Home Sports Talk

Official 2011 Atlanta Braves Thread

Comments

• melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Haven't posted here in a while. There's been no joy in Mudville of late but I think I just saw a little finger movement on the Braves. There may be life in them afterall. Here it is August 8th and they are 8½ games out of 1st place. I don't know. But going back to my reference to Casey at the Bat, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast."

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    The Braves won again tonight in 11 innings 4 to 3, two games in a row. Uggla continued his hitting streak and is now at 30 games. Now if only Philly would do the decent thing and lose for a change.

Ron

Edited to add: A pox upon the Phillies they done won again.
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Praise God, Halleluiah! image

6.44 ERA....pathetic!!!!

Anyone who reads this thread can refer back to my feelings about him! Good riddance!!! image
  • The Braves were down tonight 4 to 3 when I got out of the car to go into work. I checked and they actually came back and won 5 to 4.
    After losing 2 out of 3 to the Cubs they beat the Giants.

Ron
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭
    The Braves have Brian Wilson's number this year. Great 9th inning comeback.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • The Braves won another late inning game in the 10th tonight beating the Giants 2 to 1. A Braves win and a Phillies loss puts them 7½ games back with 39 games left to play.

Ron
    Season sweep of the defending WS champs?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

I was listening to the radio broadcast and Don Sutton said that someone on Twitter was offically changing the name of the last night's Braves starting pitcher to:

Randall Del....God oh Mighty! image
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    The dude was throwing a no hitter, and after giving up his first hit, got immediately yanked. I don't think he had even passed 75 pitches yet. Why the short leash?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    I think it was more of a confidence builder. This was only his 2nd big league start and after such a great outing the manager didn't want to risk him getting the loss. I guess it makes sense, but I would like to have seen how he responded. Especially after Cody hit the ball so hard that it may have not landed yet!!! image
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Braves won another late inning game in the 10th tonight beating the Giants 2 to 1. A Braves win and a Phillies loss puts them 7½ games back with 39 games left to play.

Ron >>

Whadaya think this is 1964 or something? image

There is no conceivable, possible way the Braves will catch this Phillies team. It is a geometrical, mathematical, algebraical, trigonometrical, physical universe impossibility. Can't happen, won't happen. Case closed, and sealed in granite. BTW - I've read where the Baseball Encyclopedia has already set the type for the NL East 2011 standings as the Phillies on top, with the Braves finishing second...they've only left open a spot for the number of games the Braves were behind.
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    If the Phils keep leaving their starters in for the 9th there will be more than enough time.
    Stevek-

I think we've already conceded the NL East race. Like I said before, we'll see you in the NLCS. After we sweep the NL West winner in the first round, I may even fly up to Phili for a game. I'll be the really good looking guy with the "Philli Sucks" or "Kruk is a homo" tshirt on.

<< <i>Stevek-

I think we've already conceded the NL East race. Like I said before, we'll see you in the NLCS. After we sweep the NL West winner in the first round, I may even fly up to Phili for a game. I'll be the really good looking guy with the "Philli Sucks" or "Kruk is a homo" tshirt on. >>

image...Please God, someone take some pics of that...before and after the beatdown!!! image

<< <i>Stevek-

I think we've already conceded the NL East race. Like I said before, we'll see you in the NLCS. After we sweep the NL West winner in the first round, I may even fly up to Phili for a game. I'll be the really good looking guy with the "Philli Sucks" or "Kruk is a homo" tshirt on. >>

It would be a great series the Phillies and Braves. If that occurs, perhaps it might be best to advise the women and children not to view any Phillies or Braves threads here during that time. image
    The Braves better just hope that whatever injury plague the Giants are infected with right now isn't contagious. I know that Keppinger jammed his wrist against Freeman the other day. It might not be a bad idea to have Freeman stand in the corner, away from the other Braves players for a few days, just in case. image

<< <i>The Braves better just hope that whatever injury plague the Giants are infected with right now isn't contagious. I know that Keppinger jammed his wrist against Freeman the other day. It might not be a bad idea to have Freeman stand in the corner, away from the other Braves players for a few days, just in case. image >>

I agree.

