Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare coins and politics...an important message

The letter below is being sent to all PCGS Collectors Club members and all PCGS delaers. If you're going to the Baltimore show, please consider attending the important political fund raiser described below. If you're not going to Baltimore, you should read below anyway...it's really important to all of us...hrh

A Special Message from David Hall about battling Chinese counterfeits and other issues that affect all coin collectors and dealers…[b]

Dear fellow coin enthusiast,

The rare coin market is about a $5 billion a year market (not counting straight bullion coins). That’s a lot of money anywhere but Washington. And that’s one of our problems. We are relatively small in the scheme of things. But what Washington does and doesn’t do for us has a big impact on all of our bottom lines.

Fortunately, there are some things we can do to help our market and our businesses, and we have some champions on our side. Some of you might know how much one coin dealer, Barry Stuppler, has done politically for all of us. As his latest project, Barry is one of the driving forces behind the new Gold & Silver PAC, a political action committee to actually represent our interests in Washington.

ICTA (Our Washington DC trade association) has hired a lobbyist who I think is the perfect person to represent our interests, former Louisiana Congressman Jimmy Hayes. Not only is Jimmy super connected as a former Congressman, he was also an extremely serious coin collector who, between 1962 and when his coins were sold by Stacks in 1985, put together one of the finest type sets of U.S. coins ever assembled (it’s in the PCGS Set Registry Hall of Fame).

The first project Jimmy is attacking is the Chinese counterfeit coin issue. Interestingly, we already have laws on the books to deal with sales of counterfeit coins, we just need to get the Treasury Department’s attention and A). get the current laws enforced, and B). make the law tougher on the sellers of Chinese counterfeits. Fortunately, we can do this if we are willing to do what it takes to get things done in Washington. And to get things done in Washington, you need to show your financial support. So our Gold & Silver PAC is having a fund raiser at the Baltimore show for the person in Washington who can help us the most, Congressman Lamar Smith, the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. This important legislator can help us deal with our Chinese counterfeit problem.

If you enjoy participating in the coin market, you need to make a little investment in the future of your hobby. I urge all my fellow coin collectors and dealers to attend the Baltimore fund raiser shown below, it’s important to show Congressman Smith that a lot of people are affected by problems like Chinese counterfeits. If your unable please visit Congressman Smith PAC webpage and send money…see the details below. I believe all coin collectors should send $100, $200, $500…whatever you can afford. And I assure you what we can’t afford is to let the Chinese counterfeiters and counterfeit coin sellers run amok and ruin our market. I feel so strongly about this threat to my livelihood that I’m personally donating the maximum, $5,000, and so is my wife (only individuals can donate, not corporations).

PLEASE READ ALL OF THE INFO BELOW and ATTEND THE FUND RAISER IF YOU ARE GOING TO THE BALTIMORE SHOW.

David Hall

Message from our Gold & Silver Political Action Committee…

Congressman Lamar Smith Reception

Gold and Silver Political Action Committee
Cordially invite you to a reception honoring
Congressman Lamar Smith
Republican, 21st Congressional District of Texas
Chairman, House Judiciary Committee
Member, House Homeland Security Committee
Member, House Science Committee

Thursday, March 31, 2011
6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Baltimore Convention Center
1 West Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
Room 303

The Gold and Silver Political Action Committee urges you to support Congressman Lamar Smith (R-TX), the current Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. The Judiciary Committee oversees many issues including Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights. The House Judiciary Committee is key in enforcing regulations to stop the counterfeit coins and holders coming out of China.

There are a number of other issues the Judiciary Committee oversees that can have a direct or indirect impact on the precious metals and rare coins community. To learn more, you can visit the Judiciary Committee webpage link

The reception for Congressman Smith will be held during the Whitman Coin and Expo in Baltimore. It will be a 45 minute drinks and hor'doeuvres reception beginning promptly at 6:30 PM in the convention center Room 303, right outside the show bourse floor.

I expect Congressman Smith will provide a short speech providing his insight on our issues. It is important to have a good turn out to show legislators, like Congressman Smith, that we are a viable industry, and we will be playing a serious role in endorsing and financially supporting legislators in the 2012 elections.

Congressman Lamar Smith is extremely important to our industry not only concerning counterfeiting, but many other issues affecting our community. Bring your personal checks payable to Texans for Lamar Smith 104 Hume Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22301

If you are unable to attend the Baltimore Fund Raiser Financial support for Congressman Lamar Smith from all precious metal and rare coin dealers, collectors and investors is very important. This being our G&S PAC 1st fund raiser, it will be monitored by other key legislators and their staffs.

