Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare coins and politics...an important message

2»

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Here's the deal on Chinese counterfeits. There is nothing we can do about the source. it is not against the law to manufacture pre-1948 coins in China and the government there doesn't care. I saw something recently that there were 105 counterfeit coin factories in China.

What we can do is s pound on the sellers here. We choose Congressman Smith because he's A). the head of the House Judiciary Committee so he's the person who can help us more than anyone in Washington, and B). he's already stated a willingness to help on this issue.

hrh

PS to JRocco...as many of you know I'm a crappy (but enthusiastic guitarist/singer). "For What It's Worth" is one of the songs I do at least once a week.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's the deal on Chinese counterfeits. There is nothing we can do about the source. it is not against the law to manufacture pre-1948 coins in China and the government there doesn't care. I saw something recently that there were 105 counterfeit coin factories in China.

What we can do is s pound on the sellers here. We choose Congressman Smith because he's A). the head of the House Judiciary Committee so he's the person who can help us more than anyone in Washington, and B). he's already stated a willingness to help on this issue.

hrh

PS to JRocco...as many of you know I'm a crappy (but enthusiastic guitarist/singer). "For What It's Worth" is one of the songs I do at least once a week. >>

Acknowledging that, I'll also acknowledge there is little to be done about China because China is still China.

*However, on that dhGate site are counterfeit Chinese Pandas. These are current coin. (I'd rather not browse it but I wonder if there are not other current coin on there.)
    *Also, they counterfeit the holders, labels, and holograms.

Additionally, we can also ask for a change (ha! like they'll listen) but we can ask for a change in the law to protect the industry. This is a real industry and it needs protection.

I also reiterate the idea of giving him a wish list or a to do list to get him rolling and as kind of a way to let him know we are expecting something out of this besides the "harumphs" from the bully pulpit.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>Here's the deal on Chinese counterfeits. There is nothing we can do about the source. it is not against the law to manufacture pre-1948 coins in China and the government there doesn't care. I saw something recently that there were 105 counterfeit coin factories in China.

hrh

PS to JRocco...as many of you know I'm a crappy (but enthusiastic guitarist/singer). "For What It's Worth" is one of the songs I do at least once a week. >>

wow that would be cool to see image

most I ever got was I was able to watch you eat lunch at the 2002 worlds fair of money behind, wow I forget whos table you were behind, I bet I can find the pic image

If I find it I will share it with you, not the world

edit: I looked and I believe I kept my word when I told L Sperber I would destroy the disc, as I had taken some pics of her
    but thats another story in itself :/

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>Additionally, we can also ask for a change (ha! like they'll listen) but we can ask for a change in the law to protect the industry. This is a real industry and it needs protection. >>

The Chinese counterfeit industry is real, too. How would it go over here in the US if China contacted us with a request to relax on our counterfeiting laws in order to make things easier for their businesses?

Not so well, I'd imagine. So why would it be any more likely China would agree to modifying their laws to benefit US interests?
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell counterfeits, go to jail! image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    BigRick, I never said "slabs". If we have a counterfeit "coin" in a PCGS slab, we are safe. The PCGS guarantee covers us.

I have posted a handful of times on this forum that you can count on counterfeit slabs getting so good that the most of us will not be able to tell the difference. Mr. Hall is looking for the politicians to save us by enforcing the current laws better and writing new legislation that makes it harder on Chinese counterfeiters. In my opinion, that's simply wishful thinking.

How much faith will the collector have in PCGS if the collector cannot can't do an online photo look-up. Well, at this very moment, there is still a nice premium for coins in PCGS slabs. When, not if, when top notch fake PCGS slabs hit the market, your current slabs will add no premium to the coin they contain. The slabs will be as good as a flip.

Please see my post in October on this subject.

There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Additionally, we can also ask for a change (ha! like they'll listen) but we can ask for a change in the law to protect the industry. This is a real industry and it needs protection. >>

The Chinese counterfeit industry is real, too. How would it go over here in the US if China contacted us with a request to relax on our counterfeiting laws in order to make things easier for their businesses?

Not so well, I'd imagine. So why would it be any more likely China would agree to modifying their laws to benefit US interests? >>

We're talking counterfeiting.

I would hope that, like murder, it is universally understood to be a bad thing.

Plus, lobbyists lobby. That's what they do. If the US Gov't can be lobbied, I'd think the Chinese gov't could be as well.

Where's the fight in you people?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>We're talking counterfeiting.

I would hope that, like murder, it is universally understood to be a bad thing. >>

As HRH noted, the Chinese government doesn't consider the same things to be counterfeit as the US government does. I know that bugs people, but that's just how it is. IMO, insisting that China ought to be enforcing US laws in China is kind of a waste of time. How about focusing on what was suggested above- dealing with the people in the US who are breaking the law here?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>We're talking counterfeiting.