• Well the Braves lost tonight along with a Phils win puts them back at 8½ games back again. Jurgens gave the farm away while Fredi sat on his duff. I just don't understand sometimes. The Braves picked up Wes Helms again today after he was released by the Marlins. I guess I'll be taking Geritol and tonic to the Braves locker room now. By the way, Helms is from the city I work in and his father used to to work for the company I work for.

Ron
    OK, whatever. The Braves better squash the Snakes this weekend.

• The Braves beat the Giants tonight 1 to 0 on a homerun by Chipper Jones. Lincecum was the losing pitcher with Minor picking up the win and Kimbrel getting the save. The problem, the Phils won too.

Ron
    Wes Helms? Why waste a roster spot on that guy. I guess this is more Chipper insurance for the playoffs. Last year our only option at 3B in the playoffs was Brooks Conrad and you remember how that turned out. Helms signing will ensure that doesn't happen again. I think he can play 1B and 3B, but not great with the stick. I hope he never sees playing time.

Great outing for Minor.

Thanks for slapping the Snakes around. Hopefully SF will figure out a way to come back to Atlanta in October.

• The Braves are only 6½ game back of the Phils now. Dare to dream.

Ron
    You guys in here must be smoking banana peels and munching on hallucinogenic mushrooms if you think the Braves are gonna catch the Phillies.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Braves are only 6½ game back of the Phils now. Dare to dream.

Ron >>

does it really even matter (not that I think it'll happen)...both teams are a mortal lock considering the rest of the NL.

they wont face eachother til the nl finals and it'll be a GREAT series!
  • Well here it is Tuesday night. The Braves and the Phils both won tonight. The Braves remain 6½ back of the Phils in the NL East.
    It can happen. The Braves have won 6 in a row and are 8 and 2 in their last 10 games. Will the Phils never go away?

Ron

<< <i>Well here it is Tuesday night. The Braves and the Phils both won tonight. The Braves remain 6½ back of the Phils in the NL East.
    It can happen. The Braves have won 6 in a row and are 8 and 2 in their last 10 games. Will the Phils never go away?

Ron >>

Is the earth going away?...is the sun going away?...are the stars and the universe going away?....No, the Phillies are not going away.

• << <i>

<< <i>Well here it is Tuesday night. The Braves and the Phils both won tonight. The Braves remain 6½ back of the Phils in the NL East.

Ron >>

Is the earth going away?...is the sun going away?...are the stars and the universe going away?....No, the Phillies are not going away. >>

Stevek, the Phils have already lost today, the problem is the Braves are losing too. The games not over but with Lowe pitching and Linebrink warming up it don't look good.

Ron
  • I stand before you in sack cloth and ashes. What more can I say.
    The only thing missing is the moaning and the gnashing of teeth.

Ron
    Signing Ty Cobb wouldn't help the Braves top the Phillies this season.

Signing Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth...maybe. image

• << <i>Signing Ty Cobb wouldn't help the Braves top the Phillies this season.

Signing Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth...maybe. image >>

Next time I sneak into the Phil's locker room I'm going to leave Kawakame there. Maybe the Phils will think he's theirs and accidently pitch him.

Ron
  • Well here it is Thursday and the Braves beat the Cubbies 8 to 3 in an afternoon game. The Phils were off today so the Braves are now 6 back in the NL East. The Braves go to play the Mets and I'm not sure where the Phils are going. I'd like to say 2nd place but only time will tell.

Ron
  • Well, Wednesday August 31. The Braves reacquired Matt Diaz from the Pirates for a player to be named later. As I was driving to work the ESPN radio station said the Braves had also traded cash and a player to be named later for another Pirates player. I had never heard of this guy. Either his last name was Lewis or his first name was Jack? I am not sure about that as I was getting out of the car when they announced the trade.

By the way, the Braves won tonight and so did the Phils. Craig Kimbrel did pick up his 41st save to become the rookie pitcher with the most saves since they started keeping this record in 1969. Chipper Jones hit his 450th home run and pitcher Lowe hit his 1st home run.