Please make your personal contribution to Congressman Lamar Smith on behalf of the Gold and Silver community using a personal check or credit card to this link:

link

Another way you can support Congressman Lamar Smith if you are unable to attend the Gold and Silver PAC fundraiser is to click here print out the attachment and mail it immediately with your personal checks payable to Texans for Lamar Smith and mail to 104 Hume Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22301

Thank you,
Barry Stuppler
Chairman: Gold & Silver Political Action Committee
Barry@goldandsilverpac.org
(818) 592-2800

Paid for by Gold and Silver PAC. Contributions are not deductible as charitable donations for income tax purposes. Federal law requires political committees and individuals to report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer for contributions where aggregate is in excess of $200 in a calendar year. Contributions from corporations and foreign nationals are prohibited.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that political posts on the forum were verboten. image JK

Kudos to PCGS for promoting this effort to help stop the Chinese counterfeiters. I will make a contribution to Congressman Lamar Smith on behalf of the Gold and Silver community, and, regardless of political persuasion, I hope my fellow collectors do the same. image
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    " All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke. I'm in for a donation. Hm
  • Options

<< <i>" All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke. I'm in for a donation. Hm >>

Indeed , truer words never spoken , i've made a few bob over the years trading coins , it would be amiss for me not to donate.Count me in.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a "classic coin" collector ... but I suspect the "modern junk" will be next in their counterfeit repertory. I'm in for a few $$
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be inclined to support the Texas Congressman, while still being mindful that politics/politicians don't always go hand in hand with diplomacy, which appears to be the most effective way of dealing with Communist China as the focus of concern re: the proliferation of counterfeit U.S. coins and the counterfeit holders that they are being placed in...

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HRH:

A couple of suggestions:

(1) Perhaps you can also duplicate this thread at the top of the BST and PCGS Registry forums as well?

(2) Possible to have an encore fundraiser at the June Baltimore show and ANA show in Chicago? We CPA's and many others are worthless until after 4/18!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Don't forget about getting rid of the domestic counterfeiters, too. They are just as insidious, damaging and greedy as their Chinese brothers.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds great DH

Counterfeiting is an insidious problem, I also agree that China is not the only problem area.
    These counterfeit pieces never go away. We might, as a group be real coin weenies who could spot a
    counterfeit and pass on it, but there will be some innocent newbie or maybe a well meaning grandparent
    thinking they are buying something for their grandchild who will end up buying the bogus piece.
    We need to get together and not only find a way to stop or slow these pieces from entering
    the market, we need to find a way to have them removed from the market.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So are we being asked to give Mr. Smith a bunch of money because he is actually planning on doing something about the counterfeit problem, or simply because he is the guy who can maybe help with the problem if he wants to because of his position? Seems like the latter but maybe I misread the posting.

• Options

<< <i>I would be inclined to support the Texas Congressman, while still being mindful that politics/politicians don't always go hand in hand with diplomacy, which appears to be the most effective way of dealing with Communist China as the focus of concern re: the proliferation of counterfeit U.S. coins and the counterfeit holders that they are being placed in... >>

• Options

<< <i>So are we being asked to give Mr. Smith a bunch of money because he is actually planning on doing something about the counterfeit problem, or simply because he is the guy who can maybe help with the problem if he wants to because of his position? Seems like the latter but maybe I misread the posting. >>

Seems to me that if we truly want to stop the counterfeiters from anywhere in the world- we as a civilized group of people should be allowed to round up the scoundrels and hang them as quick as we see fit, after they have had their say in the matter of course.

Giving money to a politician at this time in life is $$ in someone else's pocket, not mine. Eliminate the politician and his entourage and give it to a independent group with legal authority to correct the harm being done is truly wiser- but who do we trust in today's world? I personally would like to see and hear from this member of congress as to what he will do to help in this matter- he is from Texas and if he is on the up n up- he will be on the tele just like our favorite Congresswoman- Sheila 'michael Jackson' Lee( a Texas Congress woman) telling us all what they have done to save the world from all the bad peoples.

Sorry DH- but this one needs a bit of organization from others that are not politically motivated nor inclined to abuse the money tossed in the till to fight a non winning battle.

Counterfeiting has been going on since the time of Christ, and we are going to stop it now?

