Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about 1991 TOPPS DESERT STORM

Is this set worth anything? I see on ebay there is a chipper jones selling for $99.99 but one website says its not worth anything. I'm I missing something here? Can someone help me out? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    You're mixing up two sets.

1991 Topps Desert Storm is a set of military cards.

1991 Topps Desert Shield is a set of 1991 Topps baseball cards with gold foil stamps on them that were shipped to the troops overseas.

The military cards aren't worth anything, but the baseball cards have value. Check out the past sales of the 1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones card.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    kobefan1kobefan1 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Hi thanks for the help. Was the 1991 Topps Desert Shield sold in stores here in the us? One more thing how do you check out past sales?
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    Topps Desert Shield, I believe, was distributed to the Armed Forces during the conflict in 91. I don't think they were sold retail.
  • Options
    You can check out past sales by clicking on "completed listings" on the let hand side in Ebay.

The 1991 Topps Desert Shield baseball set was not a retail product.

• Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    A complete set just sold for $1800 and an unopened wax box went for $2500 if that helps you price them.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Is Felix Jones in that set?
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    they were not sold in the states at any stores....so no Target blaster boxes......
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    forgot to mention, I think there was an article about the cards in a recent PSA monthly mag....
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I agree from what I know that Topps did not retail it in the U.S. , but I think many sets never went over seas and ended up being side tracked in the supply chain and introduced directly into the market here . Plus the set was counterfeited with fake gold stamps and they are sometimes hard to pick up in scans
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    They were likely sold at military exchanges because......baseball cards weren't on many troops want lists back in 1991 while deployed. It is interesting to note and surprising that there hasn't been a new set released by another company in tribute to Iraq or Afghanistan.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Here is the deal on the 1991 Topps Desert Shield Baseball set. In honor the of the troops, Topps took the 1991 set and added a seal used for Operation Desert Shield in a gold foil. "Supposedly", there were about 6500 set made. The cases were to be shipped and handed out to the troops in the desert. I don't know how many of the cards I saw just thrown in the fire pits, but there were a lot. Many cases never made it out of the states (my theory is due to how fast the war was being won). Eventually, they made their way into dealers hands who were selling them for around $50 a pack. There is an article in the Jan issue about the set. The guy who wrote it is a personnal friend of mine who owns the #1 set on the registry. There are several members on the registry who own more than one set. There was a box recently sold on ebay for $2000. and a registry set on Mile High, that did not sell because it didn't get the min. bid. You can pick up raw cards on ebay fairly cheap along with PSA 8s. The 9s are tougher and usually sell for a decent price. The 10s you can almost always look to sell somewhere around $75 dollars or higher. The HOFers and Stars can run from the mid $100s to nearly $1000 or so. If anyone is interested in building the set, there are several members of the registry who are great to work with and would be happy to help. Unfortunately, like everything else, the set has be counterfeited. There are several great articles on google about this issue. The gold seal is the clue; as the shield and flag are altered. I hope this has been some help answering your question.

James
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, theres a decent article on them in this months SMR. At one time I was trying to build a set, still have around 100 or so, may try again one day. Paid about $25 for the McGwire back in the day, dont know if it still goes for that much or not.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Aren't these prices way overblown? By comparison, the Desert Shield cards are not too much more scarce than most of the 1980s Topps Tiffany card sets, yet they sell for 25 times more than what the Tiffany sets sell for?
  • Options

<< <i>Aren't these prices way overblown? By comparison, the Desert Shield cards are not too much more scarce than most of the 1980s Topps Tiffany card sets, yet they sell for 25 times more than what the Tiffany sets sell for? >>

The Desert Shield cards have a little more implied historical significance than the Tiffanys.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm retired Army and was in Desert Storm.

The cards started to surface and in my area had little popularity.

Everyone gave me their packs and I sent them home to my son - who told me - that alot of the stuff was returning to the US and when people got wind of the fact that the only way they were distributed was over there - they caught fire. He was selling packs to the card shop for 40 bucks - don't remember how much I sent home - perhaps about 2 boxes.

We sold our individuals back then for nice money. Then they dropped off.

For sentimental purposes, I wish I had put a set together and kept it. I was not a set collector back then.

There were rumors that cases were being "acquired" and shipped back to the US by supply people - do not know fer sure?
    Mike
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    was the same type of wrapper used for the shield cards as was the "regular" 1991 topps cards?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I believe so!
  • Options
    I'm still confused about how the checklist cards in this set are distinguished from the regular 1991 Topps cards. PSA has graded all the checklist cards from the set so they must be distinguishing them somehow. Does anyone know how?
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a full wax box that has been certified by Steve Hart up in the Mile High auction right now which has already
    hit $2400 or so. Will be interesting to see where this one eventually ends up.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still confused about how the checklist cards in this set are distinguished from the regular 1991 Topps cards. PSA has graded all the checklist cards from the set so they must be distinguishing them somehow. Does anyone know how >>

Wasn't there a special at the National where you broke an expensive pack at BBCE booth and PSA would then grade them on site? That could be a possibility or someone just put Desert Shield in the description?
  • Options

<< <i>There's a full wax box that has been certified by Steve Hart up in the Mile High auction right now which has already
    hit $2400 or so. Will be interesting to see where this one eventually ends up. >>

That price seems about right if its from a legit source. I could see it getting to $3k.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>There's a full wax box that has been certified by Steve Hart up in the Mile High auction right now which has already
    hit $2400 or so. Will be interesting to see where this one eventually ends up. >>

That price seems about right if its from a legit source. I could see it getting to $3k. >>

Wow, that was quick. With the BP it is now just short of $3600. Any guesses on where this box finally ends?

