Home Sports Talk
Options

Official 2011 Atlanta Braves Thread

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK Braves fans...what do you think the team is going to do in 2011? New manager in Freddie G, new power in the lineup with Uggla, Chipper seems like he is back, great rotation. The 2 things that concern me are the errors and the bench. I still think we win 93 games and go down to the wire with the Phillies for the NL East. Wild Card at worst. This.....is Braves Country. And this......is our teAm! image

Comments

• Options
    I hope the pitching holds up and Freeman is as good as spring might indicate. I do see defense being a problem. I will be tomahawk chopping.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not into baseball like many here are, usually watch Indians and Reds. I enjoy Sunday Night Baseball with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan which I guess is not to happen this year. As a more casual fan I will say if defence is a problem and you can only hope to have decent pitching I would not expect a lot this year unless the rest of the Division really sucks.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

<< <i>I'm not into baseball like many here are, usually watch Indians and Reds. I enjoy Sunday Night Baseball with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan which I guess is not to happen this year. As a more casual fan I will say if defence is a problem and you can only hope to have decent pitching I would not expect a lot this year unless the rest of the Division really sucks. >>

The Phillies obviously are good...the Mets, Marlins and Nationals could very possibly suck pretty bad this year!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that famous Braves pitching staff when they were dominant in the NL East, unquestionably one of the best pitching staffs of all time...has been reincarnated in Philly. image
  • Options
    My guess is 2nd in the NL East, and grabbing the wildcard. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this season plays out given all the new faces (Uggla, Freeman, Fredi Gonzalez) as well as the closer spot with inexperienced guys like Venters and Kimbrel back there. Not so happy about it possibly being Chipper's last season though. image

I'm planning a trip up to Atlanta this summer like I try to do every summer but not sure on when that will be yet.

Up 2-0 on the Nats as I type, with Heyward having his second opening day homer in a row! Maybe he'll make this an annual thing? image
  • Options
    Woo-hoo! Great win today!! No errors, Lowe was excellent, Heyward with another opening day HR, back of the pen looking good. Here we go!!!! image
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that famous Braves pitching staff when they were dominant in the NL East, unquestionably one of the best pitching staffs of all time...has been reincarnated in Philly. image >>

Wait until you get 4 or 5 CY Youngs in a row with this staff (as Phillies) and then lets compare them to the Braves rotation of the 90's. Sure they are great pitchers....but they haven't been great for the Phillies yet and haven't had the success or awards to warrant any comparisons.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options

<< <i>OK Braves fans...what do you think the team is going to do in 2011? New manager in Freddie G, new power in the lineup with Uggla, Chipper seems like he is back, great rotation. The 2 things that concern me are the errors and the bench. I still think we win 93 games and go down to the wire with the Phillies for the NL East. Wild Card at worst. This.....is Braves Country. And this......is our teAm! image

image >>

I see this team as being slightly better offensively, slightly worse defensively, and pitching will be about the same. I think the keys to the season are 1) Chipper staying healthy and putting up average #'s. I think after watching the fill ins a 3B last year, we may need his glove more than his bat. 2) Can Venters/Kembrel fill the hole from Billy Wagner? I don't think so, I just hope its close. 3) Can Prado continue to be Prado or was last year a fluke? 4) Brandon Beachy will surely be better than Kenshin kawakami in the 5 spot...We'll need him to be MUCH better and win 12-14 games.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    so far so good for Beachy thus far.
    Lets go offense.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>so far so good for Beachy thus far.
    Lets go offense. >>

Yeah Beachy pitched great-better than I expected to be honest. Unfortunately it appears they wasted all their hits whooping that Nats asses yesterday image
  • Options
    Mike Minor looked TERRIBLE.

• Options
    Chipper plays the hero again!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!! image Bring Lee to Turner Field anytime you want Phillies!!! image Great start to this series! image
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Chipper with 2,500 hits!!!!

Nice defense by Victorino, huh? image
  • Options
    When I saw Bobby Cox throw out the 1st pitch, I already knew how the game was going to end. Sometimes destiny dictates that certain teams win on certain nights.

• Options
    Sure seems to be a lot of chirping going on in this thread.

We will see if that chirping continues after Sunday's game.
  • Options

<< <i>Sure seems to be a lot of chirping going on in this thread.

We will see if that chirping continues after Sunday's game. >>

Sunday's game? You've already conceded the Saturday game? You like Oswalt that much, huh...

• Options

<< <i>

Sunday's game? You've already conceded the Saturday game? You like Oswalt that much, huh... >>

I stated after Sunday's game, when the Phillies will have taken two straight.

When talking smack, I believe in doing it boldly...it's more fun that way image
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Nobody chirps more than Stevie Boy
  • Options
    Anyone else pleasantly surprised with uggla's defense?

Sherrill and linebrink are turrible.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone else pleasantly surprised with uggla's defense?

Sherrill and linebrink are turrible. >>

Yes, to both.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Sunday's game? You've already conceded the Saturday game? You like Oswalt that much, huh... >>

I stated after Sunday's game, when the Phillies will have taken two straight.

