Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is there such polarization on these boards...

on issues such as Daniel Carr's 1964 Peace Dollars, The National Collectors Mint and such? It seems to me that some folks on the US Boards have too much time on their hands. Live and let live. Let the proper authorities take care of any SUPPOSED wrong doing. These Boards were designed for the enjoyment, enhancment and comraderie of coin collecting. What happened? Just my NOT so humble opinion.

edited for punctuation.
Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These Boards were designed for the enjoyment, enhancment and comraderie of coin collecting.

actually, this particular forum is for us to "Talk about all types of U.S. coins with other collectors, dealers, and experts." the fact that things get out of control should be expected when you consider the sheer diversity of personality that populates our Hobby. heck, think how drab and lonely the threads would be if we were courteous and well mannered all the time!! image the place would be a ghost-town.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collect what you love and love what you collect...everyone else be damned.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what you say I will do it my way.
    And now for the rest of the story........
    "I will collect what I like"image
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    If we all thought alike, we'd all collect alike... boring!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>It seems to me that some folks on the US Boards have too much time on their hands. >>

Isn't that the raison d'etre of a chatroom?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of us have issues with the points that are made here.

The 1964 Peace Dollar fantasy token should have had the word “Copy” or “Facsimile” struck into it somewhere on the piece. With all the problems we are having in this hobby with counterfeits and altered pieces, that is the least the issuer of this item should have done. Some people, who wish to promote this item for one reason or another, disagree with that.

As for National Collectors Mint, some us think that it is a waste of the government’s time to go after the company just because it issues something this in bad taste.

I HATE censorship. If you don’t like a post, ignore it. No one is forcing you to open it or read it.

I post educational items here now and then, and for most part they don’t get much in the way of responses, and perhaps don’t generate much interest. Controversy breeds debate and interest. Educational posts generate less interest.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely non-polar and don't care a whit one way or the other about 1964 Peace dollars, National Collectors Mint, etc. Its a hobby and not worth the bother.
  • Options
    Some of us have issues with the points that are made here.

The 1964 Peace Dollar fantasy token should not have had the word “Copy” or “Facsimile” struck into it somewhere on the piece.

.......I must have missed the part about letting the proper authorities handling any possible improprieties ........
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .......I must have missed the part about letting the proper authorities handling any possible improprieties ........

hey, this is great, we can do within this thread what the OP is ragging about. i tend to be on the side of those who didn't wet their pants with excitement over that copy.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>.......I must have missed the part about letting the proper authorities handling any possible improprieties ........

hey, this is great, we can do within this thread what the OP is ragging about, thus sort of demonstrating the principal that "no good deed shall go unpunished" in fine forum fashion. Paul, i think all Bill was saying is that "COPY" is written into the language of the law for making, well, copies of stuff. >>

...and you fell right into the fray... dangit, now I'm in the fray too! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill. lots more people read posts than respond...just because you don't get a lot of responses doesn't mean you shouldn't post them, you've certainly seen a lot in your career that many of us would like to know about.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    polarization, why?

because we ALL wake up on one side of the bed one day, then the other side of the bed the next. we just never all seem to be able to match days.

j/k, of course.

I agree, I HATE censorship, that way lies a slippery slope...

now, if PCGS could offer a competent proof and edit service, I'd get behind that 100%! image

honestly, I think PCGS is doing about as well as they can, given the material and personel we've given them to work with. imageimage

ed. personnel sp?, see?! who needs speel chek?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This forum is for US Coins. I imagine if everyone sticks to that then there are fewer issues. IMO.
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It seems to me that some folks on the US Boards have too much time on their hands. >>

Isn't that the raison d'etre of a chatroom? >>

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Collect what you love and love what you collect...everyone else be damned.

Cheers,

Bob >>

And don't forget to have fun with your coins.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    My original thought on the 1964-D dollar was "wow, this is cool." I even purchased one. Now, thanks to many comments on the coin I absolutely believe the coins needed the word copy on it. The coin is in effect a counterfeit even if it was struck over a real Peace Dollar. If a high quality coin like this came from China everyone would be screaming about it not having the word copy on it.

Thank you to those who changed my mind.

Controversy isn't necessarily a bad thing. It changed my mind on the case of this Peace Dollar. I am also glad PCGS won't slab them.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i> Let the proper authorities take care of any SUPPOSED wrong doing. >>

We do let Coinguy1 track down the varmints and rif-raff
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if everybody thought alike
    it would be very boring
    and not as educational

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>Some of us have issues with the points that are made here.

The 1964 Peace Dollar fantasy token should have had the word “Copy” or “Facsimile” struck into it somewhere on the piece. With all the problems we are having in this hobby with counterfeits and altered pieces, that is the least the issuer of this item should have done. Some people, who wish to promote this item for one reason or another, disagree with that.

As for National Collectors Mint, some us think that it is a waste of the government’s time to go after the company just because it issues something this in bad taste.