Dave
  • Options
    ToppsFanatic I assume this is your box based on previous conversations.......
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Good luck with your consignment 70ToppsFanatic. Stay classy.
  • Options
    1972 Topps

1990 NNOF Frank Thomas

Here are some other nice items in the auction.
  • Options

<< <i>ToppsFanatic I assume this is your box based on previous conversations....... >>

Actually is not mine. Was offered to me when we were talking, but belongs to someone else.

Dave
  • Options
    Same box. Note the wear is exact.

Thread Title: Sun Times Show(Chicago)...Miconelegacy(Mike) and 70sToppsFanatic(Dave) Final Recap and Updates...

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=872446

Lot #760: 1991 Topps Desert Shield Full Unopened Wax Box

http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=29189

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic, have you placed any bids on the 1991 Topps Desert Shield box in the Mile High auction?

miconelegacy, have you placed any bids on the 1991 Topps Desert Shield box in the Mile High auction?

• Options
    Just curious is the 72 box the same as well?

• Options
    Putting some popcorn on, back in a few...
  • Options
    Colin Powell didn't realize the potential in this thread.
  • Options
    PWCC Frank Thomas

This is the 1990 Frank Thomas card that is in the Mile High auction.
  • Options
    1982 Jesse Ventura

Who ever won the Frank Thomas is the lead bid on this card I have placed a bid on.

• Options
    hotcardcollection won the PWCC Thomas NN
  • Options
    Okay, so this seller is selling the Miconlegacy Collection of cards, including the Jesse Ventura card DPeck was talking about...

LINK

And in this post Miconlegacy states his user name as hotcardcollection...

LINK

And hotcardcollection is bidding on the Ventura card which is being sold by the consignment seller above?

Uh Oh!
  • Options
    A+ work Vlad....
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the blueprint was out there and it was a connect the dot type situation...but yes, it was nicely laid out by Vlad.

I think we have seen this situation play out many times before....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I still am baffled as to why Rick doesn't address this...
  • Options
    and lose profits.....
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I have been watching the Jesse Ventura auction, DPeck put in a legit bid at $100 and then there is a legit bid at $125 so with the owner bidding on this auction there is a $25 profit so far with about six minutes to go....of course, right now the owner of the card is winning their own card.
  • Options

<< <i>and lose profits..... >>

But this isn't the 1st time its been pointed out. You'd think after a while, he'd want to address the rumor mongers, or change his business strategy to not allow this. All you have in this business is your reputation. Just don't like seeing this at all....
  • Options
    This situation is very disappointing.

• Options
    Looks like all the auctions were pulled?
  • Options
    I think the response would be that he has so many listings that he cannot police it and claim ignorance to it all.... of course if he were to address it and protect his repuation as you state, it would mean less profit for him.... I think the question is more so, what happens when the owner of the card wins their card? Are there any deals to relist it without the normal commission fees, etc? What happens here with this Ventura card? I have no idea.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like all the auctions were pulled? >>

Not pulled. It just ended a few minutes ago. Looks like the seller won his card.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hotcardcollection also has a feedback that says "Thanks Connor". You can view Connor in your February 2013 SMR magazine on page 30 and 31 with his name........apparently there is shilling or dad consigns his cards to Probstein and his young son has to buy dad's cards from there. The only SMRs that I have kept are those of DPeck, Navarro, and this one. I gave this one to my fiance to read as she knows I spend a ot of time on the boards and thought it was a good story, yet heartbreaking to share. I think this one will be hitting the recycle pile......
  • Options
    Great work, Dpeck and vladguerrero. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder but here is a summary that should put everything together.

In the following thread, miconelegacy states that he won the PWCC Frank Thomas NNOF card.

Thread Title: PWCC Frank Thomas NNOF - Should be an interesting ending

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=855028

The winning bidder of the PWCC Frank Thomas NNOF card was "hotcardcollection".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140743966194

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=140743966194

As vlad has pointed out, miconelegacy has also identified himself as "hotcardcollection".

Thread Title: Honest Ebay Buyers...There are some out there...Good Karma!!!

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=824975

And as some may know, when Probstein lists cards, he creates an ebay store category for the consignor.

The ebay store category "Miconelegacy Collection" identifies the listing "1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B #20 Jesse Ventura BGS 9 w/ 9.5's" as being a consignment from miconelegacy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370736547192

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=370736547192

One of the bidders on the "1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B #20 Jesse Ventura BGS 9 w/ 9.5's" was "hotcardcollection", an ebay ID belonging to miconelegacy.

The bottom line: miconelegacy was bidding on his own item. Call it shill bidding, safety bidding or whatever you want. I call it fraud.

• Options
    Great work guys and thanks for pointing this stuff out!