Home Precious Metals

News from Baleyville...

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2020 1:43PM in Precious Metals
So, I got out and mowed the yard today. Got the John Deere back from servicing and it works good. Thinking about tilling up some of the garden plot and planting peas before it gets too late. Moved a box turtle out of the driveway so that the idiot won't get ran over. Avoided TV all day.image

Got new batteries for the RX7 and the backup yard tractor, and promptly screwed it up by forgeting to disengage the PTO before backing up. Took my brush cutter in for service and found out that it was toast. Bought another, upgraded. Gotta wipe out all the new trash trees that sprang up last year in my field of native grasses that is working as a quail habitat. Did a "controlled burn" a few weeks ago and made a huge "carbon footprint" that warmed my heart to be helping nature renew itself the old-fashioned way.

Gotta dump some bleach in the aboveground pool so that it doesn't go ripe before I can ready it for the season. Did a tour of the fruit trees and planted a new nectarine tree. Thinking about another row, of peaches, plums & nectarines. One peach tree might not make it.image

But, it's Spring and everything is budding out! The blueberries didn't get eaten by the deer this March, and most of them look ready to rock n'roll this spring. One dog is getting chemo, and I hope we don't lose him. The grandkid is 1 yr. old and he is enthralled with the outdoors. He is astonished with the owls hooting, the coyotes wailing, and the birds chirping all around him when we travel around the yard.

Tomorrow is another day. I wonder if they fixed the economy yet. I guess I'll find that out when I pay $3.89/gallon so that I can go see some of my customers.
Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Pistol will be 1 year old tomorrow. He's turning into quite a home security asset!

imageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Most excellent report!

I spent today.....my 36th B-day....playing in the Horseshoe's $210 Sunday tournament. Although technically I finished in 2nd as far as chip count....out of 70 entries, the final 4 players agreed to chop the prize pool and each walk away with a cool $2600. It was a good day! image
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gave my unicorn a bath.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In reverence of MJ and a mighty fine Balleyville report from Jmski, I regress:

Had a tasty lunch of clam linguini with the GF. Got to hold a baby beagle. Looked at many condos now for rent. MANY.

Into the future: I hope your dog recovers, or at the least, loves you as much as you do for him/her.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pistol is ADORABLE....................I played frisbee with Alabama today on a freakish 84 degree day in Michigan. MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jmski52, sounds like you have a very nice spread you have. So far, your dollars still spend and no advancing zombies on the horizon? good good

to Gsa1fan, cute pup and cool name. we had dogs in the 'ville where I grew up.. None currently. I do have a pistol named Doberman, though (it's a beretta)
    Gecko109, congrats on the tourney, used to play quite a bit of poker before the little kids came along, final tabled many, won a few, terrific heartbeat adrenaline rush, huh?
    derryb, glad your unicorn is, as we say to the kids after a bath, "ushey".
    Miles, what's the story with looking at condos, going to buy or rent?
    MJ, you fascinating globetrotting SOB, where's those dos equis you're gonna buy me?

News in my 'ville is we're stimulating the local economy with a house re-plumb, eliminating under-the-slab piping (which was nice and quiet and lasted 23 years, along with the original water heater, a neighborhood record; we bought the corner house in the development from the first owner, a construction foreman for the project), also bringing a large gas line from the meter across the house, to feed the new range and future bbq and firepit out back.

"while we're at it" and the house is out of commish, the family is at the local Residence Inn while we're choosing new electrical fixtures, shower valves (they have presure compensating ones that don't scald ya when someone flushes a toilet?! Will wonders never cease), paint colors (there are 30 holes in our drywall to patch) electrical fixtures, etc.. we're "might as welling" ourselves into quite a little project here.

US dollars still work, no resident evil in sight. no Unicorns or Glitter either, Not the End of Life as We know It. Metals investments up in value, others mixed

Buying fabricated copper, steel, also concrete and various quarried products, selling a bit of gold, silver, BIIB, ILMN