I HATE censorship. If you don’t like a post, ignore it. No one is forcing you to open it or read it.

I post educational items here now and then, and for most part they don’t get much in the way of responses, and perhaps don’t generate much interest. Controversy breeds debate and interest. Educational posts generate less interest. >>

Bill, I read your posts and appreciate the knowledge you provide to the forum. I do not respond as I am learning from people like you and cannot add much. Anyway, I do enjoy your posts, even if you don't like one of the coins I do like. Thanks for being here! image
  • Options

<< <i> The coin is in effect a counterfeit even if it was struck over a real Peace Dollar. If a high quality coin like this came from China everyone would be screaming about it not having the word copy on it.

I am also glad PCGS won't slab them. >>

My point exactly.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> The coin is in effect a counterfeit even if it was struck over a real Peace Dollar. If a high quality coin like this came from China everyone would be screaming about it not having the word copy on it.

I am also glad PCGS won't slab them. >>

My point exactly. >>

imageimage

Yes, I hope PCGS sticks to its guns and continues to refuse to grade this fantasy item.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We do let Coinguy1 track down the varmints and rif-raff >>

• Options

<< <i>

s'accordent comme chien et chat

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am highly offended by the use of French Terms here. image
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    We could eliminate polarization if everybody else would just stop being WRONG all the time!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    The 64 peace issue is an extreme example. There has been more polarization on that issue than any other, probably because some high profile and respected names jumped in on the side we didn't expect them on. We used to fight over modern bashing but that has pretty much gone away. All issues pass with time. --Jerry

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

s'accordent comme chien et chat >>

Agree with each other like dogs and cats

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    I am grateful for the educational posts and the debates over controversial matters. Regarding the latter, the best debates are conducted with civility. One can be passionate and civil.

Unfortunately, we get a bit too much "posting rage" where folks, hiding behind their avatar, throw below the belt punches with their keyboards. Fortunately, we remain physically separated (contrasted with the notorious road rage incidents that can all too often end badly.)
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I strongly (but respectfully) disagree that there is polarization on the boards.........

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

s'accordent comme chien et chat >>

Agree with each other like dogs and cats >>

Peut-etre plus comme loup et blaireau.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>on issues such as Daniel Carr's 1964 Peace Dollars, The National Collectors Mint and such? It seems to me that some folks on the US Boards have too much time on their hands. Live and let live. Let the proper authorities take care of any SUPPOSED wrong doing. These Boards were designed for the enjoyment, enhancment and comraderie of coin collecting. What happened? Just my NOT so humble opinion. >>

And apparently a polarizing one.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am grateful for the educational posts and the debates over controversial matters. Regarding the latter, the best debates are conducted with civility. One can be passionate and civil.

Unfortunately, we get a bit too much "posting rage" where folks, hiding behind their avatar, throw below the belt punches with their keyboards. Fortunately, we remain physically separated (contrasted with the notorious road rage incidents that can all too often end badly.) >>

I truly think we can and should disagree we can do so in a civil way though. There is a wide range of collecting experience and interest here. I do believe the Carr coins are wonderful art or fantasy pieces and yes should be artfully marked as a copy. That is my perspective and has a place in the discussion as does other opinions. I don't really think that true polarization exist here though.image

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I strongly (but respectfully) disagree that there is polarization on the boards.........

image >>

Let's settle this nonsense once and for all;

Everyone who thinks there is polarization on the boards get on the one side of the boards
    and everyone who thinks there isn't polarization on the boards get on the other. We'll have
    a slugfest at sundown.

If you ain't for us then you're agin' us. image

A lot of people seem to forget just what the word "opinion" means. There is no right answer
    whether toning is good or bad. Hell, most of the time there isn't a right answer of whether
    specific toning is natural or not or even exactly what "natural" means. The world needs to be
    big enough to hold all opinions

We're all stuck on a big damn sphere and even "up" isn't exactly the same for any two people.

Get over it.

If we try to see things from other peoples' perspective there's a real risk of learning something.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My original thought on the 1964-D dollar was "wow, this is cool." I even purchased one. Now, thanks to many comments on the coin I absolutely believe the coins needed the word copy on it. The coin is in effect a counterfeit even if it was struck over a real Peace Dollar. If a high quality coin like this came from China everyone would be screaming about it not having the word copy on it.

Controversy isn't necessarily a bad thing. It changed my mind on the case of this Peace Dollar. I am also glad PCGS won't slab them. >>

Don't let them brain wash you. They aren't counterfeit since there are no real 1964-D in existence since the mint has documented them as all being destroyed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My original thought on the 1964-D dollar was "wow, this is cool." I even purchased one. Now, thanks to many comments on the coin I absolutely believe the coins needed the word copy on it. The coin is in effect a counterfeit even if it was struck over a real Peace Dollar. If a high quality coin like this came from China everyone would be screaming about it not having the word copy on it.

