Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why is there such polarization on these boards...

13»

Comments

• robecrobec Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Mr. Carr has added to furor. His so called, and self proclaimed, "fantasy" piece should be marked accordingly, NOT AUTHENTIC, as there are no 1964D Peace dollars known to exist.
    >>

Kind of ridiculous to put Not Authentic on something that doesn't exist. >>

Since there are no known 1964D Peace dollars that exist, Mr. Carr's altered coin is NOT AUTHENTIC. >>

Exactly, you proved my point. Why be redundant and mark something "Not Authentic" when there is no authentic example known to exist?

• << <i>

<< <i>If a "real" 1964 Peace Dollar shows up will the Carr Dollars be considered counterfeit? >>

No. The Secret Service will confiscated it and destroy it. Also, don't hold your breath waiting for one to show up. >>

What? Oh come on! Even if the Secret Service will confiscate it and destroy it, doens't it prove the existence of the genuine piece? If it doesn't exist, what the heck the Secret Service is confiscating?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>If a "real" 1964 Peace Dollar shows up will the Carr Dollars be considered counterfeit? >>

No. The Secret Service will confiscated it and destroy it. Also, don't hold your breath waiting for one to show up. >>

What? Oh come on! Even if the Secret Service will confiscate it and destroy it, doens't it prove the existence of the genuine piece? If it doesn't exist, what the heck the Secret Service is confiscating? >>

As I asked earlier, how could you prove one to be authentic?
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly, you proved my point. Why be redundant and mark something "Not Authentic" when there is no authentic example known to exist?

So it's okay if I bleach some $1 bills, and overprint them as $100 bills, with a "series 2007B" or some other difference that "doesn't exist", but otherwise exact replicas of US product, and then sell them, with full disclosure, to "collectors" for $50 each?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Exactly, you proved my point. Why be redundant and mark something "Not Authentic" when there is no authentic example known to exist?

So it's okay if I bleach some $1 bills, and overprint them as $100 bills, with a "series 2007B" or some other difference that "doesn't exist", but otherwise exact replicas of US product, and then sell them, with full disclosure, to "collectors" for $50 each? >>

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Exactly, you proved my point. Why be redundant and mark something "Not Authentic" when there is no authentic example known to exist?

So it's okay if I bleach some $1 bills, and overprint them as $100 bills, with a "series 2007B" or some other difference that "doesn't exist", but otherwise exact replicas of US product, and then sell them, with full disclosure, to "collectors" for $50 each? >>

One difference is that $100 are still spent in circulation. Peace dollars are not. That would be a clear case of counterfeiting with the intent to defraud.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    ..the dust has settled , all the orig. mintage has been sold ......

a truce is in order- it has been a true battle , casualties on both sides ......

a cease fire is what I desire , can we all back away from the key boards and let the chips fall where they may ?

<< <i>

One difference is that $100 are still spent in circulation. Peace dollars are not. That would be a clear case of counterfeiting with the intent to defraud. >>

I must have overlooked the $100 that appears on the Peace dollar.

<< <i>

<< <i>

One difference is that $100 are still spent in circulation. Peace dollars are not. That would be a clear case of counterfeiting with the intent to defraud. >>

I must have overlooked the $100 that appears on the Peace dollar. >>

imageimage
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what this thread needs is a link to the exact wording in the counterfiet Bill where it states about COPY needing to be visible.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I must have overlooked the $100 that appears on the Peace dollar. >>

imageimage >>

Just making reference to the changing of the $1 bill to a $100 bill. DCarr's Peace dollar doesn't have $100 on it.
  • BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sad.

I don't know what the law says but to me it boils down to this. If a person of reasonable intelligence and a knowledge expected in the course of a minimal due dilligence is able to determine that a coin or bill is not authentic then there is no need to put copy. Anything copied that is currently used in commerce is off limits unless it is grosely obvious.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Dcarr should make a fantasy coin dated in the future and see if that makes so much fuss. --Jerry

A very interesting idea!! In the Year 2525...........
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Dcarr should make a fantasy coin dated in the future and see if that makes so much fuss. --Jerry

A very interesting idea!! In the Year 2525........... >>

Why not 2013? After all, the world ends in 2012, right? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>..the dust has settled , all the orig. mintage has been sold ......

a truce is in order- it has been a true battle , casualties on both sides ......

a cease fire is what I desire , can we all back away from the key boards and let the chips fall where they may ? >>

My point, exactly!
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary

• << <i>So sad.

image >>

Ditto!