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far this Spring this comrade has planted four 8' Colorado Blue Spruce trees....$100 each (normally 5 Benjamins.) Planted another apricot tree to go with my other one and 5 plum trees that line our driveway. Radishes, carrots and potatoes, grapes (eating and wine kind), raspberries, blackberries are all showing life. My creek is running and irrigating. The air is classic Colorado cool and crisp. This morning my son helped the old man carry a bunch of bricks and bags of soil. When I'm out there doing some "extreme gardening" I could care less what D&G awaits.
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    We spent the mid morning looking for a lost dog from our springer rescue group. Dog does not want to be found, been gone for three weeks now. Plenty of sightings and even some track but no stinkin' dog. Had a nice red beans and rice lunch with some iced tea after a two hour treck in the tick infested woods looking for the lost springer and reremembered that air conditioning is a good thing. Contemplating getting a 5 acre tract so that I can massage my dirt digging hormones and maybe grow a larger crop of veggies. The subdivision is no place for a substantial garden, more like just bait for the Lowes to stay in bidness. Metals nicely up...I bet the scardey pants are fit to be tied. Good luck out there in Baleyville!
    Who came up with this Baleyville thing? image

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    $3.89 a gallon for gas is cheap, I'm paying $4.50 a gallon image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJ, Alabama is gorgeous. We lost our Bullmastiff (Liberty) to cancer in December. It was a devastating blow to our family. We are planning on getting another Bullmastiff, but were still not ready. image

R.I.P Libby.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$3.89 a gallon for gas is cheap, I'm paying $4.50 a gallon image >>

You guys have it easy....

Here in Toronto Canada, we're paying $1.33 a litre, which equates to $5.05 for a US galllon.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Well, I am going fishing this weekend (opening day). But, starting Monday, I may get to sit on a US District Court Jury. Dang, I should have checked the box that I wasn't fluent in English.

I need to figure out how to be able to enjoy all the benefits of living in the US but not have to do my duty to enjoy all those benefits.

<< <i> I need to figure out how to be able to enjoy all the benefits of living in the US but not have to do my duty to enjoy all those benefits. >>

burn your draft card and get on the government dole. Also, don't foget your free cell phone. image

DT

So sorry about Libby. I understand what your lose is. No greater breed. Totally all about family.

FYI- I will take credit for Baleyvilleimageimage

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    Downtown, no better cure than a new puppy.image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
    "Downtown, no better cure than a new puppy."
    The only thing better than a new puppy is...hummmmmmmmmmm, give me a minute, I have to think about it.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Downtown, my condolences.

I got back from Chicago and had to pack right back up and head to Tulsa. Lots of expensive gasoline this week. I didn't get much time with my favorite people and dogs. The grass is growing fast, so what do I do? Fertilized it so that it will grow faster.image

My Chessie and Black Lab/Newfie mix are such great greeters. Lot's of drooling and tummy rubs. The grandkid is banging into everything as he rounds the living room, kitchen, hallway circuit in his walker.

No zombies yet, except for the home invasion/murder down the road about a mile away.

I knew it would happen.
    Thanks a lot jmski---zombies! No way I sleep now............

Hammertime- WHAT a pup!!!! OMG................The holder of the pup looks like she is in heaven, great pic

MJ
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words fellas. Its tough with the nice weather here. She was always outside with me "helping" me do yard work.
    Great pic hammerman! Pets are great therapy in these troublesome times, thats for sure.
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Great looking dogs everyone. Sorry for the loss downtown1974. We just had to regulate our 12 year old Cheasapeake to the first floor as he has been falling down the steps due to his back legs failing him.

jmski52 - sounds like a nice place you have - I hope to have something like that some day. And good luck with your best friend
    Well, we're done with our plumbing project, the reconstruction making good progress.

Around here, we grow citrus and avocados. Lots of new growth on all the trees, bumper orange crop last year. (triple the previous year, which was 10x the year before that... at this rate, if it continues, we'll be able to supply the world market in a few years image ) Just kidding, they're fairly young trees. Things can't keep growing or going up at the same % rate from a low or slow start.. or else China's economy would grow bigger than the earth someday, and silver would go to infinity!)

We also grow roses, lots of roses.

oh, and children, too

She looks to be a strong contendor one day for the Miss Baleyville Rose and Avocado crown. A real cutie. Well done. MJ
    Yep, that's a genuine cutie all right!
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Spring in the Hamptons. No longer own my house and am renting another, so all the gardening and maintenance work I used to do is now severely reduced. Wife has a small herb garden planted in the new place, she is a chef and always needs fresh herbs. While waiting for APMEX to deliver my silver, PCGS to slab my submission and the bank to call with the box of half dollars I ordered; I have been riding my new motorcycle. It is a Brammo™. All electric, no gears, no shifting, no more gasoline. Has a range of 45 miles (perfect for me) and charges with 110V house socket. Takes four hours to charge completely and costs $0.30 for every 45 miles. It has cojones...top speed of 62 mph. Very green, visionary. The only thing I miss is the VROOMVROOM. It sounds like a golf cart.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    image I don't get it???
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