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to take seriously anyone in a position of authority who goes by Jimmy...
  • Options
    image Let's grab this bull by the horns!
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Good idea/message, not so good politician.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Do we need to RSVP?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    I welcome the news, but it is a sad commemtary on what we have become. You need a PAC to get anyones attention in our Capital.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, they got Von NotHaus for his evil domestic terrorist acts of "counterfeiting". At least that's how they charged him. Yeah, there's a struggle going on, and China is on the wrong side of it, but so is the federal government.

There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware
    I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
    Everybody look what's going down
    There's battle lines being drawn
    Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
    Young people speaking their minds
    Getting so much resistance from behind
    I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
    What a field-day for the heat
    A thousand people in the street
    Singing songs and carrying signs
    Mostly say, hooray for our side
    It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
    Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you're always afraid
    You step out of line, the man come and take you away
    We better stop, hey, what's that sound
    Stop, hey, what's that sound
    Stop, now, what's that sound
    Stop, children, what's that sound
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if everyone is suspicious of a politician, I say we have ideas to put their feet to the fire.

First, the Chinese counterfeit every coin, and that includes Chinese coins. If the Chinese can't be shown the counterfeits of Chinese coins and have them shut down those counterfeiters of Chinese coins, then we ain't going nowhere on them stopping US coin counterfeiters. Point out the problem ones, and let the Chinese know we are watching them. Also, It'd be nice if we had repercussions thought up in advance if they don't take action on our issues.

Second, was an idea I posted back a few weeks ago: ask them to seize the websites of places that sell counterfeit coins. The have already seized illegally streaming media sites. Some of these dot.com sites could be seized, right? Even if subsections of a site were selling counterfeits, they could have a court issue an order for those pages to be removed, right??

Third, is CaptHenway's idea from the "Congress to Review Chinese Fakes - From NN" thread:: perp walks. We know eBay has it sellers of fakes. If the Secret Service were to do a few perp walks of some US based sellers, that'd help, too.

And all of this will let the Congresspersons know we are watching them and expecting something to happen.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, they got Von NotHaus for his evil domestic terrorist acts of "counterfeiting". At least that's how they charged him. Yeah, there's a struggle going on, and China is on the wrong side of it, but so is the federal government.

Paranoia strikes deep
    Everybody look what's going down >>

I cannot name that tune?

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭
    I read recently that counterfeiting is estimated to be 8% of China's GDP. I also heard that some factories that make the counterfeits are the same that make the actual real product, just using inferior quality raw materials for their fakes. Some corporations have resorted to piecing out different components to different sources and then having a final "assembly company" to actually assemble the product, where the different component counts are tightly monitored. Scary stuff...
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <I cannot name that tune?>

Buffalo Springfield I do believe. I know Stephen Stills wrote it. MJ

edited to add the title of the song is For What It's Worth. Also, edited for clarification from a kind birdie.
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    This issue is finally going to get some pressure applied.

AIM IT RIGHT AT EBAY!

EBay is the SINGLE MOST concentrated distributer of Counterfeit Coins in the world.

The Canadians made EBay shut down its Counterfeit Operation.

Why can't the Feds do EBay? (this is rhetorical, I know why)

They stop handbags.

They stopped that poor guy (an American) from selling his "non-Federal Reserve" approved (the privately owned, banking monopoly) Silver last week.

The Govt. Feds are currently grabbing websites without due process RIGHT NOW!, yet they can't do a thing to EBay?

Have the lobbyist ask his pals in Congress "Why not EBay"?
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This issue is finally going to get some pressure applied.

AIM IT RIGHT AT EBAY!

EBay is the SINGLE MOST concentrated distributer of Counterfeit Coins in the world.

The Canadians made EBay shut down its Counterfeit Operation.

Why can't the Feds do EBay? (this is rhetorical, I know why)

They stop handbags.

They stopped that poor guy (an American) from selling his "non-Federal Reserve" approved (the privately owned, banking monopoly) Silver last week.

The Govt. Feds are currently grabbing websites without due process RIGHT NOW!, yet they can't do a thing to EBay?

Have the lobbyist ask his pals in Congress "Why not EBay"? >>

Yea and make it so we can use PayPal to contribute to the cause... How twisted would it be if we could use their own systm to beat them down for allowing counterfeit sales? image
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well, they got Von NotHaus for his evil domestic terrorist acts of "counterfeiting". At least that's how they charged him. Yeah, there's a struggle going on, and China is on the wrong side of it, but so is the federal government.