Gary
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not 2013? After all, the world ends in 2012, right? image

Or, maybe a coin dated 3000 BC.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..the dust has settled , all the orig. mintage has been sold ......

a cease fire is what I desire , can we all back away from the key boards and let the chips fall where they may ? >>

Will you also stop going back and topping these ridiculous threads with comments such as:
    " the matte is my favorite too"
    "the proof is my favorite too"
    "the blah blah blah is my favorite too"
    ?

How about the group of advocates for these just PM each other and stop trying to
    advertise these silver rounds to us coin collectors with new threads creatively trying
    to ask a new question/comment ?

Deal?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

<< <i>

<< <i>..the dust has settled , all the orig. mintage has been sold ......

Will you also stop going back and topping these ridiculous threads with comments such as:
    " the matte is my favorite too"
    "the proof is my favorite too"
    "the blah blah blah is my favorite too"
    ?

How about the group of advocates for these just PM each other and stop trying to
    advertise these silver rounds to us coin collectors with new threads creatively trying
    to ask a new question/comment ?

Deal? >>

Maybe the group that dislikes them so much could also PM each other instead of replying to the threads of those who enjoy the Carr Peace dollar. Certainly people have the right not to open any thread they are not interested in.
  • Now, we're getting somewhere. Intelligence is beginning to prevail. Put the attitudes, I'm mean opinions down, and slowly back away from these types of threads. BOTH SIDES!!! I for one, am not on these boards to hear your arguments for or against. If I want drama, Netflix works quite well. And I don't have to even leave my couch for that!

Gary
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are posting their resume of stupidity here for all to read.

<< <i>People are posting their resume of stupidity here for all to read. >>

I would like to nominate you for Mr congeniality for the day.
  • How about a nomination for Mr. Honesty and Reason!?! You have my vote!

Gary

• << <i>Now, we're getting somewhere. Intelligence is beginning to prevail. Put the attitudes, I'm mean opinions down, and slowly back away from these types of threads. BOTH SIDES!!! I for one, am not on these boards to hear your arguments for or against. If I want drama, Netflix works quite well. And I don't have to even leave my couch for that! >>

Comments like this won't work! If you want to stop both sides from commenting their thoughts on the subject matter, simply ask the moderator to lock or to remove the thread!
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimage >>

...how the hell did this nice roosy get into the mix image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

• << <i>As I asked earlier, how could you prove one to be authentic? >>

I must admit I have never seen a genuine 1964-D Peace dollar, but I think there are a few differences when you compare the genuine peace and the so called "Fantasy" peace. The real problem is that not many people know how to differenciate the two! People that motivated by greed exaggerated the facts about this "Fantasy" product as if it is something so unique, so RARE, and desirable... Sorry, those are false, and a few of us here have a problem with that.

<< <i>Like I said, If Carr's coins REALLY bother you, report him to the FED's. If they can't or wont do anything about it, end of story. Goldbully, I am not bashing anyone. I am pointing out that there is more in life to concern one's self with. And yes, I AM going through something and you are astute for recognizing it. I have been walking around with Stage 4 metastacized Lung Cancer for about 14 months now. The doctors gave me much less than a year to live. You couldn't tell by my outward appearance that there is anything going on. Internally though, there is. Certain things in life cause us to take an accounting of what is REALLY important in life. Sort of adjusting the importance meter. D. Carr, NCM and there ilk are not issues worthy of repeated (and sometimes venomous) banter. Yes, life is TOO short. I DO believe that I am not going anywhere in the near future (actually, I plan on starting to write a book this coming month ((shameless plug)) ). But come on, let's just move on. There is nothing more that can be said (constructively). Let's talk about coins or continue this at theunderwater crocheting boards.

Have a wonderful Sunday all (especially my Faith filled friends) image >>

Sorry to hear about your conditon. I am sure most on this board, no matter what their opinion would wish the best for you and hope a miracle comes your way. Keep the Faith.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Don't need a pill.
    I have these here glasses. image

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• ...how the hell did this nice roosy get into the mix

I knew this thread had potential so I figured I'd get a little attention...............image

• << <i>

<< <i>Now, we're getting somewhere. Intelligence is beginning to prevail. Put the attitudes, I'm mean opinions down, and slowly back away from these types of threads. BOTH SIDES!!! I for one, am not on these boards to hear your arguments for or against. If I want drama, Netflix works quite well. And I don't have to even leave my couch for that! >>

Comments like this won't work! If you want to stop both sides from commenting their thoughts on the subject matter, simply ask the moderator to lock or to remove the thread! >>

That would not help to get MY point across. I AM the one who started this thread, with a valid reason I may add. Too much belly aching on BOTH SIDES! I'm not talking about a Kumbaya moment, just civility. As said SOOOOOOO many times before on these boards, it's easy to sit behind a keyboard with a sense of bravado and fire away. Where IS the intelligence on the US board? It is certainly NOT represented in some of these posts. Debate is fine but, it too walks a thin line. Too bad there are some who leave real debate at the door in exchange for a fight. I've said it before, we do not have these 'problems' on the World forum. We were never issued a set of posting rules (which incidentally, stays locked at the top of the threads).