<< <i>image I don't get it??? >>

Pieces, Baleyville is a magical, mythical place. A place where an ostritch would feel oh so at home.....a place where everyone's head is buried in the sand. A place that doesnt notice, nor care about trillion dollar defecits, and ever rising multi-trillion dollar debts. Its a place where the folks are in supreme denial that 1 in every 7 Americans is now on welfare. Baleyville doesnt care that the only way for the U.S. to make good on programs like SS and medicaid/medicare is by printing money out of thin air. They dont care.....in Baleyville....that foreign banks and governments have stopped lending us money for our extravegant lifestyles, and that now we simply borrow money from ourselves instead.....effectively turning the U.S. into a banana republic.

You see, Pieces......none of this matters to the residents of Baleyville. As long as American Idol, and Dancing with the stars comes on when scheduled, then all is well. As long as there are sporting events, and mindless entertainment on TV, Baleyville is just fine. As long as the SS checks continue to come to those who are retired, and there is food and gas and coffee to buy......no matter how much more it costs each year.....the residents of Baleyville walk around in a happy....almost zombielike state.

Baleyville will be just fine.....for a few more years. And then Baleyville will just be a rememberance of a time back when. And then we will all shake our heads and wonder what happened, and what went wrong. And someone will not so politely remind them that more people vote in American Idol elections than presidential ones.
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Nicely written, Gecko...
    edited June 15, 2018 8:45PM
    ... as opposed to Geckoland, where the weight of all the world's problems are on everyone's shoulders all the time

Baley, the truth lies somewhere in between....for both of us im sure. However, whats REALLY sad is the mass apathy this nation's people do have for the current crisis we are digging ourselves into. Its a sad day indeed when more people on the street can name the season 4 winner of IDOL, yet couldnt tell you....within a trillion either way.....how much we are in debt. Its also sad that there are now 1 in 7 Americans who eat off the taxpayer's dime. Its very sad that more 12 year olds could pick out a picture of Justin Beiber than a picture of Joe Biden......and I further wager that less than 1/3rd of all 12 yr olds in this country even RECOGNIZE that name!!!! He's only the 2nd in command of this country Baley.....yet kids today care much more about PS3 and the Jonas brothers.

Thats whats really sad Baley......not that I take an active interest in what really matters, but rather that im so far outnumbered in that category than I even care to think about!
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920

<< <i>Baley, the truth lies somewhere in between....for both of us im sure. However, whats REALLY sad is the mass apathy this nation's people do have for the current crisis we are digging ourselves into. Its a sad day indeed when more people on the street can name the season 4 winner of IDOL, yet couldnt tell you....within a trillion either way.....how much we are in debt. Its also sad that there are now 1 in 7 Americans who eat off the taxpayer's dime. Its very sad that more 12 year olds could pick out a picture of Justin Beiber than a picture of Joe Biden......and I further wager that less than 1/3rd of all 12 yr olds in this country even RECOGNIZE that name!!!! He's only the 2nd in command of this country Baley.....yet kids today care much more about PS3 and the Jonas brothers.

Thats whats really sad Baley......not that I take an active interest in what really matters, but rather that im so far outnumbered in that category than I even care to think about! >>

Oh, you were serious. My bad. I thought you were talking tongue in cheek...

• RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>...folks are in supreme denial that 1 in every 7 Americans is now on welfare... >>

The real number is close to double that. 1 in 7 is on Food Stamps but 1 in 3 lives off the " entitlement system".

The housing boom in my hometown is government subsidized projects for low or no income families. There are now 6 large housing projects and a need for more. 60% of the school children are on free or reduced price lunches. This was a solid middle class town when I was growing up in the 1970's. The town has been hard hit by job losses over the last 3 decades and is typical of what what once the heart of America.

It is sad to see...........

<< <i>

<< <i>...folks are in supreme denial that 1 in every 7 Americans is now on welfare... >>

The real number is close to double that. 1 in 7 is on Food Stamps but 1 in 3 lives off the " entitlement system".