Controversy isn't necessarily a bad thing. It changed my mind on the case of this Peace Dollar. I am also glad PCGS won't slab them. >>

Don't let them brain wash you. They aren't counterfeit since there are no real 1964-D in existence since the mint has documented them as all being destroyed. >>

I don't and never will believe everything the government says. There weren't suppose to be any 1933 $20 either. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>on issues such as Daniel Carr's 1964 Peace Dollars, The National Collectors Mint and such? It seems to me that some folks on the US Boards have too much time on their hands. Live and let live. Let the proper authorities take care of any SUPPOSED wrong doing. These Boards were designed for the enjoyment, enhancment and comraderie of coin collecting. What happened? Just my NOT so humble opinion.

edited for punctuation. >>

Do you feel the same way about coin doctoring too? "Let the proper authorities take care of any supposed coin doctoring"?

The polarization is because some dont' care about the counterfeit aspect as long as they get something they can try to make money from (look how many commented that they wouldn't buy the exact same thing if it had COPY anywhere on it) and those that care enough about the hobby so as to try not to damage it with crap like that.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>If we try to see things from other peoples' perspective there's a real risk of learning something. >>

And I ALWAYS read the posts by Bill Jones. Please add me to his list of "secret admirers." image
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you rather argue about politics? I think not.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am grateful for the educational posts and the debates over controversial matters. Regarding the latter, the best debates are conducted with civility. One can be passionate and civil.

Unfortunately, we get a bit too much "posting rage" where folks, hiding behind their avatar, throw below the belt punches with their keyboards. Fortunately, we remain physically separated (contrasted with the notorious road rage incidents that can all too often end badly.) >>

I truly think we can and should disagree we can do so in a civil way though. There is a wide range of collecting experience and interest here. I do believe the Carr coins are wonderful art or fantasy pieces and yes should be artfully marked as a copy. That is my perspective and has a place in the discussion as does other opinions. I don't really think that true polarization exist here though.image >>

"fantasy" attempt, I could see.
    I have an honest question about your comment they are "wonderful art" though........how do you picture that?
    It's someone else's design with the date date changed, right?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

on issues such as Daniel Carr's 1964 Peace Dollars, The National Collectors Mint and such? It seems to me that some folks on the US Boards have too much time on their hands. Live and let live. Let the proper authorities take care of any SUPPOSED wrong doing. These Boards were designed for the enjoyment, enhancment and comraderie of coin collecting. What happened? Just my NOT so humble opinion.

NOT....edited for punctuation.

It's all good.......
  • Options
    The polarization comes from money mostly. For me collecting my coins is a fun secondary hobby. For others it is a business and livelihood. The name of the game is to make money. And those that make money do so on the backs of those who collect.

Where there is money there is polarization. Different camps of like minded folks.

The whole Dan Carr thing perplexes me. He's very upfront about what he's doing but I think what scares most is what is capable of being done.

My polarization is that I'm generally skeptical of dealers beyond a certain price point. Big money breeds big lies and big profits. Will never forget reading the book about the 33 Double Eagle where EVERYBODY was lying to everybody else about what they paid and what they stood to make. Just really disgusting stuff to me.

And I suppose that's why my aspect of the hobby does hinge around a lower end of the spectrum even though I have the assets to play a little larger game. Lose trust and lose the fun.

With all the detection methods needing to be employed in recent years the overall message is that a lot of people will do a lot of things to make a few extra dollars and the simple collector ends up holding the ball.

John
    Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.
  • Options

<< <i>on issues such as Daniel Carr's 1964 Peace Dollars, The National Collectors Mint and such? >>

Differences of opinion are fine, they're healthy, but on this board people just beat a topic until it's dead then resurrect it and start all over again. It's as if some people think that if they just repeat the same opinion twenty or thirty times maybe then everyone will agree with them.

In my experience very few people believe that intelligent, honest people can have differences of opinions.

• Options

<< <i>Differences of opinion are fine, they're healthy, but on this board people just beat a topic until it's dead then resurrect it and start all over again. It's as if some people think that if they just repeat the same opinion twenty or thirty times maybe then everyone will agree with them. >>

Don't blame us, blame it on those that keep promoting the coin!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Someone needs some baby wipes for their rear end
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole nation and her people lack direction. It's leading to idle hands and infighting everywhere.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.......I must have missed the part about letting the proper authorities handling any possible improprieties ........

hey, this is great, we can do within this thread what the OP is ragging about. i tend to be on the side of those who didn't wet their pants with excitement over that copy. >>

image I almost wet my pants laughing over that statement...
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If we try to see things from other peoples' perspective there's a real risk of learning something. >>

And I ALWAYS read the posts by Bill Jones. Please add me to his list of "secret admirers." image >>

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find these boards to be very passive compared to a few other forums I follow. I see no issues. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file