Home Sports Talk
Options

Philadelphia Phillies 2011 championship season thread

stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
We haven't had a World Series championship in a few years, and I think we're due. image

Comments

• Options
    Regular season - I'm thinking 100 wins.
  • Options

<< <i>Regular season - I'm thinking 100 wins. >>

Post season I don't think will be as many wins - I'm only predicting 11 wins in the post season.
  • Options
    Nice opening day win.

I didn't Google it, but it seems like the Phillies never win their opening day game. Not any more.

This could be the beginning of a glorious season. image
  • Options
    Nice to see Ryan Howard off to a good start. I think he's got a chip on his shoulder from last year...and I'm predicting a great season for him. image
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I predict that Phillies fans will all predict 100+ wins.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Did you hear about Warren Brusster?

Good for you.
  • Options
    Bats working, pitching working, 2 - 0...life is good.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did Ryan Howard turn into Dave Kingman yet?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    3 feet away from a 2 HR game...

3 - 0 is good...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    All alone on top of the NL East in first place.

I may be mistaken but only just around a few days ago, wasn't it was a five way tie for first?
  • Options
    4 - 1 and that's quite good.

Ryan Howard, as predicted, playing like he's on a mission...playing like he wants another MVP award...playing like a Hall of Famer.

Phillies bats are lively and that spells big trouble for the rest of the NL East because obviously the starting pitching is not a concern.

I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy this season, and savor it because it has all the makings of another championship, and I don't see that changing even though it's very early yet.
  • Options
    This is just too much fun.........

Now only if the Eagles could be this good...hey, I can dream can't I? LOL
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget your Mint, it sucks too.

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't forget your Mint, it sucks too. >>

Steve - I'm luvin' this Phillies run so much, you could insult William Penn and it wouldn't even bother me. LOL
  • Options

<< <i>Did Ryan Howard turn into Dave Kingman yet? >>

He might be turning into Babe Ruth this season.

I am starting to hear comparisons of the 2011 Phillies with the 1927 Yankees...by the end of this season, the 1927 Yankees may have to settle for being the second best MLB team of all time.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am starting to hear comparisons of the 2011 Phillies with the 1927 Yankees...by the end of this season, the 1927 Yankees may have to settle for being the second best MLB team of all time. >>

27 Yankees are already in 2nd place all time. 76 Reds are top dog. Or is it 75 Reds 1st? Ok then 27 Yankees are 3rd best all time. Phillies do appear to be very good but lets wait until end of season for accolades.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>I am starting to hear comparisons of the 2011 Phillies with the 1927 Yankees...by the end of this season, the 1927 Yankees may have to settle for being the second best MLB team of all time. >>

Phillies do appear to be very good but lets wait until end of season for accolades. >>

You're right of course.....but I figure ya gotta get the bandwagon started sometime. image
  • Options
    Seems to be a pattern developing of the Phils bouncing right back after a loss...that doesn't bode well for the rest of the NL East.

Great to see the Phillies taking care of business. image
  • Options
    Awesome:

1. P Polanco
    PHI 3B 8 34 6 12 4 0 0 8 16 3 2 0 0 .405 .471 .353
    2. B Francisco
    PHI OF 8 33 7 11 2 0 2 7 19 2 10 1 0 .389 .576 .333
    3. J Rollins
    PHI SS 8 33 5 11 2 0 0 0 13 4 5 3 0 .405 .394 .333
    4. R Howard
    PHI 1B 8 32 7 13 4 0 2 10 23 3 7 0 0 .432 .719 .406
    5. S Victorino
    PHI OF 8 32 6 12 2 1 0 7 16 1 5 2 1 .394 .500 .375
    6. R Ibanez
    PHI OF 8 31 9 8 2 0 1 6 13 4 7 1 0 .361 .419 .258
    7. W Valdez
    PHI 2B 8 27 5 9 3 0 0 5 12 1 5 1 0 .357 .444 .333
    8. C Ruiz
    PHI C 8 23 6 7 2 0 1 7 12 2 2 0 0 .385 .522 .304
  • Options
    "Murderer's Row" may have to take a bow to the 2011 Phillies batters!
  • Options
    Even Dale Murphy sucked when he was a Phillie.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options

<< <i>Even Dale Murphy sucked when he was a Phillie. >>

Now that's some good smack...belittling an excellent long time Braves player because late in his career he happened to play for the Phillies. image
  • Options
    It's obvious the rest of the NL East isn't even competitive with the Phillies...and that suits me just fine. image
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phillies will be tough to beat, no question about it..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Hey Stevek,

When you come down to Arlington for the World Series, I'll treat you to a good Mexican food dinner, and when I come up to Philly, then all the cheesesteaks I can eat are on you, deal?

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Stevek,

When you come down to Arlington for the World Series, I'll treat you to a good Mexican food dinner, and when I come up to Philly, then all the cheesesteaks I can eat are on you, deal?