The housing boom in my hometown is government subsidized projects for low or no income families. There are now 6 large housing projects and a need for more. 60% of the school children are on free or reduced price lunches. This was a solid middle class town when I was growing up in the 1970's. The town has been hard hit by job losses over the last 3 decades and is typical of what what once the heart of America.

It is sad to see........... >>

Be careful about taking notice to the above mentioned problems! Baley may end up calling you "really sad".
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    too funny. Thanks for the explanation(s).
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
    tydye, I feel for your Chessie. They are such great dogs and such lovers! Our Newfie/Lab has responded well to the chemo, and we may get to keep him a while longer. I just filled up his baby pool with water and he "wollered" right in.

What a cutie, Baley! That's what it's all about!image

Gecko, I see you've taken up residence in Baleyville with your new getaway place at the lake. Don't forget the bug spray and the sunblock this summer.image

Got my blueberries fed, and it looks like a very nice crop so far. Got the garden tilled and it needs another once-over before putting in the beans, corn and tomatoes. This year, I'm going to get smart and put in some cedar posts with wire fencing for support. Last year, the tomato plants got so heavy that they snapped every tomato stake I had because of their weight!

Here is the workhorse for my warm season grass/quail project:

Here is what big bluestem looks like when it's about 10 ft. tall:

Here's what part of my field looked like after a "controlled burn" a few years ago:

I knew it would happen.
    great stuff jmski52! MJ
    The weather today in Baleyville is 78 degrees and sunny. All is well.

MJ
    Yep, there's a peaceful but active place where people are more interested in taking care of them and theirs, growing a little food, raising children and pets, lovin the wife, it's an exercise in mastery of our little part of the sphere. Call it Lake Wobegon or Walden Pond in Doonesbury, it's our part of the world and it's going to be what we want it to be...that's why we devote our time and resources to carve out a spot where we are productive, we and our families are happy, and we can provide for our own sustenance and welfare.

We don't give a crap about Huffington Post and daily talking points or historically underserved urban populations or 3 hour ER waits for illegal immigrants, or even TG's speeches about supporting a strong dollar while he does everything he can to make it weaker to marginalize our national debt and to make our products cheaper to other nations eventhough we might wonder from time to time if he ever paid his tax balance but we don't spend a lot of time grousing about paying our own personal income taxes. And, no, we don't think that the gov should be sending us messages on our cell phones or even that the fed should grope our wives when they want to fly on an airplane. As long as the gov uses the words "to keep you safe" or "for the children" or any of the other catch phrases then they seem to get a free pass from the public but not in Baileyville.

Sure, Gecko, we watch a little tv with the wife and our children/grandchildren from time to time; I like Survivor and Storage Wars. I used to like the evening news a couple of years ago but it's evolved into such predigested politically correct BS pablum that I usually water my garden or piddle around in the yard instead. I am much more interested in whether my tomatoes have enough water or whether my dog's diarreah has firmed up or if I'm going to take the kids swimming after work than I am about Diane Sawyer's White House supplied copy for public consumption...as long as the advertisers are there, we are going to have these drones with us; I'm much more interested in when my puck is going to get here this morning. I read voraciously so, it's not like you say...that in Baileyville, we are ignorant or unaware of what's going on or even that we don't care it's just that a nice tomato or new puppy or a straight A reportcard from our third grader is much more important than anything BH O or FLOT US might have to say. But don't think we don't vote, we vote like a clock and we typically dontate to candidates of our choice and volunteer and contribute to the church and even pay our mortgages on time. And yeah, I watch FOX and read Drudge but I watch BBC and I even read the newspaper every morning with my cup of coffee before I go to work.

Nope, I don't get social security, I work a 40 hour butt kicking butt kicking week and usually have an extra little bit of design work somewhere on the side but I have this morning off so I can meet the UPS guy to get my puck so I thought to offer this little rebuttal/diatribe just for you. I do plan to get social security but since I had my first job at 9 and never stopped working from that time and I've been working for over fifty years even having as many as three part time jobs at one time while carring a 15 hour load in undergraduate school that was partially paid for by the GI Bill...solid, including a masters degree, an honorable discharge (ssgt 1968-1974), and yeah, I do like to anticipate some public benefits in my retirement. I do use my superhuman powers to create a little piece of the world that works the way I want it to and nobody gave any of it to me so my expectations only seem reasonable, at least to me.

