have the better goaltender and I think that would be a big deciding factor as to why they would win the series. I do know that Roloson knows it is the end of his career, barring a return next year for one final season, and I feel like this guy is really playing like every game could be his last and is pulling out all the stops (literally). I'm not really sure as to why the guy has never been with any contending teams, and I never really followed him before this year because I just don't get to see the Oilers and Wild play too often and I'm pretty sure most people have avoided watching the Islanders at all costs the past couple years.. Just looking at his stats the only ones that suck are his W-L, everything else is definitely good. I mean he has a 2.65 GAA, and a .910 career save pct, yet has a W-L of 214-241-79.

A .910 SV% is well below league average (.916%) and 2.65 is above (2.58) for GAA. I tend to look at even strength percentages as the true indicator where Rolo is also barely average or just under league average. So that's what he is - a league average goalie or at times slightly above or below depending on the quality of the team around him. His numbers weren't that different with TB than he was with NYI.

TB - 2.56/.912
    NYI - 2.64/.916

which basically means he faced more shots with TB...but gave up higher scoring chances with NYI....and fwiw TB was tied for dead last in even strength goals against with NJ...though of course that wasn't all on Rolo as Smith and Ellis were also terrible. As for Rolo's run with EDM, he played very well in the '06 playoffs, but he wasn't as over his head then as he is playing now. EDM had a serious shutdown defense that year with Pronger, M.Green, Spacek (in his prime), and J.Smith on the blueline and half a roster of shutdown forwards like (two -time) Selke winner - Peca, Stoll, Reasoner, Moreau + Pisani, Dvorak, Torres grinding it out with them. That was a tough team defense to penetrate.