Thank you Coinsponge, for your KIND words! As a man who has Faith for sixteen years now, I recieve that in the Spirit in which it was intended. Thanks for also taking the TIME to READ my post.

Let's remember folks that, REAL PEOPLE are on this forum, not just avatars and fancy names!

Edited (as usual) for punctuation and spelling!

Gary
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    My father said it best... "If you want to make any money in the collectibles market; buy today, sell tomorrow." If you want to make any money on the 1964-D Carr creations... you should have bought them from his website. If you want to lose money on the 1964-D Carr creations, buy them on the secondary market.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
    JRocco .............Deal?

yes, you got a deal

<< <i>

<< <i>As I asked earlier, how could you prove one to be authentic? >>

I must admit I have never seen a genuine 1964-D Peace dollar, but I think there are a few differences when you compare the genuine peace and the so called "Fantasy" peace. The real problem is that not many people know how to differenciate the two! People that motivated by greed exaggerated the facts about this "Fantasy" product as if it is something so unique, so RARE, and desirable... Sorry, those are false, and a few of us here have a problem with that. >>

..............It can and will work if we all get off the horse..........maybe your not familiar with the term " cease fire" or "truce" or "move on" or "let it go" ?

back away from the keyboard ; turn and walk away and don't look back ........... choke down the overpowering urge to continue to stir the pot - to throw more wood on the fire - to further antagonize and

instigate responses to non positive comments :

at least try .........O.K ?
  • Yay! Cool heads are prevailing!

Gary

• << <i>on issues such as Daniel Carr's 1964 Peace Dollars, The National Collectors Mint and such? It seems to me that some folks on the US Boards have too much time on their hands. Live and let live. Let the proper authorities take care of any SUPPOSED wrong doing. These Boards were designed for the enjoyment, enhancment and comraderie of coin collecting. What happened? Just my NOT so humble opinion. >>

Yes, yes, yes, arf, arf, arf! Is that how you want us?
  • ..........like that other Paul said:

" Let it Be "
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ocho Reales,

I very much admire your great attitude during this battle in your life and pray all goes well for you.image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Coming from a fellow Believer, that means alot!

Gary
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like I said, If Carr's coins REALLY bother you, report him to the FED's. If they can't or wont do anything about it, end of story. Goldbully, I am not bashing anyone. I am pointing out that there is more in life to concern one's self with. And yes, I AM going through something and you are astute for recognizing it. I have been walking around with Stage 4 metastacized Lung Cancer for about 14 months now. The doctors gave me much less than a year to live. You couldn't tell by my outward appearance that there is anything going on. Internally though, there is. Certain things in life cause us to take an accounting of what is REALLY important in life. Sort of adjusting the importance meter. D. Carr, NCM and there ilk are not issues worthy of repeated (and sometimes venomous) banter. Yes, life is TOO short. I DO believe that I am not going anywhere in the near future (actually, I plan on starting to write a book this coming month ((shameless plug)) ). But come on, let's just move on. There is nothing more that can be said (constructively). Let's talk about coins or continue this at theunderwater crocheting boards.

Have a wonderful Sunday all (especially my Faith filled friends) image >>

My thoughts and prayers are with you, OchoReales!!!!
    Stay strong, my friend!!!
  • Thanks!

Gary
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just read your post regarding the battle you are in OchoReales.
    Being in the medical profession let me just say that you are in a fight, but
    you are in a position to make it a very good, long battle. I will say a prayer that you have
    strength and God on your side. Hang in, hang tough and make us all believers.
    Best,
    John
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    Y........A very good letter of the alphabet.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the call it Bi-polarization. image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    OchoReales, I'm in your corner!

The polarization comes from a few of the nerds who pass judgment here on the boards but would not dare do so face to face. They are the opposite of cool. They get their panties in a bunch over things that others laugh at.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are occasional differences of opinion that occur naturally in any open Forum of (relatively) learned individuals. Think ancient Rome (hence the word "Forum"). Airing ideas and evaluating opinions is the heart and soul of learning and engaging with others. There is sometimes a bit of crassness here, but you look at it, evaluate it for just what it is, and move on to more information, camaraderie, and learning.

But, I do hate looking at those two Doily inserts in Bajjerfan's sigline. You know he's just rubbing it in.

Drunner
  • How about a nomination for Mr. Honesty and Reason!?! You have my vote!

Argh! Back to the Darkside with ye, usurper!

imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file