So you want to belittle me for anticipating an entitlement...hey, I don't care because I'm going to do just fine with it or with out it but in terms of entitlement...don't you think I might be entitled, have I paid enough to keep the communist VC dominoes from falling on Los Angeles, have I worked long enough or contributed enough to the fund to have any entitlement? Have I been responsible enough educating myself, providing for my family and my business to have earned a modicum of respite or even respect for my efforts? It's OK, your answer really doesn't matter because I can take care of myself and my family just fine, here in Baileyville.

So come to Baileyville, pull up a chair and share a little with us. It's nice here in Baileyville. Don't stand at the city limit sign and throw rocks at the residents, it's not necessary. There's a place for everyone here...welcome. Hey, what kind of dog do you have there?

Got CASH?

Edited for a grievous spelling error.
    Today's weather in Baleyville

High 79 and sunny. No chance of rain.........another good day for a picinic. MJ
    It's nice in Baileyville today. We got a new foster Springer that had been in a kennel for the last 6 months and he's so glad to be out of there and he's really a good dog. We got the previous foster adopted out to her "forever home". Light breezes, mild temps, clear sky, nice neighborhood and a big event today. I designed three-4 ton red granite monuments to our County war dead, got them contracted out, engraved with the names of the soldiers in gold lettering and they were installed last week and will be presented today for Memorial Day with speaches, flags, music and political leadership present. The wife and I are going to attend the event and bask in the wonder of it all.

Nice pancake breakfast this morning and a moment to pause for those that died in wars fought for our country. War is a not a clean and proud business when you're in it. Take a moment...

<< <i>It's nice in Baileyville today. We got a new foster Springer that had been in a kennel for the last 6 months and he's so glad to be out of there and he's really a good dog. We got the previous foster adopted out to her "forever home". Light breezes, mild temps, clear sky, nice neighborhood and a big event today. I designed three-4 ton red granite monuments to our County war dead, got them contracted out, engraved with the names of the soldiers in gold lettering and they were installed last week and will be presented today for Memorial Day with speaches, flags, music and political leadership present. The wife and I are going to attend the event and bask in the wonder of it all.

Nice pancake breakfast this morning and a moment to pause for those that died in wars fought for our country. War is a not a clean and proud business when you're in it. Take a moment... >>

Bring us a picture of the monuments, thank you for your service to our heroes.

Very very nice mhamm, looking forward to pics.

Our block closed the road and barbecued out front yesterday, flags fluttered, neighbors meeting and greeting, kids playing football and riding bikes in the street.

Later, after kids were asleep, dozen chairs around fire thing in driveway, had fun discussing (among other things), several topical favorite subjects of this forum
    [no one became mean-spirited, whether despite or because-of all the microbrews, it was hard to tell image]

Happy Memorial Day everyone!

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Goodness, where is this?

Walmartville

OK, Baileyville...

Pre dedication activities, in the den (new foster in crate)

The stone cutter, wife and myself in the middle at the Memorial Day extravaganze with three new monuments 6'x5' 6"x1'

View of the memorial

My stone cutter and self. He jokes that he used to be 6' tall but he kept lifting these things up and this is what happened.
    Nice job on the monuments, mhammerman! Great Lookin' Springers as well!image

Your mason friend looks alot like Jim Sinclair.image

Edited, after reading a bit more carefully, to say: YOU look like Jim Sinclair!

I knew it would happen.
    Wow! All I can sayimage

imagemhammerman
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice!
    Hammertime, thank you for sharing your day with us.........just awesome. MJ
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... as opposed to Geckoland, where the weight of all the world's problems are on everyone's shoulders 24/7, where a deep concern for all the large issues of civilization consume everyone during every minute of every day, where no one smiles or laughs or has any joy in life whatsoever, all anyone does throughout their miserable lives is fret and mope about deficits and inflation and other money issues, until they finally die in an excruciating agony of despair and regret.

(ps: I don't really think any of that, but since we're throwing around absurd hyperbole, why not? image it is really sad, geck, if what you wrote is what you really think this thread is about) >>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a person is trying to deceide wether it is better to pretend to exist in Balleyville or prepare for GeckoLand I think one would be better to prepare for GeckoLand and HOPE for Balleyville. If Balleyville comes to be than great, you are still prepared planning for the worst. BUT if GeckoLand comes to be and you were living in Balleyville then you are just completely screwed. image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
    Gecko just bought his little own slice of Baleyville. I saw no bunkers in his pictures and don't think I wasn't looking for them. There maybe hope yet...........MJ