Paranoia strikes deep
    Everybody look what's going down >>

I cannot name that tune? >>

Buffalo Springfield - Stop, hey what's that sound
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "...Paid for by Gold and Silver PAC. Contributions are not deductible as charitable donations for income tax purposes. Federal law requires political committees and individuals to report the name, mailing address, occupation, and name of employer for contributions where aggregate is in excess of $200 in a calendar year. Contributions from corporations and foreign nationals are prohibited."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With a great concern for the rare coins and our hobby, I'm here. Politically speaking and lawfully abiding, I am a corporation, but support the fight for what is right, even as war determines who is left.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "For what it's worth" - if you go too far to the right, you'll end up on the left.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on board with the idea as long as funds are used for their intended purpose....but we're a Sub-S corp so technically can't contribute the way I read it...? Am I wrong?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that hiring an ex Republican congressman as a lobbyist during a Democratic administration is something of a fool's errand. I have NO political axe to grind and support David in every way with regard to getting a handle on the counterfeit coin problem.

If someone is going to deal with Treasury, it has to be someone who has the juice to reach the right person and make an argument that will be well received. I mention this as a retired Treasury federal employee who is politically neutral in these polarized times.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    Well, I love coins. A look at Smith's voting record is really neat!

Eric
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One area that can and should be addressed is going after the people here in the USA that are complicit in these crimes - eBay sellers, "dealers" etc. Don't even have to go at it on the rare coin aspect - but rather the counterfeiting of a United States monetary instrument - start putting these people up on Federal charges and the demand from China will wither. Since eBay appears to be a large clearinghouse garbage coming in from the far east start cracking down on sellers of material even appearing to be forged, or just plain shut down auctions from that part of the world period.

The US government is behind the pickle barrel for a reason, but it should NOT be. Chinese government and banks own most of the US debt, their military is growing by leaps and bounds. It is going to take a bottoms up and top down change of thinking on the part of American citizens and their government to facilitate the changes necessary to ameliorate these problems.

Counterfeits are the tip of the iceberg, but you have to start somewhere.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Here is a Chinese website which looks suspiciously like eBay

selling fake coins in fake PCGS Slabs

which accepts Paypal, an eBay company, so Ebay Inc makes money off the deal. Notice

the seller recommends how you can make money reselling his $261 fakes for at least $1200

on eBay, so eBay Inc. will make about $100 off the final value fee when it's resold here, and then

Ebay makes another $30 or so from the SECOND time Paypal gets a cut. Sounds like an international

fraud network to me.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Why not some $10,000 demand lawsuits for people selling fake
    PCGS slabs...here is the story of seller of fake "Your Baby Can Read"
    DVD's (Bought from DHGate..the same source as many PCGS fakes.

I live in Amite City, LA and am being sued for selling your baby can Read
    on Ebay. I bought a bunch of these unopened new dvd sets wholesale from
    dhgate.com for resale. I didnt know i was doing anythin wrong just trying
    to make a few extra bucks and until i recived a certified letter form a law
    firm representing your baby can read for Federal trade mark infringement,
    Federal copyright violation, False designation of origin, Trade mark
    Dilution, Unfare Business practices. When i called them to see what this
    was about i was told to get all the information together all names and
    address and how much i sold each one for off of ebay, also all information
    of who i bought this from. They are asking for $10,000. They said it's
    negotiable if I give them the infro they want. What are my rights? Can
    they ask me for all that infro and should i provide it? Also Ebay says I
    can not list anything until a answer a verio complaint. I am really scaired
    because I don't know what to do.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>The Canadians made EBay shut down its Counterfeit Operation.

Why can't the Feds do EBay? >>

Because Canada doesn't have a Hobby Protection Act like the US does.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David is 100% correct - - we have to do something to stop the flow of these counterfeit coins into the country, and maybe this will work. It's definitely worth a shot. I'm in.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

<< <i>Here is a Chinese website which looks suspiciously like eBay

which accepts Paypal, an eBay company, so Ebay Inc makes money off the deal. Notice

the seller recommends how you can make money reselling his $261 fakes for at least $1200

on eBay, so eBay Inc. will make about $100 off the final value fee when it's resold here, and then

Ebay makes another $30 or so from the SECOND time Paypal gets a cut. Sounds like an international

fraud network to me. >>

...........Am I the only one who has noticed the true irony of the situation, is that at the top of this very page in the 'ads by Google', is a link to the very same dhGate 'wholesaler'?

