Home Sports Talk
Options

Official 2011 Atlanta Braves Thread

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A story from way back when.

Once in an interview Bob Horner was asked why he thought other teams hated the Braves. This was back prior to 1991 and their good years. This was when they had to play well to finish last.

His reply

He said that since the Braves were on Ted Turner's Super Station and could be picked up anywhere in the US of A. When the Braves would come to town sometimes they would have more fans in the stadium than the home team. He said that people that lived in the surrounding areas could not get the local team on TV but could get the Braves coutesey of cable and the Super Station. These people would make the trip to the game to see the Braves since they got them on TV every night and there were always quite a few Braves fans in the seats every where they played.

Just a little trivia.

Ron >>

Ted Turner marrying Jane Fonda had something to do with it as well. And as much as Jane Fonda was loathed by many for what she did during the Vietnam War, ya didn't even necessarily need Jane Fonda in the equation to dislike Ted Turner.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A story from way back when.

Once in an interview Bob Horner was asked why he thought other teams hated the Braves. This was back prior to 1991 and their good years. This was when they had to play well to finish last.

His reply

He said that since the Braves were on Ted Turner's Super Station and could be picked up anywhere in the US of A. When the Braves would come to town sometimes they would have more fans in the stadium than the home team. He said that people that lived in the surrounding areas could not get the local team on TV but could get the Braves coutesey of cable and the Super Station. These people would make the trip to the game to see the Braves since they got them on TV every night and there were always quite a few Braves fans in the seats every where they played.

Just a little trivia.

Ron >>

Ted Turner marrying Jane Fonda had something to do with it as well. And as much as Jane Fonda was loathed by many for what she did during the Vietnam War, ya didn't even necessarily need Jane Fonda in the equation to dislike Ted Turner. >>

Also...that stunt Turner pulled of him being the manager for a game, and it would have been for more games if the commissioner hadn't stepped in...in my view Turner disrespected and made a mockery of the game - another reason to dislike Ted Turner and his Braves.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Ted Turner taught the rest of the league how to make $ in ways other than ticket sales and stadium food. TBS and the Braves were decades before the YES network that the Steinbrenners use and other cable outlets for baseball. I'm not sure how you can argue that Turner wasn't good for the game of baseball. Most Braves fans loved Ted, but didn't care much for his retard commie wife, Jane.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! We beat Halladay to win the series!!!! image Uggla the hero today!
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Uggla was the heart & soul of our Marlins. When he left here, it broke my heart.

He will be the deciding factor for 'many a Braves wins' in the future!

rd
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    You know it's a shame that umpire mistakes have come to the forefront so much this year. A bad call cost a pitcher a perfect game (that may have been last year,I'm old). Another umpire call gave a pitcher a no hitter. We won't even talk about a particular strike call Friday night that was missed.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    YES WE.......MC CANN!!!!!!!!! image Way to go Mr. All-Star MVP!!!! image

• Options
    image McCann image
  • Options
    Well it's been a week since anything was posted to this thread. The Braves have dropped 4 of their last 5 games and not sure the Phillies and Marlins have done a whole lot better. I know all 3 teams lost today, Sunday. Oh well, that's why baseball plays 162 games a year.

Ron
  • Options
    Well here it is Thursday morning at 2:39 AM EDT on May 26th. It's been 4 days since anyone posted to this thread. The Braves, Phillies, and Marlins all won today or yeasterday, Wednesday the 25th in overtime games. The Braves in 11, the marlins in 12, and the Phillies in 19 innings.

We need people to post in this Forum.

Ron
  • Options

<< <i>congrats on winning 2 outa 3 in our house...we'll see ya again in a week. >>

I wish we did have another homestand with Phili. We own those jokers.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Update for Friday night May 3rd.

Braves are 2 games behind the Marlins and 2 1/2 behind the Phils in the NL East.

Ron

• Options
    "Lar....ry.......Lar....ry......Lar.....oh crap, he just hit another home run against us?!" imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>"Lar....ry.......Lar....ry......Lar.....oh crap, he just hit another home run against us?!" imageimage >>

Once years ago, back in the mid 80's we were in Atlanta for a series against the Mets. We were sitting in the right field seats about 5 rows back and kept heckling Darryl Strawberry. You know Da-rr-rr-ylllll, Da-rr-rr-ylllll. An old gentleman sitting beside us looked at us and said,
    "Now Darryl's not bothering anyone, you ought to leave him alone. If he gets mad he can hurt the Braves." We left him alone the rest of the game. Maybe Mets fans shouldn't taunt Chipper. That was one heck of a home run he hit tonight. I never did hear how far it went.