Ron
  • Jack Wilson, Mariner infield. He should be off 15 day DL soon. Just some depth in the infield. WOOO HOOO Chipper 450!!! And yes, I have been on here and ripped Lowe. So I will give credit as well when due. He has been better last 3 games. Hopefully they can keep him fresh, and he stays on this path.
    Do the Phillies have a double digit lead yet?
  • Stevek,

The lead no longer matters. It looks like the Braves are willing to be a "Made it into the Play-offs by the skin of our teeth" team. After watching Derek Lowe give away the farm tonight while Fredi sat on his duff and watched, I am totally disgusted with them. Then when they finally took Lowe out they bring in Linebrink. Hell Kawakame can do as good if not better than Linebrink. We still get all the Braves games on TV and I am so sick and tired of hearing that Fredi has got to rest his Bull pen to save them for the play-offs. If you go into the play-offs as an also ran team, you will go nowhere and end up an also ran team. The nonly person more rested than the Braves bull pen is the man that posts the score on the Atlanta scoreboardl. I am Pi$$ed, big time.

Ron
    I don't know why you're saying that? The Braves look like almost a lock for the playoffs, unless I'm missing something?

Come the playoffs, nobody cares who won the NL East, not even me.
    7.5 game lead with 20ish to play.

God Himself couldn't stop the Braves from making the playoffs.

Braves playing some tough baseball...Phillies playing just a little tougher right now.

I'm already looking forward to the playoffs...and the Braves will be tough again...could go either way...ya never know.

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at the game in St Louis on Friday night. That was a great game. Best one I've ever been to in person. Cardinals get the sweep and pull to within 4.5 of the wildcard!

Shane

<< <i>I was at the game in St Louis on Friday night. That was a great game. Best one I've ever been to in person. Cardinals get the sweep and pull to within 4.5 of the wildcard! >>

Whoa...no wonder this thread got quiet.

Doesn't matter to me who gets in...I'm not sure who I dislike more, the Atlanta Braves or Albert Pujols. image
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was at the game in St Louis on Friday night. That was a great game. Best one I've ever been to in person. Cardinals get the sweep and pull to within 4.5 of the wildcard! >>

Whoa...no wonder this thread got quiet.

Doesn't matter to me who gets in...I'm not sure who I dislike more, the Atlanta Braves or Albert Pujols. image >>

It's gotta be Pujols. He is such a cheater, I don't see how anybody likes that guy.

Shane

Any truth to the rumor that the Braves are feeling desperate, and therefore asked Hank Aaron to come back for pinch hitting duties?

<< <i>7.5 game lead with 20ish to play.

God Himself couldn't stop the Braves from making the playoffs.

image >>

4.5 with 16/17 left....
    Melvin289 probably right now, walking slowly around a campfire, holding the sacred beads, chanting words to encourage good fortune and favor amongst the baseball spirits. image

• << <i>Melvin289 probably right now, walking slowly around a campfire, holding the sacred beads, chanting words to encourage good fortune and favor amongst the baseball spirits. image >>

Actually stevek I am fuming. Every time I watch the Braves on TV all I hear is Fredi Gonzolez (Sp) has got to figure how to rest his bullpen. He left Lowe in the other night until he had given away, not up, 7 runs. What in the name of He!! is he saving the bullpen for? So they can be all rested up to watch the dang playoffs on TV with the rest of us. Between Lowe and Linebrink they are going to give the season away and Fredi sits there and watches like he don't give a hoot. At least Bobby Cox would pick his nose so we knew he was awake. You know I'm tired too but I have come to work ever day since I started working in 1965 and I'll be back in here tomorrow night and the next night etc. I don't want to hear that 20 somethings are tired. They can be tired when they get old. There is, for the most part, no tomorrow in baseball. You do what it takes to win and worry about tomorrow when it gets here.

Ron

Edited to add: I have been in contact with the local Root Man and he showed up with a chicken foot in a jar and some bones and sticks and is building a fire in the back yard as we speak. image
    This team has lost their mojo. I'm nervous.

<< <i>This team has lost their mojo. I'm nervous. >>

imageimage
  • Damn, they finally one one tonight, 7 to 1. It's just about time.

Guess I better call the Root Man back out again.

Ron
  • The Braves can't get any LOWEr........