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

fraud network to me. >>

...........Am I the only one who has noticed the true irony of the situation, is that at the top of this very page in the 'ads by Google', is a link to the very same dhGate 'wholesaler'? >>

I agree that e-bay is the one that allows this to happen more than anything/else/one "flooding the market place" with these coins. Now, any respectable dealer is not going to have these fake coins for sale. Maybe e-bay should have some responsibility for this, eh? It seems just to easy for these crooks, to use e-bay as a vehicle, to market these fakes to folks who can not get out to many, or any coin shows and really don't know or can tell the difference. Of course there are many other ways to market these fakes, but at the moment e-bay is the monster in this issue as far as I'm concerned.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>Now, any respectable dealer is not going to have these fake coins for sale. Maybe e-bay should have some responsibility for this, eh? >>

Unlike the respectable dealer you mention, eBay never has the coins in their possession. How are they supposed to accurately authenticate things they never see in hand?
  • Options
    Looks to me like they are putting the cart before the horse.
    The Chinese Counterfeit issue won't mean squat if our elected officials don't do something about the 1099 problem starting in
    2012. Both sides, and Obama, say they want to repeal it but
    neither side is doing anything to make it go away. I am already
    hearing that a lot of coin dealers, and other small businesses, are planning on closing by the end of the year. Seofo.
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    If we purchase coins in PCGS slabs, we are safe from counterfeiters, right? Even if PCGS doesn't catch it and we do later, then the PCGS guarantee takes affect.

I guess without online photo verification, well done fake PCGS slabs would be a huge issue for PCGS. As it would drive down the premium that follows the coins in the slabs and then would drive down demand to get coins in PCGS slabs.

I could be wrong here. Someone help me with this.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    Actually, eBay should sue for patent and design infringements; that site looks TOO MUCH like eBay. It's a blatant rip-off.

Indeed, the physics community should sue for wreckless endangerment of the universe as a whole, since creating a ripoff site that counterfeits a site that sells counterfeits and ripoffs creates an instability in the space-time continuum; should someone try to sell a legitimate PCGS-certified Morgan on that site, the universe as we know it could be destroyed in a cataclysmic quantum tunneling event.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Wish i could be there.
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Rare coins and politics, takes this hobby to a whole new level. Wow!----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>

fraud network to me. >>

...........Am I the only one who has noticed the true irony of the situation, is that at the top of this very page in the 'ads by Google', is a link to the very same dhGate 'wholesaler'? >>

OMG I just noticed that image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now, any respectable dealer is not going to have these fake coins for sale. Maybe e-bay should have some responsibility for this, eh? >>

Unlike the respectable dealer you mention, eBay never has the coins in their possession. How are they supposed to accurately authenticate things they never see in hand? >>

Perhaps the same way it's done right here! E-bay makes tons of money and I'm sure they can hire some Numismatic professionals to over see the store. It's not that hard....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>E-bay makes tons of money and I'm sure they can hire some Numismatic professionals to over see the store. It's not that hard.... >>

I'm sure they can do all sorts of things, but authenticating coins reliably from online images? I don't know if I'd agree. Besides, there are over 1 million items listed in the coin section on eBay. And new listings are constantly added. Figuring 30 seconds each to "over see the store", it would take over 200 people working 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week doing nothing but reviewing listings in order to cover all of them.

Somehow, I'm thinking finding 200+ qualified numismatists willing to do that might be a just little bit hard.
  • Options
    Why has no one gone to China (or funded someone to go) to put these guys out of business the Jack Bauer way? image
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If we purchase coins in PCGS slabs, we are safe from counterfeiters, right? Even if PCGS doesn't catch it and we do later, then the PCGS guarantee takes affect.

I guess without online photo verification, well done fake PCGS slabs would be a huge issue for PCGS. As it would drive down the premium that follows the coins in the slabs and then would drive down demand to get coins in PCGS slabs.

I could be wrong here. Someone help me with this. >>

I completely agree. The only way to thwart counterfeit slabs is to have an image look-up capability.
  • Options
    It's too late.
  • Options
    "...Even if PCGS doesn't catch it and we do later, then the PCGS guarantee takes affect..."

Wrong. Their guarantee DOES NOT cover you if you get stuck with a counterfeit slab (whether the coin inside is real or not).

"...The only way to thwart counterfeit slabs is to have an image look-up capability..."

I couldn't agree more AND they will (perhaps begrudingly) need to image EVERY coin/slab that takes a ride thru Newport Beach and leaves in one of their slabs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file