Ron
  • Options
    Tuesday June 7, Braves beat Marlins to take over 2nd place by themselves for the first time since the first part of April. Phils lost to Dodgers. Braves now 3 games back of 1st place.

Ron
  • Options
    The other teams in the NL East look done...as expected...looks like a two horse race between the Phils and the Braves for the NL East championship.

I'd wish the Braves good luck but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image
  • Options
    Braves beat Marlins for the sweep. Phils fall to Cubs in 11 innings. Braves 2 games out of 1st.

Ron
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I wanted to make the drive down to Miami to see a game but it wasn't in the cards. Very important sweep though!
  • Options
    I figured this would happen to the Marlins. I really like their rotation, but too much youth in the field. I DO however think that their squad is talented enough that if they keep them intact for another 2-3 years, then they might have something. If they continue to fail to resign their stars, then unfortunately they will become another Pittsburgh-type laughingstock.

I think we all discussed this before- But I think the divisional runner up in the East will again take the Wildcard and will likely open with the Giants or Cards, both of whom will likely run away with thier respective divisions. The Phills/Braves might be the only real "race" in the NL this year.

• Options
    "The Phills/Braves might be the only real "race" in the NL this year."

I do believe McAdams might have hit the nail on the head here. Since my last post the Braves have beat Houston 3 games in a row and are still 2 games back of Philly. The Phils just won't play nice and go away.

Ron
  • Options
    Nice little streak we have here. Uggla showing some life at the plate the last few games is nice.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Oh I did hear a little something in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA
  • Options

<< <i>Oh I did hear a little something in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA >>

I was wondering where you had been. I got in the shower tonight Braves were ahead 6 to 4, get out of shower game is tied.
    I knew I should have waited until Saturday to take my bath.

Ron

• Options
    A balk!!! image We'll take it! image We need all the help we can get! image
  • Options

<< <i>A balk!!! image We'll take it! image We need all the help we can get! image >>

By golly the Braves came back to win the game. Glad i didn't wait until Saturday to bathe.

Ron

• Options
    Monday June 20. Tim Hudson pitched 8 innings and hit a 2 run homer to beat Toronto 2 to zip and Kimbrel got his 20th save to lead the Braves to their 2nd win in a row. They are still 4½ games back of the Phillies but they can make that up. Not had much to talk about the last few day but things are looking up.

Ron
  • Options
    Tuesday June 28. Braves came from behind against Seattle to win 5 to 4 and remain 4½ games back of the Phils.
    Had to get the Braves thread back on the front page.

Ron
  • Options
    If the Braves won 35 of their next 40, somehow the Phillies would do the same. Its impossible to make up ground on that team unless you're actually playing them. Smells like another wildcard for the Braves.

• Options

<< <i>If the Braves won 35 of their next 40, somehow the Phillies would do the same. Its impossible to make up ground on that team unless you're actually playing them. Smells like another wildcard for the Braves. >>

I do believe you might be right. Was watching the Phils and Red Sox tonight before coming to work. After the Red Sox pitcher hit a ball to the wall to tie the game he later gave up a homerun ball and the game was 2 to 1 Philly with 2 outs in the 9th when I left the house. And they are doing this with a minor league bull pen.

Ron
  • Options

I LOVE it when pitchers help their own cause! Way to go Lowe! image And what about that bullpen? Kimbrell is just sick! image
  • Options
    Good news tonight. The Phils finally lost after a Braves win. The Marlins came back to beat the Phils 7 to 6 in 10 innings and the Braves are 3 games out now. The Braves have one more game with the Rockies tomorrow afternoon at 1 PM EDT and I believe the Phils have 3 games with the Nationals. Not counting my chickens but we could go into the All-Star break in 1st place. May be wishful thinking but I can dream if I wish.

Ron

Edited to add: Please forgive my mistake on this thread. Colorado plays the Nationals and the Braves and the Phils play 3 in Atlanta before the All Star break.
  • Options
    Braves playing tough...the NL East champ might not even matter as far as getting into the playoffs...the way it's going, it certainly seems like the wild card will come out of the NL East.
  • Options
    Time to head up to the City of Brotherly Love! image I'm sure the fans will be more than brotherly in welcoming us!!! imageimage
  • Options
    At least we are back to normal play again. We don't have to deal with playing around the walkers and Rascals that the junior league needs for their DH's. We don't have to trip over the Geritol bottles and BenGay tubes left lying around by the over-the-hill DH's. Pitchers may not be great hitters although they do alright (don't tell Derek Lowe or Tim Hudson this), but we don't have to strain their vegetables before they can eat them.