When talking smack, I believe in doing it boldly...it's more fun that way image >>

Well...Sunday is the rubber match....I'd wish your team "good luck" but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image
  • Options
    Congrats on the Braves being in first place in the NL East.

Oops...I had the newspaper upside down. LOL
  • Options
    Chipper with the HR to get to 1,500 RBI's to go along with his 2,503 Hits! Sucked that they struggled so much against Johnson, but that provided a lone bright spot.
  • Options
    I listen to a local sports talk show out of Atlanta that Leo Mazzone is part of...before the game last night he said that during last year's All-Star game, everyone was talking about how filthy Josh Johnson's stuff was when he would pitch. After last night, I can see why! He's the real deal! I hope we have better luck tonight against Nolasco!
  • Options
    Hard to believe it could be much worse, struggling with bats lately.
  • Options
    The good news is that the Mets are coming to town. I sense that the Bravos are about to get hot...

• Options
    Great way to start...winning both in the double header!!! image
  • Options
    I'd like to know if Chipper Jones will make it to 3000 hits and 500 HR's before he retires. I don't see him going to another team for it either.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably not. The homers are an outside possibility but he's @ 500 hits short of 3000.
  • Options
    Top of the 10th. Bases loaded 2 outs...Brian Wilson on the mound for SF and Nate McLouth at bat. The count is 3-1.. Brian Wilson throws a fastball 5 inches off the plate and gets the call. Seriously, this one wasn't close. It was an easy call "Ball" but the homeplate umpire chose to be a SF homer and give Wilson the call. Whatever..Karma stepped in. On the next pitch, Mclouth drilled a fastball back up the middle. 2 runs scored. Thats what I like about baseball. Usually the team that is supposed to win, wins.

I also want to say that Brian Wilson sucks this year. Giants fans must be very worried about him at this point. He'll have a 8+ ERA on the season after today's game.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I also want to say that Brian Wilson sucks this year. Giants fans must be very worried about him at this point. He'll have a 8+ ERA on the season after today's game. >>

We're not worried at all. He was hurt for most of spring training and started the season off on the DL. Look at his game log.

We (or at least I) expected a slow start for him.

I'm more worried about Bumgarner not snapping out of this funk he's in.

<< <i>but the homeplate umpire chose to be a SF homer >>

The Bravos waltzed into SF and brought 3 beat-downs with them, and you're whining about the umpires? Giants pitchers walked 7 guys yesterday (4 of which ended up scoring). I could whine about how the SF pitchers got squeezed, but the fact that the Giants hitters didn't hit makes the point somewhat moot.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    You know Braves fans, it's early yet. As long as we never have to ever see Kawakame again we have a chance. But like a bad penny they keep bringing him back.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    What's better than a win?????

Huddy was AWESOME!!! Complete game 1 hit shutout in the 2nd game of the double header! The bats have come alive boys....and the pitching it there! Here we go!!! image
  • Options
    Hallco it has been an awesome 3 game series so far. Maybe they can pull off the 4 game sweep Thursday night.

Ron
  • Options

Now let's get ready for those nut jobs in the city of Brotherly love! image
  • Options
    Drove to Philly back in 1990 to see a 3 game series with the Phillies. I made the mistake of wearing a Braves hat to the game. Some guys were making fun of me for pulling for the Braves. 90 was the last year they finished in last place. They were taunting me telling me Atlanta was America's team. I didn't realize they were trying to start something and told them at least Pete Rose never played for us. I thought I was going to have to fight my way out of there. That was the first, last, and only time I went to Philly to see the Braves play. Many time I have been to Atlanta to see a game and people would be there pulling for the other team. I never saw any of them treated that way.

Ron
  • Options

<< <i>Drove to Philly back in 1990 to see a 3 game series with the Phillies. I made the mistake of wearing a Braves hat to the game. Some guys were making fun of me for pulling for the Braves. 90 was the last year they finished in last place. They were taunting me telling me Atlanta was America's team. I didn't realize they were trying to start something and told them at least Pete Rose never played for us. I thought I was going to have to fight my way out of there. That was the first, last, and only time I went to Philly to see the Braves play. Many time I have been to Atlanta to see a game and people would be there pulling for the other team. I never saw any of them treated that way.

Ron >>

<<< They were taunting me telling me Atlanta was America's team. I didn't realize they were trying to start something and told them at least Pete Rose never played for us. >>>

Oh you poor baby...you poor, poor pompous egotistical baby which is exactly what many Braves fans were for the longest time when the Braves had one of the best pitching staffs of all time. Sure seems to me by your "Pete Rose" comment that you gave back the smack as well as you were getting it.

