Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any pictures of old gold that have been AT'd with IODINE?

I've heard that gold coins like $3 gold have been AT'd with Iodine. What does this look like? Are any market acceptable?

Comments

• PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not familiar with it, but would be interested to see any examples as well.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Well Iodine is a orangish-red color so I guess it could be used to turn gold to a desirable orangish color? I've never heard of it being used before.
    "It is what it is."

• << <i>Well Iodine is a orangish-red color so I guess it could be used to turn gold to a desirable orangish color? I've never heard of it being used before. >>

That is correct about the color and it has been done on numerous occasions.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have a coin that I have been told has been iodined in the past. I will post a photo later, when I get home. I did not iodine it, do not know who iodined it, do not even know 100% for sure that it was iodined, but someone who is universally respected for knowing how to detect these things told me that it was and refused to "approve" it.

Anyway, later...

<< <i>Yes, I have a coin that I have been told has been iodined in the past. I will post a photo later, when I get home. I did not iodine it, do not know who iodined it, do not even know 100% for sure that it was iodined, but someone who is universally respected for knowing how to detect these things told me that it was and refused to "approve" it.

Anyway, later... >>

JA?
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20

<< <i>

<< <i>Yes, I have a coin that I have been told has been iodined in the past. I will post a photo later, when I get home. I did not iodine it, do not know who iodined it, do not even know 100% for sure that it was iodined, but someone who is universally respected for knowing how to detect these things told me that it was and refused to "approve" it.

Anyway, later... >>

JA? >>

Gosh, I did not know that we have a Mensa member among us on the forum. image
    I try I try image
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • would like to pics also image
    Past BST deals baddogss,llafoe,braddick,wondercoin,fireman2030, ProofCollection, SNMAN,halfnut1
    I have been told that this coin may have been previously iodined (see disclaimer posted previously):

imageimage
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Anyway, later... >>

JA? >>

Gosh, I did not know that we have a Mensa member among us on the forum. image >>

Less likely Mensa and more likely The Amazing Kreskin.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT, something else to watch for. image

<< <i>GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT, something else to watch for. image >>

You have not been looking for iodine! image

• << <i>I have been told that this coin may have been previously iodined (see disclaimer posted previously):

imageimage >>

Did I sell that coin to you? If so, it is fine with me if you say so in public. And, assuming it was treated with iodine, I admittedly missed it.image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who didn't know this????? image
    *********************************************************************************************************

Gold Leaching with Iodine
    Iodine
    This is a purplish-black and crystalline solid that has been investigated as a complexing reagent in gold leaching. There are some potential advantages such as the minimization of contamination and the small requirements for a tailings disposal system. One of the aspects studied have been how to recycle iodine to the process. Since the cost of the process is influenced by the addition of iodine, this is a key part of the successful application of the process. Other issue is the solubility of iodine which must be enhanced by the addition of alkaline compound of sodium or potassium. Some researches try to include a reoxidation stage so that iodine can be reuse in the leaching process again. However, the economy of the process is affected if the oxidized agent is not rightly selected. Most of works tested chlorine compounds and iron sulphide minerals such pyrite or marcasite.
    Other fundamental aspect of this gold leaching system is the iodide/iodine ratio and this value must be 2:1. The presence of iodide promotes the solubility of gold. Basically, the iodide/iodine ratio is influenced by the gold ore type. The process is described by the following reactions,
    2Au + I- + I3- = 2AuI2-
    2Au + 3I3- = 2AuI4- + I-
    When the process reached stability, the leaching of gold starts and the solution can be reused in the process again. Iodine forms the most stable gold complexes of other halogens tested on gold leaching. When the process is practiced electrolytically, the efficiency and economy are improved due to the addition of iodine is reduced. The pregnant solution can be treated with activated carbon, ion exchange resins or cementation, but the loading efficiency of carbon and resins is low due to the simultaneous adsorption of gold iodine complex and iodine. Cementation trends to promote more oxidation than necessary and most of zinc powder could be dissolved.