I would hope that, like murder, it is universally understood to be a bad thing. >>

As HRH noted, the Chinese government doesn't consider the same things to be counterfeit as the US government does. I know that bugs people, but that's just how it is. IMO, insisting that China ought to be enforcing US laws in China is kind of a waste of time. How about focusing on what was suggested above- dealing with the people in the US who are breaking the law here? >>

So we sit around feeling defeated and saying that it's over (nothing we can do)??

Lobbyists lobby.

Laws change.

Again, where is the fight in you people?

Also, note that, while I'm mentioning the laws in China, I have not overlooked the US.
    as mentioned by me: seize web sites, remove web pages by court order.
    as mentioned in another thread by CaptHenway: perp walks.

Don't think I'm solely on the China end of this.

You guys sound like the people who were telling me that the UHR problem was typical gov't and nothing could be done... give up.... waste of time....

I and others got action.

The APs were price gouging on the ATB pucks....

I and others got action.

If you have decided nothing can be done, then nothing will be done. I can guarantee that.

• Options

<< <i>If you have decided nothing can be done, then nothing will be done. I can guarantee that. >>

Who said that? Didn't somebody just get done saying:

"How about focusing on what was suggested above- dealing with the people in the US who are breaking the law here?"

It might have even been me- you could look it up.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    China, especially under a communist regime, is always going to do what is in their best interests, and I presume what likely gives them the most delight against their opponents, is doing exactly what is totally in their best interest, while their opponents believe they actually compromised. And make no mistake, China and the US are opponents in a multitude of ways.

Why shouldn't they allow the manufacture of counterfeit coins? It's a source of revenue for them as well as agitates us which is part of Sun Tzu, and also probably in their view, acts to denigrate and disintegrate our capitalist system.

I agree with some of the comments here, instead of complaining about it, not that there's anything wrong with that, but let's work to beat them. I'm not totally up to speed on it, but I'm sure that PCGS as well as PSA, will work to find a way to combat these counterfeit slabs and render them of no value like the image lookup system or other innovative ideas.

I really like what Israel did against Iran with the Stuxnet worm. Not that I'm suggesting we do that to the Chinese counterfeiting sites, of course not, but then again we can't sit on our hands and hope the problem goes away, because it isn't going away. So let's do it...implement some products and services which will negate their counterfeit operations and allow us to enjoy our great hobby...otherwise, they win.
  • Options

<< <i>China, especially under a communist regime, is always going to do what is in their best interests... >>

Don't all countries? Isn't that the point of having your own country in the first place- to look out for your own interests?
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    About China's cyberspies from an official U.S. Army site.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you have decided nothing can be done, then nothing will be done. I can guarantee that. >>

Who said that? Didn't somebody just get done saying:

"How about focusing on what was suggested above- dealing with the people in the US who are breaking the law here?"

It might have even been me- you could look it up. >>

When it comes to China....
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more politicians learn about coins (as well as lawyers), the sooner they will understand the need to preserve their own wealth and start building a type set.

...just sayin'
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

hrh

What I don't understand is
    why does he need money to do his job???
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>What I don't understand is
    why does he need money to do his job??? >>

Money equals access.

It stinks, but it's been the reality in American politics for at least 100 years.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>About China's cyberspies from an official U.S. Army site. >>

Most interesting. Yup, China......our "Most favored trading partner"
  • Options
    Why not - congress doesn't have any bigger pressing issues at the moment...
    "If we are facing in the right direction, all we need to do is keep on walking." - David Brent
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>China, especially under a communist regime, is always going to do what is in their best interests... >>

Don't all countries? Isn't that the point of having your own country in the first place- to look out for your own interests? >>

HAHAHA Do you seriously believe the US government has done everything it can do in the best interest of it's citizens? MAYBE if you have a multi million dollar bank account.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Is it true that America, is slated to become a Chinese Provence by 2020?image

Then we can use Chinese counterfeits as legal means of monetary exchange?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Interesting thread. My concern is that the MPAA hasn't made a dent with piracy and I'm wondering what one lobbyist can do.

That being said.......Give'em Hell and I hope you guys win and win big.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options
    reminder:

It is this evening

Message from our Gold & Silver Political Action Committee…

Congressman Lamar Smith Reception

Gold and Silver Political Action Committee
    Cordially invite you to a reception honoring
    Congressman Lamar Smith
    Republican, 21st Congressional District of Texas
    Chairman, House Judiciary Committee
    Member, House Homeland Security Committee
    Member, House Science Committee

Thursday, March 31, 2011
    6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
    Baltimore Convention Center
    1 West Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
    Room 303

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    How was the meeting, etc.

I know I sounded like I'd show, and I was hoping I could show, but the timing of the wife's trip made it impossible.

I'd really like to know what was discussed, etc. and so forth and so on, yadda yadda yadda ... ... ...

• Options
    This week, Paypal finally stopped their partnership with DHGate, the notorious Chinese e-commerce site that lists thousands of counterfeit items, including
    fake PCGS slabs.

Press Release

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file