Mike >>

Could happen Mike - The Rangers are playing some excellent baseball right now.

Good luck the rest of the way and a Phillies/Rangers WS would be fine by me...although frankly, I'd like another shot at beating the Yankees in the WS. image
  • Options
    Phillies usually start the season slow...going well...and it will keep going well and will get better - no doubt about it.

When do the playoffs start?
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SOLD! THANKS! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Phillies fans: I'm almost sold out of a case of these boxes. If you want a lot of three boxes, they are really cheap (opening bid, $9.99 + shipping for all three boxes!).

Here's my link: 1981 Topps Giant Photo Cards - Phillies - Lot of 3 Boxes

If you want them, I'll pull the auction for you! LMK

I took the time to post this here just for phillies fans, as I'll soon be done with these 30 year old boxes!

Good luck!

rd

• Options
    Phillies cool off the red hot Mets.

I don't think you're gonna see too many batters looking forward to a series with the Phils this season, and watch their stats go down.
  • Options
    Ryan Howard nicely putting together a possible MVP season.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    All Phillie fans are mean and they don't use deodorant.
  • Options

<< <i>All Phillie fans are mean and they don't use deodorant. >>

We are not mean...I'll have you know that recently a law was passed in Philly that thrown battery head shots are no longer permitted...that all thrown batteries must now be to the opposing player's body only...with the exception of Dallas Cowboy players. image
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Steve!!! image
  • Options
    I thought I heard some chirpin' in the Atlanta Braves thread?
  • Options
    ah yes...that's more like it.
  • Options
    Kudos to the P's pitching staff....excellent performance tonight!!! image Let's see how we can do in the rubber game again Steve Carlton Jr. image I always get a bit sick to my stomach before we face Hammels! image
  • Options

<< <i>Kudos to the P's pitching staff....excellent performance tonight!!! image Let's see how we can do in the rubber game again Steve Carlton Jr. image I always get a bit sick to my stomach before we face Hammels! image >>

Well, it's of course still early, but the Phillies are already pulling away a bit in the NL East and look way too tough to catch this season.

Braves don't ever seem to quit though, and they have an excellent chance at the wild card.

• Options
    I think the Wildcard will certainly come out of the NL East again this year. I have to believe the Marlins will fade at some point, as usual and that the Phillies will surge at some point. Wildcard likely between the Braves and one the Central teams- possibly the Reds/Cardinals division loser.

Braves pitching has been lights out this year-nothing to complain about except our rookie closer has been a little shaky. Still waiting on the bats to wake up. Uggla's still hitting around the Medozo line and Heyward has not yet hit his stride. If we get into the same mid season form like last year, I think they can make the divisional race interesting with Phili.

• Options
    Bats wokeup nicely - I think it's high time to bid the rest of the NL East goodbye.
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I think I'll sneak into a Phillies thread just to see what it looks like.

MMM sand paper, emery boards, Vaseline, bottle of spit, etc. etc.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

<< <i>I think I'll sneak into a Phillies thread just to see what it looks like.

MMM sand paper, emery boards, Vaseline, bottle of spit, etc. etc.

Ron

image >>

Whatever that means, it's certainly better than the Ted Turner idol worship and Jane Fonda admiration constantly going on in the Atlanta Braves thread.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GO PHILS!!!

• Options
    Phils starting to edge away in the NL East.

I'm not saying it's over yet in the NL East race, but I'm beginning to think about it. image
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019

<< <i>Phils starting to edge away in the NL East.

I'm not saying it's over yet in the NL East race, but I'm beginning to think about it. image >>

Not to mention any other teams but a certain team I know of is just giving the Phils a false sense of security for a while.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Phils starting to edge away in the NL East.

I'm not saying it's over yet in the NL East race, but I'm beginning to think about it. image >>

Not to mention any other teams but a certain team I know of is just giving the Phils a false sense of security for a while.

Ron

image >>

You're right, and it could happen again this season...as the wise old man of the forum, he recently celebrated his 125th birthday, Grote15 often advises...I'm not counting any chickens yet. image
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You're right, and it could happen again this season...as the wise old man of the forum, he recently celebrated his 125th birthday, Grote15 often advises...I'm not counting any chickens yet. image >>

I thought I'd poke around a bit and found you celebrating the wisdom of Grote15. He is a young 125 by the way. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You're right, and it could happen again this season...as the wise old man of the forum, he recently celebrated his 125th birthday, Grote15 often advises...I'm not counting any chickens yet. image >>

I thought I'd poke around a bit and found you celebrating the wisdom of Grote15. He is a young 125 by the way. image >>

To try to stay young and have some Mets fan excitement in his life, he reads the backs of his 1970 baseball cards. image
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Just checking in...

43 Baby...

and Utley is scorching...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    The Atlanta Braves thread sure got quiet.

• Options
    Shhhh.....our bats are sleeping! imageimage