Sports fans are 99.999% bluff with no intentions of physical violence, and you should know that...you weren't in any danger of a fight so please stop with the dramatization...and BTW, I've been to quite a few Phillies games, at least a hundred over the years and I have never observed one time, any opposing fans being treated with disrespect other than perhaps a quick good natured ribbing which the opposing fans clearly understood was all in good fun.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Drove to Philly back in 1990 to see a 3 game series with the Phillies. I made the mistake of wearing a Braves hat to the game. Some guys were making fun of me for pulling for the Braves. 90 was the last year they finished in last place. They were taunting me telling me Atlanta was America's team. I didn't realize they were trying to start something and told them at least Pete Rose never played for us. I thought I was going to have to fight my way out of there. That was the first, last, and only time I went to Philly to see the Braves play. Many time I have been to Atlanta to see a game and people would be there pulling for the other team. I never saw any of them treated that way.

Ron >>

<<< They were taunting me telling me Atlanta was America's team. I didn't realize they were trying to start something and told them at least Pete Rose never played for us. >>>

Oh you poor baby...you poor, poor pompous egotistical baby which is exactly what many Braves fans were for the longest time when the Braves had one of the best pitching staffs of all time. Sure seems to me by your "Pete Rose" comment that you gave back the smack as well as you were getting it.

Sports fans are 99.999% bluff with no intentions of physical violence, and you should know that...you weren't in any danger of a fight so please stop with the dramatization...and BTW, I've been to quite a few Phillies games, at least a hundred over the years and I have never observed one time, any opposing fans being treated with disrespect other than perhaps a quick good natured ribbing which the opposing fans clearly understood was all in good fun. >>

If you'll check my post again it was 1990 and the Braves were ½ game better than the Orioles for last team in the majors. They finished last in the Nation League. You had to just love the Braves then because they were terrible at best. In 1990 we didn't have the "Big Three" pitching for us. Our best player was Dale Murphy and the rest of the Braves had managed to pull him down to their level.

Ron

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Ron >>

Sports fans are 99.999% bluff with no intentions of physical violence, and you should know that...you weren't in any danger of a fight so please stop with the dramatization...and BTW, I've been to quite a few Phillies games, at least a hundred over the years and I have never observed one time, any opposing fans being treated with disrespect other than perhaps a quick good natured ribbing which the opposing fans clearly understood was all in good fun. >>

If you'll check my post again it was 1990 and the Braves were ½ game better than the Orioles for last team in the majors. They finished last in the Nation League. You had to just love the Braves then because they were terrible at best. In 1990 we didn't have the "Big Three" pitching for us. Our best player was Dale Murphy and the rest of the Braves had managed to pull him down to their level.

Ron >>

I didn't Google it to check how the Braves did that year, and that wasn't the overall point...you almost made it sound as though visiting the Vet was equivalent to visiting a state prison baseball game with no guards around. Perhaps in your mind it was, and so you got a proper response from a Phillies fan.

I'm not saying some parts of Philadelphia aren't violent, but attending a Phillies game for sure is not one of them.....

.....even when you're wearing a Braves cap. image
  • Options
    I'll tell y'all a little secret. 1st game, 5 to 0, only 2 hits.

Ron
  • Options

<< <i>I'll tell y'all a little secret. 1st game, 5 to 0, only 2 hits.

Ron >>

HALLCO LIKES THIS! imageimageimage

Strikeout 16 and get the loss....wonder how many times that has happened. What a performance by Braves pitching this past week!! image
  • Options
    By around 11:00pm Sunday night, this thread may be abandoned like a ghost town.
  • Options
    My Magic 8 Ball has just spoken:

1) Phillie Phanatic will break a hip during the 7th inning stretch....will move into an assisted living facility out near Villanova
    2) John Kruk will choke on one of the many sandwiches he will scarf down
    3) Cole Hamels will get calls 3-4 inches off the plate
    4) JJ will go 7 strong and get the win
    5) ESPN announcers will continue their man crush on Chipper

• Options
    Like Bobby always said...."Win the Series"!!! image
  • Options
    Sunday night final
    Atlanta 5 runs on 8 hits
    Philly 2 runs on 12 hits

Saturday night
    Philly 3 to 0 against a rookie pitcher the Braves brought in from Triple A to pitch the one game.

Ron
  • Options
    congrats on winning 2 outa 3 in our house...we'll see ya again in a week.
  • Options

<< <i>congrats on winning 2 outa 3 in our house...we'll see ya again in a week. >>

Regardless of the outcome it should be a good series.

I have a theory on sports, win or lose they'll do it all over again next year.

Ron
  • Options
    Chirp.

• Options

<< <i>Chirp. >>

imageimage
  • Options
    A story from way back when.

Once in an interview Bob Horner was asked why he thought other teams hated the Braves. This was back prior to 1991 and their good years. This was when they had to play well to finish last.

His reply

He said that since the Braves were on Ted Turner's Super Station and could be picked up anywhere in the US of A. When the Braves would come to town sometimes they would have more fans in the stadium than the home team. He said that people that lived in the surrounding areas could not get the local team on TV but could get the Braves coutesey of cable and the Super Station. These people would make the trip to the game to see the Braves since they got them on TV every night and there were always quite a few Braves fans in the seats every where they played.

Just a little trivia.

Ron