A little humor before going into a very important series with the Phils.

Ron
  • Options

<< <i>Time to head up to the City of Brotherly Love! image I'm sure the fans will be more than brotherly in welcoming us!!! imageimage >>

Those stories of Phillies fans not warmly welcoming other team's fans to visit our area and take in a ballgame simply are not true. All we ask is that you do not eat any of our food, do not drink our water, do not use our toilets, and if you do visit our stadium we have standing room only accomodations for you to enjoy the game...and you are welcome to sleep soundly and stay in your tent or sleeping bag along the banks of the Delaware or Schuylkill Rivers for up to a few days before departing.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Time to head up to the City of Brotherly Love! image I'm sure the fans will be more than brotherly in welcoming us!!! imageimage >>

Those stories of Phillies fans not warmly welcoming other team's fans to visit our area and take in a ballgame simply are not true. All we ask is that you do not eat any of our food, do not drink our water, do not use our toilets, and if you do visit our stadium we have standing room only accomodations for you to enjoy the game...and you are welcome to sleep soundly and stay in your tent or sleeping bag along the banks of the Delaware or Schuylkill Rivers for up to a few days before departing. >>

Steve did I ever tell you I was actually on the field at Veterans Stadium once. July 4th, 1990 we had driven to Philly for a 3 game series with the Braves. On July 4th they let the fans on the field to see the fireworks. I had already cut the seats in the stands and cut a piece out of the Astroturf. Just kidding on that but it probably jinxed the Phils for 10 years or so at least from my being on the playing field.

Ron

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Those stories of Phillies fans not warmly welcoming other team's fans to visit our area and take in a ballgame simply are not true. All we ask is that you do not eat any of our food, do not drink our water, do not use our toilets, and if you do visit our stadium we have standing room only accomodations for you to enjoy the game...and you are welcome to sleep soundly and stay in your tent or sleeping bag along the banks of the Delaware or Schuylkill Rivers for up to a few days before departing. >>

Steve did I ever tell you I was actually on the field at Veterans Stadium once. July 4th, 1990 we had driven to Philly for a 3 game series with the Braves. On July 4th they let the fans on the field to see the fireworks. I had already cut the seats in the stands and cut a piece out of the Astroturf. Just kidding on that but it probably jinxed the Phils for 10 years or so at least from my being on the playing field.

Ron

image >>

I was at the Vet in 1971 on opening day when the stadium opened for its first MLB game. I was also there for the All Star game in 1976. But even by 1990 it had seen better days. There weren't too many tears shed when it was demolished...and in any event there is always the memories...most of them good believe it or not. image
  • Options
    I've never been to a game in Philly...but from what I am told...the home crowd is tougher on their own players when they are losing than they are the visiting team! imageimage Let's hope that they are all over those guys this weekend! image
  • Options

<< <i>I've never been to a game in Philly...but from what I am told...the home crowd is tougher on their own players when they are losing than they are the visiting team! imageimage Let's hope that they are all over those guys this weekend! image >>

I feel compelled to repudiate these vicious rumors. Philly fans gleefully cheer their players when they do something good, and politely and respectfully encourage their players to do better if they do something bad.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I've never been to a game in Philly...but from what I am told...the home crowd is tougher on their own players when they are losing than they are the visiting team! imageimage Let's hope that they are all over those guys this weekend! image >>

I feel compelled to repudiate these vicious rumors. Philly fans gleefully cheer their players when they do something good, and politely and respectfully encourage their players to do better if they do something bad. >>

Steve my mother used to politely and respectfully encourage me to do better. I usually couldn't sit down for a while.

Ron

• Options
    Bottom of the ninth - a walkoff HR would sure look good right now.
  • Options
    I think they are going into extra innings. I should have been able to see most of this game but after the rain delay it was time for me to come to work right when the game started. Darn it.

Ron
  • Options
    okay...now it's really time for a walkoff HR
  • Options
    The Braves defense is really starting to tick me off. image
  • Options

<< <i>okay...now it's really time for a walkoff HR >>

YOU ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I think I'll sneak out of the room while no one is looking.

Ron

• Options
    Braves played very tough...no doubt about it...no quit in them. My hats off to them.
  • Options

<< <i>Braves played very tough...no doubt about it...no quit in them. My hats off to them. >>

I wish I could have watched the game but had to make the donuts.

Ron
  • Options
    Well, you've still got two shots at us before the All Star break.

I'd wish your team "good luck", but you'd know I wouldn't mean it. image
  • Options
    Well we pulled off a 4 to 1 win Saturday. The rubber match is tomorrow at 1 PM EDT. May the best team win.

Ron