Linky Dinky

<< <i>

<< <i>I have been told that this coin may have been previously iodined (see disclaimer posted previously):

imageimage >>

Did I sell that coin to you? If so, it is fine with me if you say so in public. And, assuming it was treated with iodine, I admittedly missed it.image >>

No, you did not sell me this coin.
    Which areas does it show...I would probably miss it if someone showed me the coin and asked me.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been told that this coin may have been previously iodined (see disclaimer posted previously):

imageimage >>

Is it the smear above the "EN" in "TEN" that I should be paying attention to? image

Thanks for posting it regardless.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a really nice looking $10 Liberty. Does the iodine really tone the coin (chemical reaction) or does it just stain the coin? Can the iodine be easily removed with acetone or does something stronger need to be used?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

The coin is too orange. If you look at it and compare it to other gold coins, it becomes more apparent, but it is a nuance that is difficult to convey in a single image. Perhaps I should bring the coin with me to the Chicago ANA for forum members who would like to see it in person...and then consign to Heritage. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm I must spend some time in my laboratory. Have not done anything with gold and iodine. Will report back. Cheers, RickO
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm I must spend some time in my laboratory. Have not done anything with gold and iodine. Will report back. Cheers, RickO >>

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Apparently, gold will absorb a small amount of iodine and the only way to remove it is to buff it out.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Curious...no pix? what would be the telltale signs? Does generic gold get iodined, like generic Saints?
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Never heard of it.
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I can not see the images......it wants me to login to https://www.icloud.com/

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I can't see them either but I guessed that since the thread is over 2 years old, that the pics had been either moved or removed since.

I know in Photobucket, when I move pictures from one folder to another, they go POOF anywhere that I had them posted . . . Very frustrating ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't see them either but I guessed that since the thread is over 2 years old, that the pics had been either moved or removed since.

I know in Photobucket, when I move pictures from one folder to another, they go POOF anywhere that I had them posted . . . Very frustrating ! ! !

HH >>

I hope they increase the forum picture posting size limit with the rumored forum changes coming up. That way pictures can be hosted by the forum and the pictures will stay with the thread, well, forever. Unlike photobucket or other outside hosting in which the picture is lost when the poster, moves on to another hosting service, or dies, or whatever. Even just moving the picture to another Photobucket folder and the picture to the thread is lost.

Even just to double the picture size limit to 100 kb would help a little. But even 100 kb is a small, out of date, forum size limit. Digital storage is cheap nowadays. In fact I bet many of us could already store the entire forum on our home computer. Increasing the forum picture limit should not be expensive.

This thread is a good example of how some threads are almost useless without the accompanying pictures. And there are many older valuable and informative threads in the archives that also suffer from missing pictures. It's a shame those have been lost.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

And I hope someone can post a picture of an iodine treated coin. image
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    google image search found an MS-62 which CAC would not approve due to iodine, at:
    http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4619178
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very popular until maybe 10 years ago, then the TPG's caught on. The expectation that this knowledge is highly available and (pun intended) absorbable is misplaced.

Seemed to work better on circ. gold, which already has that "lived-in" look. Betcha the Sniffer knows this trickimage

Wonder if Restoration Service can ameliorate the effects without making the coin too "raw" in coloration.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would love to see a few pics.......

What % of currently graded Three's have this issue? SWAG?
    Collecting since 1976.
    The use of this process is in no way limited to the $3 series.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

<< <i>I can not see the images......it wants me to login to https://www.icloud.com/ >>

That was previously Apple's hosting site, mobileme. It does not exist any longer. I will see if I have the images of the coin.

IIRC PCGS has a collection of images of doctored coins which might be useful as a visual reference intended to throw more light on the topic.

IIRC
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have my suspicions that this piece has had the treatment.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

<< <i>I have my suspicions that this piece has had the treatment.

imageimage >>

Named that tune in one note.... sigh
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Betcha the Sniffer knows this trickimage . >>

Yes. I bet it is even detectable w/ human nose. Iodine has a very distinctive pleasant odor...
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iodine is good to put on scratches. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file